IGNORED

Immediate cessation of riding - R1200RT

BitScribbler

I never received anything in writing from BMW, nor did I receive a call back from BMW CS. The only information I received was what my dealer "leaked" to me. If BMW were a bit more forthcoming, I wouldn't have any gripes at all. I enjoy the bike too much to opt for anything other than keeping it.

Throughout this mess I was distracted by deadlined airplane though.... Without that distraction I may have been a bit more aggravated.

Well I asked BMW specifically for a letter outlining their offer to me and here in Aus I think most people by now would have got a letter from BMW Aus outlining the problem with the bike (the rear suspension strut) as well as an expected time for repairs which should commence 90 days from the phone advice of the 6th June.

To me that is a satisfactory response from BMW considering they have around 8000 bikes worldwide to deal with.

On another note I rode through freezing fog -1C to take the R1200R in for its 1,000km service. Got it back at lunchtime and if the bike isn't repaired by 10,000kms they can do another service on it.

Geez I hope it doesn't take them that long for the repair!

Teddy :)

Thanks Teddy.

What do you think of the R1200R?

Great bike the "R", just doesn't have the weather protection that the RT has, it also has the camhead motor from earlier RT's but I can live with that, it's a sweet engine. It would be a great bike for a hot summer :)

Teddy

I'm about 90% sure it is the same vendor, Marazocci, which was acquired by Tenneco. Sounds like a very similar defect as well.

Everyone likes to slam the product liability lawyers, myself included, for their excesses but situations like this can justify the product litigation process. If a company produced a faulty shock with a defective component putting numerous riders at risk and then proceeded to essentially do the same then they deserve to die in flames before they get a third chance.

Obviously, just my opinion.

Latest update on repurchase. I just heard from CS today that all was approved and that I would hear from a third party transfer vendor to meet at the dealer and receive my check. I will post when it actually occurs.

Latest update on repurchase. I just heard from CS today that all was approved and that I would hear from a third party transfer vendor to meet at the dealer and receive my check. I will post when it actually occurs.

Received check today from BMWNA via UPS (sent by third party located in Texas). Check was for full amount of purchase, including taxes and license fees.

OzarkR1200RT

Congratulations! Out of curiosity did your buy back cover any accessories? If so, just BMW or aftermarket? Just time of purchase or accessories added after the fact? Thx

Congratulations! Out of curiosity did your buy back cover any accessories? If so, just BMW or aftermarket? Just time of purchase or accessories added after the fact? Thx

The buy back included all accessories that were part of purchase. The dealer refunded the accessories I purchased after the original deal (e.g., top case and tank bag).

Just now returned from my dealer, European Cycle Sports, Plano, Texas where I turned in my bike under the repurchase agreement w/BMW.

Tow truck showed up on time (BMW Roadside Assistance called to set up the pickup & then called during the process to make sure all was well), truck followed me to the dealer where we met with the guy from "Impartial Services Group" (representing BMW N.A.) & folks from the dealership, signed the papers, received the check & was on my way.

Except for the initial (way too long!) lack of communication, this has not been a bad experience. Unlike folks still waiting on a time line for repair, once I confirmed the bike was going back things did progress at a realistic pace to todays resolution.

That being said, if I were waiting on shock to be repaired & knew as little about "when" at this late date I'd be pretty damn upset.

Special thanks to my dealership (Karl & Elvis in particular) for their ongoing help during this process.

Good luck to all those stuck in this situation. Hope all is resolved soon!

Bought my old '05 RT back from the friend I sold it to (he wasn't riding it) to ride until I figure what's next. At least it's farkled to death! :)

Just now returned from my dealer, European Cycle Sports, Plano, Texas where I turned in my bike under the repurchase agreement w/BMW.

Tow truck showed up on time (BMW Roadside Assistance called to set up the pickup & then called during the process to make sure all was well), truck followed me to the dealer where we met with the guy from "Impartial Services Group" (representing BMW N.A.) & folks from the dealership, signed the papers, received the check & was on my way.

Except for the initial (way too long!) lack of communication, this has not been a bad experience. Unlike folks still waiting on a time line for repair, once I confirmed the bike was going back things did progress at a realistic pace to todays resolution.

That being said, if I were waiting on shock to be repaired & knew as little about "when" at this late date I'd be pretty damn upset.

Special thanks to my dealership (Karl & Elvis in particular) for their ongoing help during this process.

Good luck to all those stuck in this situation. Hope all is resolved soon!

Bought my old '05 RT back from the friend I sold it to (he wasn't riding it) to ride until I figure what's next. At least it's farkled to death! :)

So what are you getting to replace it?

Good question. Taking a hard look @ '15 GSA (never owned one but rode it for an hour or so & really liked it.)

Considered a '13 "Anniversary Edition" RT but prefer the smoothness of the new wet-head engine.

I really liked the '14 RT but truth be told, probably not the ride for me. Both knees are shot (rods in both) & the GSA just feels more comfortable for these old bones.

Still, that black Cherry RT sure looks nice!

Now that I'm forced to think about it out loud, I think it'll be a 2015 GSA.

Wish you luck with the GSA, really liking my 14 GTL swap. The ride position for me is much better than the RTW, ride and handling are pretty amazing.

Just a note on the GSA my riding buddy was a GSA guy for life ... Till he rode my GTL with his wife on the back ... Straight to BMW Baton Rouge for his new GTL ... At least he picked a different color.

Ride safe my friend.

Good question. Taking a hard look @ '15 GSA (never owned one but rode it for an hour or so & really liked it.)

Considered a '13 "Anniversary Edition" RT but prefer the smoothness of the new wet-head engine.

I really liked the '14 RT but truth be told, probably not the ride for me. Both knees are shot (rods in both) & the GSA just feels more comfortable for these old bones.

Still, that black Cherry RT sure looks nice!

Now that I'm forced to think about it out loud, I think it'll be a 2015 GSA.

Stopped by the shop today to see if any progress was being made towards a fix. I got the impression that parts may not show up until this riding season is over. I dug out my paperwork.

Pat

At last, the email we have been waiting for:

Dear BMW Motorrad R 1200 RT Customer:

R 1200 RT Stop Ride Customer Care Package - PARTS AVAILABILITY UPDATE

BMW Motorrad USA would like to thank you for your patience through this very challenging MY 2014 R 1200 RT Stop Ride and Recall. BMW is very aware how this affected you; the BMW retail customer, as well how it affected the dealer network. We have been working diligently to manage this issue through to a positive outcome.

In our June 23rd email to all affected RT Stop Ride customers, BMW Motorrad USA offered a “Customer Care” package which provided a selection of flexible compensation solutions and options to meet the various and unique needs of those affected.

The outcome of customer choice is that the majority of customers have chosen to keep their RT’s and await the replacement Dynamic ESA Shock Absorber.

Since the early days of this challenge, BMW has been working closely with the supplier to plan, prepare and ramp up production of the replacement Dynamic ESA shock absorbers to meet our needs.

As a result, BMW Motorrad USA is very pleased to announce that the US market is officially scheduled to begin receiving the replacement Dynamic ESA shock absorbers during the week of August 11th. As these units are put into inventory and identified for each customer awaiting the repair, these shocks will begin to arrive at the dealerships during the week of August 18th.

Every customer will be receiving a NHTSA compliant recall letter to announce the recall. This letter will also identify the parts available to begin the repairs. Once you receive the recall announcement letter you should begin to contact your dealer to schedule the repair appointment and to arrange the transport of the motorcycle to the dealer.

For customers who have not yet made a decision in the option they have selected for themselves we are hoping that the shock availability identified here will give you the information you have been waiting for in order to make your choice. Option 1 can always be selected if you now choose to keep the motorcycle and to receive the $2500 compensation.

If you have any further questions, you can also call us on 1-800-525-7417, Monday through Friday 9am-9pm EST.

Sincerely,

BMW Motorrad USA.

Got my letter at 12:01AM this morning and will check with my dealer today to set a date certain for the repair.

It's been a long, deeply frustrating and dark silence for us awaiting news of the fix schedule, but now at least there's light at the end of this tunnel.

I love this bike -- my feelings for BMW's communication managers however, is the exact opposite; they would not last at my company!

Weston

BMW Motorrad USA would like to thank you for your patience through this very challenging MY 2014 R 1200 RT Stop Ride and Recall. BMW is very aware how this affected you; the BMW retail customer, as well how it affected the dealer network. We have been working diligently to manage this issue through to a positive outcome.

In our June 23rd email to all affected RT Stop Ride customers, BMW Motorrad USA offered a “Customer Care” package which provided a selection of flexible compensation solutions and options to meet the various and unique needs of those affected.

The outcome of customer choice is that the majority of customers have chosen to keep their RT’s and await the replacement Dynamic ESA Shock Absorber.

Since the early days of this challenge, BMW has been working closely with the supplier to plan, prepare and ramp up production of the replacement Dynamic ESA shock absorbers to meet our needs.

As a result, BMW Motorrad USA is very pleased to announce that the US market is officially scheduled to begin receiving the replacement Dynamic ESA shock absorbers during the week of August 11th. As these units are put into inventory and identified for each customer awaiting the repair, these shocks will begin to arrive at the dealerships during the week of August 18th.

Every customer will be receiving a NHTSA compliant recall letter to announce the recall. This letter will also identify the parts available to begin the repairs. Once you receive the recall announcement letter you should begin to contact your dealer to schedule the repair appointment and to arrange the transport of the motorcycle to the dealer.

For customers who have not yet made a decision in the option they have selected for themselves we are hoping that the shock availability identified here will give you the information you have been waiting for in order to make your choice. Option 1 can always be selected if you now choose to keep the motorcycle and to receive the $2500 compensation.

If you have any further questions, you can also call us on 1-800-525-7417, Monday through Friday 9am-9pm EST.

Sincerely,

BMW Motorrad USA.

Got my letter at 12:01AM this morning

You must live closer to BMW headquarters, got mine at 12:07AM :grin: Hope it's not BS because I sweated over a decision change yesterday. I'll stay the course for now.

Pat

I have been working on a buyback and have signed the deal. I purchased a non-BMW replacement and am very happy with it. I fortunately did not miss all of the riding season. For me the lack of communication, the way I was treated as a formerly loyal customer, and the lack of cooperation from my dealership sealed the deal. True character showed itself in many ways.

The settlement is very fair and very comprehensive. I had mine reviewed by my attorney just to make sure. If any of you have questions about this PM me and I can help if I can.

The utter lack of concern for the options that were not ultimately available to me forced me into no other choice IMHO.

In a way it was rather refreshing. I was brand blind for many years and this forced me into looking elsewhere. There is an amazing variety of motorcycles available and more entering the marketspace every day. I ultimately bought a bike that was 1/2 the price of the RT and I haven't had this much fun in a few years.....probably not since my 07 RT purchase.

Anyway.....I will be able to go on my trip in a few weeks and not have to worry about a thing other than just riding and enjoying the trip.

To all of you good luck with your choice and future endeavors.

Don

BMW said the shock will be ready Aug 11 and should be getting to dealers by the 18th. Let's hope.

what is the source of this statement?

BMW said the shock will be ready Aug 11 and should be getting to dealers by the 18th. Let's hope.

what is the source of this statement?

Here

Sincerely,

BMW Motorrad USA.

Not that I posted the email letter but, I sure hope it helps you guys out. :thumbsup:

Thinking about this a little bit & growing up with siblings, I also see it with my own two. You/they are very aware of how everyone else is being treated around you/them, fairness is very important.

Very similar with BMW and RT owners around the globe.

I hope BMW treats all its customers fair.

Pat

My dealer sent me a txt message last night. Yes, on a Sunday. He said they anticipate receiving shocks in about three weeks. Yay, but I still have my fingers crossed….

I hope BMW treats all its customers fair.

Pat

I hope so too, but some markets are more important than others, well in BMW's eyes anyway. It's still just over a month away before the 52 odd (approx) Aussies get their RT's repaired.

Perhaps BMW in their wisdom think that Aussies don't use their bikes so much in winter? Perhaps the string of three below -6C temperatures has put a few Canberrans off riding but the afternoons are nice for riding with tops of 10-13C.

No matter we will get our bikes repaired soon and we will be happy bunnies again coming into a hopefully warmer spring.

Teddy

Morning Teddy

Where did you get the info from that we are still a months away??

The letter from BMW, saying 90 days from first notification, ie about 4/9/14.

Teddy

I wonder if it would have been cheaper and easier to put Wilbers shocks on the bike and transfer the ESA components? I bet there are contracts involved with the original shock manufacturer and lawyers, but from a resolution standpoint...

... It's still just over a month away before the 52 odd (approx) Aussies get their RT's repaired...

Teddy

I've heard others say that Aussies are odd, and now an Aussie has confirmed it. :grin:

... It's still just over a month away before the 52 odd (approx) Aussies get their RT's repaired...

Teddy

I've heard others say that Aussies are odd, and now an Aussie has confirmed it. :grin:

Odd yes, interesting always......oh don't forget `bloody charming'.

Argo

Sydney Australia

Former owner of a '14 RT

Here is the official recall notice in the United States:

Report Receipt Date: JUN 12, 2014

NHTSA Campaign Number: 14V320000

Component(s):

Potential Number of Units Affected: 950

All Products Associated with this Recall

Details

1 Associated Document

Manufacturer: BMW of North America, LLC

SUMMARY:

BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain model year 2014 R1200 RT motorcycles manufactured November 27, 2013, to May 5, 2014. The affected vehicles have a Dynamic Electronic Suspension Adjustment (ESA) rear shock absorber. The piston rod within the rear shock absorber can break without warning, causing loss of stability.

CONSEQUENCE:

If the piston rod breaks it will cause loss of stability, increasing the risk of a vehicle crash.

REMEDY:

BMW will notify owners, and dealers will replace the Dynamic ESA shock absorber, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin in July 2014. Owners may contact BMW Customer Relations at 1-800-525-7417. Note: Owners are advised not to ride their motorcycles until they have been remedied.

NOTES:

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM456984/RCDNN-14V320-8223P.pdf

Check your date of manufacture.

Hopefully this helps!

Cheers.

Coincidently, I received a customer satisfaction survey link from BMW to rate my satisfaction with customer service. I was as honest as possible.

Progress...I hope. BMW NA called today as did the dealer. They are picking up my bike tomorrow. Parts due in next week. Should get it back the following week...With any luck will be riding before the month is over...

Progress... Parts due in next week. Should get it back the following week...With any luck will be riding before the month is over...

my-fingers-are-crossed-smiley-emoticon.gif

Pat

My dealer called also. Said it would take an extra week or so for the parts to get to the west coast. He will be picking up my bike next week.

Initially he asked me to call road side assistance to get the bike picked up, but I am about an hour away and I don't know if they will take it that far. After thinking about it, the dealer said he would figure out some arrangements.

My dealer is a good five hours away. He said that BMW will ship my RT to him for the repair, but I'll believe it when I see it.

BMW NA has been less than responsive when I asked about extending the warranty for the time my bike has been off the road.

Bike was picked up by mercedes van outfitted especially for motorcycles with wheel lock and soft straps...Dealer called and said it arrived safe and sound. We'll see how long it is before I see it again...

Jaqen H'ghar
Bike was picked up by mercedes van outfitted especially for motorcycles with wheel lock and soft straps...Dealer called and said it arrived safe and sound. We'll see how long it is before I see it again...

Your lucky to have such a dealer, mine here in Orange County Ca. called me twice, once to tell me to stop riding and again to ask which option I would like, no info or contact other then that and after I spent over $28K there. Nothing stops them from getting their profit, nothing. Taking the time to call its customers and informing them takes time and time they do not want to spare. If you detect a bit of anger and disappointment with them on my part your right.

My dealer is 54 miles away, I have no reservations of riding to the shop considering the miles I put on the bike before the cease riding order.

Archived