IGNORED

Craigslist find of the day

TEWKS

20 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

Hate to say it, but I'm not a fan of the brown seat. Very nice bike otherwise.

Really?  I’m trying to work here. :dontknow: You tell the customer that the “shit brown” seat looks elegant and sophisticated! :read: Then after the sale, you direct him to the aftermarket and make a buck there. ;) 

Spoiler

Kidding, I think it looks ok.

• Haha 2
fourteenfour
On 5/8/2022 at 1:33 PM, TEWKS said:

I owned one of these while in the Air Force, purchased in 1985. Got the "boost" kit from NA Corporate which did make a real difference. Was stuck at Sumter from 85-89 in South Carolina. Friend had the Kawasaki 750 Turbo - that was was so fun. Moved on to a FZ700 but should have bought a VF700F like my friend did in white, he came from a Nighthawk 700 in Red on Black- the original blacked out bikes

• Like 2
roadscholar

I was a Yammie dealer when those came out, they were quite a sensation, and correct not many were sold mainly because they were comparatively expensive but were a good showroom draw, each dealer only got a few. I had one later in the 90's along with a Honda CX500 Turbo, both were a lot of fun and entertaining to ride especially in the mountains.

• Like 3
fourteenfour
12 hours ago, roadscholar said:

I was a Yammie dealer when those came out, they were quite a sensation, and correct not many were sold mainly because they were comparatively expensive but were a good showroom draw, each dealer only got a few. I had one later in the 90's along with a Honda CX500 Turbo, both were a lot of fun and entertaining to ride especially in the mountains.

was good friends with two mechanics at our local Honda dealer and while I originally wanted to buy one them they quickly talked me out of it because of issue they were having with the bikes... I think the 500 had a different issue from the 650 but I do recall having them tell me having to tear down the 650 to fix whatever the issue was.  In the end performance wise the Kawasaki was the fastest and in looks I liked the Honda the best but that may have been the colors.

• Like 1
roadscholar
12 hours ago, fourteenfour said:

was good friends with two mechanics at our local Honda dealer and while I originally wanted to buy one them they quickly talked me out of it because of issue they were having with the bikes... I think the 500 had a different issue from the 650 but I do recall having them tell me having to tear down the 650 to fix whatever the issue was.  In the end performance wise the Kawasaki was the fastest and in looks I liked the Honda the best but that may have been the colors.

The 500 I had was a non runner when I got it but knew it needed a stator (a number of Honda models had this issue in the 80's/90's evidently). Through the grapevine I found a guy in S.Ga. that was kind of the guru on them and he did the repair in his garage (the engine has to come out) for a fraction of what a Honda dealer would've charged. After that it was totally reliable except for going thru rear tires at an excessive rate. You had to be careful on tight corner exits as the boost would spin the rear adding a bit of drama to the equation. 

I had two different Yamaha Turbo's in the early 90's, one nice the other not so much, it had an issue with over-boosting so much so that the clutch couldn't cope and slipped in higher gears, the upside being that it was very fast. All those 80's turbo bikes (not counting the 77/78 Z1R TC) were an exercise in showing off the company's technology, Honda started it so the others had to follow, the Honda and Yamaha debuted almost simultaneously, Kawi followed and Suzuki was pretty late to the game and by then it was over. The best thing about them though was you got a mid size bike with 900/1000cc power, one aspect that made them fun to ride.

Years later a buddy had one of the CX650 Turbo's (83 only) and let me ride it, it was much faster than the 500 or (the stock) Yamaha 650, not sure about the Kaw. I also swapped with another buddy on his GPZ750 Turbo one day, hated it and couldn't give it back fast enough. Terrible handling bike but I'd just gotten off a BMW airhead so that could've been part of the problem : ) 

• Like 1
roadscholar

I vaguely remember that ad and liked/hated it, and had a Porsche Turbo at the time. I can tell you which one was faster if I were driving either at Road Atlanta, it def wouldn't have been the motorcycle. :grin:

• Like 3
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 1
John Ranalletta

Several riders commented on my trailer at START.  It's a Nomanco, made in Indiana for many years by company now out of business.

image.png.c78f0f94381c7ede8fb1dc0c3818be63.png

I've been searching for another single rail without the stone guard, chrome wheels and the aluminum goodies to modify when this showed up.  It's priced too high.  I paid $700 but added new rims and radials.  Couldn't hurt to make an offer.  These trailers are very solidly built (heavy).

https://bgky.craigslist.org/tro/d/morgantown-single-motorcycle-trailer/7484031610.html

image.thumb.png.00947685830aead76572ea2574986852.png

• Like 1
5 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

Several riders commented on my trailer at START.  It's a Nomanco, made in Indiana for many years by company now out of business.

image.png.c78f0f94381c7ede8fb1dc0c3818be63.png

I've been searching for another single rail without the stone guard, chrome wheels and the aluminum goodies to modify when this showed up.  It's priced too high.  I paid $700 but added new rims and radials.  Couldn't hurt to make an offer.  These trailers are very solidly built (heavy).

https://bgky.craigslist.org/tro/d/morgantown-single-motorcycle-trailer/7484031610.html

image.thumb.png.00947685830aead76572ea2574986852.png

Price of trailers (and any other vehicle) has GONE sky high.  $1200 might be a bargain, if it's in great shape.

I just bought a 2021 Kendon single ride up with less than 500 miles on it for $1450.00. Found it on Facebook market. The gentleman bought it new and used it once to transport his Harley from southern Virginia to Wilmington N.C. Was asking $1,500 but knocked off $50 so I'd feel like I was really getting a deal. As the saying goes, every once in a while, even a blind squirrel finds a nut.

• Like 2
John Ranalletta
15 minutes ago, taylor1 said:

I just bought a 2021 Kendon single ride up with less than 500 miles on it for $1450.00. Found it on Facebook market. The gentleman bought it new and used it once to transport his Harley from southern Virginia to Wilmington N.C. Was asking $1,500 but knocked off $50 so I'd feel like I was really getting a deal. As the saying goes, every once in a while, even a blind squirrel finds a nut.

The "stand up" feature of the Kendon is keen.  I have to rent a larger storage space (live in a condo) to store the Nomanco.

• Plus 1 1
szurszewski

I also found a 2020 Kendon for $1500 within the last year. It had been used a few times but not many and was just up the road from me. This is the two bike standup with the “cargo” decking (expanded steel mesh). 

I had another trailer, but it didn’t fold or carry two bikes and was older. It was not a problem to sell that trailer for twice what I’d paid for it in 2020. 

• Like 1
John Ranalletta
1 hour ago, szurszewski said:

I also found a 2020 Kendon for $1500 within the last year. It had been used a few times but not many and was just up the road from me. This is the two bike standup with the “cargo” decking (expanded steel mesh). 

I had another trailer, but it didn’t fold or carry two bikes and was older. It was not a problem to sell that trailer for twice what I’d paid for it in 2020. 

A little rough..

https://toledo.craigslist.org/tro/d/waterville-kendon-stand-up-motorcycle/7475249989.html

Good deal?  Rock guard makes it non standupable.

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/tro/d/great-falls-kendon-folding-motorcycle/7483794911.html

Not so good deal but clean.

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tro/d/west-newton-07-kendon-motorcycle/7466486030.html

24 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

With this bike, you can put the ST in BMWST  :dontknow:

Quite a different look for the front, I must say.  Interesting.

00M0M_8TfHKU8Lh5vz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

Yeah, this has always been an interesting look, but not one that I have ever favored.  I believe that BMW cancelled this after a poor consumer response in the Hexheads.

However, some folks just loved the ST's, back when they were something new.

21 minutes ago, Scott9999 said:

some folks just loved the ST's,

I loved mine and handed it down to my son, he enjoys surprising folks at track days on it.....

• Like 2

That ST is really a great looking bike, from any angle but the front. More than once I've been looking at my dealers used bikes and come upon this wonderful bike that looks sleek and sporty, and then I walk to the front and think " Oh yes, now I remember."   

23 hours ago, lkraus said:

then I walk to the front

I will say that the ST's headlight system is the best I have ever experienced...... Stacked twins.......... Fabulous.

Wait, can I say that??:dontknow:

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, 9Mary7 said:

I will say that the ST's headlight system is the best I have ever experienced...... Stacked twins.......... Fabulous.

Wait, can I say that??:dontknow:

Hmmm,  F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S ....1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8.

Yep, it's not a 4 letter word.  You're good.

Oh... wait a minute, lemme think, err :::Twins.... um ... stacked .... two ... um...:::

Well, I guess it depends on whether the moderator viewing this is a red-blooded American male, or feminist female. 🙃😂🤣

But then again, I think retired LEO's have some sort of immunity, AS LONG as they're re-tired, and you looked pretty tired from all that moving.

(Yeah, my defective brain has slowed down some lately ... 😏)

• Haha 2
49 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Maybe 5K…   :dontknow:

image.jpeg

Well, it's got low miles, and it'd be a fun little bike to play with, but $5600 for a 12 year old dirt bike??   Not for me.

Agree about the age, no spring chicken. :classic_biggrin: I’d toss an offer of $4,900 which wouldn’t be a bad way into adventure riding. :dontknow:

3 hours ago, Scott9999 said:

This is so odd,

Not for N. Idaho....... cool sh!t right there............ 'Merica:cool:

• Haha 2

.....belt drive?     Really?   What could wear out?

On a positive note:  it has two side bags, so the seller may have to keep one.  

Lowndes, I will go with you to check it out, if need be.  If he is desperate, then maybe you can get a good deal made.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
roadscholar

The F800ST is a really fun bike and perfect for the mountains. Had one just like it, it makes an R1100S feel like a touring bike in comparison.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, roadscholar said:

The F800ST is a really fun bike and perfect for the mountains. Had one just like it, it makes an R1100S feel like a touring bike in comparison.

The K1200RS makes my R1100S feel like a Schwinn

I went and rode it (just around the block), really good shape, has a Corbin seat for it as well.  The riding position is good but the seat is too low or the pegs too high.

So, what are the weak points, things to look out for with this bike??

roadscholar
16 minutes ago, Lowndes said:

I went and rode it (just around the block), really good shape, has a Corbin seat for it as well.  The riding position is good but the seat is too low or the pegs too high.

No problems with mine but only put around 15k on it and an 800GS combined. At 5'8 it fit me pretty good, I had Verholen bar backs on it and liked the stock windscreen better than a bigger aftermarket one, only rode it for a few hours at a time but everyone's different. For me just a fun toy to go play on once in awhile even here in the flatlands but the mountains are what it was made for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Lowndes said:

Afternoon  Lowndes

There were some problems with the older 800 bikes, probably the most prevalent is the charging system stator would burn up causing a no-charge.  (I have installed quite a few stators, complete with the new updated flywheels, on the older 800 bikes) 

They also have some problems with cracking plastic fuel tanks (look very closely around the outer edges for signs of cracking).

A few fuel pump failures (especially after storing with E-10 fuel in the tank). The 800 fuel pumps were not anodized. 

Not a real failure point (unless you ride a lot of gravel roads) but the drive belt is a $550.00 belt (plus additional labor if you have a shop do it).  

I have also seen some rear wheel bearing problems (mostly on the 800GS) not sure if that effected the 800ST.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
fourteenfour

I had a F800GT for a short time, it was the follow on to the ST. The tank setup is just odd with the gauge not progressing like a normal gauge. It was decent is about the best I can say for it but I think a basic R1200 with bags would be a better bike overall. The GT variants actually supported true BMW hard bags and not those shown on the ST.

With regards to that 2004 1150, looks like they kept some of the color scheme from the Rockster models and ditched the goofy headlamp it had

szurszewski

If that was the era GS one wanted, I'd say $4k for a pretty darn close to new bike would be very reasonable. Can't tell from the pics really, but from the description I'd expect it to be in very good cosmetic and mechanical condition. Lots of higher miles bikes (though mostly with luggage) from the 1100s and 1150s that seem to be selling for more than that. 

• Like 1

Tewks...The ad reads mostly stored indoors.  Looking closely, and it could just be lack of detail, the bike looks kind of weather worn.  The seat looks old with lots of lines on the pillion that look to be sun exposure.  There is something rusted next to the rear master cylinder and the black plastic looks faded.  It also still has rubber brake lines up front.  Rear rim looks pitted/some rust, and no bags?

It's probably a pretty good bike and maybe the pictures are deceiving, but....If I were interested I would start at $2500 and end at $3000.  That vintage bike with probably whizzy brakes, hes, rubber brake lines, fuel lines in the tank, maybe a fuel pump, etc is likely to need a fair amount of work.  I'm not trying to insult the seller, but it is a 21 year old bike ridden less than 1000/year.  Parts age and unless there was evidence of most of the items listed  I would budget at least $1000 to catch up on parts.

• Like 1
roadscholar

Yes, looks like it’s had lots of sun exposure, why bother. Seems to me the fact he doesn’t mention it in the ad is a bigger problem.

2001, no wizzy brakes, that started in 02. I had one just like it for 18 years, possibly the best BMW I’ve ever owned and there have been many. Simple, sturdy, reliable, comfortable at 90 and plenty adequate off road. Sold it several months ago to a guy for $5500. and he was very happy to get it. 

“There is no such thing as a cheap German car” (or motorcycle).

7A3A38B0-0302-40A9-A875-0E8AF4B6B3A7.thumb.jpeg.3689e2797977cc887911d199d8338446.jpeg

E52FD115-6C28-40A8-BF88-CBA574BF8A3D.thumb.jpeg.a76128cde7bb457c91dd0759540d7e05.jpeg

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

Yes, looks like it’s had lots of sun exposure, why bother. Seems to me the fact he doesn’t mention it in the ad is a bigger problem.

2001, no wizzy brakes, that started in 02. I had one just like it for 18 years, possibly the best BMW I’ve ever owned and there have been many. Simple, sturdy, reliable, comfortable at 90 and plenty adequate off road. Sold it several months ago to a guy for $5500. and he was very happy to get it. 

“There is no such thing as a cheap German car (or motorcycle)”

7A3A38B0-0302-40A9-A875-0E8AF4B6B3A7.thumb.jpeg.3689e2797977cc887911d199d8338446.jpeg

E52FD115-6C28-40A8-BF88-CBA574BF8A3D.thumb.jpeg.a76128cde7bb457c91dd0759540d7e05.jpeg

That bike looks like fun, in motion, just sitting on that trailer.  😁

Every time I see a pretty GS, I have to repeat to myself:

"No, you CAN'T ride off-road anymore.  Your left ankle told you so.  If you disagree with your left ankle, he's gonna be SCREAMING his message at you."

😞

My left ankle can be quite a convincing fellow, at times. (Like, every time I climb a set of stairs.)  What he don't know is, he's soon gonna be known as "Mr. FUSED Left Ankle", if he keeps this B.S. up. 😡

• Haha 1
roadscholar
25 minutes ago, Scott9999 said:

That bike looks like fun, in motion, just sitting on that trailer.  😁

Every time I see a pretty GS, I have to repeat to myself:

"No, you CAN'T ride off-road anymore.  Your left ankle told you so.  If you disagree with your left ankle, he's gonna be SCREAMING his message at you."

😞

My left ankle can be quite a convincing fellow, at times. (Like, every time I climb a set of stairs.)  What he don't know is, he's soon gonna be known as "Mr. FUSED Left Ankle", if he keeps this B.S. up. 😡

Just don't fall down, problem solved : ) Of course it's not a real offroad bike but it'll take you plenty of places to see you wouldn't want to ride on an RT. 

IMG_1284.JPG

IMG_1270.JPG

IMG_1251.JPG

Traversing Monarch Pass I had to keep slowing down to get pics of my buddy Dave, even though he’s a hell of a rider, there just wasn't enough motorcycle : )

IMG_1325.JPG

• Like 3