IGNORED

Craigslist find of the day

TEWKS

A coworker bought a 5 year old used Mustang and somehow didn't know that at some point the oil has to be changed.  She drove it without oil changes until the engine seized.  Sad because the car was in great condition otherwise and the previous owner took good care of it.  She said it was the first car she owned and didn't know it should be serviced.  No, she wasn't blond.  

My wife, girlfriend at the time, drove from Houston to Dallas to see me in her brand new 1974 Mustang.  It had about 12,000 miles on it.  It was clacking up a storm.  Have you checked the oil...no they did that at the dealer when daddy took it in.  I pulled the dipstick, and you could barely see any trace of oil.  I drained what was left, put on a new filter and new Havoline 30W.  That car burned oil it's whole life and it also clacked it's whole life.  She honestly didn't have a clue then about checking oil.  Her dad didn't either.  I've made her participate and learn about cars since then, but alas it hasn't all stuck.  A couple of months ago she said, oh there is an orange light on in my car.  I guess it is that air filter thing you told me before I don't have to worry about.  How long has it been on...Two or three days....TPMS.  Right front tire was sitting at 10psi with a small nail.  

• Smile 2
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, BrianT said:

A coworker bought a 5 year old used Mustang and somehow didn't know that at some point the oil has to be changed.  She drove it without oil changes until the engine seized.  Sad because the car was in great condition otherwise and the previous owner took good care of it.  She said it was the first car she owned and didn't know it should be serviced.  No, she wasn't blond.  

Ditto, for my beloved cousin, a beautiful woman (now grandmother) inside and out.  I think her dad bought her first car for her, and it died at about 30K miles, back in the day when you really, REALLY needed to change oil every 2500 miles (before the advent of synthetics and well quality American cars that could last 500K miles just changing the oil, and replacing wear stuff like brakes and tires).  She just didn't know what she didn't know. 

7 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Runs great except for those rods knocking, water in the oil, valves clacking, oil pump making a slight noise, and I'm really digging those extra-long clutch and front brake cables just in case you might need to cut off the ends some day and still have plenty of length.  I just wonder what the rest of the maintenance was like...not really.

Hey, no guts, no glory.  Everyone needs a garage project..  Maybe this one is yours!  🙃😁

The nice thing about projects like this, is just about the time you think you're finished with the restoration, something else needs help!  It never ends.

Plus, after the first $5000 or so, you have so much money already sunk into it that you just feel ....ah... "morally obligated" to dump more money and time into it.   It quickly becomes your favorite bike, a real love and hate thingy! 😎

They all do that… No, not the Mustangs! :D 

Here’s a not so funny one. We got a standby generator about ten years ago. (haven’t lost electricity since) I did a little tuneup a couple weeks ago. Oil, filter, air filter and plugs. So there’s an “auto stop manual” switch right under the “hood”. I drained the oil and removed the filter, then decided to search for the rear spark plug. Before starting this project I subconsciously said don’t bump the switch. What did I do when reaching over to look for the plug, yep, I put my hand right on the switch and sure enough if fired up. ( with no oil :dopeslap:) I quickly shut it down but man, I couldn’t believe I did that! :mad: Seems like no damage was done. :classic_blush:

2 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

They all do that… No, not the Mustangs! :D 

Here’s a not so funny one. We got a standby generator about ten years ago. (haven’t lost electricity since) I did a little tuneup a couple weeks ago. Oil, filter, air filter and plugs. So there’s an “auto stop manual” switch right under the “hood”. I drained the oil and removed the filter, then decided to search for the rear spark plug. Before starting this project I subconsciously said don’t bump the switch. What did I do when reached over to look for the plug, yep, I put my hand right on the switch and sure enough if fired up. ( with no oil :dopeslap:) I quickly shut it down but man, I couldn’t believe I did that! :mad: Seems like no damage was done. :classic_blush:

Umm, that's how it works.  You buy the generator, you never use it.  You skip the generator, you'll need it every year for the next five years.

I compromised.  I prewired my home when I built it for a generator, and put a plastic box over there.   The Idaho weather and local power company think I have a working generator over there, so I never lose power.  👍🍻

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MikeB60 said:

Don't let Lowndes see this! 

Don't worry, I think he is too busy sending snake cams down in his motor to see this   :)

• Smile 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Skywagon said:

It needsimage.jpeg.04342e63d4b2f95386d7069893c9f14e.jpeg this 

I thought that only went on these

image.thumb.png.a1133873a99410ab512e126e27f3f8a7.png

but only because bmw didn't offer this scheme for the S

image.png.ed6e492bac9c55f7d8c2a496617eb3eb.png

15 minutes ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

I've ridden a period correct 1950's Lambretta 2 stroke.  That killed the scooter thing for me.  lol :)

Ya, I’m sure it would for me too. :classic_biggrin: 

• Like 1

If you see this Vespa coming best get outa th' way.  

When I first saw this Vespa I laughed, thought it was a joke.  It's not.

Number plates, taped headlight, "clip-on's", chin fairing.  Com'on, man.

I met the owner/builder/rider at TWO couple of years back sitting in the rocking chairs on the porch.  He was the head of rigging for Cirque du Soleil for several years, got tired of the travel, got a job in a bike shop here.  It was stock when he got it, 7 hp.  He had it "worked on", bigger carb, shocks, bored and stroked, ported, expansion chamber, bumstop, etc, making 28 hp on the dyno now.  Said he put the chin fairing on it trying to keep the front end down when it "gets over 80". 

He's been a regular there since.  Recently had the front end lowered 2" to aid with the front end.  Says he has more fun on it that the other two sport bikes (behind it).  Says he has fun passing sport bikes coming up Blood Mountain on 19.  I just stay in a rocking chair when he is out riding.  Couldn't live with myself if I got passed by a Vespa.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aejnyUGUUVXfTU3M6

image.thumb.png.019f54518aa0bccce221a9cecf46907b.png

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Ok - I will. Wait for a 200 or better a 250 with fuel injection, or at the very least a 150. The 50s are fun but only for very low speeds. The 50s and 150s are the same body. The 200s and 250s look almost the same but slightly larger frame and way more practical. We had one for several years and it was great 

• Plus 1 1
  • Thanks 1

Sitting that long it’ll most likely be a nightmare to get it running right and a money pit if you bring it to someone to do the work. 

Like szurszewski said, if you want one for fun, and not an ongoing project, get a fuel injected 250. I owned a couple of them at different times.

You can find a nice one for 2 grand or so. 

• Like 2

Old memories.   Remember as kids we'd have died to have one of these (well, for us ...um ... more "senior" kids 😏, - it's a 1969).

(Edit: Just browsing dual sport/licensed dirt bikes, I'm kind of shocked at some of the prices they are asking.  The want as much for some of these older bikes as they cost originally.  I know from "way back when" (i.e. maybe y2000), that changed in California law made some of the older bikes far more attractive over the newer crap that was being built, but haven't kept up.  Just, still a little surprised.)

https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/mcy/7556662633.html

• Like 1

Boy isn't that the truth.  I had a Penton 125 Trials - Green...  I think I paid about $600 for it in high school.  I sold the bike about 3-4 years ago for $4500.  It was pretty beat up but solid.  I see them advertised for as much as $8-9000.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Boy isn't that the truth.  I had a Penton 125 Trials - Green...  I think I paid about $600 for it in high school.  I sold the bike about 3-4 years ago for $4500.  It was pretty beat up but solid.  I see them advertised for as much as $8-9000.

I rode my uncle's Penton, when I rode with he and my cousins back around 1970 (+/- a year or so).  It sounds like fiction, but he was a guy who began pounding nails after he left the Navy (WWII), partnered with an old buddy who eventually left him with a mess, after he left with his girlfriend for Hawaii (leaving his wife and kids behind, too), and my uncle eventually became a fairly wealthy developer in the Orange County (SoCal) area.  He built a lot of what John Wayne owned.  He also rode with Steve McQueen and Malcom Smith out in the California desert.  No big deal back then, they were just a bunch of early California desert riders, before "On Any Sunday" came out and changed all that.  Anyhow, that was a SWEET bike, but I could never afford one, working my way through college, then came the Navy, a family, bills, mortgage, etc..  Anyway, another dream that died via "natural causes".  I did buy a used Hodaka 100 from my cousin, if I recall, when I was about 13 or 14, which was my first dirt bike.  Just didn't have enough torque to run in the desert, and I burned a hole in the piston trying.

Yep, some of those early classic's, Penton's, Husky's, etc., probably are worth their weight in gold, but I'm talking about the average run of the mill bikes made after y2000.   I've thought about trying to pick up an old one, on/off road licensed, so that I can putz around the back hills a bit.   Lol, there ain't no "cheap old ones" out there like there used to be, at least something that runs.  Not looking for a project bike, just something easy, and if it's $4000, trust me, selling it to my wife won't be easy.   🙃😁  She thinks that the proper number of motorcycles a man should have is "zero".🙄

• Like 1
On 11/12/2022 at 10:00 AM, MikeB60 said:

Don't let Lowndes see this! 

I did contact the owner, asked about the shocks.  He said they are aftermarket but did not know the make.  Said he is the second owner, bought it from the original owner.  Also said he doesn't "know much about bikes."  That's why the low price.  He's supposed to send me pics of the shocks.  This is from what I see a very good deal on a bike, if it is in good shape mechanically.  He is about an hour from me, may have to go see it!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
4 minutes ago, Lowndes said:

I did contact the owner, asked about the shocks.  He said they are aftermarket but did not know the make.  Said he is the second owner, bought it from the original owner.  Also said he doesn't "know much about bikes."  That's why the low price.  He's supposed to send me pics of the shocks.  This is from what I see a very good deal on a bike, if it is in good shape mechanically.  He is about an hour from me, may have to go see it!!

I agree - I sold my 2001 to a an adv member/internet friend for that asking price back at the end of 2020 and I felt then and now like I’d given him a very good deal. I’d probably buy it back for that price or even a bit more now if I had the chance (needed space then - have space now). Good luck!

The owner of that '99 R1100S says these are the shocks on it.  Could be worse.  No telling how many miles on the shocks.  And whats a dual sport tire doing on it.

Hey, Scott, this might be a good bike to "putz around the back hills on."

image.thumb.png.cddb2003c4a3d1112d853bfe2e1d21fe.png

image.thumb.png.13f87dc2b4ecc6ea2756cacd4c5539ed.png

^ I’ve got so much GD money I don’t know what to do with it ^ :classic_biggrin: I’m sure you’d be the only kid in the neighborhood with one, but….

When I first started noticing them back in the late 90's or early 2000's, they were going for $35,000, maybe $40,000, in very good condition. Missed out again.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

Don't low-ball him, he knows what he has!

C'mon,....the offer is at least 5-6 times what the bike costs new,......dang, the thing is 94 years old!!  He should be paying me to take it from him ;)  No ABS, no ESA, no cruise, no heated seat,....geesh

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Lowndes said:

And no service records, either.  Who knows where that thing has been.  At least we know it's a has been.

Oh... ah...nevermind.  For a second, I thought you were talking about all the old guys on this forum, like you and me.  😏😎

Easy mistake to make, nevermind. 🤣

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I really enjoyed my time with my K1300GT, it could really shame squids who did not understand just how fast someone on a GT can be. Liked the front end better than telelever.  when they went to a six I just never looked again at a K

1 hour ago, Dennis Andress said:

Thanks, but I’ve never liked the idea of putting weight above and behind the rear axle….

Me neither, but it sure comes in handy!

And to think, I used to ride with no bags at all, much less a trunk. Windshields were for sissies, and no way a fairing or, gasp!, a sound system would ever be on my bike.

How times change.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
  • Haha 1
12 hours ago, Hosstage said:

Me neither, but it sure comes in handy!

And to think, I used to ride with no bags at all, much less a trunk. Windshields were for sissies, and no way a fairing or, gasp!, a sound system would ever be on my bike.

How times change.

Uhhh, I think ya meant to say  "How getting old changes people ....".  🙃😁🤣🤣😎🍻

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...