IGNORED

Craigslist find of the day

TEWKS

1 hour ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

Try lifting one off the side stand while sitting on it. If feels heavier than any HD I've ever ridden.

How’s this for engineering genius? :read: What if you took a fifty pound dumbbell and ratchet strapped it to the right cylinder. :dontknow: It’d be feather light coming off the side stand then!  :yes: Ok never mind, I’ll go put out a fire somewhere. :classic_blush:

• Haha 2
  • Thinking 1
Lone_RT_rider
9 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

How’s this for engineering genius? :read: What if you took a fifty pound dumbbell and ratchet strapped it to the right cylinder. :dontknow: It’d be feather light coming off the side stand then!  :yes: Ok never mind, I’ll go put out a fire somewhere. :classic_blush:

Yeah, but then I would have to put my tool kit in the left bag to offset it.....  :3:

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

Yeah, but then I would have to put my tool kit in the left bag to offset it.....  :3:

Sounds like a vicious circle! :5146:

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

I guess the other option is leg strengthening exercises. 

• Like 1
Hosstage
15 minutes ago, Ponch said:

If only it was a different color. That's one area BMW fails at. 50 shades of gray, silver or some other neutral. 

Harley certainly gets that part right.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 2
Lone_RT_rider
39 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Sounds like a vicious circle! :5146:

It would end in suspension upgrades from all the extra weight!  Of course, you'd have all the tools available to change out the shock.  ;) 

• Like 1
szurszewski
3 hours ago, Darbarian said:

Geeze, the R18s look HUGE, but I am surprised they are only 760 pounds ... that is too much for me, but still a lot less than most of the competition. 

In person they look even bigger, but they also seem very low (and sitting on one confirms). That listed weight is almost a hundred pounds under the k1200lt. I have a good number of miles on a couple of those and they didn’t really feel heavy. Less top heavy than my old rt for sure. 

fourteenfour
9 hours ago, Darbarian said:

Geeze, the R18s look HUGE, but I am surprised they are only 760 pounds ... that is too much for me, but still a lot less than most of the competition. 

Actually the one in the picture is 877lbs ready to roll.  A new 2024 Road Glide like I own is 838 ready to ride and is night and day more nimble and comfortable.  Now BMW does discount these bikes heavily, usually offer zero percent interest, and money on the purchase.... but honestly outside of the fact it has a boxer motor it is not a BMW touring bike.   Oh, the BMW it has a 28.3 seat height which is tad high for cruisers, the Road Glide sits at 26".  That 2004 K1200LT is 843lbs ready to ride with a seat height just over 30"

As for getting the R18B off the side stand, turn the wheel all the way to the right and it will be much easier.

I was warned it was worth less than half the selling price the moment anyone drives one out the door, that was for trade consideration...   fortunately its so bad I never was tempted

• Like 1
14 hours ago, fourteenfour said:

877lbs

And you feel every one of them...... One of many reasons I bought my Moto Guzzi, she's a svelte  :rofl: 701lbs.

szurszewski
1 minute ago, Dennis Andress said:

There’s a little cult of those things

I thought we just established their definite lack of littleness… ;)

• Smile 1
  • Haha 1
SDCRJohn
5 hours ago, brianh70 said:

Way cool bike!  However, in my opinion, they're asking about... oh... maybe $6000 too much considering the condition.

1976 BMW R90S - Excellent Condition - Road ready - Always Garaged - motorcycles/scooters - by dealer - vehicle... (craigslist.org)

The value of any R90 S, is on its originality. This one is no longer original, as the fairing, and rear wheel has been changed. Not to mention that the bars have been “cut”.

i think the seller has a bad case of BaT fever. 

• Plus 1 1

The R18s should keep dropping in price as more of them continue to be garage queens. They should be in the $6-8K range within 3 years.

18 minutes ago, AviP said:

They should be in the $6-8K range within 3 years.

I’d buy one right now for 7K. :5146:  Oh wait, then I’d need to spend 90 bucks on one of these, never mind. :classic_biggrin:

IMG_0754.webp.5ace06f8ae84cabc0c5583837c055df9.webp

• Haha 2
SDCRJohn
45 minutes ago, AviP said:

The R18s should keep dropping in price as more of them continue to be garage queens. They should be in the $6-8K range within 3 years.

I test road one a few years ago, when the demo truck came to Hermy’s. I would have a hard time coughing up $4000. For one. Shook like a paint can mixer.

• Like 1

Seems like a gem but everything has probably seized internally. Remember, that it has been sitting unused for about 50 years in cold, wet and damp PA. $1000 is a good price for an "experimental" tear down. A simple lifting of the rear wheel and rotating it in gear should give an idea whether the engine has seized.

Oh, and no title!

28 minutes ago, AviP said:

Seems like a gem but everything has probably seized internally. Remember, that it has been sitting unused for about 50 years in cold, wet and damp PA. $1000 is a good price for an "experimental" tear down. A simple lifting of the rear wheel and rotating it in gear should give an idea whether the engine has seized.

Oh, and no title!

That may break something internal.
IIWM, I would try the kerosene, Marvel mystery mixture down the spark plugs, and let it sit for at least a month.

But, I agree, about a thousand is about right.