IGNORED

Craigslist find of the day

TEWKS

Lone_RT_rider
On 10/15/2022 at 12:15 AM, Hosstage said:

That is actually a pretty cool tool!

That's way too much fun. Great way to play with the rider triangle.  

image.thumb.png.745ba3986efc33b5923d3a7a0736fc9f.png

• Like 2
On 10/15/2022 at 12:15 AM, Hosstage said:

That is actually a pretty cool tool!

One useful feature that is not obvious is the ability to add at least two bikes and use the mouse scroll wheel to overlay them. Whether comparing two new bikes or a new bike to a bike I already have, it lets me see just how I will fit.  The distances and angles don't mean a lot to me, but actually seeing how much further I might have to reach or bend makes the differences clear.

image.png.a291bc2e798e198353a6d2a41e2f31b5.png

• Like 2

Ok, story time. :) 

I was about 12 years old and the coolest 16 y/o had this exact bike three streets over from me. He worked at the pig farm next to the old landfill (were I spent time collecting scrap metal) (other bike story). Anyway, it was kinda awkward trying to make friends with the older cool kid (just to see his bike). :classic_biggrin: I use to draw this Honda in school (when I should have been paying attention). :/ Funny how an object of youthful lust can bring back such vivid memories.
1975 XL 175

image.thumb.jpeg.dc3e4992318f2e958b8cf4a418ab93df.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

Heck Pat, that's an original owner, low mileage bike that you dreamed of when young.  To preserve such a memory you'll need to put this one in the stable!  :burnout:

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Very close in thinking that way Larry. Especially in all stock condition. :5146:

That bike ain't gonna bet there long, Pat.  Get 'er done.  You can regret it later ...

... and maybe sell it for more (if the wifey demands it). 🤣

• Like 1
On 10/19/2022 at 9:04 AM, TEWKS said:

Ok, story time. :) 

I was about 12 years old and the coolest 16 y/o had this exact bike three streets over from me. He worked at the pig farm next to the old landfill (were I spent time collecting scrap metal) (other bike story). Anyway, it was kinda awkward trying to make friends with the older cool kid (just to see his bike). :classic_biggrin: I use to draw this Honda in school (when I should have been paying attention). :/ Funny how an object of youthful lust can bring back such vivid memories.
1975 XL 175

image.thumb.jpeg.dc3e4992318f2e958b8cf4a418ab93df.jpeg

I'd speculate that 9 out of 10 forum members might have a similar narrative, and can attribute their adult motorcycling pursuits to a "cool older kid in the neighborhood that rode a bike when they were young", or something similar (maybe not exactly the pig farm, scrap yard tie-in).  That's pretty much my origin story.  Plant that seed and watch it grow.  Sorry Mom, I gotta ride.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

We had a Chopper shop in the neighborhood and always had bikes riding thru the streets, I didn't pay a lot of attention until one of the neighbor kids my age ride by on a minibike, the old school style with a rigid frame, paddle brake, and un-oiled chain singing as it spun. I was hooked.

1 hour ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

I'm ok with not finding one of those. :)

Following someone down the road less traveled is where it’s at. :cool: Although, my buddy Mitch has since moved on to new friends. :dontknow: :classic_biggrin:

image.thumb.jpeg.341720082fe6d5a049864660f6b06a00.jpeg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Following someone down the road less traveled is where it’s at. :cool: Although, my buddy Mitch has since moved on to new friends. :dontknow: :classic_biggrin:

Well, if you were leading that ride, I can kinda understand why.  😏😎

• Haha 3
48 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

It does look pretty nice in red! :cool:

That's Mars Red Metallic to you, sir.  :bike:

:yes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

That's Mars Red Metallic to you, sir.  :bike:

:yes:

I just knew it looked classy. Now I know why! ;)

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, MikeB60 said:

I don't blame them.  

All the money and engineering time, it all could have been put into getting the new GS/A right and ready for market sooner. :java: I still like it way better in Mars Red Metallic though!  $9K and I’m in! :yes: :classic_biggrin:

39 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

All the money and engineering time, it all could have been put into getting the new GS/A right and ready for market sooner. :java: I still like it way better in Mars Red Metallic though!  $9K and I’m in! :yes: :classic_biggrin:

Bless your heart!

• Haha 3
5 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Yeah,  but on that bike that color does not look right.  Stick with black and pin stripe. 

• Plus 1 1
2 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

Yeah,  but on that bike that color does not look right.  Stick with black and pin stripe. 

I tend to agree, something about the red just isn't working with me. For some reason it makes that head look comically large.

17 hours ago, Hosstage said:

For some reason it makes that head look comically large

They are comically large! :classic_biggrin:

I’d add pinstripes, bags, and a windscreen to mine if they ever dropped the price to nine grand. ;) Why do I say nine grand? Because I really don’t want one, and they’d never go that low. :spittake:

image.thumb.jpeg.d895d1f65b39f28c1c6fd44de6669816.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
12 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

they’d never go that low.

But we could take up a collection.....make up the difference so you have to cough up the 9k..:rofl:

• Haha 3
6 minutes ago, 9Mary7 said:

But we could take up a collection.....make up the difference so you have to cough up the 9k..:rofl:

That’d be very nice of you, but also, a little cruel! :java: :D

• Smile 1
  • Haha 1
On 11/8/2022 at 6:30 PM, Hosstage said:

I have to agree, all that money on this line and it is amazing how badly they botched it. Worse were the two hard bag models which were grossly overweight, fixed suspension geometry, small bags, no adjustable windscreen, and did I mention the weight? Worse the engine has a narrow range where its good before it can literally shake the bike apart.  Dealer near me recently sold a Transcontinental at 6k off plus I am suspecting incentives on top of that. BMW.  I was truly waiting on these bikes but when the motorcycle press savaged them I knew something was up; Cycle Word in particular did not even bother with follow up reviews. 

Still I think if you buy a base model or better yet the classic with softbags and throw a side car on it then it might be unique enough to own. Just realize once you buy it your effectively stuck with it

• Like 1

Does anyone else recall about 15-20 years ago when BMW boxers were in the 1100/1150 range and a top official in BMW gave a magazine interview addressing why BMW doesn’t make the boxer’s engine bigger? He said they couldn’t go any larger as the dimensions of the heads would get in the way of the rider’s seating position and legs, and the heads would stick out too far, even compromising the lean angle. 

BMW should have listened to that guy. 

Two completely different animals. The Ural rides slow, pulls one way on acceleration, the other on decel, right hand turns and sweepers can get exciting when the car starts to fly (ballast helps but adds weight, slowing it even more), but it is a ton of fun anyway and brings smiles to everyone that sees it. It is not an interstate cruiser. It is pretty comfortable, and very utilitarian, the two wheel drive is nice deep off road.

I've wanted one since the early 90s, but it would be a 3rd or 4th bike for me.

The Scrambler is just a motorcycle. A very capable motorcycle, but just a motorcycle...

Dennis, are you planning on doing off-road riding? Are you planning on getting a dog?

Ditto what Hostage says about the ride.   

When tooling around on the brother's Ural, I never felt I was riding a moto. 

The desert sled would be a blast though you have the RS. :dontknow:

Dennis Andress
10 minutes ago, LBump said:

Dennis, are you planning on doing off-road riding? Are you planning on getting a dog?

Ditto what Hostage says about the ride.   

When tooling around on the brother's Ural, I never felt I was riding a moto. 

The desert sled would be a blast though you have the RS. :dontknow:

I'd go for the MV Agusta Brutale I posted a couple of days ago ^^.   But, right now I really need to sell the K13S...  

image.thumb.jpeg.60fad26efe0e3cd39fd5b49972fe63e8.jpeg

5 minutes ago, szurszewski said:

Ooooh - that's a tempting "see how far you can go before it blows up" bike... 

Runs great except for those rods knocking, water in the oil, valves clacking, oil pump making a slight noise, and I'm really digging those extra-long clutch and front brake cables just in case you might need to cut off the ends some day and still have plenty of length.  I just wonder what the rest of the maintenance was like...not really.

1 hour ago, Skywagon said:

Runs great except for those rods knocking, water in the oil, valves clacking, oil pump making a slight noise, and I'm really digging those extra-long clutch and front brake cables just in case you might need to cut off the ends some day and still have plenty of length.  I just wonder what the rest of the maintenance was like...not really.

I think we can make an assumption on the maintenance history by the remark: “accidentally ran the engine without oil” 

Seriously, how do you do that? No pre-ride checks?

It never used oil before (as far as I know), why should I check it every so often? I mean sure, it sounded funny, but it was running fine. And the light came on, but still, it was running fine, figured I'd just get it home and deal with it then. It was only 8 miles.

I actually participated in a junker car no oil no coolant race, most laps wins.

I made it 14 laps on a 1/4 mile banked paved oval. ('77 Ford Thunderbird, 351 M motor.) The winner went almost 30 laps. Slick 50 was a popular oil treatment back then, if you remember those commercials. I think everybody in the race used some form of it to treat the engine pre-race.

Maybe this guy could have benefitted from it.

• Like 1

My ex-wife ignored the temperature gauge, and I don't remember what other anomalies she reported. I got to rebuild a Datsun 1200 engine. Good experience. It went like stink when I was done with headers, Weber carb and sundry other bits I don't remember. Turned a pig into a ... much nicer pig.