IGNORED

Craigslist find of the day

TEWKS

7 hours ago, 9Mary7 said:

Non Moto guy and he bought an 1150 w/ 70+k on it.........yikes!

Come on, now.  Don't be so biased.  Ya gotta start somewhere.🤣🤣🤣

My 16 year old son started with an R1, but it was slow to him, so he picked up a GSXR 1000.  Rebuilt 'em from totaled/scrape bikes, sold 'em, and then got his dream bike, a Ducati, at about age 19.   🙄

It's simple.  Either they learn to ride quickly, or they die.  The Marines who totaled those year old bikes he bought from a scrap yard, well, let's not talk about those poor souls.

(Hey, you've watched me ride.  You know that I'm an authority on (re)-learning to ride, and ... um ... falling.) 🙃😁

Black is very important as I’ve made clear several dozen times now, I guess! :D

I’m waiting out that 2013 (black) in my backyard (hoping he sells it before I get up the nerve to call). :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Lowndes said:

And short fires, from the looks of those ladders.

Yeah the crew, didn’t like heights, they did the best they could. :dontknow: :classic_biggrin:

image.gif.512b3a208f196bd01e171325389b93d9.gif

• Haha 4

Not motorcycles but a basketball hoop. My daughter Kiley decided to try out for basketball this fall. Never played (we’ve been practicing) BIDKSAI) or “buI don’t know shit about it” :classic_biggrin: :dontknow: So I find a used hoop on Craigslist and send him a message. I get a yes still available. :yes:When can you come he asks? This was Saturday night BTW. I said right now or Monday morning cuz I had to work yesterday (Sunday). He said fine let’s do Monday. Again, :yes: I’m gonna be a hero for cheap money, oh yeah! :dance:

I get an email in the middle of the day yesterday, “ I just want to let you know I sold the hoop” WTF was my first reaction but then I just deleted the email. IDK, if I make a deal I stick with it to the end. Some people just, well you know! :/ Just venting, thanks for listening. :)

• Like 1

Ah yes, the old Craigslist is it still available I'll take it I'll hold it for you no show first come first served sales dance.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

on my way with the word go

So I called a C/L ad for a car a few years ago. I was ready to go cash in hand. Owner says ,"I told a lady I'd hold it for her till Monday" (this was on a Friday). I say, "she leave a deposit, 'cause I'm bringing cash and if it's what you say it is you'll sell it today."

He replies that I can come see it Monday if it doesn't sell...........

Sunday another car pops up 2 hrs closer to me that is my second choice for a vehicle, so I buy it.

You guessed it, the C/L seller calls me Monday and I get to tell him, "This is why you don't hold an item for a C/L buyer, I bought a car."

Sorry you missed out Tewks, typical FlakesList transaction, nobody upholds their word.

As you can probably tell it still annoys me. I wanted that 'Benz..........:java:

• Like 3
2 hours ago, 9Mary7 said:

nobody upholds their word.

Except the guy in your story who said he’d hold the car for that lady, and it didn’t do him any good. 

I try to hold items for the first responder, and tell subsequent buyers they are next if it falls thru, and I respond back to each one immediately to let them know if sold, it only seems the polite and proper way to do business. Only had one real sale go sideways, a story for another time.

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
7 hours ago, TEWKS said:

My daughter Kiley decided to try out for basketball this fall. Never played (we’ve been practicing) BIDKSAI) or “buI don’t know shit about it” :classic_biggrin: :dontknow: 

Off topic, but brings back some memories.  I played mostly Tennis through college.  (Baseball and Tennis were during the same seasons, so my early choice in High School went to Tennis, and ... well, there seem to be lots more hot girls watching the tennis players than the baseball studs, which of course, was ALL that mattered back in 9th grade.  But, I digress ...  😁)

Anyhow, when the kids turned five and six, it was time for T-ball (cause what all-American father would deny his kids the chance to fall in love with America's past time, and besides, a little recurrent failure builds character!).   I help out a bit, but I'm out of my element, i.e. I just don't want to stick a couple of the other dad's with all the work.   My daughter will play ONLY baseball, mostly cause her older brother plays it.   About age 7, we enroll my daughter and son on separate levels, due to age, and my son starts practicing, while my wife never hears back about the daughter.  My daughter starts pestering me every day about when does her team start practicing?  Well, it's getting close to the start of the season, so reluctantly, I make some calls.  The league President calls back and tells me that he's sorry, that although there were kids to form a team, no one had stepped forward to manage it.  He asked if I could do it.  I told him, well, I can hold a clipboard, but unless he wanted the kids to hit baseballs like a Tennis pro, my baseball coaching skills were pretty lacking (I'd played some softball, and that was about it).   He said, "Ok, you're hired! We got no one, but some dad's will "probably" help out."   I show up on day one, and sure enough, 3 other guys step forward saying that they'd help out, they had experience (i.e. one was a prior pro minor leaguer), but that they couldn't accept responsibility for all the admin stuff.   Well, admin was my middle name, so ... off we went.   Eight years later, through both summer and winter ball seasons, by reading everything ever written by a baseball player or college coach, I learned the sport from the ground up, and got pretty good at coaching everything from hitting to advanced fielding, throwing, and pitching.  And, boy did I make a lot of mistakes along the way.  (And boy, did parents let me know about it.)  I kept coaching until the kids hit high school ball, thought about tossing my hat in at their private high school, but decided that with the kids playing on the team, I had to step back, i.e. I just couldn't be seen as a biased dad with my kids playing on a high school team.

So, anyhow, Pat, you can learn a lot by reading.  Yeah, the guys who have actually DONE it will laugh a bit at you (no, actually, they'll laugh at you a lot).  However, what I discovered was that at least in baseball, the "old hats that knew their stuff" were the most reluctant to learn anything new.  My teams were probably the first youth sport teams to introduce pitch counts, not only in game, but weekly, including warm up tosses.   (During that period, youth baseball limited a player to the number of innings he or she could pitch in a week, and a young kid on a team with leaky defense, could end up throwing 100 pitches over a couple of innings, i.e. it didn't really protect the kids arms.) Parents screamed at me claiming that I was cheating their kids, not allowing them to fully develop their baseball strengths.  Actually, I was protecting their kids against injury.  My teams had a policy, i.e. no sliders or curve balls;  Develop and place your fastball, 4-seam, 2-seam, etc., and a good change up.  Until age 15 or 16, breaking stuff was off-limits.  Again, not popular.  Something called "rotational hitting" was just scratching the surface, but gee, I discovered that developing the torque to hit a tennis ball 120 MPH, to PITCH a baseball 80+ MPH, and HIT a baseball 100+ MPH, all involved the same natural body functions, and those methods ran counter to some of the best hitting advice of that era.   I introduced the best drills that top college coaches used.  I discovered that through study, hard work, and coaching practice, almost ANY kid could be taught to play baseball, and play it well, until about high school, when raw talent overtakes sound fundamentals alone, in terms of baseball excellence.   

So, don't lose heart.  Go do the hard stuff in behalf of your daughter, and you'd be surprised how much an amateur "dad coach" can contribute.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, 9Mary7 said:

First one with the money gets whatever it is...... that'll be the most serious respondent. YMMV

But again, it's Flake-O-Minute Craigslist.org.

They'll call, eager to buy, show up, and offer you have your asking price, "... but it's cash!!".  🙄

It's even worse for me, living out where I do.   I have a bunch of under-$50 stuff I could sell, but no one's drive a half hour plus out to get what I have.   I usually offer to drive to the highway to meet them, saving them 10 minutes (and the time getting lost on the way to my house).  If it's a high enough value item, I'll occasionally offer to meet them in one of the two towns nearby (i.e. while I'm on the trip for other purposes).   As soon as they ask "Will you be willing to take ...",  I respond "No sale", and close up my trunk and drive way,   Even when they call after me "Ok, ok, I'll pay your price...", I keep on driving.   Principle means more to me than a couple of bucks (but ...um... it doesn't mean that I can't be bought, just need the RIGHT price  ... just kidding 🤣🤣🤣).

Craigslist is the flakiest place to do business.  Put something up for sale, and you can just about guarantee to get a flakey "buyer" or two.  It's worse near ..uh... certain kinds of cities.   When I see their phone number I say to myself "90% likely a flake", or "hmmm, this may be a sale...", based upon the city area code.  

I’ve actually had pretty good luck selling on Craigslist. Sold a quad and a couple dirt bikes last year. I did have the few obvious scammers message me but they were easy to spot and I just ignored them. My little rant earlier was the first “unethical” IMO person I’ve come across. :dontknow: 

Now back to selling bikes. :classic_biggrin: Sometimes I wish I wasn’t BMW spoiled. :classic_ohmy:

One thousand nine hundred bucks!  :yes:

image.thumb.jpeg.e1e2884d8a91b2f6b0e677f4805a4ea5.jpeg

6 hours ago, 9Mary7 said:

That ST is a lot of bike for the money!! Good find:18:

(I think Alan may be considering a road trip to the Boston area, in the near future, with his pick-up truck.  🤣🤣🤣)

• Smile 1
Lone_RT_rider

Pat, I have never understood why handlebar designers don't understand that the optimal angle of a bar is directly related to how you rest you hands on a tabletop. 

• Like 1

Handlebars made for racing are diferrent than handlebars made for daily riding. It seems the handlebars on that GS were designed to go racing, tough to ride on a regular basis on the street.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
On 10/6/2022 at 5:19 AM, Lone_RT_rider said:

Pat, I have never understood why handlebar designers don't understand that the optimal angle of a bar is directly related to how you rest you hands on a tabletop. 

like the ape hanger craze? It's like whatever is not optimal, let's do. 

12 hours ago, Ponch said:

like the ape hanger craze? It's like whatever is not optimal, let's do. 

Hey, I look cool riding with ape hangers!

On 10/3/2022 at 7:49 AM, TEWKS said:

Not motorcycles but a basketball hoop. My daughter Kiley decided to try out for basketball this fall. Never played (we’ve been practicing) BIDKSAI) or “buI don’t know shit about it” :classic_biggrin: :dontknow: So I find a used hoop on Craigslist and send him a message. I get a yes still available. :yes:When can you come he asks? This was Saturday night BTW. I said right now or Monday morning cuz I had to work yesterday (Sunday). He said fine let’s do Monday. Again, :yes: I’m gonna be a hero for cheap money, oh yeah! :dance:

I get an email in the middle of the day yesterday, “ I just want to let you know I sold the hoop” WTF was my first reaction but then I just deleted the email. IDK, if I make a deal I stick with it to the end. Some people just, well you know! :/ Just venting, thanks for listening. :)

Sorry. I know you’re venting but It’s first come with money gets it. Same as selling a motorcycle. He wasn’t holding it for you, you weren’t able to come until Monday and someone was able to come on Sunday.
I just went through this selling my Honda. After a couple of calls from people who said they were serious and they’d buy it, they didn’t show. Then two others separately showed up who were both physically unable to lift their leg over the seat and had no business looking at a motorcycle. So then one guy calls and says he wants to come two days in the future. I said to him like I said to everyone that I’m available from 2 PM on. He chose 6PM. At noon that day I get a call that someone wants to see it. I said I’m here from 2 PM. He showed up at 2 and bought it at full asking price in 10 minutes. I called the 6 PM guy and told him it’s sold. He takes an attitude and texts me a couple nasty texts. I ALWAYS told everyone don’t ask me to hold it without a deposit and I can show it to anyone at any time. 

Yeah I understand the money talks thing but, when I made contact and brought up a meet time, I said I could come now or Monday. He said Monday. I guess he could have been busy “now” but I kinda took that as a handshake. No matter, I found one for fifty bucks cheaper, as in free. :yes:

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, fourteenfour said:

Really wish they did one of these on the R9T platform...  a full fairing with minimal electronics 

With enough time and or money you could put THAT fairing on a R9T…

The R100RT I had came with a Parabellum windshield, it was the stillest pocket of air of any bike I’ve ever ridden including a 1200, 1500, 1800 Goldwing, and K1200LT..

Ive posted it before, but here is my former 79 r100rt Look familiar to the 95 on craigslist? It was a heck of a good bike.  It's biggest tech item was the horn...oh and I had a headlight modulator.  The choke was on the side, not the handlebars.  I could ride that bike all day and never get tired.  I forgot what it weighed but a whole lot less than my wethead.

r100rt.jpg

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Ive posted it before, but here is my former 79 r100rt Look familiar to the 95 on craigslist? It was a heck of a good bike.  It's biggest tech item was the horn...oh and I had a headlight modulator.  The choke was on the side, not the handlebars.  I could ride that bike all day and never get tired.  I forgot what it weighed but a whole lot less than my wethead.

Yeah, today's R1250RT is 615 ready to ride and that 79 is 515 (dry) but you also end up with a thirty two inch seat height which is quite tall for a lot of riders.

• Like 1
Lone_RT_rider
On 10/13/2022 at 9:15 AM, fourteenfour said:

Yeah, today's R1250RT is 615 ready to ride and that 79 is 515 (dry) but you also end up with a thirty two inch seat height which is quite tall for a lot of riders.

I actually miss the taller seat height of my old RT (99 R1100RT).  Even with my Russell day long, the R1250RT feels a bit short.

Seat height is a major factor. I am hacking my DRZ400S from 37 inches down to somewhere around a reasonable 32... coming soon.

But there is more to bike ergonomics.  My legs are longer than average; my knees feel every bit of my 73 years. Thus I no longer want the crouched position, but I also don't want a tall saddle. 

I think this tool is cool: https://cycle-ergo.com/

• Like 3