IGNORED

Immediate cessation of riding - R1200RT

BitScribbler

There is so much crap floating around. I wish BMW would be more forthright in the process. It would help people make decisions and plans. Plus it would give a boost to their dealers who ae bearing the brunt of this misery.

Jeez. I wish someone would have told me that the K1600GT loaner had a rev limiter on it. I almost lost to two Japanese bikes in a drag race.
Glad I won't be buying your loaner.
There is so much crap floating around. I wish BMW would be more forthright in the process. It would help people make decisions and plans. Plus it would give a boost to their dealers who ae bearing the brunt of this misery.

I too am miffed at the uncertainty. I have trips scheduled for July and August (including the MOA Rally late in July), and some of them are prepaid. I will not make the trips in my car (which is a BMW, by the way) or on my two other bikes - a '78 R100 Cafe Racer and an '01 Bonneville - neither of which are suitable for long trips. I have no idea whatsoever whether I will be able to make any of the trips.

I am 67, so my remaining riding days are few. I missed riding last summer because of a hip replacement. The summer before that I couldn't ride due to a broken ankle (which happened on the '78), and the summer before that one I had my first hip replacement.

I was really looking forward to getting lots of miles in this summer, and my '14 RTW was way better than I could have imagined. I plan to keep it and have the repair done.

The uncertainty during this stop ride episode is agonizing. BMW surely knows what is going on, and they could easily minimize the uncertainty by giving us an idea of a timeline for repairs. I have heard estimates ranging from mid-July till September.

It would be nice to know an official version of what is going on.

While I'm not exactly pleased with the recall , I tend to see a silver lining in this. First we did get quick notice that there was an issue ,and second there are some decent concessions being offered. Just my 2 cents worth , but if I take the $2500 option it pays for about every accessory I plan to add on with enough left over for me to buy an extended warranty with unlimited miles for 5 years. I know some have no other options as far as having a bike to ride but for me this minor inconvenience is going to pay off .

what's the cost of a five year warrantee with unlimited miles? how do you sign up for that?

While I'm not exactly pleased with the recall , I tend to see a silver lining in this. First we did get quick notice that there was an issue ,and second there are some decent concessions being offered. Just my 2 cents worth , but if I take the $2500 option it pays for about every accessory I plan to add on with enough left over for me to buy an extended warranty with unlimited miles for 5 years. I know some have no other options as far as having a bike to ride but for me this minor inconvenience is going to pay off .

8 yrs for and extra 1200 bucks. Good deal I think.

what's the cost of a five year warrantee with unlimited miles? how do you sign up for that?

At last a response from my Spanish Dealer

Sent: 02 July 2014 11:35

To: 'Mike New'

Subject: RE: Aviso Tecnico BMW Motoraz

Good morning Mike, we have a response from BMW. The solution which gives the BMW case of RT is the following

- Compensation 500 € to spend on accessories BMW

- Compensation for an additional year warranty

- The pieces will be able to start replacing from week 34, to the end of July we will have a more specific date.

- In the case of transport of your bike to our dealership, we are seeking a satisfactory solution with a specialized motorcycle transport.

- BMW Motorcycle replacement C600Sport, already available in the motorcycle dealer, Hispamovil.

Waiting for your answer, best regards.

And my response...

I have waited a long time for what is a completely unacceptable offer.

This is nowhere near the level of compensation or options being offered in other countries.

Week 34 is, I understand the middle of August, which is a minimum of 6 weeks away so considering the 4 weeks already passed BMW are saying that 50 euros a week is adequate compensation for the loss of use of my 22,000 euro bike?

As to the offer of a C600Sport as a substitute bike, I hope you are joking?

The RT1200 is a touring bike, not a sports bike, do you seriously expect me and my wife to do a 2000 km trip we have planned for this summer on a C600 Sport?

If this is the best offer that BMW and yourselves can provide then please arrange to collect the bike and return the money I paid for it.

Regards

BitScribbler

At last a response from my Spanish Dealer

Sent: 02 July 2014 11:35

To: 'Mike New'

Subject: RE: Aviso Tecnico BMW Motoraz

Good morning Mike, we have a response from BMW. The solution which gives the BMW case of RT is the following

- Compensation 500 € to spend on accessories BMW

- Compensation for an additional year warranty

- The pieces will be able to start replacing from week 34, to the end of July we will have a more specific date.

- In the case of transport of your bike to our dealership, we are seeking a satisfactory solution with a specialized motorcycle transport.

- BMW Motorcycle replacement C600Sport, already available in the motorcycle dealer, Hispamovil.

Waiting for your answer, best regards.

Interesting to compare against the UK offer:

£500 instead of €500... a small win for us.

An extra year's warranty not offered in the UK... a massive win for you. The extended BMW warranty in the UK costs around £400 to £500. I think I'm going to get onto customer services and push for this myself.

Davejr1200
I got a K1600 as a loaner and I am riding it like I stole it.
With the immobiliser on and the alarm blaring ? :D

As to the offer of a C600Sport as a substitute bike, I hope you are joking?

The RT1200 is a touring bike, not a sports bike, do you seriously expect me and my wife to do a 2000 km trip we have planned for this summer on a C600 Sport?

Mike,

Don't forget that the C600 isn't even a sports bike, it's a scooter. Touring on one of those would definitely be an experience.

Can you even fit panniers to a C600Sport? It probably has a top box as an accessory as well as underseat storage. I guess that you made it clear to the selling dealer that you were planning a 2,000km trip?

Still 44kw and a top speed of 175km/h isn't too bad and it should be easy to ride not that I have tried one yet.

I hope BMW come up with a satisfactory solution for you, I managed to get an R1200R as a loaner which although no RT the Roadster can be used for touring if I want to go away. Mind you we had a max of just 6.5C yesterday as well as thick fog for most of the day so I have no inclination whatsoever for a trip away at the moment.

Teddy

Wow, this thread is finally starting to lose some steam....on some of the other BMW forums as well as all the petty bickering and people with absolutely no skin in the game deposit their "gems" and move along. Sure, it's frustrating but life is like that...deal with it. BMW will eventually get its act together and do the right thing just as the options presented demonstrated.

Davejr1200
Wow, this thread is finally starting to lose some steam....on some of the other BMW forums as well as all the petty bickering and people with absolutely no skin in the game deposit their "gems" and move along. Sure, it's frustrating but life is like that...deal with it. BMW will eventually get its act together and do the right thing just as the options presented demonstrated.
Depends where you live, as the options in Europe are pretty crap and BMW is doing anything but getting it's act together.

Agreed - the European owners are definitely being treated as third class citizens in this situation. Mainland Europe even worse than the UK.

Apparently, BMWNA is trying to force the dealers to bear part of the burden of this program in the event of an owner opting to trade for a new bike. Details still forthcoming, but a real disappointment.

I picked up my new GS on Saturday, paying for it in cash, and turned in my RT. Still uncertain whether it will be a trade (with the $1,000 credit) or a buy back without. I am very fortunate to be able to do the deal without the immediate money from the RT (the repurchase will take 30 days, I understand). I get the impression that the deal between BMWNA and the dealers on the trade situation is very fluid, with nothing yet set in stone. As I was on the fence between GS and RT anyway, and had a long planned trip in a week, this was the way to go for me. I will post again when I find out which way it goes. My dealer (San Jose BMW) was great throughout the process.

I'm guessing buy back, if it was a trade in you would only need to pay the difference. My dealer offered to give me 1k off if we went decided to buy a new one, but were leaning towards refund and moving on, we don't really feel like giving them 30k+ more, even if it's just for a 30-45 days for the refund. And I agree, I called BMWNA and they couldn't even tell me exactly how a refund would be calculated.

I've read some people are hearing July for a fix, when the shock on our GS Adventure was defective a couple years ago, it took 2 months to fix, so I doubt this will be fixed in July

I got the official paperwork for the buy back. Very simple: I sign a waiver of California Lemon Law, they pay full price I paid, including tax and license, with no mileage deduction (only 500 miles). I made my separate deal with SJBMW on purchase of the GS. All in all, a fair resolution.

Depends where you live, as the options in Europe are pretty crap and BMW is doing anything but getting it's act together.

You're correct, I had noted their inconsistency and agree that will sour many on the whole deal.

That seems to me to be quite a cavalier attitude considering we are dealing with a very expensive, premium-level motorcycle lost for the best part of an entire riding season. Your statement, BMW will eventually get its act together... is hardly a ringing endorsement. The anger, frustration, and complaining would never have reached the level it did if BMW headquarters would have shared information from the start and continually even if the information was that they had no new information.

And while I have no dog in this fight it seems to me that the $2500 offer does nothing other than keep the affect parties even. An appropriate offer would be an immediate $2500 to cover payments and so forth while the bike is out of service followed by substantial compensation for the inconvenience. This could take several forms: cash, products, services, extended warranty to name some obvious ones.

That seems to me to be quite a cavalier attitude considering we are dealing with a very expensive, premium-level motorcycle lost for the best part of an entire riding season. Your statement, BMW will eventually get its act together... is hardly a ringing endorsement. The anger, frustration, and complaining would never have reached the level it did if BMW headquarters would have shared information from the start and continually even if the information was that they had no new information.

And while I have no dog in this fight it seems to me that the $2500 offer does nothing other than keep the affect parties even. An appropriate offer would be an immediate $2500 to cover payments and so forth while the bike is out of service followed by substantial compensation for the inconvenience. This could take several forms: cash, products, services, extended warranty to name some obvious ones.

Wasn't meant to be a ringing endorsement...as a rider directly affected by this I am as frustrated as others, just choose to deal with it as positively as I can. Think I'm entitled to express that without being called "cavalier".

Prior to the recall, I was planning to ride down to Melbourne. My dealer gave me a 2013 RT as a loan bike, but I was hesitant in riding it due to the insurance excess ($3k) if something happens. Booked a flight instead.

Prior to the recall, I was planning to ride down to Melbourne. My dealer gave me a 2013 RT as a loan bike, but I was hesitant in riding it due to the insurance excess ($3k) if something happens. Booked a flight instead.

I would think insurance is cheaper on an older bike.

I got my K1600GT loaner last week end as promise by my dealer and went on 3000 KM road trip and it was a quit a road trip. We travel Northern British Columbia all the way to Prince Rupert. I have 2 words for this bike Smooth and Powerful. I will have a nice summer of riding but have no regret about my choice of keeping the RT. There is a major set back with this bike, chances are that you might loose your driver license on the spot.

Depends where you live, as the options in Europe are pretty crap
Seems like BMW is cheaping out on the Europeans

So what is new? We still only get a 24 month warranty.

Here we are getting 36 months unlimited KM but we can only ride 6 to 8 months max depending what part of the country you live

Quick question for all. Has anyone actually been successful at completing a buyback through BMW(NA)? I received notification that my submitted documents (copies of bill of sale and title) were received on 6/25. I called to try and get "follow up with you soon" quantified. I was told "3-5 days". That time period has come and gone. I placed 2 phone calls and was notified it could be a week. I called at the 7 day point and was advised that "Mark" would be contacted and he would get back to me "shortly". Again seeking quantification, "shortly" was described as "probably tomorrow" and "maybe even tonight".

No surprise...No Mark. I've seen on other forums that it appears "Mark" is the pseudonym for the place where buyback dreams go to die. Sorry for the rant. Please advise if anyone has been successful. If so, any recommendations on how to expedite the process (i.e., take bike to dealer yourself, etc.)

It just hit me. Since 1996 I have ridden one of my motorcycles to a 4th of July fireworks display. This is my first year of owning a BMW motorcycle and...the streak is over. Awesome.

Aww, comon, as Oscar Wilde said, "l can resist all things except temptation." I took my RT out for a short and easy 25 miles this afternoon. You're not going on a long trip or riding hard curves. Ride it gently to the fireworks and don't worry.

Don't break the streak!

Happy Independence Day regardless of what you decide!

I have crap luck. I'd probably get smoked by an uninsured motorists. My insurance agent already said they would not cover the bike if something happened, since stop ride was issued.

The streak will continue, but with an asterisk for 2014. I'm going to ride one of my buddy's Harley's. Happy Independence Day to you and all as well.

Quick question for all. Has anyone actually been successful at completing a buyback through BMW(NA)? I received notification that my submitted documents (copies of bill of sale and title) were received on 6/25. I called to try and get "follow up with you soon" quantified. I was told "3-5 days". That time period has come and gone. I placed 2 phone calls and was notified it could be a week. I called at the 7 day point and was advised that "Mark" would be contacted and he would get back to me "shortly". Again seeking quantification, "shortly" was described as "probably tomorrow" and "maybe even tonight".

No surprise...No Mark. I've seen on other forums that it appears "Mark" is the pseudonym for the place where buyback dreams go to die. Sorry for the rant. Please advise if anyone has been successful. If so, any recommendations on how to expedite the process (i.e., take bike to dealer yourself, etc.)

I turned my bike in, signed the buy back agreement and will await the check, which I was told would arrive within thirty days. Ii will post any updates.

Do you remember how long it took BMW to contact you once you submitted your paperwork?

Once I told them it was a buy back as opposed to a trade, three days later they sent me the form, and advised what DMV form was required (the dealer had already had me sign it) and tod me to call BMW Assist to get the bike (I had already ridden it the 0.6 miles to the dealer).

Do you remember how long it took BMW to contact you once you submitted your paperwork?

Once I told them it was a buy back as opposed to a trade, three days later they sent me the form, and advised what DMV form was required (the dealer had already had me sign it) and tod me to call BMW Assist to get the bike (I had already ridden it the 0.6 miles to the dealer).

What about the sales tax on the original purchase. Are BMW reimbursing for the taxes as well as the purchase price of the bike?

I was told when I called to confirm they received the documents I had emailed that sales tax would be refunded and that there would not be any mileage depreciation. It sucks if you had a trade-in. I had $20k in trade-in's. So, I'm losing $1,400 in purchase value (7% sales tax rate).

Firefight911
I was told when I called to confirm they received the documents I had emailed that sales tax would be refunded and that there would not be any mileage depreciation. It sucks if you had a trade-in. I had $20k in trade-in's. So, I'm losing $1,400 in purchase value (7% sales tax rate).

How do you figure? You pay sales tax on the purchase price, not the bottom line price after trade. If anything, you are up as your trade will only depreciate with time.

Firefight911

What about the sales tax on the original purchase. Are BMW reimbursing for the taxes as well as the purchase price of the bike?

If under the California Lemon Law, yes, this is, by law, included. From what is being stated from others, BMW is paying ALL costs associated with the RT purchase so you should be whole.

I don't think any loaners are included in sales at all but they became units not available for sale.

Since the data is sales, I would suspect that all RT sales for the first half were counted. At the time of the Stop Ride almost 100% of the US sold units (804-950)* were effected. Buy backs would not be counted as sale subtractions. RTs returned and traded for GS and K1600 would be counted as new sales in GS and K models as would trade to other models.

The R 1200 GS was the brand’s best selling model with 190 units, helping drive growth of 7 percent in R-Series models with 517 boxer deliveries in June compared to 482 in June of last year.

How many of those "sales" were contained in the number above? My guess would be a lot given the numbers of grounded RT owners that took GS or GSA models. The "increase" from the year 2013 is actually only 35 units!

The decrease in June of 3.4 percent compared with 2013 can partly be counted as loaner bikes not available for sale in a peak time and also bad "Ju Ju" from the publication of the Do Not Ride.

I would think the number of new sales are boosted by the switch bike option for sure.

*BMW has reported both numbers for effected US bikes

How do you figure? You pay sales tax on the purchase price, not the bottom line price after trade. If anything, you are up as your trade will only depreciate with time.

Maybe in the great nation state of caulifornia....

not everywhere...

varies by State.

In ohhoho, if your trade a bike, or car, towards a new one, you pay sales tax on the difference.

For example, 20,000 new bike, -10,000 trade in value on used bike = $10,000 taxable transaction.

In cuyahoga county 0hoho, (cuyahoga means crooked river in some native american dialect, its crooked all right, the county that is, very progressive, similar to detoit) where I reside it's 8%. 8% of 10,000 = $800.00 tax.

If you were to purchase the bike without trade-in, it's 20,000 x 8% sales tax = $1,600.

d'milan

BitScribbler

More news from Blighty.

UK dealers are receiving box steel parts with holes at either end. They're removing shocks from bikes, mounting the temporary box steel part so they can wheel the bikes away, and sending the shocks back to the Mothership.

Still no news as to whether the Mothership has a solution yet.

Edit: Of course, this is only for bikes that have already been recovered to the dealers.

Maybe in the great nation state of caulifornia....

not everywhere...

varies by State.

In ohhoho, if your trade a bike, or car, towards a new one, you pay sales tax on the difference.

For example, 20,000 new bike, -10,000 trade in value on used bike = $10,000 taxable transaction.

In cuyahoga county 0hoho, (cuyahoga means crooked river in some native american dialect, its crooked all right, the county that is, very progressive, similar to detoit) where I reside it's 8%. 8% of 10,000 = $800.00 tax.

If you were to purchase the bike without trade-in, it's 20,000 x 8% sales tax = $1,600.

d'milan

Here in the Show Me State you pay on the difference in trade. Any you can sell your old bike up to 6 months later and get a refund on the state portion of the sales tax. So you don't have to trade with the dealer to get the break.

John in VA

Maryland is another state that collects sales tax on the difference after trade. I'm guessing that the state doesn't pay you if your trade(s) is worth more than the new purchase.

More news from Blighty.

UK dealers are receiving box steel parts with holes at either end. They're removing shocks from bikes, mounting the temporary box steel part so they can wheel the bikes away, and sending the shocks back to the Mothership.

Still no news as to whether the Mothership has a solution yet.

Edit: Of course, this is only for bikes that have already been recovered to the dealers.

Thanks for the intel.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Temporary hardtails? :grin:

Shouldn't be a problem putting the bike up on the centerstand, but something might break when it comes time to let it down again. At the very least, the rear tire should give it a good bounce. :grin:

Same in Florida.

No tax on the value of the trade in as you've already paid tax on that purchase.

Firefight911
Same in Florida.

No tax on the value of the trade in as you've already paid tax on that purchase.

Very interesting and nice. California has its hand in your pocket at every turn so its something very foreign here.

Interesting info concerning the shock rods. Sounds like they will be retrofitting the shocks perhaps. That could indicate that they may be rebuildsble.

Archived