IGNORED

Immediate cessation of riding - R1200RT

BitScribbler

It seems to me it doesn't matter where you are that BMW is dragging the chain a bit whether you live in Aus, US, UK or wherever. I guess they have 8000 customers to deal with but it seems very few people are happy with the progress and are getting frustrated with the lack of information and action from BMW.

BMW Aus have just over 50 customers to deal with you'd think that they would be able to deal with them all quite effectively? Not yet it seems.

The longer this mess drags on the more it is going to hurt BMW, I have heard very few happy stories on this forum since the issue eventuated..

Just sayin'

Teddy

It seems to me it doesn't matter where you are that BMW is dragging the chain a bit whether you live in Aus, US, UK or wherever. I guess they have 8000 customers to deal with but it seems very few people are happy with the progress and are getting frustrated with the lack of information and action from BMW.

That's what's killing me, they actually bought a ton of good will from me when that internal memo came out, I thought it was a classy way of dealing with it. But since then they have used up all of that good will by not giving any dates, staying silent on their social media sites, waffling on the loaner option, and pushing all of this down to the dealers to deal with without any real support. And don't get me started on that recall hotline they set up, they may have been better off disconnecting the phones.

So close, but no cigar, BMWNA.

It says for internal use only. Is this official? Could I pick an option and call bmw and ask for it?

I picked option 2 and asked for it. No loaner yet. From what I hear Garrett Thacker at BMW NA is handling all the RT request. His number is 1-800-831-1117 x7603.

Alan

Also, I have insurance from Progressive who I called today and explained the issue. Someone had mentioned that insurance would not cover an accident once a do not ride is issued. After talking with the rep they will cover the bike and any accidents even after a recall is issued. If something where to happen he said they would go after BMW.

Alan

Freedom Outlaw

First post to this forum but I am caught up in the 2014 RT quagmire.

This is a post I put up on ADV:

06-06-2014, 12:03 AM #592

RHM

Adventurer

Oddometer: 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by GerJ View Post

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...ampaign=widget

Poor owners of this premium bike! Imagine you were all set to start your motorcycling vacation tomorrow....

Ha! I AM on vacation. I live in Florida and it is mine and my wife's 30th anniversary. I had a Mercedes Sprinter upfitted to our specs, had a trailer made to haul the bike and wife's scooter.

I am self employed and have virtually unlimited free time. We "had" planned on a 30 days +/- touring the US/Canada. As I type this I am 200 miles south of Canada and sitting on the fence as to whether I even want to continue the trip.

I drove the Canadian Ice Field Parkway several years ago and wanted to come back and do it on a bike. To say I am disappointed would be the understatement of the year.

We've raised and weaned (knocking on wood) three kids. All are out of college and on their own. This was to be a big event for us and we have had a blast so far.

I have (had) been riding the bike like a stole it and rode two up the day before yesterday. BMW has been in contact with me and they say they want to do the right thing. However, considering the totality of the situation, really, I don't know what they can do, heck they don't have a fix for it yet and I am not sure if I want to drag this bike around for another two weeks +/- without being able to ride it.

I'll sleep on it tonight and decide whether to head back to FL or go on to Banff dragging the new RT. I kinda miss my 06 even though you can look back in this thread (I think it is this thread) and see where I said it was a quantum leap over the old model. At this point, I'd give the buyer his money back for my 06 and keep the 14 too. At least I could do most of the work on the 06 myself, tip of the hat to you Jim for the CD.

RHM

Freedom Outlaw

Follow up post to ADV with an update.

The regional rep for BMWNA just happened to be in the dealership when I was there. They pulled a new GTL off the showroom floor for me as a loaner. I took the bike home, rode it a few days and came to the conclusion it was just not for me. I did not like the extra weight/bulk at All.

I took the GTL back and am now on a 2005 RT which is darn near exactly like the 2006 RT I traded in, I am much happier. However, this used bike is currently for sale and I was told I'd have to turn it in if a sale transpired.

I travel a lot and don't know how this would go down. The dealer is in Pensacola and it is not unusual at all for me to spend two weeks in western NC. So if the call comes that they've sold the bike (which the buyer could not have possible seen except for pictures) it will be interesting to see how they would want to handle That.

I am quite sure they would put me on another loaner bike but really, I only want the RT which is why I am choosing the option of keeping my bike and waiting. Furthermore, since the bike is going to be laid up for a while, I went ahead and mailed both seats off to Russell to have custom seats made. I figured it would be the perfect time to do it and Kim at Russell told me they would have the seat back to me around the first of July. I could not do a drive in which I would have much preferred as they are way out on them.

I explained my vacation situation to the regional rep and told him all I wanted was to be made whole. In other words, fix the bike and pay my travel expenses from Ellenburg, WA to Pensacola and back so I could do what my objective was, ride the Canadian Icefield Parkway. The rep said this was certainly a reasonable request and saw no problem with it.

I sent him an email thanking him for pulling the GTL off the floor and he replied he was glad to do it. He then told me I would need to deal with BMWNA customer service in regard to further communication.

I called BMW yesterday and explained my situation and named the rep I talked to then I brought up the issue of reimbursement for my travel expenses. Their response was a "maybe", not the emphatic yes which the rep indicated to me would be no problem.

I have every single dime of the travel expenses. When I take a long trip, I use a credit card specifically for traveling so I know to the penny what it cost me to get up there. The reimbursement would be quite easy to calculate as once I found out I could no longer ride the bike we made a bee line to Pensacola. All one would have to do is take the cost coming back and multiply it times 2 to get me Back to Ellensburg and I would be content. The BMWNA rep kind of waffled on that but did not come out and say flat No so I guess I'll see when I submit my expenses. The rep was rather adamant about the reimbursement, BMWNA not so much.

If you want the whole story go back to page 40.

RHM is online now Report this foul post Edit/Nuke Message

Firefight911
Also, I have insurance from Progressive who I called today and explained the issue. Someone had mentioned that insurance would not cover an accident once a do not ride is issued. After talking with the rep they will cover the bike and any accidents even after a recall is issued. If something where to happen he said they would go after BMW.

Alan

I hope you recorded that call, got all the specific employee info, etc. because I can pretty confidently state that you are the one who will be in a pickle should this unfortunate event ever come to fruition. Unless it was the attorney from the legal department making this statement, under oath and in writing on letterhead with notarized signature, you are going off of a "rep" and his statement who will be no longer employed about 30 minutes after filing your claim. You think BMW is good at claiming ignorance? HA!

I just bought a 2012 Concours to ride for this season. I have no confidence whatsoever my RT will be ready...

And still not a peep out of BMW. Crisis Management Failure.

Hi All

So anyone who got a loaner can you tell me how you got it insured...I got a loaner waiting for me but no one seems to know how we can get it insured?

In the UK I got my K16 GTL loaner insured by cancelling my existing insurance policy and switching to BMW insurance. They put the Gtl on as an extra bike in addition to my RT. It costs a whopping £30 per week to add the GTL but BMW imsurance tell me that BMW will foot the bill if you present them with the invoices.

I have heard from the dealer, the forums, and I won't swear by it but the guy at BMW NA that Sachs made the shocks with the issues. Mine is not made by Sachs but is a Marzocchi.

<a href=http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u487/jh2rc97/shock_zps6924a720.jpg' alt='shock_zps6924a720.jpg'>

[/img]

They seem to be completely #%^%#%%^% useless. The dealers seem to be trying to be helpful, but BMW Customer Service needs renaming. Really shocked at how badly they are screwing this up at the moment.

Just sent this letter to the shock manufacturer. Do't suppose I'll get a reply but what the heck!

Dear Sirs,

As the owner of a brand new R1200RT I was disappointed to be told that I could no longer ride my bike after owning it for just two weeks.

I understand from BMW that the problem is with the rear shock absorber. I also understand that this unit is manufactured by your company.

BMW have not been forthcoming about the nature of the problem or how, given the extensive testing regimes that you describe on your website, this apparently critical failure mode has managed to get past your QA processes.

It would be enormously useful and reassuring to me and my fellow riders if you could give us a brief explanation of the problem and why it is specific to the 2014 R1200RT.

Thank you in anticipation,

Etc

Talked with BMW and the dealer today. BMW is supposed to release information to the dealers by end of day tomorrow on new ways for the dealers to provide loaners.

Alan

Would prefer they release their expected timeline as it's bloody hard to reorganise things when you have no clue what the timings are.

just got a call from dealer. they offered me full price back on RT and $3500 off any new 1600 gt or gtl supposed to get other offer that has been floating around here in writing tomorrow. said they weren't authorized to tell me that tonight. still no answer from BMW corp on estimated time to fix original problem

I ordered an RT 8 weeks ago. My salesman for 2 weeks has been telling me that mine is not affected.

My salesman finally called me with what I already suspected was the truth. All 2014 RTs with ESA are effected by the recall.

To me there is no other suitable bike except maybe a GT.

Do you think if I wait until after the recall I can pick up a used R1200RT at a good price? You know one of 2014 RTs taht will be bought back or traded in on a GT or GS.

Would prefer they release their expected timeline as it's bloody hard to reorganise things when you have no clue what the timings are.

+1

Hi All

So anyone who got a loaner can you tell me how you got it insured...I got a loaner waiting for me but no one seems to know how we can get it insured?

If you already have insurance you are insured. It is like renting a car. Got a 1600 yesterday (Wed) and am bringing it in Saturday for its 600 mile check.

There should be more and ore people that have serious time on the RT and the GT and be in good position to compare.

I am thinking of getting a GTL instead of waiting months, 5 to 6 months total, to get my yet to be purchased RT.

Opinions? RT vs GT and discuss...

Six months? I haven't heard that kind of time frame yet. :( (for the fix) The GT is a fine alternative to the RT, a bit heavier (ok 130) but she carries it well. The engine is a silly piece of engineering. :thumbsup:

As far as my situation, if you care. I had a GSA lined up yesterday for a swap but couldn't pull the trigger. I actually want the GSA but, I'm not sure it could be my do it all ride. Again, please don't feel bad for me, I'll survive this. :rofl:

Pat

I think BMW are doing a scam. :grin:

They have so many of these K1600 that they want to get rid of, so they chose what was going to be the best bike in their collection (the new RT) and after just sufficient were sold (to match the number of 1600's they want to get shot of), put a stop on the RT till the K1600's have all gone!

Joking or not i'm sure you're not the only guy thinking that same thing. :/ I was. ;)

Pat

One thing is for sure: there will be a lot of lightly used K1600s for sale in our near future.

For those not checking the other forums Ted Porter (BeemerShop/Wilber's ) posted some alternatives on the BMWMOA forum and on the BMWLT site a Swedish rider reported that BMW has an Ohlin temporary fix for them (albeit a meager # of bikes). Meanwhile most of us sit on the sideline waiting for BMW to release a fix date for US bikes. Their offered options are great in principle but they need to come up with what the plan is otherwise a bunch of riders are going to give up on a great bike and "settle" for a GS, GT, etc. The really frustrated will migrate to other brands and that number of riders is growing by the day I suspect. I personally am standing pat till they release the date.

Or find out that there are other good choices out there besides the RT.

I rode boxers for 35 years until going dark side.

Nine years now and happy with the move.

R 50, R75, both fine.

I put high 6 figures on my 1980 RT, it was a wonderful ride.

Another 40,000 on an R1100 RSL.

About 250,000 on boxers.

The new boxers are works of art and technical marvels.

But if I were waiting on an RT I'd take one of the exit options

and move on.

Next year, or later, if I wanted to go back to an RT the option would be there.

In the meantime I'd have had the opportunity to try something different and at a good price.

YMMV

I think BMW are doing a scam. :grin:

They have so many of these K1600 that they want to get rid of, so they chose what was going to be the best bike in their collection (the new RT) and after just sufficient were sold (to match the number of 1600's they want to get shot of), put a stop on the RT till the K1600's have all gone!

Joking or not i'm sure you're not the only guy thinking that same thing. :/ I was. ;)

I think he has been hanging out with Jesse Ventura too long.

Pat

One thing is for sure: there will be a lot of lightly used K1600s for sale in our near future.

There should be more and ore people that have serious time on the RT and the GT and be in good position to compare.

I am thinking of getting a GTL instead of waiting months, 5 to 6 months total, to get my yet to be purchased RT.

Opinions? RT vs GT and discuss...

I picked up a new GT loaner yesterday and rode it the 150 miles home mostly back roads. I managed to put 2300 miles on the new RT before told to stop riding so I got pretty familiar with it.

The GT engine is pretty amazing. It is the smoothest bike I've ever ridden. The bike handles really well for a bike that big but not nearly as well as the new RT. The new RT is also much better than the old RT. I think if I were going from an older RT to the GT the difference in handling would not be as noticeable. The GT seat seems a little more plush but overall I don't find the bike quite as comfortable. There was a lot more wind noise for me. I'm a musician so I'm more sensitive about noise and not damaging my hearing than some. The wind shield doesn't come up as high as the RT. That could be easily fixed by an aftermarket shield. Don't notice the extra weight until get it off side stand or back it up. It rained for 2 hours on the way home from picking it up (new bike, new tires, pouring rain!) my foot slipped on the wet pavement while backing it up and had a panic moment.

I just got back from riding 1400 miles including most of the Blue Ridge Parkway when I got the call about the RT. I love this bike and will just wait it out.

I'm certainly not happy about not being able to ride the RT for the summer but I feel that BMW did the right thing and I'm happy to put miles on the GT until the new shocks are available. There is a lot of BMW bashing going on but it wasn't really their fault. The shock manufacturer is to blame and BMW did the right thing to assure that no one was hurt.

a lot of BMW bashing going on but it wasn't really their fault. The shock manufacturer is to blame and BMW did the right thing to assure that no one was hurt.

Not there fault but responsibility can't be transferred. To facilitate the decision process for effected owners it should be a reasonable expectation that BMW provide a firm time line shortly.

Thanks for the write up.

Hi All

I took delivery of my 2014 RT1200 with ESA on the 1st March. It is now 2 weeks since the instruction to stop riding (which I didn't get until the 9th of June)and so far there has been nothing of any significance from either BMW Spain or the distributor - Hispamovil. Hispamovil say they are getting loan bikes and that they may be in touch on Monday (23rd June) but other than that they have no more information.

With every day that passes without information I am leaning more and more towards just asking for a refund and looking for a different manufacturer.

I don't blame BMW for the fault but the lack of communication and a timeline is entirely their fault. I have had to cancel one planned tour and, at this point, have no clue whether I need to cancel a 2nd planned tour or not. I have to plan holidays well in advance and this continued non-communication is quite simply very bad customer service. Most dealers seem to be trying their hardest but they are being hugely let down by BMW at this point.

Norm LeFevre

While I don't fault BMW for its supplier issue, I've begun to rethink my original position - to take the $2,500 when the bike is repaired.

Since I don't know how long it will take, and have a two-week vacation (not on the motorcycle) planned in September, would I be better off simply turning the bike back in for a full-price refund, and getting a '15 model when they're released in the Spring?

I love the RT, and would get another one. The attraction would be that most of my farkles (Nav V, trunk, etc) would transfer to a new bike.

I guess the real decision will come when I have some idea when the "fix" will take place.

BMW has given Suppliers a "about" timeline.

They expect that the re-design and testing will be completed by Mid August and then to roll out the new shocks ASAP.

Not sure what you guys expect..a date???

Common sense should tell you that a "re-design" will be an unknown in time and that includes the testing.

What happens if the testing show another fail? Then they have to re-design again, until it's bullet proof. Which of course then would push the timeline out again.

Then there will be a limit that BMW can influence their country specific importers...same with the dealers themselves.

Any of them dragging their feet will cause that some will have theirs fixed quick after the release, while others will be a months or two later.

Maybe users are confused with the difference of a recall and a stop ride.

Usually with a recall, the manufacturer has identified the problem and already done the re-design and testing before they announce it officially. So they have the parts ready to be delivered from the manufacturer, or they are already sitting at the importer of the country, ready to be supplied to the dealers on request.

Very different situation.

I don't expect a date but I do expect an estimated timeline. If the testing fails and pushes it back then more communications are issued. If you want to keep happy customers then keep them informed and not scrabbling around forums where every good piece of information is hidden in a pile of useless gossip. The information you are providing about mid-August... Where is it officially? My complaint is that I have had zero communications from BMW UK and nothing from BMW Customer Service. The latter tell me to speak to my dealer who in turn tells me to speak to customer service. It would be laughable if it weren't so annoying. At least in the USA some options have been forthcoming, no such options have been communicated in the UK.

While I don't fault BMW for its supplier issue, I've begun to rethink my original position - to take the $2,500 when the bike is repaired.

Since I don't know how long it will take, and have a two-week vacation (not on the motorcycle) planned in September, would I be better off simply turning the bike back in for a full-price refund, and getting a '15 model when they're released in the Spring?

I love the RT, and would get another one. The attraction would be that most of my farkles (Nav V, trunk, etc) would transfer to a new bike.

I guess the real decision will come when I have some idea when the "fix" will take place.

I think that is a really good option and probably what I would have done if I had another bike to ride in the interim. I do have another bike but it is a single cylinder dirt bike that I wouldn't want to take on a long trip. Coupled with the fact that I have more time off this summer than I have had in years. Although I'm not making any money I consoled myself with the thought of riding my new RT more than I have in years. That is why I choose the loaner.

I don't expect a date but I do expect an estimated timeline.... My complaint is that I have had zero communications from BMW UK and nothing from BMW Customer Service.... It would be laughable if it weren't so annoying. .

You are 100% right Davejr1200. It is inexcusable for BMW to keep up this arrogant silence. They show the customers (victims) no respect and no regard. Not a peep from them since 6/6. I would call it horrible customer service but its not even that good.

And forever how long this takes, everyone must still make their bike payments...

Roadglide33

Where are you getting this info? BMW has issued suppliers an about timeline? Redesign? It's not like they are trying to design a space ship to go to Pluto... What truly happened in the design/manufacturing process that caused failure? I would think something in manufacturing process went bad, not bad design... But I'm just guessing...

I talked option 3b with my dealer today and it is NOT full buyback. The buyback is executed under terms of the Lemon Law. In Washington it means an "offset for use" deduction of approximately $3,400 based on my 3,300 miles.

Personally this appears to be a kick butt approach by BMW, lacking any good will. They are however entitled to follow (hide behind) the law.

Well one thing for certain is that the information is not coming from BMW. There is no definitive word that redesign is in the works but hard evidence is adding up.

1. No deliveries of RT’s with ESA regardless of when they were manufactured; and

2. Production of RT’s with ESA has halted; and

3. No information from BMW. If this is an easy fix or limited in scope it would seem that they would have come to grips with it by now; finally

4. Did I mention total silence from BMW?

This is way too great a bike to be sitting in my garage gathering dust. Frustration level growing.

I talked option 3b with my dealer today and it is NOT full buyback. The buyback is executed under terms of the Lemon Law. In Washington it means an "offset for use" deduction of approximately $3,400 based on my 3,300 miles.

BMW sold you a safety-defective vehicle that is now a sleek doorstop and they're nickel-diming you $1+ a mile for the little use you got out of it to take it back? Sorry to say it's sounding like the ol' BMW Customer Service of my experience. Great bike; not-so-great company.

If we really are 60-90 days out there will be little riding time after the repair before the snow flies. Its a shame for all concerned.

If a "redesign" is in the works I doubt that the shock manufacture is solely to blame. They will likely claim that some of the problem is based on expected design forces provided by BMW.

I caved. I bought the bike in my new signature line, but the thread here really helped me decide. Thanks all, moving on to my new forum...

Ordered a Wilbers shock today. Should have it in about two weeks.

Alan

One or two. I noticed that they say 2 grand a pair.

Just one for the rear. Once BMW has the replacement parts i will put the stock one back on and take it in to be replaced. Then after riding with the replacement compared to the Wilbers I will decide which one rides better and go with it. If the stock replacement it better I will keep the Wilbers for when the stock wears out.

Alan

Just viewed the Wilbers America website and rebuild video. Looks like Wilbers has a solution. Thanks to AlanS for the lead. Yesterday, I turned down the loaner option that my dealer in Oregon graciously offered. Now, I'm very glad I did. Rather be riding the RT this summer.

http://wilbersamerica.com/#

RAZ

Where are you getting this info? BMW has issued suppliers an about timeline? Redesign? It's not like they are trying to design a space ship to go to Pluto... What truly happened in the design/manufacturing process that caused failure? I would think something in manufacturing process went bad, not bad design... But I'm just guessing...

I tend to think that a clerical/record keeping problem is at the root of it.

It seems that the shaft has to be properly hardened. There is a Rockwell test to verify if that is done properly.

When I got out of college I worked in a quality control department for a few years.

What would normally happen is a sampling of the product would be tested and verified to be hardened properly and records would be kept to state which production runs passed including date, time, etc. Obviously not all are bad since as far as we know there have only been 2 failures. My theory is that when BMW went back to the shock manufacturer they could not locate those records so they had to assume the worst for our safety.

Just a theory.

That's what I call opportunistic and responsive marketing.

Glad that those of you that had planned to try aftermarket shocks anyway or those of you with deep enough pockets to afford the swap now have a ready alternative.

Guess that if BMW comes up with some cash for inconvenienced owners, as I've read about, it will help pay the expense.

Still an inconvenience...

But glad there's a remedy.

I put Wilbers WESA (lowered) on my departed 2011 GSA.

Herman in FL, Wings and Wheels or some such did the conversion.

I surely liked the bike lowered, the ride and handling seemed fine.

Can't say for sure if ride and handling were better or not than OEM. Didn't have the OEM on very long, mainly swapped them out in order to lower the bike.

d'milan

Archived