IGNORED

Immediate cessation of riding - R1200RT

BitScribbler

Hi Weston,

Did you get a reply from the CEO?

Thanks,

Gordon

I am sure he did. The CEO probably invited him to an Octoberfest party at his home for some bratwurst in semmel and Spaten. :grin:

Hi Weston,

Thanks,

Gordon

Gordon,

In a word, "NO". But I do keep checking the mail.....

Weston

Hi Weston,

Thanks,

Gordon

I am sure he did. The CEO probably invited him to an Octoberfest party at his home for some bratwurst in semmel and Spaten. :grin:

Ponch,

Actually, I think if he is inclined to invite me, it probably wouldn't be before October since he would want to be sure the RT fix is complete and the stop order is lifted prior to my arrival....I'll be sure to let you know how the meal was.

Weston

Thanks Weston for your reply. It's disappointing that he or his staff wouldn't/didn't take the time to at least acknowledge your correspondence. Please let me know if you do get a response from him/his office.

Gordon

The news is good in Canada! I received the official letter from BMW Canada this morning.

from recall letter

" The dynamic ESA shock absorber will be replaced. we have received confirmation that the corrected shock absorber are now available. The actual repair may take up to one hour, however additional time may be required depending upon the BMW dealer's schedule".

I have 9 days until I leave for the east coast, sure would be nice to be on the 2014.

Thanks Weston for your reply. It's disappointing that he or his staff wouldn't/didn't take the time to at least acknowledge your correspondence. Please let me know if you do get a response from him/his office.

Gordon

Gordon,

You will enjoy this: yesterday I received an email from BMW NA asking me if I had made a decision regarding the customer options.

This shocked me because I had placed a call to CS as directed weeks ago -- actually within days of receiving the option form-- indicating my choice of Option 1 to keep the RT until the repair has been made and receive $2500 for the inconvenience. I was informed this choice would put me on the priority list for receiving the repair.

This morning I called CS to confirm that my record did indeed show I had selected Option 1, which they did confirm, as well as confirming that the new parts were scheduled to arrive at my dealership on Monday the 18th. Whew!

Then I called the person from BMW NA who sent me the shocking email to ask why he sent me the inquiry and why his records didn't show me as having selected Option 1. His reply was that the reason he sent me the email was in response to my letter to the CEO!

(As I've posted here previously, my letter to the CEO politely explained the frustration of not having any idea when the bike will be repaired, and asking that he intervene to change their policy of silence on the status of the recall progress so those of us loyal customers could at least feel somewhat informed after waiting through weeks of no communication whatsoever.)

When I asked him why he didn't say in his e-mail message he was responding to my letter to the CEO, the person kind of chuckled derisively and asked if I wanted a response to my letter. As you might guess, I said, "Yes, please." Let's see what happens now....

Weston

Thanks Weston for the info.

I am about to write to the CEO about my situation if I don't receive info that I believe I have a right to receive. I have several e-mails that corroborate the circumstances about which I will describe. It's best that I wait for his response before I decide my next course of action.

I'll let you know what transpires.

Apparently, things are a bit slower here in the southwest - I just received the recall notice. Nothing from the dealer since the "stop riding" call.

Apparently, things are a bit slower here in the southwest - I just received the recall notice. Nothing from the dealer since the "stop riding" call.

Which dealer?

Got a call from my Dealer in Nashville, Tn. this morning and instructed me to go ahead and call road side assistance to pick up my bike one day next week. The bikes are being repaired in the order they were sold. Mine is #214 in the U.S. He was expecting my shock in maybe mid to late week or first of the next week. The repair time is very short. Now I can plan a ride.....

Edit/Delete Message

In the UK, my bike has been fixed, first service complete and the farkels fitted! (BMW cylinder head guards) will be back with my self tomorrow courtesy of a delivery service

with a 3 month warranty extension, full tank of fuel and a valet (on a clean bike!)

Hopefully now I can get on with some riding!

Which dealer?

GoAZ - Scottsdale.

Which dealer?

GoAZ - Scottsdale.

I've been to both for warranty work, but I usually go to Victory BMW. Unless I need my bike washed. :)

Which dealer?

GoAZ - Scottsdale.

I've been to both for warranty work, but I usually go to Victory BMW. Unless I need my bike washed. :)

I hear ya. This is my 4th bike purchased from GoAZ - they have improved over the years - not to mention the location is more convenient (as I'm sure it is for you being in Fountain Hills) I'm sure once they know something solid, they will contact me.

Which dealer?

GoAZ - Scottsdale.

I hear ya. This is my 4th bike purchased from GoAZ - they have improved over the years - not to mention the location is more convenient (as I'm sure it is for you being in Fountain Hills) I'm sure once they know something solid, they will contact me.

GOAZ is closer and I like the sales staff better, at least the one's I have met, but I've had mixed results in other areas. Victory is more mom and pop, but it's further away and they don't wash the bike afterwards. :)

Today my dealer called to say on the BMW dealer website a message was posted saying the shocks are scheduled to arrive on the 19th, which is tomorrow. The posting said they are giving priority according to when the bikes were originally purchased, and the shocks are apparently specifically ear-marked by VIN.

My general understanding is that there are about 800 affected RT bikes in the US; the dealer told me my number was around 450 in the queue. It's not clear if BMW will send out the replacement shocks in one mailing or.....??

Hopefully I'll have more positive news to report in the next day or so.

Weston

Today my dealer called to say on the BMW dealer website a message was posted saying the shocks are scheduled to arrive on the 19th, which is tomorrow. The posting said they are giving priority according to when the bikes were originally purchased, and the shocks are apparently specifically ear-marked by VIN.

My general understanding is that there are about 800 affected RT bikes in the US; the dealer told me my number was around 450 in the queue. It's not clear if BMW will send out the replacement shocks in one mailing or.....??

Weston

Yes received my recall letter Saturday and stopped by the dealer in the afternoon. Confirmed the shocks would be coming in this week and they are to be replaced in the order that the bikes were sold. First sold, first repaired, I am #4 at the dealership so not sure how fast that will go. They will be calling when its my turn and said should all be behind us within the next 2-3 weeks. So, not sure if they are shipping all the shocks for the dealership at once, or if they are trickling in.

He also said that the shock manufacturer did not have all the electronics in stock to complete the swap process. BMW had to pull shocks from completed bikes that were not shipped to send them the electronic components to get the sold bikes repaired before selling any of the new ones. What a logistics mess...

Weston

Purchased mine mid-February. No idea as to where that puts me on the first-sold-first-fixed scenario, but thanks for posting Weston.

BitScribbler

As the OP, I feel we're finally reaching closure on this thread, as more riders report fixes. My dealer called me yesterday with the excellent news that my bike was repaired, valeted and going to be topped up with fuel. I'll be returning the GS and fetching the RT back this week sometime.

Really looking forward to my upcoming trip to bonny Scootland, when I can fully compare the RT against the GS. Having toured France on the GS, honestly, I don't know how this comparison will turn out! They're both damn good bikes.

Dealer just called right before closing....

My baby is fixed and is ready to pick up tomorrow (Touring Sport BMW).

Have to sign some paperwork and then turn in the loaner (my old K1600GT).

Can't wait!

Visited my dealer today and saw the list. I'm #75 overall...#1 for my dealer. Only the first 30 were colored in green, so not sure when the next batch of shocks will be released. Still a light at the end of the tunnel.....and I'm praying it's not a freight train.

Happy riding!

Barry

Did anyone else just get the official good news from BMWNA that I did? Great news if its' true!!! Looks like I'm actually #2 at my dealership. Russell Day Long Ride In and 12 day Colorado ride here we come!!!

I went on a quick ride last night on the fixed RT, its amazing the difference in engine character between the RT and GS!

RT is definitely the right choice for me, the fairing is superb

Good news for all ! All shocks will be at the dealer by Thursday !!

Dear BMW Motorrad R 1200 RT Customer,

R 1200 RT Stop Ride Customer Care Package - PARTS AVAILABILITY UPDATE

The anticipated R 1200 RT Dynamic ESA replacement rear shock absorbers started arriving at the dealers today. Attached is the national list of RT customers who have chosen option 1 and 2 and are awaiting their shock for the repair of their RT. If you received this email, you are an option 1 or 2 customer. The list order is based on the original retail delivery date as per the Retail Delivery Record punched by the dealer which established the in service date of the motorcycle.

Today the initial allotment of the first 32 Dynamic ESA shock absorbers arrived at the dealers. These are allocated to customers’ 1 through 32 on the attached list. Today BMW shipped 426 shock absorbers which are arriving at the dealers tomorrow. As of tomorrow, customer 1 through 458 on the list has a shock at their dealership awaiting them. Tomorrow we anticipate the remaining 69 units to be shipped for arrival at the dealerships by Thursday. We have ample supply of the shock absorbers and every customer should be in the final preparation of having the dealer arrange the service visit to bring your motorcycle back to you as quickly as possible.

BMW Motorrad USA wants to thank each and every customer for their patience during this challenge.

Please enjoy every mile on your BMW R 1200 RT, as it was intended to bring joy. Ride safely.

BMW Motorrad USA

Received the email from my dealer today that the rear strut is in for my RT only problem is I am away for the next two weeks and can't get my bike picked up.

No matter there will be a pickup soon :)

Teddy

Received the email from my dealer today that the rear strut is in for my RT only problem is I am away for the next two weeks and can't get my bike picked up.

Teddy

Lucky bugger

So far nothing for me

Teddy

Lucky bugger

So far nothing for me

That's a bit cruel, I guess you can take yours in too but I can't yet?

Hopefully you will hear something sooner rather than later.

Teddy

My dealer called me yesterday to tell me my shock is in. I called BMW Roadside Assist to get the bike transported to the dealer as per the letter I received. The guy at RA said they could only take the bike to the nearest dealer or 50 miles. Although I have a local dealer, I bought mine in Fresno, 110 miles away. I said "Then we have a problem, because I bought it in Fresno and I can't ride it there". He put me on hold for 15 minutes. When he came back on the phone he said they would transport the bike to Fresno. Good answer. They are picking it up this morning.

waiting-by-the-phone.jpg

Pat

LOL

Yep, it's a bit like that.

It's a whole lot like that! Been patient but the latest letter from BMW showing me #125 in the country (#4 at my dealer) has got me amped for a long ride...camping gear is ready to go. Dealer asked that I not call roadside assistance until they get the the invoice with my VIN and name on it (they are up to their ears in bikes) so can't wait!!

update in my email from BMW below...

Today the initial allotment of the first 32 Dynamic ESA shock absorbers arrived at the dealers. These are allocated to customers’ 1 through 32 on the attached list. Today BMW shipped 426 shock absorbers which are arriving at the dealers tomorrow. As of tomorrow, customer 1 through 458 on the list has a shock at their dealership awaiting them. Tomorrow we anticipate the remaining 69 units to be shipped for arrival at the dealerships by Thursday. We have ample supply of the shock absorbers and every customer should be in the final preparation of having the dealer arrange the service visit to bring your motorcycle back to you as quickly as possible.

Let the Beta testing begin!

My bike is home and all is good... Touring Sport BMW in Greenville, SC fixed it yesterday, but I did not get over to them until after work tonight. It was great to be back "home" on the bike heading home.

I received the same message. According to the BMW roster I am #486 so if the shock arrives tomorrow (Thursday) I'll be a much happier camper.....still, in this case, seeing will be believing!

Weston

Walked into my dealership today and asked if they have heard anything about my shock.

Was told that it was ordered. (WTF)

Told them that everywhere around the world customers were already receiving their shocks, including Australia and these were allocated per VIN number to the owners bikes.

Long story short, my shock had just arrived ......

Bike is booked in for tomorrow to have the shock and outstanding accessories installed.

Will be picking it up in the afternoon.

I received the same message. According to the BMW roster I am #486 so if the shock arrives tomorrow (Thursday) I'll be a much happier camper.....still, in this case, seeing will be believing!

Weston

Bad news -- nothing arrived today at the dealership. Boo hoo....

Does anyone know details regarding the parts utilized for the repair or what was upgraded, redesigned, etc? Also, I assume they utilized the same manufacturer to right the wrong. Is that a correct assumption?

Can't give you a quotable source, but my understanding is that the shaft was threaded to attach the damping piston. Improper machining at the transition from the thread to the solid shaft caused the shaft to crack/break at that point. I think the original shock was made by Sachs(?), picture of a new shock over on the BMW LT forum seems to have a Marzocchi sticker.

Archived