IGNORED

Immediate cessation of riding - R1200RT

BitScribbler

fourteenfour
Big Ben is not a happy camper. Who thinks BMW will offer any compensation if this thing takes weeks or months to fix? Not!

loaner 650s!

on a serious note, so the shocks are that unique between all models?

I wonder if any used shocks from older bikes would fit the 2014 ?

The FZ9 guys are installing zx6 shocks with some griding and cutting.

Sure would not want to loose the summer if it was my only bike.

I contacted my dealer this morning (Australian time) he initially replied with an email stating BMW would contact owners of affected bikes. ( He clearly had not yet been advised.) He then telephoned later and advised BMW Australia was indicating he should contact customers and advise them to cease riding the bikes. (All Aus RTs are fitted with ESA)

The BMW Technical area advised that Germany was still in the process of establishing whether a VIN range was affected or the entire production. He indicated more information would be available next week. Fortunately I have other bikes to play with, I feel for you guys in the northern hemisphere because I suspect it may take a bit of time to get the issue rectified.

I got the call earlier today. Just after I finished telling my salesman about my fantastic 2,000 mile ride to Utah I just completed, he tells me "Great, now don't ride it anymore". If that isn't bad enough, I live 110 miles from the dealership, so it costs me $60 in gasoline and I waste a day every time I have to trailer the bike back to them. Plus this sounds like it won't be a "We'll fix it while you wait" repair. Grrr...

Pretty effed up. I arrived at the dealer to pick up my new RT at 10:30 this morning and was shown the notice STOP RIDE AND STOP SALE. That meant they would not sell me the bike. Period. I was pretty pissed off even though I get that it might be an unsafe equipment issue. I mean, figure it out BMW before you release the goddamn bike for sale.

And they have to notify every owner to stop riding the bikes immediately.

And of course nobody knows how long it will be before they fix the problem, get the parts and fix the bikes.

I too got the call whilst I was in the shower, I rang Jordan back at BMW Aus and yes my bike is affected to stop riding immediately. It could have been a bit awkward if I had taken the RT on holiday to WA. Fortunately it is sitting on the charger at home locked in my garage with nobody riding it.

This could take weeks to sort out...

I hope BMW makes good with this a bit disappointing really like others have only had the bike a few weeks...

Teddy

BMWcancelledsaleofmybike.jpgbmwstopsale.jpg

Pretty effed up. I arrived at the dealer to pick up my new RT at 10:30 this morning and was shown the notice STOP RIDE AND STOP SALE. That meant they would not sell me the bike. Period. I was pretty pissed off even though I get that it might be an unsafe equipment issue. I mean, figure it out BMW before you release the goddamn bike for sale.

And they have to notify every owner to stop riding the bikes immediately.

And of course nobody knows how long it will be before they fix the problem, get the parts and fix the bikes.

Excellent point thanks! Yes I am happy I didn't pick it up yesterday. I still have my money. But I am disappointed along with everyone else.

Guest Kakugo

I must give BMW some props for this....but it appears it will seriously dent this years earnings!!!!

Given the unbelievable numbers of GS-LC I've seen on the road, I am quite confident they won't have issues putting food on the table this year. ;)

On a related note, can anyone confirm the affected part is the rear shock absorber plunger rod? I've never heard of this particular part failing even on dirt bikes.

I too got the call whilst I was in the shower, I rang Jordan back at BMW Aus and yes my bike is affected to stop riding immediately. It could have been a bit awkward if I had taken the RT on holiday to WA. Fortunately it is sitting on the charger at home locked in my garage with nobody riding it.

This could take weeks to sort out...

I hope BMW makes good with this a bit disappointing really like others have only had the bike a few weeks...

Teddy

Walked into my dealership after work, asking why I wasn't notified. They showed me an email that said that BMW will contact the owners directly.

Walking out of the shop and have a V.Mail on my phone.

Jordan from BMW Australia to call him back. Got the same message: "Stop riding and we will contact you via written letter and organize the bike to be picked up from your place at your convenience".

As a good will gesture, BMW will extend the warranty to 3 years.

I contacted my dealer this morning (Australian time) he initially replied with an email stating BMW would contact owners of affected bikes. ( He clearly had not yet been advised.) He then telephoned later and advised BMW Australia was indicating he should contact customers and advise them to cease riding the bikes. (All Aus RTs are fitted with ESA)

The BMW Technical area advised that Germany was still in the process of establishing whether a VIN range was affected or the entire production. He indicated more information would be available next week. Fortunately I have other bikes to play with, I feel for you guys in the northern hemisphere because I suspect it may take a bit of time to get the issue rectified.

Steve from BMW Australia telephoned this afternoon and gave the same advice as other Aus customers are getting. No answer on when it would be fixed other than they would pick up and return the bike and they would be moving as quickly as possible to rectify. The sweetener being another year on the warranty as consolation.

Yes forgot to add, as compensation BMW offered another 12 months warranty, which added to the three years (I paid for an extra 12 months when I bought the bike) makes a total of four years.

I'll be even happier once the bike is picked up and returned to me without that particular issue.

Teddy

Just been on to the phone to BMW assistance UK - hey are offering hire bikes or cars whilst the recall is in effect, ill have a car with me by mid afternoon - pretty swift service!

Yeah, I am disappointed that I have a new bike that I am told not to ride, Obviously it has BMW running scared to launch a campaign like this and issue a stop ride order. I take that pretty serious. What I would like is more information. Right now all we have is speculation and everyone up in arms with no facts. Most of us bought these for recreation and enjoyment. Yeah we could have bought just about any other brand but we choose these all for our own reasons. Hopefully the dust will settle in the next couple days, we get the facts and get information what BMW is going to do about it. That will be the time to take action if need be.

I have a pretty good background in QA and I also own a small mfg. business. When outsourcing parts from vendors you generally run a (AQL) sample lot for testing. Unless you do see any sort of failure rate you would not do a 100% test on each piece. What little info we have I suspect units passed. The supplier could have made a process change without notifying BMW. ( I have dealt with mfg. in China and if the can take a shortcut and not think it will be caught they will, ( in my business)) Unfortunately things happen and then action has to be taken to correct it.

I will be patient for a little while to collect the facts but not to long!!

They were not specific, they wanted to check whether I had a car license. I think the rental bikes come from the dealers, whilst the cars come from Enterprise

BitScribbler
They were not specific, they wanted to check whether I had a car license. I think the rental bikes come from the dealers, whilst the cars come from Enterprise

Thanks for that; I specifically need a comparable bike, and am working with my (superbly helpful) dealer to resolve this.

Guest Kakugo

Motorrad (pretty much the only motorcycle magazine I trust) had the news today and spoke of an unspecified "defect in the rear shock absorber". They clearly state the concerned parts will be replaced. Not inspected and replaced as needed, but replaced as soon as they can be shipped to dealers.

As said by everybody else, BMW advises owners not to ride the bike until the shock is replaced.

Also said the campaign will affect 8000 units worldwide, which I take are all the RT-LC built so far. No mention of 2013 models, not surprising given BMW shifted shock manufacturer between the two models.

My gut feeling is BMW was carrying out a long term fatigue test on a bunch of these shocks and one or more shocks failed in such spectacular fashion as to send them panicking.

Heard of shock recalls before (I had one swapped under warranty on a VFR) but never before of something so drastic.

Only time in recent memory riders were instructed not to ride the bike until new parts could be installed is when Kawasaki recalled the first generation ZX10R due to a batch of defective wheels.

Folks--

Somewhere along the line, someone added the words "CHECK VIN WITH YOUR DEALER" to the title of their reply. First, we ask that you not do this, as it sometimes mucks up the topic of the thread that was intended by the OP.

Here, it's actually misleading. True, a VIN range document has been circulated that was apparently made available by some dealers. But, the guidance from BMW Motorrad is that STOP RIDING order applies to all ESA-equipped 2014 RTs.

Should you come across a thread title that you think needs fixing, please notify the mods. Thanks!

Folks--

Somewhere along the line, someone added the words "CHECK VIN WITH YOUR DEALER" to the title of their reply. First, we ask that you not do this, as it sometimes mucks up the topic of the thread that was intended by the OP.

Here, it's actually misleading. True, a VIN range document has been circulated that was apparently made available by some dealers. But, the guidance from BMW Motorrad is that STOP RIDING order applies to all ESA-equipped 2014 RTs.

Should you come across a thread title that you think needs fixing, please notify the mods. Thanks!

Mea culpa. I've corrected the subject lines on all posts. Sitting on hands now.

I just got off the phone with BMW NA customer relations. They don't have all the facts yet but no one as of yesterday has been hurt, They hope to have some answers by Monday or Tuesday. If you have plans let them know they will try to work with you. They are looking at doing some sort of compensation to owners and are considering all options. Right now other than the inconvenience and disappointment I will wait to they get back to me next week with the full issue and what the fix is and how long it will take to fix. Then figure out options.

Basically real glad no one has been hurt.

Al

Just got around to washing my bike after my NC ride and re-noticed an oil stain on the left frame just above the shifter. I say re-noticed because I saw it down south but didn't think much of it. Still not sure if it's related but, it's in the right area.

Pat

Guest Kakugo
Just got around to washing my bike after my NC ride and re-noticed an oil stain on the left frame just above the shifter. I say re-noticed because I saw it down south but didn't think much of it. Still not sure if it's related but, it's in the right area.

Pat

Some GS-LC (don't ask the VIN) here are also getting a recall for possible oil leaks in that exact area. Check with your dealer.

Jeff in VA
Motorrad Only time in recent memory riders were instructed not to ride the bike until new parts could be installed is when Kawasaki recalled the first generation ZX10R due to a batch of defective wheels.

Harley Davidson issued a do not ride order on the new Rushmore bikes. Not sure how long it took them to get everything fixed.

A-Red Bill

I am greatful for this timely information. My wethead is a mid-February build. So far there has been no contact from my dealer or BMW with instructions to cease riding. The bike is parked in the garage, cases off. Will not ride again until they inform me that is it safe.

Check the VIN list posted earlier, Feb. was included. If your bike has ESA then your bike is one of the unlucky.

Cheers,

A-Red Bill

It is on the PDF list. Funny thing is that I was on the phone to Southsound just after 1:00pm yesterday trying to get to the bottom of a parts fumble on thier part. I got handed off to service, they said they would call me back, never did, and there was no mention of this issue.

Folks--

Mea culpa. I've corrected the subject lines on all posts. Sitting on hands now.

Renegade! :rofl:

Just wanted to note for all that the VIN list that's been circulated here and elsewhere has roughly 1,000 VINs listed, but the word is that around 8,000 units are affected by the "CEASE RIDING" advisory.

The list may turn out to be definitive, but I'd urge folks not to rely on it as being the final word . . . yet.

The 8,000 is the number of bikes affected worldwide. I believe the VIN list is just bikes exported to the U.S. (Canada too?).

Walked into my dealership after work, asking why I wasn't notified. They showed me an email that said that BMW will contact the owners directly.

Walking out of the shop and have a V.Mail on my phone.

Jordan from BMW Australia to call him back. Got the same message: "Stop riding and we will contact you via written letter and organize the bike to be picked up from your place at your convenience".

As a good will gesture, BMW will extend the warranty to 3 years.

The minimum I would accept is the extra year PLUS the time without the bike (which by the look of it, could be a while).

"As a good gesture BMW will extend the warranty to three years". Was that intended to be a joke? The bike already has a three year warranty.

Morning David

I'm not sure on the 2014 but in the past BMW warranty times/coverage was different in different countries.

Australia might only come with a 2 year.

Different markets different warrantee times. How they can do that, I don't know.

Pat

Edit

Ah..... D.R. ya got me by a minute! :grin:

Hi John

I am not as upset as a lot of others appear to be.

But I can tell you that my wife was NOT happy, as we ride together (she has her own bike).

I accepted the fact before even purchasing the bike that there might be issues here or there, as this is the 1st generation absolute cutting edge from the ground up new design boxer.

As much as I love it, this is not my only transport, so to me it's not such a big deal.

I can see others to be a lot more upset as they might be missing out on planned trips, holidays etc.

Failure are common in today's world. My work vehicle just had a safety alert at work. On one of our vehicles, the front cross member had cracked all the way through...this is a 4WD!!

My very expensive Smart TV lasted 4 days when problems started. It then took 2 repair attempts and a total of 4 weeks to have it finally replaced.

Our Grand Carnival, top of the line with leather seats, electric sliding doors etc, had unfix-able wheel alignment issues from day 1.

I can give you another dozen examples of failures that should have never happened.

I am really not trying to excuse it, just trying to give our existing issue some down to earth perspective.

Just remember.

Just ten years ago, a car cost you a years salary.

Today I can buy 3-4 midsize cars.

Same with the bikes. They are in a very competitive market where 2~3 years of testing on the road just isn't possible anymore.

Guest Kakugo
Hi John

I am not as upset as a lot of others appear to be.

But I can tell you that my wife was NOT happy, as we ride together (she has her own bike).

I accepted the fact before even purchasing the bike that there might be issues here or there, as this is the 1st generation absolute cutting edge from the ground up new design boxer.

As much as I love it, this is not my only transport, so to me it's not such a big deal.

I can see others to be a lot more upset as they might be missing out on planned trips, holidays etc.

Failure are common in today's world. My work vehicle just had a safety alert at work. On one of our vehicles, the front cross member had cracked all the way through...this is a 4WD!!

My very expensive Smart TV lasted 4 days when problems started. It then took 2 repair attempts and a total of 4 weeks to have it finally replaced.

Our Grand Carnival, top of the line with leather seats, electric sliding doors etc, had unfix-able wheel alignment issues from day 1.

I can give you another dozen examples of failures that should have never happened.

I am really not trying to excuse it, just trying to give our existing issue some down to earth perspective.

Just remember.

Just ten years ago, a car cost you a years salary.

Today I can buy 3-4 midsize cars.

Same with the bikes. They are in a very competitive market where 2~3 years of testing on the road just isn't possible anymore.

Those are very wise words.

Last time I took my Honda car to the dealer to have it serviced, the girl at the reception/spare parts service quipped "If they still built car like yours today, we'd be out of business".

Yes, it's a 14 years old beater, and yes, it's like one of those old Briggs & Stratton cast iron engines: it just goes on and on and on and on.

The courtesy car they gave me is what Honda now peddles instead of my mule. Plainly put it's a pile of junk, and whoever buys it will be lucky to see five years out of it without a major repair bill or a ton of small nags which together will take lots of money to be fixed.

I am sure Honda would really like to be still making a car like mine, but times have changed. Cars (and bikes) are disposable items now, not long term purchases. Just look at how many cars Nissan, Ford, Volkswagen etc have parked near their factories rusting away and collecting dust. They come off the assembly line like cellphones in Shenzen.

That's one of the reasons I am extremely reluctant even to consider replacing my Hexhead right now. It has over 84000km on it now and it still looks and feels great. Would a Wethead be still so good at the same mileage? I tend to buy bikes long term, so that means careful considerations and buying well into model lifespan, so that there's a lot of experience around and the most glaring faults have been identified and, hopefully, corrected.

Different markets different warrantee times. How they can do that, I don't know.

Pat

I think it's fairly easy. Warranty provisions, as far as I know, are set by the bike's importer, not by BMW Germany. So, for example, bikes imported and distributed to Canadian dealers by BMW Canada have a three-year, unlimited mileage (kilometre) warranty. Bikes in the U.S., as you know, have a three-year, 36,000-mile warranty. The same presumably applies in Australia.

As bad as this is, I'm very glad to see BMW as a company taking a defect like this seriously enough to issue the DNR. The money it's costing them is a worthwile price to pay for our safety. Hopefully other companies will take the safety of their riders as seriously. Also hoping they can get the trouble sorted ASAP.

That's a shame about this. Too much Tech! When I ordered my '13 GS without all those options my dealer thought I was a nut. I had to wait 3 months for a "low spec" bike too. I just wanted a Motorcycle.

Just to share my experience. I just learned about this only from reading this board, at 5 PM on Saturday. I have not been contacted by anybody.

I immediately called the dealer I purchased from (450 mile from where I live -- Salt Lake City, UT). He admitted that he has received a bulletin and is "supposed to tell me not to ride it." But ... "don't worry".

Carry on. :-/

scott r1200rt

MY dealer, second wind BMW gave me a bike to use. A 2007 gs adventure. very I've of them. At least i get to ride this weekend!!

scott

And here's another prediction: You ain't seen the last problem with your '14 BMW because this is only the beginning. You don't believe it? Just take a few hours to scan through the oilhead forum on this and other sights. Take a look at what consumer reports have to say about BMW bikes and their cars as well. For 23K you become nothing more than a Beta tester for the renowned Bavarian Motor Works.

So let me share a few other perfect bike problems. My buddies 2013 FJR required all valves and valve guides to be replaced at 20k miles and his cruise control has given up the ghost twice. Another close fried rode his 2012 Ultraclassic to visit me and at 8000 miles in transmission was completely shot. They sent a truck to get him and fixed it. My buddies Suzuki Bandit had the clutch disenigrate at 10k miles. My Honda CB 500 had this jewel

IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL NOTICE--2013 CB500F, CB500X, CBR500R

March 7, 2014

Honda has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2013 model year Honda CB500F/CB500X/CBR500R motorcycles. There is a possibility that one of the bolts used in the assembly of the engine may not have received the proper anti-corrosion treatment, which could allow the bolts to loosen during operation. A bolt that loosens or falls out during operation can cause an oil leak, a reduction in engine power or an engine stall, increasing the risk of a crash

And then there is this

IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL NOTICE 2012 NC700X/XD

October 8, 2012

Honda has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2012 model year Honda NC700X and NC700XD motorcycles. Drive chains on affected motorcycles may have outer plates that were improperly heat-treated and could fracture while riding. If a plate fractures, the motorcycle can unexpectedly lose propulsion, which increases the risk of a crash.

So the recall of a shock...doesn't rattle me at all. Most everything else on the 2014 is not new but has been on other bikes from 1- a few years.

I'm proud to own mine.

It would be nice if we could use this thread for the 2014RT owners to keep each other up to date on news related to the recall and if others would like to bash us for buying them, it might be good to start a 2014 bashing thread...just saying...

So let me share a few other perfect bike problems. My buddies 2013 FJR required all valves and valve guides to be replaced at 20k miles and his cruise control has given up the ghost twice. Another close fried rode his 2012 Ultraclassic to visit me and at 8000 miles in transmission was completely shot. They sent a truck to get him and fixed it. My buddies Suzuki Bandit had the clutch disenigrate at 10k miles. My Honda CB 500 had this jewel

IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL NOTICE--2013 CB500F, CB500X, CBR500R

March 7, 2014

Honda has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2013 model year Honda CB500F/CB500X/CBR500R motorcycles. There is a possibility that one of the bolts used in the assembly of the engine may not have received the proper anti-corrosion treatment, which could allow the bolts to loosen during operation. A bolt that loosens or falls out during operation can cause an oil leak, a reduction in engine power or an engine stall, increasing the risk of a crash

And then there is this

IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL NOTICE 2012 NC700X/XD

October 8, 2012

Honda has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2012 model year Honda NC700X and NC700XD motorcycles. Drive chains on affected motorcycles may have outer plates that were improperly heat-treated and could fracture while riding. If a plate fractures, the motorcycle can unexpectedly lose propulsion, which increases the risk of a crash.

So the recall of a shock...doesn't rattle me at all. Most everything else on the 2014 is not new but has been on other bikes from 1- a few years.

I'm proud to own mine.

It would be nice if we could use this thread for the 2014RT owners to keep each other up to date on news related to the recall and if others would like to bash us for buying them, it might be good to start a 2014 bashing thread...just saying...

Well said and I totally agree with you. Even though I'm stuck 1,800 miles from home I'm still happy with my new RT.

And Honda likely found this out through a GIDEP alert as they don't make the chains or the bolts, these standard parts were available to and impacted this and in some cases other industries.

Most of the primary suppliers and their sub tiers are utilized by all the motor sports manufacturers, supply chain management is not easy when you get to the third and fourth levels where most of the risk is, ask a couple of large aviation companies.

I'm proud to own mine.

:clap::thumbsup:

And here's another prediction: You ain't seen the last problem with your '14 BMW because this is only the beginning. You don't believe it? Just take a few hours to scan through the oilhead forum on this and other sights. Take a look at what consumer reports have to say about BMW bikes and their cars as well. For 23K you become nothing more than a Beta tester for the renowned Bavarian Motor Works.

I have just sold all my BMWs.

Thank you for your most informative and well researched post.

Archived