IGNORED

Craigslist find of the day

TEWKS

50 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

you typing to a guy that puts ladders on the roof of a truck to reach a 4-5 inch branch;)

That can't be much more dangerous than me standing in my diesel tractor's loader bucket while reaching out using a chain saw on  branches with my wife operating the loader bucket! It not only needs to go WAAAY up but she has to keep it pretty level at the same time, almost above her pay grade  (yes, I do make sure that she isn't mad at me before doing the above) 

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 4
2 hours ago, Hosstage said:

I think a lot of luck involved as much as anything to keep me and my friends alive.

Some of my best memories in life were born from stupid decisions! :yes:

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, dirtrider said:

That can't be much more dangerous than me standing in my diesel tractor's loader bucket while reaching out using a chain saw on  branches with my wife operating the loader bucket! It not only needs to go WAAAY up but she has to keep it pretty level at the same time, almost above her pay grade  (yes, I do make sure that she isn't mad at me before doing the above) 

Ya, next time she's driving me in the bucket, I'll get a happy snap.  Done that stuff too.

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Hosstage said:

We didn't always make good decisions when we were younger.

Hell, I don't  make good decisions when  I'm older.

I don't ride snow machines much anymore, sold mine. It's cold, they need to be trailered to trails where I live, snow is inconsistent, they get stuck and it's hard work, and it's cold. I don't like cold.

But I sure do appreciate both the old and new machines. 

We have a neighbor, real nice guy, with a real "Navy style" mouth, so we get along O.K.. 😁  But seriously, the guy is a semi-retired equipment operator, and has had other careers, is a year younger than I am, and he just "finally retired" last year, right before he broke ground "for a friend" on a 50 acre parcel.  The guy drinks, smokes like a chimney, MUCH better shape than I've been for at least 15 years, and he just never stops.  He sold some property up north (Idaho) and moved down to our lake, taking on a pair of broken down cabins and renovating them, one for his daughter, and one for him and his wife's new home.   Even when he's not actually "working", he's out in 10 degree weather doing something, chopping wood, cleaning up or clearing something, and usually with one of his grandson's helping him.   Heck, this year, the city's snowplow broke down during the first big storm (maybe 9" total over two days), and he was running up and down the street with his 4-wheel ATV, with a plow attached, plowing the street and neighbors driveways and parking areas.   Just for fun, mostly.  He is a bee hive of activity, whose energy level, I envy.  He's the ideal "Idaho man".

Anyhow, that's a lead up to one of his other Idaho hobbies, snowmobiling.  He just spent a week or so with his wife (she has her own snowmobile and motorcycle) and another couple in the Montana wilderness, snowmobiling.  Just something to do, like, no big deal.  As you said, snowmobiles are big, heavy, get stuck, it's COLD where they run best, and I'm just not up for it.  Maybe 10 years ago, it's something I would have loved to try, but today?  I'm just too old, fat, slow, and enjoy an easy chair and fire in the fireplace too much to go outside and have that kind of fun.  (Yeah, it's a real problem.  "Sedentary" is what happens just before "died too young". 🙄😖)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Rougarou said:

If you survived, it was a smart decision 

I'll go with "blessed".  Like, every Memorial day or Veterans day, I think "why am I here, and not some of my buddies...". 😒

"Smart" is a great thing, but ultimately, "live or die" has a lot more to do with either luck, or a higher power, than anything in my low IQ brain.

But, again, I digress, and too serious for this thread, but it just popped into my mind with your comment.

• Plus 1 2
59 minutes ago, SDCRJohn said:

I like airheads, and they are appreciating. I can’t really tell if this is a “find” or a “dud.”

https://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/mcy/d/navesink-1977-bmw-cc/7591988677.html

EC3235B7-52C0-424F-BFAE-0477AE0E1524.jpeg

Ran when parked 7 years ago, but the lights went out. Needs to be rewired. Doubtful it can be made to run when picked up (my words). I don't see one shiny part on it, including the rusty handlebars. Worth $10,000 restored (eh, maybe). Wants $4000.

Not for me.

• Plus 1 1
3 hours ago, SDCRJohn said:

I like airheads, and they are appreciating. I can’t really tell if this is a “find” or a “dud.”

Dud, it’s worth about 5k tops restored not 10, it’s a 1500.-2k bike as is because of the unknowns. Wrong wheels too, those are Lester mags, an aftermarket wheel people used occasionally but not worth as much as originals. Check back with him in 2 months once reality sets in.

• Plus 1 1

says it’s been in the garage for seven years - is the garage door-less and on the beach? Maybe they meant 10 years and it was parked in the garage just before Sandy flooded the place…

• Like 1
23 hours ago, RandyShields said:

On my ride through Canada a few years ago on my trek to US corner no. 1 in Madawaska, ME, I passed a historical marker about Joseph-Armand Bombardier's development of the first Ski Doo (after building a small bus with tracks to get kids to school).  As summarized in Wikipedia, what a cool story. I had no idea.  The rest is history:

The first ever Ski-Doo was launched in 1959 as a new invention created by Joseph-Armand Bombardier. The original name was Ski-Dog, but a typographical error in a Bombardier brochure changed the name Ski-Dog to Ski-Doo. Upon discovery of the typo, Bombardier considered that typo a fortuitous development since he felt it not only sounded appealing, but it was distinctive and simple to trademark for his vehicle.

image.thumb.jpeg.fe500d3c2e3561ee43b06f289d25e6ca.jpeg

And look where his company is now.... Bombardier Recreational Products is now BRP with 8 brands 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, BamaJohn said:

And look where his company is now.... Bombardier Recreational Products is now BRP with 8 brands 

And beyond recreational products, they are a multi-national goliath, with a finance arm and division that makes corporate jets.  Not bad for a start making a snow bus.

OIP.jpg

• Like 5
3 hours ago, RandyShields said:

And beyond recreational products, they are a multi-national goliath, with a finance arm and division that makes corporate jets.  Not bad for a start making a snow bus.

OIP.jpg

im sure one of these will get auctioned on BaT someday. Never saw one in the wild.

im sure one of these will get auctioned on BaT someday. Never saw one in the wild.

A tour company in Montana still uses them in Yellowstone National Park, as does the park itself. Took a ride in one 3 years ago. Yellowstone is a whole different place in the winter, can see more detail further distance. Plus it's cool to see the thermal springs and rivers steaming, all the animals that flock to them. 

I've got a picture of my wife and I standing next to the Bombardier snow bus, but I try not to post pictures of me or family on the 'net.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Ya, next time she's driving me in the bucket, I'll get a happy snap.  Done that stuff too.

All you crazy BMW riders are dare devils at heart, I'm telling ya!!!  🤣  When life gets too boring, and a fast ride on the bike ain't enough, you invent new ways to get your "young (and stupid) again thrills!".  🙃😁

(No, I don't "also do it, too", and my wife's not here to tell y'all otherwise! 😛)

"Hmm, nope, I don't need no harness.  I can just hang over the edge, and get this here corner 6x6 cedar post stained in no time at all!  Uhh, what am I hanging onto again?!"   

image.png.e94148144e244746576cadb9aa8653c4.png

This was from the "low" balcony.  I did the next higher one, too, removing the railing, sanding/stripping and staining the support posts, and that balcony is 40' up off the driveway.  Plus, I have developed a pretty severe case of vertigo, causing something called "illyngophobia", which isn't technically a fear of heights, but fear of vertigo AT height, making it difficult for me even to cross a tall bridge without locking my eyes on the bridge pavement.   So, I did this with my eyes either 3" from the post, or locked firmly at the balcony deck.  Just one glance over the horizon for me, and it's all over.  Damn.Old.Age!  😡

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
On 2/21/2023 at 8:17 PM, szurszewski said:

says it’s been in the garage for seven years - is the garage door-less and on the beach? Maybe they meant 10 years and it was parked in the garage just before Sandy flooded the place…

For only $10,000 in parts and labor you can have your very own $5,000 BMW.

• Haha 2
  • Thinking 1
On 2/22/2023 at 3:10 PM, Scott9999 said:

All you crazy BMW riders are dare devils at heart, I'm telling ya!!!  🤣  When life gets too boring, and a fast ride on the bike ain't enough, you invent new ways to get your "young (and stupid) again thrills!".  🙃😁

(No, I don't "also do it, too", and my wife's not here to tell y'all otherwise! 😛)

"Hmm, nope, I don't need no harness.  I can just hang over the edge, and get this here corner 6x6 cedar post stained in no time at all!  Uhh, what am I hanging onto again?!"   

image.png.e94148144e244746576cadb9aa8653c4.png

This was from the "low" balcony.  I did the next higher one, too, removing the railing, sanding/stripping and staining the support posts, and that balcony is 40' up off the driveway.  Plus, I have developed a pretty severe case of vertigo, causing something called "illyngophobia", which isn't technically a fear of heights, but fear of vertigo AT height, making it difficult for me even to cross a tall bridge without locking my eyes on the bridge pavement.   So, I did this with my eyes either 3" from the post, or locked firmly at the balcony deck.  Just one glance over the horizon for me, and it's all over.  Damn.Old.Age!  😡

Home alone, wife not here to catch me if i fall, straddling the top rail of the scaffolding to get some high spots

F02E5D0D-618C-4BCA-A197-01E185985A8D.thumb.jpeg.9315e2f36a8442c4e153f8e98408bdf8.jpeg

• Smile 1
2 hours ago, Hosstage said:

You are an OSHA nightmare!

Who's that?

You may want to contact the EPA concerning my firepit

33 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

....and taking photos to boot.   :dontknow:

C'mon man, if pics aren't taken, it didn't happen.

• Haha 2
9 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Home alone, wife not here to catch me if i fall, straddling the top rail of the scaffolding to get some high spots

F02E5D0D-618C-4BCA-A197-01E185985A8D.thumb.jpeg.9315e2f36a8442c4e153f8e98408bdf8.jpeg

There's always one "hey, hold ma beer" in the bunch.  😁

Except in OUR bunch.  It seems that they're all over the place.  

I have to fix all of the LP Smartside siding boards on my  house which were installed by those intrepid "master carpenters" by butting ends together, leaving no space for expansion, so that many look like  this " --^-- " at the joints.  I have to cut the nails (if they even used 'em at the butt joints), put wedges under the 10" boards to pry 'em away from the wall, slide a piece of sheet metal up the middle, cut a 3/16" to 1/4" joint between them, prime the cut ends, remove the wedges and nail the boards back down, run a line of ASTM C920 rated caulk in the gap (yeah, they used the wrong caulk, too!), then touch up with paint I bought last fall that I ~~hope~~ matches the original.  Over and over.  From the bottom plates to the 40' high rafters.  I have to cut out the painters caulk (which cracked and separated within 2 years) everywhere I can reach it and redo it with the proper stuff.  You're luck you have your scaffolding to work on.  I thought about renting or buying some, but with the steep incline and soft dirt, I'll probably rent a mega$$$$ self-propelled lift (like I did the last time I painted the house), which probably means I'll also paint the house, since the touch up paint I bought last fall probably won't match.  🙄😖  (Then again, I'm cheap, so I'll probably try to do most of this with the 32' ladder.)

Wait, wait... what were we talking about again?   

Oh, yeah, @TEWKS, feed us some of those hot craigslist ads again.   Me, I'm looking for a new pickup truck. 😁

• Smile 1
50 minutes ago, Scott9999 said:

Oh, yeah, @TEWKS, feed us some of those hot craigslist ads again.   Me, I'm looking for a new pickup truck. 😁

I’ll check the inventory. Ford, yes of course. :18: 

4 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

I’ll check the inventory. Ford, yes of course. :18: 

Heck, my last 3 pick-ups and two cars for Mama were Fords, but having looked around at out-of-sight prices, a new Dodge for the price of a late model used Ford looks pretty sweet.  Maybe next fall, my piggy bank will hold enough pennies to get me there.

• Like 2

Looks well kept ^ and wow I can’t believe somebody actually puts less mileage on their trucks than I do.

A coworker just picked up this strange looking p/u. Why is the cab so short and the bed so long? ;) Oh, that’s how most pickup trucks looked not that long ago! :)

image.thumb.jpeg.e3d505cc619c910860a3f6ae5cb829ba.jpeg

^ $20,000 :jaw: 

At one time in the not so distant past you could have bought that thing for $1,800.00 bucks. Early 80’s I’m talking, before the retro car craze took hold followed by the retro truck craze. JMO from a casual observer. :dontknow:

• Plus 1 1
8 hours ago, 9Mary7 said:

Lol, I can GUARANTEE ya that that pickup originally listed for half that price.  My 2008 Ford F150 cost me $18,000 (yeah, economic freefall times), and the 2003 before, about $23000, which was $4000 less than their Ford "employee plan" (i.e. I was indirectly a Ford consultant/employee, and had access to their program; the one I bought was a weekend lost leader - yeah, the Lord has blessed me so far).  Anyhow, I'll bet that pickup was $15K when first bought, and the guy is tickled to death, anticipating his bragging rights at recouping 150% of his original cost.   😁

Anyhow, my wife would call that a "project", not a pickup, and after the misadventures I just had trying to backflush her "little red buggy" (Ford Edge), I don't think she'll allow me to either touch her car again, nor grab a project truck. 🙄  (Hey, I've told ya all before, that I'm not all that good of a wrench.   Just because "you can", doesn't mean "you should". 😖)

On 2/21/2023 at 5:03 PM, dirtrider said:

I can't believe I read that.

4 hours ago, TEWKS said:

At one time in the not so distant past you could have bought that thing for $1,800.00 bucks. Early 80’s I’m talking, before the retro car craze took hold followed by the retro truck craze. JMO from a casual observer. :dontknow:

38000 original miles, not rolled over.

And I used to get a gallon of gas and a milky way for $1 before the sugar craze took hold :grin:

• Smile 1
10 hours ago, TEWKS said:

The nice thing is if you bought one of these 17 years ago it’s probably still worth about the same now..

image.jpeg.56b5826da9017519332487426c8c4866.jpeg

• Like 1

I'd ride it, it'll never be a great dirt bike but a GS isn't either, and it probably lost 50 lbs in the transformation. I've had four K75's, they have a perfectly linear powerband which is just fine for dirt roads and two track. It may be the best application for one of those : )

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
Lone_RT_rider
28 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

I'd ride it, it'll never be a great dirt bike but a GS isn't either, and it probably lost 50 lbs in the transformation. I've had four K75's, they have a perfectly linear powerband which is just fine for dirt roads and two track. It may be the best application for one of those : )

Of course you would Bill. If I would have said it was the best idea ever for off road, you would have given me 5 bulleted reasons why I was wrong. ;) 

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

The K75 is probably the worst BMW engine to choose for a GS application. 

3 hours ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

Of course you would Bill. If I would have said it was the best idea ever for off road, you would have given me 5 bulleted reasons why I was wrong. ;) 

Nah, just saying you're probably wrong in that instance and it might work better than you'd think, you’re right about them being smooth though : )

On 2/19/2023 at 7:20 PM, beemerboy said:

About 20 miles away from me...

https://cosprings.craigslist.org/mcy/d/colorado-springs-classic-1981-cbx-1000/7590927922.html

Classic 1981 Honda CBX 1000 6-cylinder motorcycle!
Excellent condition even though 41 years young!
Carbs recently redone and synched
New tires
New battery
Full luggage
Replacement exhaust, but have original
Polished valve covers and other covers

Still available. 

Must.

Resist. 

• Like 1