IGNORED

Craigslist find of the day

TEWKS

7 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Oh man….. :classic_love: 

edit

Oh man, never mind. :ohboy::read: :( Seriously, I’m afraid to look.

Lol, I just stuffed $750 into my 500 gal underground propane tank (i.e. 320 gal for a 80% fill).   I fill it once a year on average, using only about 3% a month for dryer, cooking, water heater, and 15% a month for the 30K BTU fireplace, when temps drop below 30F.  Last year, we added a spot 200 gal fill up, due to the colder weather (and us being older, and wanting a warmer house).

Anyhow, it used to run me $350 to $450 a tank.  No more, probably never again.   (Thanks, Joe!!)

Hang in there, Pat.  Do firefighters get O.T. pay?  😏 

7 minutes ago, Scott9999 said:

Hang in there, Pat.  Do firefighters get O.T. pay

Actually got a shift tonight! :thumbsup: Won’t cover the oil bill but oh well, I realize things could be worse.

• Plus 1 1

Tewks and others....educate me.  Having never lived in the North I have no clue what it cost to use fuel oil. I read Scott's post on butane. Here is what I typically see in Texas using electricity and natural gas.

First...my house is about 5000 sq ft.  We have 3 - air conditioners.  Two are 4 ton and one is 5 ton.  Summer bills in the heat of summer will run between $200 and a high of about $250.  Natural gas bill is about $70 a month.  Our gas if two hot water heaters, ovens, stove, and fireplace which doesn't get used.  

In the winter our electricity bill will drop to about $100.  Gas bill will rise to about $125.  

My house is pretty new and is well insulated.  I have friends will smaller older homes whose electric bill might run as much as $400/month during summer.  Gas about the same.  Natural gas is cheap here.  Electricity is so so.

P.S.  How often do you have to refuel.

• Like 1

I don’t have the exact numbers right now but the oil bill was a little over a thousand dollars today. In a different time it was half that. December through March it’s about every five weeks. This fill should get me to November. My furnace heats the domestic water.

My numbers have been changing, partly because (I'm pretty sure, but haven't verified) electricity rates have been climbing. I also have a newer home, pretty well insulated (e.g. R60 in the attic, R21 walls, foam sealed in all cracks that might permit airflow).  It doesn't immediately get hot or cold easily, but a few days of warm weather or a few days of cold, with the utilities off, and it gets hot or cold.   I can keep it pretty near 55F in winter with very little auxiliary heat, and at about 75F most of the summer, without the heat pump helping out.

I have a 4 ton air handler/electric furnace (tuned back to about 3.5 ton), for a 2600 sq ft house, with an external heat pump (split system) that locks out (i.e. stops working, because there would be little additional value of running the heat pump) at about 30F.  I have a 30,000 BTU propane fireplace that we use(d) when propane was cheap ($1.25 to $1.65), probably a whole lot less this year.  As I've mentioned, the tankless propane hot water heater, dryer, gas stove and oven, use about 3% (i.e. 15 gallons) a month.  My last fill-up last week, was $2.40 a gallon, so that's $36 a month.  The fireplace when running most of the time during the coldest parts of winter (Dec-Jan, or Dec-March in a cold winter, maybe 12 hours + a day), chews through 15% a month, i.e. 75 gallons, which at today's prices, would be $188 a month (i.e. $144 extra).   When propane was $1.25, that represented a $75 increase, so we won't be using propane to heat much this winter, unless we lose power.   Electric heat alone (no heat pump or fireplace) ran $330 a month in winter, before we had our heat pump properly working.   To make a short story long (don't I always), in 2017-2021, we had our electrical power bill down to $55 a month in the summer, ALL summer, running the heat pump to cool, or not, and maxed out at $150 a month or a month or two in the winter.   So, propane was $20 and power $55 a month, most of the year.   This year, we've decided to heck with it, we can afford to heat and cool the house, and when I moved my wife from California to N. Idaho, I promised her we would NOT be cold or hot, i.e. we'd insulate the house we would build, and heat it.   So, our electric bill is running $75 a month, pretty much keeping indoor temps between 73F and 75F, depending on how active we are.  Last winter was cold, so we just spent $$$ on a mid-winter propane fill (i.e. prices can be double in winter, what they are in summer - if I'd known that, I'd have put in a 1000 gallon tank, instead of 500), heated the house to a balmy 64F to 66F, and played "lifestyles of the rich and famous" in our house.  (Of course, post Biden, we're going to lose weight, shiver in winter, and sweat in summer, while paying double the prices, but I digress ....). 

Our water is about $40 flat rate, almost unlimited (i.e. we've never come near the point where they would charge us anything extra), so compared to dryer states like Texas, we're getting a pretty good bonus there.

Compared to what we paid in (Southern) Kalifornia, prices still seem dirt cheap here.  There are no escalator levels (i.e. Level 1, $0.13 per KWH if you turn on a lightbulb, $0.20 for level 2 if you add a refrigerator, then level 3, 4, 5, whatever, I can't recall all of 'em).   I'm pretty sure, if I recall correctly, our power (natural gas and electricity) ran something like $200 a month, and we didn't have air conditioning.  Our water was $200 a month as well (almost all drip lines, very water efficient throughout the house), and I think we paid some ungodly fee for trash and sewage.  But then again, for a lot of those periods, I had teenagers in the house, and you can pretty much toss any "energy or water budget" out the door, when you have a couple of those critters feedin' at the family trough. 😏

• Plus 1 1

Thanks..escalators.  When we lived in Ca we lived in the hills. I used to get mad every month when I opened the water bill. There was an up hill charge that was more than the cost of water. Our electric bill was more than it is here and we didn’t even have air conditioning. Just the two of us and we were both at work all day. Still a beautiful state but expensive. Ok. Back to motorcycles. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, szurszewski said:

Are they also selling a motorcycle? 

I think so. Like I said, I haven't figured it out yet.

He really doesn't sell me on the bike, what with the lost key, pitted chrome, and a lien on the title of a 50 year old bike.

But other than that, clear as mud.

• Haha 1

Oh, and it hasn't run in 10 years. So it's got that going for it.

Took me a while to figure all that out after reading it 3 times. I did figure out right away that the guy is an F'ing mess.

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, Skywagon said:

On that 83 model looks like the odometer might have been adjusted. Numbers are a little crooked

It's possible, but it wouldn't be abnormal either, those things barely work right when new.

Yeah, kind of confusing since they are saying "still in the factory crate", which would lead one to concluded that it was never used, and is factory fresh.  That would be technically called a "lie", since later explanation and the odometer indicates that it was used quite a bit, and in fact, they haven't a freakin' clue about the usage or condition of the bike.

But hey, you'll get a cool "factory crate" with it.  🙄  (So typically NYC.)   It does look fresh, but I doubt it's a brand, spankin' new 1995 GS.

Edit:  reading in the comments, I guess someone's bidding $42K for it.

Edit#2:  It'd be cool, bringing it into the service department for it's initial and then 600 mile service.  🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
9 hours ago, szurszewski said:

Can someone explain the odometer to me?

Here's one theory (WAG).. the forklift operator(s) or truckers moving it from one location to another were a little too herky jerky with it and the plastic (and somewhat fragile) gears inside the odometer got shaken backwards, the first 3 digits went back to 9, the 4th to 8 and 5th settled all the way back to 5. So either someone could take it apart and realign the zeros or assemble the bike and ride it 15 kilometers but then it wouldn't be 'in the crate' anymore. No experience with the internals of an airhead speedometer or drive mechanism but I'm sure there are airhead gurus that can explain how it works. I have seen quite a few Mercedes odometers from the same era break when zeroing the trip meter, the plastic gears get brittle over time and often stop working when the trip button gets hit (usually too hard).

Edit to add, went back and watched the video that had a lot of closeup, not only is it obvious the bike is still as new but the tie down straps are def originals from Germany, used to get them from my dealer as they are quite useful and very strong.

A local buddy sold an airhead PD for a friend on BaT last year that had been assembled when new but supposedly never started or ridden, it had about 5 miles on it from pushing it around the garage and storage places for 30 years. 

99C4677B-45E2-4215-9DD2-915593761469.thumb.jpeg.bcbcc5e304f0ea647c21421ba5a1e3c0.jpeg

238270F3-A779-48D7-90BE-2F27412FADF8.thumb.jpeg.6f8315bcb7aaa764ab4867d358df51d4.jpeg

• Like 2

Comments from the seller and others on BaT claim that BMW shipped their bikes with the odometer reading 99985 km so that the dealers could ride the bikes as part of setup and still put them on the showroom floor with zeros on the odometer. I've never heard of that before.

Never heard that either, but also didn’t read that far into the comments, sounds plausible though. I know the newer stuff came with a few break in miles when techs rode them after setup but they always started out at zero. I’ll ask my buddy that had the 5 mile one, he’s pretty well versed in all things airhead and would likely know.

6 hours ago, lkraus said:

I've never heard of that before

That makes sense as we (when I worked for a BMW dealer) were required to put 2 to 3 miles on them during PDI, and we all know how picky BMW buyers are (about getting a new bike with zero miles)  so sending them out with a 5k cushion to "zero" allows for the PDI miles.

But I'm SWAG'n it so someone who knows for sure can chime in.

On 8/24/2022 at 7:25 PM, TEWKS said:

Saw this on ADVR. I almost bought a lightly used one years back. Seemed over priced then, not so much now. 1995 R 100 GSPD

Reminds me of the Jeep in a Crate Myth  Ohhhhh, to find a MB in absolute mint condition, uh, uh, uh,.....

I believe at one time, a publisher actually put out a "reward" for anyone that could find a Jeep in a Crate 'cause "rumah had it" that the goobermint had some stashed in a warehouse somewhere,......my belief is that warehouse is shaped like a ship and sitting at the bottom of the Atlantic and Pacific.

• Like 2

The mileage conundrum on the GSPD is still being haggled over in the comments section. Bob Henning (of Bob's BMW) had been commenting previously so I was hoping he'd chime in on the odometer bit, he did yesterday. He's likely one of very few dealers still in business that were around when airheads were being delivered. 

My belief is the speedometer is a factory defect which should have been caught on the assembly line or at least during final inspection. In the thousands and thousands of bikes my shop has sold new plus the thoughts and confirmation of a half dozen other dealers I’ve spoken with about this, none of us have seen one that had anything but a few miles showing on the odometer and tripmeter. The readings should match each other within 1/10th of a mile or kilometer.

Another guy that worked with BMW cars Canada commented too, which the seller gladly agreed with somewhat bolstering his claim.

Having worked for BMW auto sales for over 30 years I can say that the speedo issue was also common on the odd car arriving to the dealership……..not a big deal at all. Our mechanics once completing the PDI had to do a long enough test drive and check off certain tests before signing off on the PDI form and that consisted of 10-15 miles of driving and was mandatory for warranty.

In addition to the '91 PD I mentioned above the owner has 2 other 'new' airheads my buddy is preparing for BaT, a 91 R100R and 91 R100RS. According to the owner neither have ever been started and show 2 or 3 miles each from being pushed around from various locations, i.e. all three were delivered with zero miles on the odo in 1991.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, roadscholar said:

In addition to the '91 PD I mentioned above the owner has 2 other 'new' airheads my buddy is preparing for BaT, a 91 R100R and 91 R100RS. According to the owner neither have ever been started and show 2 or 3 miles each from being pushed around from various locations, i.e. all three were delivered with zero miles on the odo in 1991.

Ya know, someone buying a bike and NEVER EVEN STARTING it, has got to be either some kind of dedicated, BMW loving collector.  Or, maybe just batsh*t crazy.  Heck, it'd be like one of us taking out a big fat loan to "desperately" buy a low mileage used, 2018 BMW R1200RT, say, around November in a four season climate, then riding it maybe three times the entire next season.  I mean, who the hell is that stupid?  

Oh ... um... nevermind. :jaw::4607::4617:

Yeah, I DEFINITELY can see how that guy ended up with no-mileage 30 year old bikes in his garage.   🙄😖🤦‍♂️

I have a big stack of MOA magazines I’ve been trying to “catch up on” and then recycle - several years - so I don’t know when this article was published, but it was about a guy who had a zero mile r9t on display in his living room. He’d purchased it as investment - be interesting to do a follow up in 20 years and see how that’s working out. 

In 2003, almost 300,000 people bought 100 year anniversary Harleys as an investment, I think the most bikes ever sold in one model year. I'm sure there are a few that have 0 miles on them, and the owners think they have a gold mine on their hands. Probably not so much.

9 hours ago, Scott9999 said:

Ya know, someone buying a bike and NEVER EVEN STARTING it, has got to be either some kind of dedicated, BMW loving collector.  Or, maybe just batsh*t crazy.  Heck, it'd be like one of us taking out a big fat loan to "desperately" buy a low mileage used, 2018 BMW R1200RT, say, around November in a four season climate, then riding it maybe three times the entire next season.  I mean, who the hell is that stupid?  

Oh ... um... nevermind. :jaw::4607::4617:

Yeah, I DEFINITELY can see how that guy ended up with no-mileage 30 year old bikes in his garage.   🙄😖🤦‍♂️

Let me see,...I've never test ridden a single bike that I've bought and only test drove a select few cages.  Of the last four bikes, only one was started prior to me purchasing (the 2006rt), the rest were just bought and taken home, two by trailer.  The shadow was bought and I rode it home, cranked first time upon departure.  The HP4, I sat on it for the first time in my driveway when I got it off the trailer.  The RT was ridden home by a neighbor of mine since I didn't have an endorsement and I sat on that bike for the first time when it got in my driveway.

In 2002, my wife's super duty was delivered to us without us even seeing the thing prior to purchase, paperwork was done on the hood in the driveway.  In 2000, the new Jeep was ordered, we drove to the dealership, did paperwork and left (at dealership all of 30 minutes, plastic was still on the seats of the jeep when we left).  Wife did test rides of her current 2018 GMC and previous 2018 Ram, as well as test rides in F150, Tundra----her concern was noise levels, same with the Subaru that we have. 

I'm stoopid and crazy that way:18:

• Smile 1
9 hours ago, TEWKS said:

I’d say maybe a deal if you can’t find one at the dealerships.  I haven’t been shopping lately but everything cool seems to be in short supply these days.

image.jpeg.a4a78923b77550c31715080d61568a0c.jpeg

I want.  (I'm so damn greedy. 😔)  

I can hear my wife now, "What's wrong with the one you have in the garage, that you don't ride anyway?"  

She just doesn't get it.  This ain't about logic or garage space, or winter coming soon, or certainly not common sense. 

• Like 1

IDK. Probably just time to move on for most people after that long. I don’t think there were any fatal flaws with the 2012 model year. Mine did have the squeaky front suspension that after one attempted dealer fix/fail I bailed on it. I do miss that motor, a pretty darn awesome thing it was! :revit:

1 hour ago, Hosstage said:

Why so many 2012 K1600s for sale? Almost every one I see is a 2012, now 13 years old. 

Perhaps they all read the “dealers won’t work on bikes older than ten years” thread here and panicked. 

• Like 1
  • Smile 2
21 minutes ago, szurszewski said:

Perhaps they all read the “dealers won’t work on bikes older than ten years” thread here and panicked. 

And nice math on my part. 11 years old, not 13.

Them maths things is hard.

On 9/1/2022 at 11:29 AM, lawnchairboy said:

quite a deal I think.

The versions without radios and speakers sell at big discount which this is an example of

On 9/1/2022 at 10:03 AM, TEWKS said:

I don’t think there were any fatal flaws with the 2012 model year. :revit:

The 2011 and 2012 definitely had / have a fatal flaw, cracked piston ring lands.  BMW changed piston manufacturing mid model year in 2012 and replaced a bunch of engines under warranty.  No way  I would fool with either model year especially with low miles.  

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

That's a funny ad - I like where he says: "Selling my bike as I never get to ride anymore."

Dude - you NEVER got to ride that bike at all - not just "anymore"!

If you buy it, you gotta see if you can get the Kubota there as a package deal so you can make a little adventure course for yourself!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He’ll probably have to be to sell a dirty RT closing in on 100k that’s been sitting for a year with him and who knows long before that…and at the tail end of the riding season. 

Might be a good deal, but…