IGNORED

Craigslist find of the day

TEWKS

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, szurszewski said:

I’ll be very curious to see what that goes for. 

It's BaT, so it'll go for more than it's worth.

I bid $36, but for some reason, the site wouldn't accept my bid:dontknow:

• Plus 1 1

No apoligies necessary.   It may not have Shift Cam Power, Baby! but it sure is a blast to wind 'er up.    :thumbsup:

It is quite a change of pace when you go from 2019 model to 2000 model BMW, which is needed sometimes.   :bike:

• Like 1

That's Biarritz Blue, yeah? I have a 2004 R1100S that I think is "Pacific Blue" - similar but not quite the same, I think. 

The comment about the ABS says the light is on the but the brakes are functional. My S doesn't have ABS (anymore), but came with the iABS/whizzy/servo brakes - I assume this RT has those as well. I'd want to know more about what the ABS light meant, or be ready to remove the servo system, before I bought this, but it does look nice and have low miles (which, could also mean it's not far from spline failure....). 

I had a 2005 R1150RT in Biarritz Blue...one of the last 1150's made. I loved that bike. My whizzy brakes were serviced regularly and never went out on me.  I don't know if the ABS  doesn't work how good your brakes are.  I've told this Darwin story on myself before.

When the bike had about 200 miles on it, I did something I have done most of my motorcycling life (pre-BMW brakes).  I turned the corner going about 30mph, turned off the key, with a plan to coast into the garage and stop.  Holy crap....there was almost zero braking power.  I thought for sure I was going through the back of the garage.  I pulled as hard as I could and got it stopped, while learning a lesson.  Don't turn the key off while moving.

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thinking 1
2 hours ago, Skywagon said:

I had a 2005 R1150RT in Biarritz Blue...one of the last 1150's made. I loved that bike. My whizzy brakes were serviced regularly and never went out on me.  I don't know if the ABS  doesn't work how good your brakes are.  I've told this Darwin story on myself before.

When the bike had about 200 miles on it, I did something I have done most of my motorcycling life (pre-BMW brakes).  I turned the corner going about 30mph, turned off the key, with a plan to coast into the garage and stop.  Holy crap....there was almost zero braking power.  I thought for sure I was going through the back of the garage.  I pulled as hard as I could and got it stopped, while learning a lesson.  Don't turn the key off while moving.

Similar experience with a friend’s 2005 K1200LT/Hannigan sidecar rig AND his 1200GS rig. You’d think I’d have learned after the first time, but no. 

In both cases I had ridden the rig from his house to mine to do some work for him. That house was sort of in the woods, and the driveway was gravel off the road, through some trees and down a small hill to the paved driveway and garage. My habit on a bike was always to shut down before the hill and coast onto the pavement. Both times I felt like I was going to hit the closed garage door because I’d waited until just before the door to apply any brake (because I was already rolling slowly) …and then there was hardly any brake to apply!

The first time, not being used to the iABS on the LT at all, I thought, oh shit- what the hell is happening? The second time, on the GS, I forgot he didn’t have a rear/foot brake control (which is what I usually used when parking like that) and thought, oh my *^% - I can’t believe I’m stupid enough to have done this again!

• Smile 1

Funny how Craigslist doesn't have a membership requirement..:whistle:... and a reminder to anyone here that uses Fakebook; a lot of people do not use it and will not see your ad unless you also list it on an open source site. Craigslist or Cycletrader etc........

edit:  My buddy cruises FB ads and we have found just as many scams and BS there as on CL:java:

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

Well, a lot of folks do use FB market place.  I've sold a car and bike on FB marketplace. Also bought my Grand Marquis from someone on FB marketplace.  Scams everywhere some due diligence is always necessary. Marketplace is the only thing about FB that I find useful.  

• Plus 1 1
4 hours ago, MikeB60 said:

Well, a lot of folks do use FB market place.  I've sold a car and bike on FB marketplace. Also bought my Grand Marquis from someone on FB marketplace.  Scams everywhere some due diligence is always necessary. Marketplace is the only thing about FB that I find useful.  

Wife has facebook, I don't.  She finds things there that I don't find on craigslist or offerup.  I find things on craigslist or offerup that she doesn't find on facebook. 

Knowing what to look out for on any of the sites, is the key.

About 20 miles away from me...

https://cosprings.craigslist.org/mcy/d/colorado-springs-classic-1981-cbx-1000/7590927922.html

Classic 1981 Honda CBX 1000 6-cylinder motorcycle!
Excellent condition even though 41 years young!
Carbs recently redone and synched
New tires
New battery
Full luggage
Replacement exhaust, but have original
Polished valve covers and other covers

• Like 4
14 hours ago, beemerboy said:

About 20 miles away from me...

https://cosprings.craigslist.org/mcy/d/colorado-springs-classic-1981-cbx-1000/7590927922.html

Classic 1981 Honda CBX 1000 6-cylinder motorcycle!
Excellent condition even though 41 years young!
Carbs recently redone and synched
New tires
New battery
Full luggage
Replacement exhaust, but have original
Polished valve covers and other covers

I knew a dealer near me, that had one of these brand new, on his floor, well into the mid eighties. Like a lot of unique machines, they don’t get appreciated until a few decades old.

• Plus 1 2
13 hours ago, Darbarian said:

The exhaust note running through the gears must be near-orgasmic. I doubt I could tire of it. 

3 hours ago, 9Mary7 said:

Got to ride one years ago with a pair of Kerker 3 into 1's on it......simply amazing sound:yes:

Hey guys, I somewhat recently reduced my stable from 4 to 2 bikes. I DO NOT NEED TO READ COMMENTS LIKE YOURS, Mkay? :mad:

20 miles away from me. Hmmm.... :whistle:

• Haha 1

The one I rode was 6 into 6 and sounded great too, a lot like an aircooled 9ll race car. If it's any consolation it handled like a pig even by the standards of the day, although knowing that wasn't it's mission but as a high speed tourer in that iteration. 

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, beemerboy said:

Hey guys, I somewhat recently reduced my stable from 4 to 2 bikes. I DO NOT NEED TO READ COMMENTS LIKE YOURS, Mkay? :mad:

20 miles away from me. Hmmm.... :whistle:

You do realize that two bikes left alone in your garage might do nasty things.  They need a chaperone. 

(Says the guy with two bikes in his garage - but mine share space with a Polaris Sportsman and snow blower to keep them honest)

42 minutes ago, Darbarian said:

You do realize that two bikes left alone in your garage might do nasty things.  They need a chaperone. 

(Says the guy with two bikes in his garage - but mine share space with a Polaris Sportsman and snow blower to keep them honest)

la la la ignore.jpg

And besides, my two bikes ARE chaperoned by this green brute:

DSC01444.JPG

• Like 2

On my ride through Canada a few years ago on my trek to US corner no. 1 in Madawaska, ME, I passed a historical marker about Joseph-Armand Bombardier's development of the first Ski Doo (after building a small bus with tracks to get kids to school).  As summarized in Wikipedia, what a cool story. I had no idea.  The rest is history:

The first ever Ski-Doo was launched in 1959 as a new invention created by Joseph-Armand Bombardier. The original name was Ski-Dog, but a typographical error in a Bombardier brochure changed the name Ski-Dog to Ski-Doo. Upon discovery of the typo, Bombardier considered that typo a fortuitous development since he felt it not only sounded appealing, but it was distinctive and simple to trademark for his vehicle.

image.thumb.jpeg.fe500d3c2e3561ee43b06f289d25e6ca.jpeg

• Like 3
1 hour ago, RandyShields said:

On my ride through Canada a few years ago on my trek to US corner no. 1 in Madawaska, ME, I passed a historical marker about Joseph-Armand Bombardier's development of the first Ski Doo (after building a small bus with tracks to get kids to school).  As summarized in Wikipedia, what a cool story. I had no idea.  The rest is history:

The first ever Ski-Doo was launched in 1959 as a new invention created by Joseph-Armand Bombardier. The original name was Ski-Dog, but a typographical error in a Bombardier brochure changed the name Ski-Dog to Ski-Doo. Upon discovery of the typo, Bombardier considered that typo a fortuitous development since he felt it not only sounded appealing, but it was distinctive and simple to trademark for his vehicle.

image.thumb.jpeg.fe500d3c2e3561ee43b06f289d25e6ca.jpeg

Morning Randy

That brings back memories I had a 1966 ski doo Olympic (single cylinder) about 10hp if I remember correctly, with light snow on glare ice I could just get 30 mph out of it if the wind was blowing in the right direction.   It didn't even have a speedometer as I had to time it with a car following it.  No track sliders as in those days the Ski-doo's only had bogy wheels.  Great for on-road or snowless trails with little to no cooling/friction reducing snow but wasn't worth a crap in deep snow. With the carburetor sitting right in front of the rider we would twist on the mixture needles constantly trying to get just one more mile an hour out of that loud perthitic thing. 

The sad part was, my 250cc dirt bike with studded tires could run circles around that darn snow machine, I mean really run circles around it & still whoop it's butt. 

• Like 3
47 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

Dr, you just needed to modify that carb a little...

Morning Hosstage

It seemed to have plenty of carb as it really didn't go much faster at wide open throttle that at 3/4 throttle.   It's limitation was fairly low compression, single cylinder, piston port , & non-performance port timing. Well, plus the fact that the clutch had a very poor weight ramp design so ratio adjustment was poor, slow, & inefficient. (BUT it sure did  beat walking out to my ice fishing shanty).

John Ranalletta
1 hour ago, Hosstage said:

Dr, you just needed to modify that carb a little...

IMG_20230101_115432730_HDR.thumb.jpg.6004f5ae0aa7bb052e371e13b2587866.jpg

In the early 70s, we lived in Wausau, WI.  Our maintenance manager was a USSA (snowmobile association) race director.  He got me into helping at races.  I used his 2 cycle Polaris with 12" track.  What a beast!  Wausau  sponsored the annual snowmobile race on New Year's Day w/ $10k purse.  Naturally, French Canadians on Ski Doos took most of the money, but we showed them...they didn't know how to dance the polka at the awards ceremony.  

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 1
36 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Hosstage

It seemed to have plenty of carb as it really didn't go much faster at wide open throttle that at 3/4 throttle.   It's limitation was fairly low compression, single cylinder, piston port , & non-performance port timing. Well, plus the fact that the clutch had a very poor weight ramp design so ratio adjustment was poor, slow, & inefficient. (BUT it sure did  beat walking out to my ice fishing shanty).

Nothing a couple more cylinders wouldn't have solved!

IMG_20230101_115304181_HDR.thumb.jpg.6aad5be340da4c51e577f1773660582a.jpg

How many times did you get your coat sucked into the carb and kill power?

I've ridden a bunch of snow machines in the last 50 years, the advancement in all aspects of performance is amazing. 4 stroke injected machines with electric start, reverse, 14" of suspension travel, and heated everything. Did I mention 100+ horsepower is almost common?

Roug....not sure what those metal things underneath it for. :16:  This is probably how you would recognize them.  Not sure how you catch fish with ski's.  

18.jpg

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
52 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Roug....not sure what those metal things underneath it for. :16:  This is probably how you would recognize them.  Not sure how you catch fish with ski's.  

Morning David

On the later snow machines with better track ribs, WAY more horsepower, & better suspension we ride them across water all the time. All it takes is speed & guts. I guess I wouldn't want to ride one across a 10 mile wide lake but a 100 yards or so then no big deal. 

• Plus 1 1

Was just gonna mention the open water crossings, I did it once or twice but yeah, line of sight to the shore and we hit it about sixty MPH. Of course my brother had to go from shore to ice (which is way more scary) and yes, I fully admit, I was a follower. :ohboy: Stayed dry, we didn’t continue the practice after that. 

Just a sample below, not me.

• Thanks 2
16 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

ride them across water all the time

I have seen a few of those on shock TV, but folks usually bust their rear end.  Looks fun though.  The picture I sent, it's not me but a friend, was about 35 miles out in the Gulf.  I don't go out that far in a boat.

4 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

was about 35 miles out in the Gulf.  I don't go out that far in a boat.

We go out in the Atlantic quite often that far, but would not even think about it in my 21 International Skimmer, let alone a Jet Ski

The last place we lived in Alaska was a tundra village called Kasigluk. When you don't have roads you can't really go cruising, but if there are rivers and lakes everywhere, and you're a teenage boy, you can try to impress the ladies (but I think really mostly the other boys) by riding as much water as you can. Arctic Cat was the brand of choice in our area, and they called it "cat walking" (if you had enough hp and big paddles, it would look like you were standing on your "hind legs"). 

It was fun to watch, and though machines went down to the bottom from time time to time it was usually shallow enough to get them back out...maybe...in the late spring. I never had anything fast enough to really go far, so I stuck to small creeks and things that were actually in my way when I was trying to get somewhere, and instead of the big smile the kids were usually wearing I'm sure my facial expression better matched the stream of hopeful but not optimistic profanity inside my head. 

...and then there's waterX. My understanding is some events are lap races and how long you can keep going is mainly limited by fuel capacity. 

• Like 3
45 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

Drinking!

Afternoon Hosstage

Not in the groups that I rode with. Those things (newer models) will do 100mph+  on the lakes & 75+ on the back roads & trails between the trees so drinking & seriously playing on those things makes your heirs rich & makes you either dead or mangled for life.   

4 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Hosstage

Not in the groups that I rode with. Those things will do 100mph+  on the lakes & 75+ on the back roads & trails between the trees so drinking & seriously playing on those things makes your heirs rich & makes you either dead or mangled for life.   

We didn't always make good decisions when we were younger.

Hell, I don't  make good decisions when  I'm older.

I don't ride snow machines much anymore, sold mine. It's cold, they need to be trailered to trails where I live, snow is inconsistent, they get stuck and it's hard work, and it's cold. I don't like cold.

But I sure do appreciate both the old and new machines. 

• Plus 1 2
13 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

Afternoon Hosstage

Well, you must have made somewhat good decisions when you were younger as you are still around posting on the internet. That is unless you are the Ghost of the original  Hosstage with Internet privileges. 

• Smile 1
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Hosstage

Well, you must have made somewhat good decisions when you were younger as you are still around posting on the internet. That is unless you are the Ghost of the original  Hosstage with Internet privileges. 

I think a lot of luck involved as much as anything to keep me and my friends alive.

God looks out for children and fools.

• Plus 1 1
1 hour ago, Hosstage said:

Hell, I don't  make good decisions when  I'm older.

I don't ride snow machines much anymore, sold mine. It's cold, they need to be trailered to trails where I live, snow is inconsistent, they get stuck and it's hard work, and it's cold. I don't like cold.

But I sure do appreciate both the old and new machines. 

If you survived, it was a smart decision 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

If you survived, it was a smart decision 

I kind of have to disagree with you there! Just because I made it out the other side doesn't mean it was a smart move. It just means that I'm a lucky man, in more ways than one!

Like I said, children and fools!

6 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

I kind of have to disagree with you there! Just because I made it out the other side doesn't mean it was a smart move. It just means that I'm a lucky man, in more ways than one!

Like I said, children and fools!

you typing to a guy that puts ladders on the roof of a truck to reach a 4-5 inch branch;)

• Smile 1
  • Haha 2