IGNORED

Craigslist find of the day

TEWKS

41 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

https://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/mcy/d/cana-1996-bmw-r1100gs-34k-miles/7574509133.html

1996 BMW R1100gs w/34k miles - $5,400 (Cana, Virginia)

00e0e_b0celYzitHbz_0CI0sV_1200x900.jpg

Maybe I'm missing something, but I'd much rather pay a little more for a Hexhead or Camhead GS, because (IMHO) the handling and performance is so much better than the 1100/1150 classes.  Plus, how tough is it to find parts for a 25 year old BMW?

2 hours ago, beemerboy said:

Who buys a '23 GS then completely farkles it out only to put it up for sale after 149 miles? 

2023 Loaded GS

A man that bought it without clearing it with the wife first.

• Haha 2
22 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

A man that bought it without clearing it with the wife first.

First hand experience? :stir:

• Smile 1

Someone with unexpected financial or medical problems.  

Since the title is "in hand" and the garage is "climate controlled", my vote would be a medical issue. 

Of course, that could be the result of not getting spousal permission.

:4607:

• Haha 4
6 hours ago, beemerboy said:

Who buys a '23 GS then completely farkles it out only to put it up for sale after 149 miles? 

2023 Loaded GS

Well, to be honest ....

I bought a "new to me" 2018 RT last winter with less than 12K miles on it, have put probably $2000 in "farkles" (including those still in boxes on  my workbench, waiting for some love), and/or safety gear, and I've probably put 250 miles on the bike. 😖😖😖🤦‍♂️🙈   I'm a "relatively young" guy in my late 60's, but am having enough health issues (i.e. numbness in my fingers when I ride, a bum left ankle, back and other issues) that I'm not entirely certain that I'll be able to ride the thing, and do some retirement touring as I'd hoped.   

I haven't given up yet, and never really got going last year, but come spring, I'm gonna give it the old college try to see if I can mitigate the problems.  However, in the end, I may just have to part with the bike and give up riding altogether.  Life can be like that, which may be the reason the subject new GS is up for sale.

(Or, it maybe my Nigerian sixth cousin, just playing the market again, lookin' for fools.  😏🙄)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, beemerboy said:

First hand experience? :stir:

Luckily, no. I'm smart enough to clear it with her, and she actually bought the last one for me.

She's a keeper!

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
RandyShields
1 minute ago, TEWKS said:

It’s neat when you see time stand still through motorcycles. 

And cars -- looks like the outline of a Triumph TR6 under the plastic on the right.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, RandyShields said:

And cars -- looks like the outline of a Triumph TR6 under the plastic on the right

I wanted one of those too! :5146: :4323:

33 minutes ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

I've been quietly surfing R1150GS's ..... lol

Yeah, I was looking a while back also, I let a few slip past that I should of snagged. I’m still half in the mindset of thinning the herd. Maybe that had something to do with not moving faster. :dontknow:  Hey, I happen to know a guy that loves to surf the internet looking for motorcycles. ;)

• Haha 2

No way, my garages are used as such,....they kinda stay in a messy'ish state,.....and no Christmas tree in my garages

00l0l_etF0qFuTNB4_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

54 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

No way, my garages are used as such,....they kinda stay in a messy'ish state,.....and no Christmas tree in my garages

00l0l_etF0qFuTNB4_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

I actually do have a Christmas tree in my garage, 10 months out of the year. Though it's covered with a bag and waiting to be moved into the house right after Thanksgiving. Should be moving back to the garage soon.

• Smile 1
Lone_RT_rider
2 hours ago, Lowndes said:

Looks like a rat trap clutch on that old 45.  You'll need a very strong left hand grip.

Lowndes, it looks like the UL was a 74 ci, but I sure the clutch still sucked. lol :) 

image.png.20cd8166b69e3111217b83c34e5d836a.png

image.png.f3839a63902b967790257a7eae99c650.png

Edited by Lone_RT_rider
Autocorrect thinks that an HD UL is actually a UPS.
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Lowndes said:

Looks like a rat trap clutch on that old 45.  You'll need a very strong lefthand grip.

It actually looks like a foot clutch, tank shifter, the left hand lever is the brake, no right hand lever. 

As far as mousetrap hand clutches being tough, if set up and lubed properly, they are not bad at all. I had a friend with one, he struggled with it for years, one day I lubed it up for him and he could not believe how nice it was. He was pretty upset with himself that that's all it needed for all those years.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

Hosstage - I think you are right.  Didn't notice the tank shifter, AKA  "suicide shift".  

Back in the 60's I built a early '50's HD "custom" from a basket case.  It was mostly there with a bunch of extras and misc parts and some completely missing.  Had a rat trap I thought was cool...for the first few miles.  It had to be adjusted just so and lubed well as you said but was still "a handfull".  Big initial pull, then an over center and lighter hold, kinda like an old compound bow.  

• Like 1

If it’s not running it’ll need a fuel pump, filter, and sending unit minimum. The good thing is 85’s and I think 86’s had different cams and bigger valves than later ones. It’s fast, 153 in a tuck clocked with a Honda speedometer : )

edit, I would check the year, 85's had silver wheels and valve cover, and a stainless muffler,  

C37CF3B1-A4F4-41CA-ACB7-0F83E68ED575.thumb.jpeg.88c10139bd50d54255476572b29e1e97.jpeg

• Like 1

Great long distance bike, really comfortable (way more than Goldwing to me) and pretty bulletproof. Rode one nonstop from Ontario to Jax once (I400 mi), probably wouldn't have tried it on anything else.

• Like 1

Pat...that bike looks to be repainted.  I dont remember that color scheme...I could be wrong.  The San Jose front fork brace has been chromed, the sidestand is not original and has been chromed, and that fairing is something else. Those are the wrong stickers on the side panels.  They weren't stickers, they were painted on.  Probably still a very good bike but at least $2500 over priced. Seems like a lot of work done on a 14,000 mile bike.  Here was my 79 R100RT by comparison.

r100rt.jpg

P.S.  Still has rubber brakes lines also....

• Like 2

You kept that bike in beautiful condition David.

Appreciate all the info on these bikes. I did rent  an airhead RT out in AZ years ago and remember it being a nice ride. Understanding they are a relic of the past, you could still have fun on one.

Now, since I can’t get a reply from the CL ad (call / email) that started all this I’ll post it here to see if you think I was chasing ghosts. :classic_biggrin:

20 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Pat...that bike looks to be repainted.  I dont remember that color scheme...I could be wrong.  The San Jose front fork brace has been chromed, the sidestand is not original and has been chromed, and that fairing is something else. Those are the wrong stickers on the side panels.  They weren't stickers, they were painted on.  Probably still a very good bike but at least $2500 over priced. Seems like a lot of work done on a 14,000 mile bike.  Here was my 79 R100RT by comparison.

P.S.  Still has rubber brakes lines also....

oh how I wish they made a R9T bike in this style.

• Like 1

Pat....from what I can see the bike looks pretty original.  Not completely sure of the paint scheme, but I think I remember they offered it in that color.....not that it matters much.  The speedo cluster looks like it has either been wet or possibly sitting in the sun.  PaloAlto speedometer in California can make it look new...pricey...but good work.  

I just noticed on the key ring he has the original baggage keys.....Impossible to find.  Mine came with 3.  A guy offered me a $100 for just one key ~2007.

• Like 1

I hope he gets back to me but I have a feeling, my info he already has is being used in some foreign country. :classic_biggrin:

Maybe not, maybe the motor it toast (reflects price) and he’s a busy guy. :dontknow: