IGNORED

Immediate cessation of riding - R1200RT

BitScribbler

Has anyone done a trade-in in California? For example, if I want a 1600gtl, I trade in my RT and pay the difference in price.

My dealer is not willing to do this, they want me to ask for a buy-back and either wait for the refund check which would take 30-45 days and then buy a new motorcycle; or buy a new bike myself now and wait for a refund. The dealers option is kind of frustrating because regardless of eventually getting a refund I would be forced to dish out an additional $30k+ until I get my refund.

Has anyone done a trade-in in California? For example, if I want a 1600gtl, I trade in my RT and pay the difference in price.

My dealer is not willing to do this, they want me to ask for a buy-back and either wait for the refund check which would take 30-45 days and then buy a new motorcycle; or buy a new bike myself now and wait for a refund. The dealers option is kind of frustrating because regardless of eventually getting a refund I would be forced to dish out an additional $30k+ until I get my refund.

Somehow that doesn't sound right. Have you called BMWNA?

BMW hasn't clearly explained to the dealers what exactly they will include in the buy back price. My dealer is trying to figure that out on one bike right now. BMW told him it would be 6-8 weeks before the customer got their $.

Yes I have, BMWNA tells me the dealer should do a trade-in, option 3 in the email. Dealer says no one in California is doing that right now, and that is why they are offering me a sort of hybrid of the buy-back option. I called BMWNA again they said they will do more research/investigate why the dealer won't do the trade-in, which just means more days and since this is a main mode of transportation it is very frustrating.

BMW hasn't clearly explained to the dealers what exactly they will include in the buy back price. My dealer is trying to figure that out on one bike right now. BMW told him it would be 6-8 weeks before the customer got their $.

BMWNA told me refund consisted of everything you paid for at the time of purchase. It is unclear if you get refunded for other things like 1st service or in my case for the expensive schubert helmet/bmw comm I bought since the Nolan helmet wasn't working as well.

Yes I have, BMWNA tells me the dealer should do a trade-in, option 3 in the email. Dealer says no one in California is doing that right now, and that is why they are offering me a sort of hybrid of the buy-back option. I called BMWNA again they said they will do more research/investigate why the dealer won't do the trade-in, which just means more days and since this is a main mode of transportation it is very frustrating.

BMWNA told me refund consisted of everything you paid for at the time of purchase. It is unclear if you get refunded for other things like 1st service or in my case for the expensive schubert helmet/bmw comm I bought since the Nolan helmet wasn't working as well.

Someone on the MOA FB page just put in to get his money back and he said it would take 30 days, so there must be different or inconsistent info going around. FWIW he got a FJR already.

Gave BMW Motorrad USA what was requested for paperwork (copy of bill of sale and title [no financing]).

I have no idea what is next, how long until there is until closure and I want to ride. So I bought a new VFR today. Pick it up tomorrow. Apples and oranges so no comment on that front other than I love VFR's.

Dan

Funny. I just went and took a hard look at the new VFR today. Be curious to hear what you think after you get a few miles on it.

Apparently, BMWNA is trying to force the dealers to bear part of the burden of this program in the event of an owner opting to trade for a new bike. Details still forthcoming, but a real disappointment.

Apparently, BMWNA is trying to force the dealers to bear part of the burden of this program in the event of an owner opting to trade for a new bike. Details still forthcoming, but a real disappointment.

I am one of the persons trying to opt to trade for a new bike and pay the difference between the RT and the 1600GTL. But my dealership is not willing to do this.

Well I have had my first official letter from BMW UK!

The letter does not outline any more information with regard to the fault bu does offer the following information,

"the current forecast is that within the next few weeks you will be contacted by your authorised BMW dealer, who will organise for your R1200RT to be collected from its current location and then arrange for the necessary work to be undertaken. We are expecting the rectification work to begin in AUGUST"

The letter goes on to state that we will be receiving £500 as credit towards BMW Motorrad products up to December 2014.

so there you go the official UK news - fixed during August with a £500 credit note!

simon.

It doesn't say fixed during August, it says they expect it to BEGIN in August. I'd like to know when they are expecting it to be completed.

fourteenfour

Well if anything, there should be a bumper crop of slightly used RTs and GTs this winter. I wonder how BMW plans to move all this used hardware?

Well if anything, there should be a bumper crop of slightly used RTs and GTs this winter. I wonder how BMW plans to move all this used hardware?

That problem will be more on the dealer to figure out…

I am one of the persons trying to opt to trade for a new bike and pay the difference between the RT and the 1600GTL. But my dealership is not willing to do this.

Where do you live?

Thought I would ask the European Commission Consumer Centre what the legal position is - here's what I sent them...

I, and several hundred other individuals in Europe, have a problem with the 2014 model BMW RT1200 motorcycle.

I placed the order and paid for it in February this year but took delivery on the 3rd March 2014.

I was advised by BMW not to ride the bike 3 weeks ago and since then the bike has been in my garage waiting for BMW to communicate the options they are offering. I believe BMW have since issued a formal recall.

I have sent them the following after the BMW dealer I purchased the bike from indicated that they may be able to offer me a substitute bike:

I am sorry to say that offering a substitution bike is not an acceptable solution for the following reasons:

1 – For more than 2 weeks I have not been able to ride the bike that I spent a great deal of time selecting.

2 – Unknown to me BMW has exposed my wife, who has been a regular pillion passenger, and I to danger.

3 – The bike that I have paid for, in full, is off the road and will be for probably another 2 months.

4 – If I had wanted a different bike for the summer I would have ordered the different model.

5 – Where is/are the offer(s) of compensation for depriving me of the bike I purchased, in good faith, from BMW as is/are being offered in other countries?

6 – You have not told me the model of bike are you proposing as the substitution machine.

7 - When could the bike that I have paid for, and is now useless and not fit for purpose, be repaired and guaranteed to be safe?

Unless you can answer all the above to my complete satisfaction then I maintain that I reject the bike you sold me as being unfit for its intended use and request that you collect it from my home address and issue a full refund of the price paid against invoice number 1001245.

What are my rights under EU consumer law as neither the dealer or the importer (BMW Iberica) has told me when they expect to be able to repair my bike or give me a proposal for compensation.

Finally heard back from BMW customer "service". Option one, the $2,500 is available, however she was adamant that if I install an aftermarket shock (Tractive) I will forfeit the payment, as BMW cannot recommend any aftermarket parts. So that would be $1500 for the shock and lose $2,500 payment, for a total of $4,000. So that's out. Option two, the loaner, is not available to me as my dealer cannot support that. Option three, trade in for another BMW requires I buy an existing bike off their lot, and they have almost nothing right now. Option four, the oughtright buyback is available, only she wasn't sure it there would be a deduction for mileage.

These are not acceptable options for me, and I find it hard to see how this constitutes "strong" customer support. I'm becoming increasingly frustrated.

Finally heard back from BMW customer "service". Option one, the $2,500 is available, however she was adamant that if I install an aftermarket shock (Tractive) I will forfeit the payment, as BMW cannot recommend any aftermarket parts. So that would be $1500 for the shock and lose $2,500 payment, for a total of $4,000. So that's out. Option two, the loaner, is not available to me as my dealer cannot support that. Option three, trade in for another BMW requires I buy an existing bike off their lot, and they have almost nothing right now. Option four, the oughtright buyback is available, only she wasn't sure it there would be a deduction for mileage.

These are not acceptable options for me, and I find it hard to see how this constitutes "strong" customer support. I'm becoming increasingly frustrated.

I really don't blame you.

The CS reps vary greatly in knowledge. You might request reassignment to "Jeff" or try dealing by email. Although BMW US cannot control your dealer's actions, they have contacted dealers on behalf of customers to attempt to assist them in achieving a loaner or trade option.

The dealers do have the paperwork available to submit a buyback and BMW US requires some things like the invoice and title. Others in the process (no one has received a check yet), state there is no milage adjustmen, and the option chart for solutions does not list that although it does state subject to local laws.

I hope you get a solution that best fits your needs.

that's interesting because on one of the forums a RT owner from Sweden said BMW was installing Ohlins to get them back on the road. Seems like the deal changes with geography and day of the month.

Looks like since you're at the mercy of your local dealer, BMW effectively gives you only two options:

- Sit out the wait for the repair and get $2500 for missing 2-3+ months of riding (while paying insurance premiums, any loan payments, taxes, etc.), or

- BMW buyback, perhaps with a mileage deduction.

Depending on the mileage deduction, I'd strip any farkles and sell it back and wait until Fall to start over with a new '15.

Looks like since you're at the mercy of your local dealer, BMW effectively gives you only two options:

- Sit out the wait for the repair and get $2500 for missing 2-3+ months of riding (while paying insurance premiums, any loan payments, taxes, etc.), or

- BMW buyback, perhaps with a mileage deduction.

Depending on the mileage deduction, I'd strip any farkles and sell it back and wait until Fall to start over with a new '15.

Still waiting for BMW Spain to provide options - as everyday goes by without news the more I just want to get rid of the expensive piece of junk taking up valuable garage space...

I was afraid this might drag on and change every day, so I'm glad I jumped on the only K1600GTL Exclusive available when I did.

My 2014 R1200RT tankslapper kit just arrived today! haha. I also took delivery of two bags-connection tank bags for the RT before I got the bike. I only had the bike 1 day before the stop ride call. Oh well, I figure I made out better than some/most. At least I'm riding again. (and these should still fit the 2015/2016 RT I plan on getting)

good luck

Jaqen H'ghar
I was afraid this might drag on and change every day, so I'm glad I jumped on the only K1600GTL Exclusive available when I did.

My 2014 R1200RT tankslapper kit just arrived today! haha. I also took delivery of two bags-connection tank bags for the RT before I got the bike. I only had the bike 1 day before the stop ride call. Oh well, I figure I made out better than some/most. At least I'm riding again. (and these should still fit the 2015/2016 RT I plan on getting)

good luck

That is such a nice helpful, informative post. Good to hear your riding again.

I’ll admit that I’m an inherently skeptical person. Having said that, I’m calling BS on the “this has only affected 2 bikes worldwide” internet rumors which were also perpetuated by my dealer. I have a hard time believing that just 2 shocks failed out of 8,000+ bikes worldwide and that sparked the “stop ride”. Just think of the logistics and time requirements for these 2 failures to illicit a worldwide “stop ride”. BS. I say somewhere there is an “I told you so” engineer.

As frustrated as we all are, I would venture to say that a simple email from BMW proclaiming their appreciation for our patience and an advisement of the status of the resolution would be immensely appreciated by us all. But, we get nothing. What we do get are probably solutions to preclude anyone that accepts one of the options from any further legal action (i.e., class action lawsuit). Why else would BMW provide options so quickly while not giving a simple status or an update pertaining to the fix?

Speaking of options, why is it that all of them contain some form of “loss of use” compensation (loyalty) other than the outright buyback? Not only does the buyback not have “loss of use” compensation, but also it possibly will monetarily penalize you for owning your RT in the form of mileage deduction. Here’s an idea. How about offsetting the mileage deduction with the loss of use at minimum?

I am a complete NOBODY in this world. But by skepticism tells me that BMW has to have some time schedule for this repair. How else could they calculate the monetary values for brand loyalty (“loss of use”)? I understand the 30 day or 45 day “lemon law” / parts availability requirements. However, I do not believe $2,500 was plucked out of the air. I’m sure that value was discussed ad nauseam and had to be justified with pretty PowerPoints and pie charts. So, how did BMW calculate this figure? My guess is they have a time schedule that’s being undisclosed.

Perhaps it's not fair for me to comment, but it seems to me, and I'm not affected with my 2013, that the $2500, is a loss of use compensation. If the situation takes 4 months, $600 per month seems fair. The nice thing about getting old is that I can spout off occasionally and blame it on age :dopeslap:

Perhaps it's not fair for me to comment, but it seems to me, and I'm not affected with my 2013, that the $2500, is a loss of use compensation. If the situation takes 4 months, $600 per month seems fair. The nice thing about getting old is that I can spout off occasionally and blame it on age :dopeslap:

I think it is fair for you to comment...

You're a member of the BMW Sport Touring Community aren't you?

I'm in the same boat, have 2 currently and have had plenty BMW, too many, no RTLC however.

To your point, I agree with you.

If I had purchased a new RTLC, I'd wait for the fix and take the $2,500.

In MY PARTICULAR SITUATION, being that I had no major trips planned with the bike, and I have two other bikes, a 2003 K1200GT and a 2008 K1200GT, sitting in my garage (both for sale right now).

So, I wouldn't be too upset.

It seems to me that BMW is doing what they need to. A potentially catastrophic situation could occur due to a part failure that surfaced after production of the bike began.

BMW does not want the liability that may be assessed should someone get hurt or worse due to the problem not being promptly and directly addressed.

Government Motards and their ignition switches come to mind.

Now, GM of course still has 11.3 billion dollars of bailout money, that they will never need to pay back, at their disposal. GM will be able to settle the claims and continue on as if nothing ever happened.

BMW Motorad does not have that luxury.

In fact, if they'll give $2,500 off on a new untitled RTLC, on top of whatever I could get from my dealer (if they were allowed to sell one), I'd almost consider purchasing one right now. I'd just wait till it's repaired and ready for delivery.

Almost consider, if I were to purchase an RTLC, I would order a la carte, the radio/comm system would not be on my option list...

d'milan (whinger)

News from BMW UK are:

All UK bikes are being stripped of the shock, the shocks marked by chassis number will be sent to the factory for the re engineered part to be fitted ( rather than a new shock being built) and the shocks to be sent back. ETA for the return of the shocks to be refitted will be second half of August.

465 uk customers are being given £500 ( $800) to spend on BMW gear/farkles, but no other cash - I got my letter today coincidentally- and the following options:

- wait with loaner during the time

- reject and walk away on non delivered bikes with money back

- ad hoc discussion and decent deals to move to another bike

I took option 3, and I m finalizing a swap for a K16GT, after riding it earlier today. Much heavier than the RT, engine to die for though

Dealer was exemplary in their action to keep me happy and with them ( well known name in the Guildford area of Surrey who shall remain anonymous ;-) setting an example of how difficult situations should be dealt with. I have never personally felt more valued as a car/bike consumer tbh.

So, silver lining and overall quite happy although moving on without an RT.

I agonized over the purchase of a new RT or a new GS. I bought the GS, so I don't have a pony in the race, but I have to ask:

I know it was mentioned and I don't know why it is not being considered a good option, besides the financial and P.I.A. issues-

Buy an aftermarket shock, put it on and continue to ride. When you get the call for the dealer fix, change it out and have them pick up the bike to get the new shock put on.

You are going to need a new shock in about 20k anyhow.....

And there is no way I'd have my bike sitting at the dealers for a few months.

News from BMW UK are:

All UK bikes are being stripped of the shock, the shocks marked by chassis number will be sent to the factory for the re engineered part to be fitted ( rather than a new shock being built) and the shocks to be sent back.

If this is true, then it's clear why they want to collect the bikes. Because they're sitting at the dealer, missing parts.

Remove > Ship > Repair > Return > Replace

Meanwhile, owners twiddle their thumbs and daydream about how they'll spend their $2500.

News from BMW UK are:

All UK bikes are being stripped of the shock, the shocks marked by chassis number will be sent to the factory for the re engineered part to be fitted ( rather than a new shock being built) and the shocks to be sent back.

If this is true, then it's clear why they want to collect the bikes. Because they're sitting at the dealer, missing parts.

Meanwhile, owners twiddle their thumbs and daydream about how they'll spend their $2500.

That assumes that they take option 1.

News from BMW UK are:

All UK bikes are being stripped of the shock, the shocks marked by chassis number will be sent to the factory for the re engineered part to be fitted ( rather than a new shock being built) and the shocks to be sent back. ETA for the return of the shocks to be refitted will be second half of August.

Afternoon TheoP

That would be a very difficult thing for a lot of smaller US dealers to comply with. They just don't have the storage available to hold all the dead bikes with no rear shock.

Some US dealers are requesting the owners hold the bike at home until parts come in (then the dealer will come & get it for repair) as the dealers just don't have secure storage space available.

News from BMW UK are:

There is no option in the UK for waiting and getting anything like $2500 compensation. BMW UK are willing to give £500 ($800) as a credit voucher against BMW gear to be taken by Dec14. The amount must be used in one go and no change or credit against any part not taken will be given.
News from BMW UK are:

I've stayed out of this for a reason. Why am I writing this now… BMW reprehensive are told not to read any of the forums I can easily see why. Since the shock isn’t rebuildable how that going to work? If you want to know what really happen go to http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues if this isn’t the truth what is? I think I may have to stop reading this crap posted in all of the forums.

Jay

Some US dealers are requesting the owners hold the bike at home until parts come in (then the dealer will come & get it for repair) as the dealers just don't have secure storage space available.

That is the option that me and my dealer took and with the blessing of BMW Australia.

For the dealer having to pull the shock out and then send it back to Germany for repair will cause a turnaround time of at least a months.

So that really screws up the home storage idea big time.

Now this sucks big time !! :/

Yes I am keeping my RT at home until it is ready to be repaired, my understanding is the rear shock will be replaced, not that the shock will be taken from the RT and shipped back to Germany for repairs? And then returned to Australia once repairs are complete. That would be surely cost more than shipping a new shock to Aus.

If that is the case the loan bike will be staying with me a lot longer than I want it to...

Teddy

There seem to be different repair procedures being planned in different countries. The procedure being explained in letters in the UK is that the shock will be sent back to Germany for repairs. That likely won't be practical everywhere due to shipping times.

I will wait until either BMW Australia or my dealer will contact me when repair time comes around.

From what I have seen, these are none rebuild able units.

I could see that they might want to transfer the electronics as they are matched to the bike.

The info of them re-building it came from Europe, i.e Switzerland and the UK. As that is just around the corner from Italy where the manufacturer is, their turnaround time would be rather quick and manageable.

But America and Australia are on the other side of the world and this seems to me impracticable.

I've stayed out of this for a reason. Why am I writing this now… BMW reprehensive are told not to read any of the forums I can easily see why. Since the shock isn’t rebuildable how that going to work? If you want to know what really happen go to http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues if this isn’t the truth what is? I think I may have to stop reading this crap posted in all of the forums.

Jay

Also, on the recall page there is an associated document that outlines the recall. It states that one of the broken shocks was in France and one in Sweden. And that the shocks will be replaced.

Alan

The VIN listing that showed the affected bikes showed dates built also. My build date was shown as 11/25/13. The NHTSA documents show the manufacturing dates of the defective bikes as beginning on 11/27/13. Does that mean that my bike is not part of the recall? That would certainly make my day!!!

The VIN listing that showed the affected bikes showed dates built also. My build date was shown as 11/25/13. The NHTSA documents show the manufacturing dates of the defective bikes as beginning on 11/27/13. Does that mean that my bike is not part of the recall? That would certainly make my day!!!

Good luck with that, and I hope yours is ridable however the date range in the communication implied that bikes after a May date were not effected and several people were told that bikes in transit were NOT effected based on a production after the stated date. When the bike was delivered they found out it WAS effected.

No one has reported having a Dynamic ESA equipped bike as being not included in the DNR from what I have seen on FB, numerous forums, etc.

You can call BMW CS 1-800-525-7417 or your dealer to check for sure.

Good luck with that, and I hope yours is ridable however the date range in the communication implied that bikes after a May date were not effected and several people were told that bikes in transit were NOT effected based on a production after the stated date. When the bike was delivered they found out it WAS effected.

No one has reported having a Dynamic ESA equipped bike as being not included in the DNR from what I have seen on FB, numerous forums, etc.

You can call BMW CS 1-800-525-7417 or your dealer to check for sure.

I called BMW on Friday and left a voice mail for the rep to which I have been assigned.

I picked up my new GS on Saturday, paying for it in cash, and turned in my RT. Still uncertain whether it will be a trade (with the $1,000 credit) or a buy back without. I am very fortunate to be able to do the deal without the immediate money from the RT (the repurchase will take 30 days, I understand). I get the impression that the deal between BMWNA and the dealers on the trade situation is very fluid, with nothing yet set in stone. As I was on the fence between GS and RT anyway, and had a long planned trip in a week, this was the way to go for me. I will post again when I find out which way it goes. My dealer (San Jose BMW) was great throughout the process.

I picked up my new GS on Saturday, paying for it in cash, and turned in my RT. Still uncertain whether it will be a trade (with the $1,000 credit) or a buy back without. I am very fortunate to be able to do the deal without the immediate money from the RT (the repurchase will take 30 days, I understand). I get the impression that the deal between BMWNA and the dealers on the trade situation is very fluid, with nothing yet set in stone. As I was on the fence between GS and RT anyway, and had a long planned trip in a week, this was the way to go for me. I will post again when I find out which way it goes. My dealer (San Jose BMW) was great throughout the process.

I'm guessing buy back, if it was a trade in you would only need to pay the difference. My dealer offered to give me 1k off if we went decided to buy a new one, but were leaning towards refund and moving on, we don't really feel like giving them 30k+ more, even if it's just for a 30-45 days for the refund. And I agree, I called BMWNA and they couldn't even tell me exactly how a refund would be calculated.

I've read some people are hearing July for a fix, when the shock on our GS Adventure was defective a couple years ago, it took 2 months to fix, so I doubt this will be fixed in July

Norm LeFevre

I just got off the phone with BMWNA in Ohio. The lady I spoke with confirmed my choice ($2,500) and stated that they expect the parts in the US in about two weeks. She said the parts were being worked on. I asked for clarification thet the parts were, in fact being manufactured by the supplier and would be in the US in about two weeks, and she confirmed that.

So, it seems that the rumors about mid-July are well founded.

I just got off the phone with BMWNA in Ohio. The lady I spoke with confirmed my choice ($2,500) and stated that they expect the parts in the US in about two weeks. She said the parts were being worked on. I asked for clarification thet the parts were, in fact being manufactured by the supplier and would be in the US in about two weeks, and she confirmed that.

Great news to have another source adding to numerous others saying this. Good news, indeed.

While I'm not exactly pleased with the recall , I tend to see a silver lining in this. First we did get quick notice that there was an issue ,and second there are some decent concessions being offered. Just my 2 cents worth , but if I take the $2500 option it pays for about every accessory I plan to add on with enough left over for me to buy an extended warranty with unlimited miles for 5 years. I know some have no other options as far as having a bike to ride but for me this minor inconvenience is going to pay off .

While I'm not exactly pleased with the recall , I tend to see a silver lining in this. First we did get quick notice that there was an issue ,and second there are some decent concessions being offered. Just my 2 cents worth , but if I take the $2500 option it pays for about every accessory I plan to add on with enough left over for me to buy an extended warranty with unlimited miles for 5 years. I know some have no other options as far as having a bike to ride but for me this minor inconvenience is going to pay off .

I have to wonder what BMW's response would have been if it was with one of their car models? It seems part of the equation with the latest problem is that they probably think that most people don't use their bike as a primary form of transportation and they'd be right, but it also influences their response. I imagine that those that would use their 2014 RTs for primary might find the terms not so good. Wait two months for a fix, wait a month + to get their money back whether they trade towards a BMW or just want their money back. A loaner would work, but not every dealer has a loaner and on top of that, it seems there is some Kentucky windage in how he different deals get done from what people are reporting.

Here's an informal poll at BMWLT: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=209

I am glad I have a BMW that just works. Knock on wood.

Great news to have another source adding to numerous others saying this. Good news, indeed.

Do you mean you talked to a regional rep for BMW NA? Because I just called BMW NA and was told that the earliest they plan to get parts and start fixing them is August and that even August is not a guarantee.

Do you mean you talked to a regional rep for BMW NA? Because I just called BMW NA and was told that the earliest they plan to get parts and start fixing them is August and that even August is not a guarantee.

Yes, I saw that you posted that in another forum, after I saw this post. Several people were told that by a CS rep named "Jeff" My dealer reported being told similar in a conference call over a week ago. Yet you were told something different, and dealers have also stated different things. BMW certainly has not taken a written position on this I have seen. It may be that one person at BMW is taking a shipping date and another is talking a parts at dealer date. It certainly is frustrating.

Bottom line, no one will know for sure until they get the call that the part is where their bike is and is being installed.

We all hope this is sooner rather than later.

Jeez. I wish someone would have told me that the K1600GT loaner had a rev limiter on it. I almost lost to two Japanese bikes in a drag race.

Archived