IGNORED

Immediate cessation of riding - R1200RT

BitScribbler

Hi Larry the original shock was manufactured by Marzocchi and I assume BMW were getting them to replace them since they were at fault.

Graham

The shocks are not getting replaced, they are being repaired/upgraded. The shocks had to be shipped away ( not sure if they went back overseas or where? ) for repair.

The shocks are not getting replaced, they are being repaired/upgraded. The shocks had to be shipped away ( not sure if they went back overseas or where? ) for repair.

Not true on customer delivered bikes prior to June 5. The shock on my bike that was replaced was a NEW, never installed on ANYTHING unit. All customers that kept their bikes get factory fresh units. Unsold inventory during the last 79 days had shocks shipped to BMW in Germany to have them repaired (strut replaced with new one and keeping the never used ESA component electronics).

Does anyone know details regarding the parts utilized for the repair or what was upgraded, redesigned, etc? Also, I assume they utilized the same manufacturer to right the wrong. Is that a correct assumption?

They stayed with Marzocchi on the replacement units. They are new parts (not rebuilt units).

waiting-by-the-phone.jpg

Pat

Well the phone rang, sort of. I took a ride up to the shop and yes they have my new shock.

Problem is, my front wheel is still off the bike. Say what? :eek: Yeah, I bent my freshly powder coated wheel on one of this nations MX tracks, oops, I mean national highways right before the recall.

Their tire machine is OOS at the moment waiting on a plastic no scratch your rim thingy, which is ok by me because I do not like scratched rims. Some might say I'm the A word about my bikes. :grin:

Once they get the wheel back on they will install the new shock and I should be riding sometime next week. :clap:

Sorry for the ramble but I had to tell somebody that cares! :grin:

Pat

I should have said "all bikes returned to the dealer". There the shock was removed and sent off. I can see where that would be a problem for owners that would not/did not return their bikes to the dealer. Those would be candidates for a new unit.

update in my email from BMW below...

Today the initial allotment of the first 32 Dynamic ESA shock absorbers arrived at the dealers. These are allocated to customers’ 1 through 32 on the attached list. Today BMW shipped 426 shock absorbers which are arriving at the dealers tomorrow. As of tomorrow, customer 1 through 458 on the list has a shock at their dealership awaiting them. Tomorrow we anticipate the remaining 69 units to be shipped for arrival at the dealerships by Thursday. We have ample supply of the shock absorbers and every customer should be in the final preparation of having the dealer arrange the service visit to bring your motorcycle back to you as quickly as possible.

I received the same message. According to the BMW roster I am #486 so if the shock arrives tomorrow (Thursday) I'll be a much happier camper.....still, in this case, seeing will be believing!

Weston

Despite receipt of the email from BMWNA quoted above that all Option 1 and 2 customers will have a replacement shock delivered to their dealer yesterday (Thursday), nothing has been received as of the end of the day Friday. Still waiting for the seeing -- believing has ceased to be a realistic option it seems.

Weston

Jay wrote:

...$2500 check...

Does that mean you are free to spend it any way you choose---not just on BMW gear?

Today the initial allotment of the first 32 Dynamic ESA shock absorbers arrived at the dealers. These are allocated to customers’ 1 through 32 on the attached list. Today BMW shipped 426 shock absorbers which are arriving at the dealers tomorrow. As of tomorrow, customer 1 through 458 on the list has a shock at their dealership awaiting them. Tomorrow we anticipate the remaining 69 units to be shipped for arrival at the dealerships by Thursday. We have ample supply of the shock absorbers and every customer should be in the final preparation of having the dealer arrange the service visit to bring your motorcycle back to you as quickly as possible.

I received the same message. According to the BMW roster I am #486 so if the shock arrives tomorrow (Thursday) I'll be a much happier camper.....still, in this case, seeing will be believing!

Weston

Despite receipt of the email from BMWNA quoted above that all Option 1 and 2 customers will have a replacement shock delivered to their dealer yesterday (Thursday), nothing has been received as of the end of the day Friday. Still waiting for the seeing -- believing has ceased to be a realistic option it seems.

Weston

Letter to the CEO helped, how?

Weston

Weston

Letter to the CEO helped, how?

Still have not received a reply -- this may be it - in the form of retaliation!

Weston

I hope it's green.

smiley-ashamed006.gif

I know......but, this one is actually a very rare color for a ZRX. I guess I should buy the thing before I continue to blab about it.

Pat

Nice looking bike. I always liked the looks. How many miles are on it?

6400 miles. I posted a couple pics in M/C talk. $3,500.00.

And this is all relevant to the original topic? Please, mods, put this thread out of its misery!

Hey Bit, my RT is still broken. ;):grin:

Pat

I'm back on the road! Got the new shock installed at 9:30 yesterday (8/22). When I walked in, there was a brand new shock sitting in bubble wrap on the counter. The dealer said that all the shocks were either new, or pulled from new bikes and sent in to be retrofitted.

I received an email today with a letter that BMW wants notarized and returned to I can receive my $2,500 check. I can post it if anyone is interested.

I did end up spending $750 of that on a NAV 5 that I regretted not getting when I purchased the bike.

Just wanted to say that Brown BMW in Pomona was really great throughout this whole process. The owner called me personally to let me know the status at least 4-5 times.

While I was in there, they also replaced another item - a screw for the shift-assist connector. It looked like a small M4 type screw with thread locker on it.

Jaqen H'ghar

I received an email today with a letter that BMW wants notarized and returned to I can receive my $2,500 check. I can post it if anyone is interested.

Your dealer should have given you your $2500 then and there. Mine did and i'm in Irvine.

Your dealer should have given you your $2500 then and there. Mine did and i'm in Irvine.

Not true according to South Sound BMW. Some dealers are choosing to pay in advance, the process is supposed to be between BMW Corp. and the customer.

My bike is on the road again also and rides like she always did.

Jaqen H'ghar

Not true according to South Sound BMW. Some dealers are choosing to pay in advance, the process is supposed to be between BMW Corp. and the customer.

I'm really glad then that I bought mine where I did and not South Sound BMW.

Picked up the RT Sat AM, all in working order. It's great to have it back; also handed a $2500 check. Gateway (in St.Louis)is a really good dealership. BMW corporate could take a few lessons from them in terms of keeping your customer informed.

Well lookie there, a hitchhiker. ;) I'll post a glamor shot or two in M/C Talk.

image_zps74d2fbdc.jpg

Pat

Pat - I owned a 2001 ZRX (green, of course) for many years. It was the best motorcycle I've ever owned (except perhaps for my new RTW). Even after five+ years, I'm still sorry I sold it. Enjoy, it is a bike that will simply make you smile every time you ride it.

I feel your pain Bruce, certain bikes can leave a lasting impression and I'm betting this ZRX is going to be one of them. :thumbsup:

Should be getting my RT back this week also, complete overload of M/C fun I tell ya! :clap:

Pat

I'm #47 (purchased 2/15) Got my new shock replaced on Monday. The dealership didn't have a Notary, so I had to take the release form with me to get my signature notarized and bring it back. Not the best customer experience. (all the service guy said when I suggested I wasn't pleased, all he could come up with was "your getting $2,500" (as if I shouldn't complain about having to go someplace to have my acceptance signature notarized)

At least it's done - now we'll see how long before the check arrives.

The BMW here in Ventura County was told that they could act as the notary on this and handled everything there in service. NO need to go out and get it done.

I'm #47 (purchased 2/15) Got my new shock replaced on Monday. The dealership didn't have a Notary, so I had to take the release form with me to get my signature notarized and bring it back. Not the best customer experience. (all the service guy said when I suggested I wasn't pleased, all he could come up with was "your getting $2,500" (as if I shouldn't complain about having to go someplace to have my acceptance signature notarized)

I am surprised. GOAZ is supposed to be so "customer focused". May be you should let Bob Parsons know how it was handled.

I am surprised. GOAZ is supposed to be so "customer focused". May be you should let Bob Parsons know how it was handled.

Agreed. I was surprised as well. Not what I typically get from GoAZ. I didn't recognize the service advisor, so I'm going to chalk it up to being a newbie. The folks at Scottsdale HD next door were very helpful (also part of the Parson's empire as you know)

Like RoadWolf I got my bike fixed thanks to outstanding customer service by Touring Sport in Greenville, SC. Had a grin on my face the whole 280 miles home.

Like RoadWolf I got my bike fixed thanks to outstanding customer service by Touring Sport in Greenville, SC. Had a grin on my face the whole 280 miles home.

Great guys there... I was the first to get mine fixed and they took care of me. Glad I kept the RT... it is amazing.

Why was it outstanding customer service?

Roadside Assistance balked at hauling my bike there since there are two other dealers who are closer. Didn't seem to matter to them that my new shock was sitting at Touring Sport, where I bought the bike. So the GM left his house at 5:00 AM to come fetch my bike and l, bought me lunch on the way there and they had me on the road in time to get back home. Pretty outstanding if you ask me!

Agreed. I was surprised as well. Not what I typically get from GoAZ. I didn't recognize the service advisor, so I'm going to chalk it up to being a newbie. The folks at Scottsdale HD next door were very helpful (also part of the Parson's empire as you know)

How did the HD folks help with a BMW?

Scottsdale Harley Davidson and GoAZ are all part of the same Bob Parsons ownership group

Good News - Picked up my freshly repaired RTW and rode it 120 miles home without a shock failure.

Bad News - Like many others, I was handed a release form that requires a notary. Then I need to return it to the dealership. Then they need to submit it to BMW. Then the warranty repair gets approved by BMW. Then I get a check mailed to me. My best guess is another two months until I see the check.

I don't know how some of you are saying that the dealership handed you a check. Very nice of them.

Scottsdale Harley Davidson and GoAZ are all part of the same Bob Parsons ownership group

I know that, but they are in completely separate buildings and just wondered why they'd be helpful that for all intents and purposes it's a separate entity as all they sell is HD. The BMW store if you will is on the south side of the campus across the way. I think I heard that Parsons is building a new HD dealer somewhere around there that's supposed to be the biggest.

Jaqen H'ghar

I was upset with my dealer when I went to pick up my bike because i heard so little from them during the 10 weeks, then they handed me the papers to sign and the owner handed me the check, I went from "upset and pissed" to "happy and compliant", go figure.

Rode to the dealer on Friday. Took about 2 hours, signed a release form, and they handed me a check. Also, there was a recall on the heated seat which required a programing update.

Alan

Sure agree with you there. Now you have clarified I have to agree.

I am also made a little disillusioned with Roadside Assist in not readily complying with your obvious needs to get the bike to the correct dealership.

My understanding is BMW reimburses that dealer for the payment. So if a dealer has a good sized bank account they may be comfortable giving the customer the payment right away and then just wait for the reimbursement from BMW.

Weston

The service mgr at my dealer told me this, he said he thought all BMW warranty work payments are overnighted to the dealer. As you know, this shock replacement is obviously warranty work, so there you go.

Got my bike back on the road last Friday. Although I did not ride or otherwise operate it all summer, except for some short rides to keep the battery charged and oil flowing, the decision was made to throw caution to the wind and ride it the 180 miles to the dealer for the strut exchange. This allowed a good comparison of old and new.

I find damping of the replacement shock an improvement over the original. "Soft" setting with the original shock was only suitable for around town as at any speed the bike would wallow up and down. The replacement unit solves this issue for me. The bike also seems more stable in harder than normal braking.

Bottom line is that keeping the bike was the right decision for me.

Just so that everybody knows -- all is not perfect in paradise.

I purchased my RT from the dealer in Salt Lake City, which is over 500 miles from my home. When I agreed to keep the motorcycle, I indicated to BMWNA that I wanted the recall work performed at the dealer closest to where I live, in Missoula: 200 miles away.

Well, my shock was shipped to SLC :cry: . I contacted them and asked if they would ship it to Missoula. They were not prepared to do so unless either BMWNA or Missoula would purchase the shock from them and pay shipping. Fortunately Missoula went to the mats for me and purchased the shock.

That was over a week ago. I made an appointment to have the repair done last Saturday and trailered my bike out there on Friday evening (I would have had to drive to Missoula to pick it up anyway, so didn't bother with Roadside Assistance; the Missoula dealer would not transport the bike for me).

I get to the shop on Saturday morning to discover that the shock has not arrived. Nobody knows where it is. They are speculating that UPS has lost it (although UPS doesn't tend to lose packages and despite having a tracking number don't know where it is). I can't even confirm that SLC has indeed shipped it.

I drove 200 miles home leaving the bike there.

Still no updates. No shock.

I'm getting ready to contact BMWNA and ask for a buyback.

Had the recall work done 8/25. Brought the notarized release form back to them 8/26 (dealer didn't have a notary there).

Sent an email to dealer today asking for a status:

"I've submitted the BMW release form you signed and had notarized, thank you! BMW has promised to speed up the process of reimbursement, over previous campaigns we've seen. On average, it typically takes two to three weeks to complete the goodwill transaction."

Archived