IGNORED

Craigslist find of the day

TEWKS

4 hours ago, Darbarian said:

I just put a deposit on a 1976 R90/6 that I will be riding home next week... He had the odometer trip out on him, but estimates 50,000 miles ... seems about right.

1976BMWR906.thumb.jpg.3dd23754010d53d07d00e53647e817d3.jpg

I will probably lose the fairing ... and probably the side bags intermittently for aesthetics VS groceries.   I found a cool fairing on e-bay for sixty bucks that I may try out. 

These bikes are fun. Not fast, but you can ride them as fast as they will go,and not get in trouble. Plus, they are built to last.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
13 hours ago, taylor1 said:

Don’t tell the cops in W.Va. that. They got me pretty good speeding on mine:bike:

"I couldn't have been going THAT fast, officer, this is a vintage 1976 bike."

szurszewski
1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

If you can get past the ugly it’s cheap fun!  :yes: I looked at one of these for a buddy a while back and took it for a ride. While not fast (on par with an older Harley) it was a nice cruiser.
image.thumb.jpeg.11641d9905c65abad40bdfb87f90a11a.jpeg

I sort of accidentally bought one early this year - but without the spider eyes fairing - and have been riding it a little while working on getting my knee bendy enough to ride the other bikes. It’s actually pretty pleasant around town and has enough power if you’re feeling leisurely. 

My only real gripe is that the sidecases are a joke - like having two gloveboxes. The fancier models, like this one, at least got reasonable luggage. 

I don’t expect them to get much cheaper than they are right now…

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

Some people like those things!  I'm not one of them, but some people..... ;) 

I don't like the styling, I'm sure the performance is yawn inspiring BUT, I'm having a hard not shooing him an email this morning. :dontknow:  That's a lot of motorcycle for the money. :yes:  

• Plus 1 1
Lone_RT_rider
Just now, TEWKS said:

I don't like the styling, I'm sure the performance is yawn inspiring BUT, I'm having a hard not shooing him an email this morning. :dontknow:  That's a lot of motorcycle for the money. :yes:  

Here's the questions you need to ask yourself Pat.  

1.  Do you really have room for it in the garage?

2.  If you don't, would you sell anything you have to make the room? 

I'll bet those two questions make the ability to not hit send a lot easier. :4323:

• Like 1
szurszewski
2 hours ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

Here's the questions you need to ask yourself Pat.  

1.  Do you really have room for it in the garage?

2.  If you don't, would you sell anything you have to make the room? 

I'll bet those two questions make the ability to not hit send a lot easier. :4323:

They definitely don not have a small “footprint” (especially that model) so that is an important question. 

• Like 1

I contacted the owner on that above CLC. He had two potential buyers in front of me. #1 guy just bought it. Oh well, September 28th is the big reveal of the new R 1300 GS. Who knows, I might just have to have one. :dontknow: So just as well I saved the coin.

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
fourteenfour
20 hours ago, TEWKS said:

I contacted the owner on that above CLC. He had two potential buyers in front of me. #1 guy just bought it. Oh well, September 28th is the big reveal of the new R 1300 GS. Who knows, I might just have to have one. :dontknow: So just as well I saved the coin.

to be honest you did best by not buying one, I found them oddly top heavy and tippy and woefully under powered as all that extra weight needed the engine tuning updated

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I probably felt a bit of relief when he texted it was sold. I didn’t need it but $2500 for that much bike was tempting.

Appreciated,  fourteenfour. :thumbsup:

Sometimes getting A LOT for your money is not all that desirable...

Apologies in advance ... don't worry, the vision will go away eventually. 

super morbidly obese.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Sad 2
  • 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

I think it begs the question, why?

I guess someone wanted a more complicated, heavier/slower possibly worse handling version of the original bike? Or may they just wanted to see the quizzically disappointed look on people’s faces when someone said, oh shit - you’ve got two engines! And then they said, oh no - that’s just decorative. 

• Haha 1

It does seem a bit silly if not functional. Ok, a lot silly. To me it takes away from the value greatly. Worth far more as a nicely done stock machine than a modified machine with a fake 2nd motor. It's not like a dummy muffler to balance looks, which I don't like, it's a whole fake motor!

And outrageously priced.

5 hours ago, duckhawk64 said:

1999, DR350, 1900 miles, 65mpg. I like mine better. 

20220902_190403.jpg

I've sold nearly all my dualsports but stubbornly still clinging to a '99 DR350 with a few less miles on it, one of the best and simplest small dualsports ever made. 

4 hours ago, Hosstage said:

It does seem a bit silly if not functional. Ok, a lot silly. To me it takes away from the value greatly. Worth far more as a nicely done stock machine than a modified machine with a fake 2nd motor. It's not like a dummy muffler to balance looks, which I don't like, it's a whole fake motor!

And outrageously priced.

This was at our local m/c show years ago, a much nicer execution and pretty sure it was fully functional, you can tell by the color of both exhaust tips.

IMG_0861.JPG

• Like 2
15 hours ago, roadscholar said:

I've sold nearly all my dualsports but stubbornly still clinging to a '99 DR350 with a few less miles on it, one of the best and simplest small dualsports ever made. 

I have a 2007 "Mighty DR", the 650.  Pro Taper bars, Warp 9 clutch and brake levers, Acerbis barkbusters, Happy Trails bash plate, OEM luggage rack, Ricor Fork Intiminators.  1950 miles, I just ride it to the gym but it makes me smile, especially on the way home. 

• Smile 1
1 hour ago, Paddler said:

I have a 2007 "Mighty DR", the 650.  Pro Taper bars, Warp 9 clutch and brake levers, Acerbis barkbusters, Happy Trails bash plate, OEM luggage rack, Ricor Fork Intiminators.  1950 miles, I just ride it to the gym but it makes me smile, especially on the way home. 

Probably had a half dozen DR650's and similar amount DRZ400's over the years (and a couple KTM 350/400's), both great bikes but always considered the mini DR best of both worlds, much better offroad than a 650 especially in Fla sand (where less is more) and nicer on road than the 400 having a 6 speed. This was my last 650, not (nearly) as fast as the big KTM on pavement but with a w/s and seat was an excellent dirt oriented touring bike, got me plenty of places I wouldn't take a GS.

IMG_2592.JPG

IMG_1368.JPG

• Like 1

I had a 1995 DR650 in 2005. I used to drive 90mph to the local dirtriding area. Should of never sold it.

The little sister dr350 ,  lowered suspension, suits me well nowadays. The friend that sold it to me is a true gentleman. Thanks again Micheal S.

37 minutes ago, duckhawk64 said:

I had a 1995 DR650 in 2005. I used to drive 90mph to the local dirtriding area. Should of never sold it.

The little sister dr350 ,  lowered suspension, suits me well nowadays. The friend that sold it to me is a true gentleman. Thanks again Micheal S.

Years ago I had four at one time : ) nice ones are tough to pass up when they surface and getting harder to find every year. Had a couple WR250's too, the modern day equivalent with FI and a little better suspension but the DR still had more mid range grunt which is where you want it. Some don't realize the last two years (98 and 99) had beefier suspension which was carried over to the DRZ400. Also found a rare street legal DRZ 250, super light and really good off road altho just barely enough oomph to get over the big passes (particularly when jetted for sea level : ) In dualsporting finding the right combination of dual is elusive but the 350 DR is about as close as you can get.

IMG_1762.JPG

IMG_1661.JPG

IMG_1082 - Copy.JPG

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

Years ago I had four at one time : ) nice ones are tough to pass up when they surface and getting harder to find every year. Had a couple WR250's too, the modern day equivalent with FI and a little better suspension but the DR still had more mid range grunt which is where you want it. Some don't realize the last two years (98 and 99) had beefier suspension which was carried over to the DRZ400. Also found a rare street legal DRZ 250, super light and really good off road altho just barely enough oomph to get over the big passes. In dualsporting finding the right combination of dual is elusive but the 350 DR is about as close as you can get.

IMG_1762.JPG

IMG_1661.JPG

IMG_1082 - Copy.JPG

We rode the Colorado Rockies last year, but on the R1100R and the R1250RS.  So no dirt, of course.  I wrote a ride report for the Beehive Beemers, the local BMW club.  Unfortunately it's 15.1MB so won't load here.

34 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

A little rough around the edges but super low miles. Had a couple of those, an airhead with decent suspension and brakes and noticeably faster than those preceding it. I don't know what they did but you can scoot right along on one especially in the mountains.  They were the first bikes used in the Boxer Cup Series (hence the tank decal) so maybe were all tweaked some to keep the pros mildly interested : )

• Like 1

I would need to agree on how rare it is. I would know, since I have one as well. No trailer. Also for sale. They are great fun....until I found out the RT is more comfortable.

Told the story many times about wishing I never traded my 97 F-650. That bike took me to Goose Bay and then on to Newfoundland without a hiccup. As solid as it was, I think it was the memories and places it took me that caused the regret.

I actually found it for sale again on Craigslist fairly recently but didn’t chase it. That says something, but what IDK?  :dontknow:

Dennis Andress

Porsche is adamant that the Cayman/Boxster can not be faster than the 911, hence the dorky turbo 4 cylinder. 

In GTS trim the current 718 come pretty close, with a NA flat 6 cylinder producing 394 horsepower. 

image.thumb.png.cc2db3a7e4cedc602cf2879bcdcbe64f.png

• Like 1