IGNORED

Craigslist find of the day

TEWKS

I was tempted to "graduate" to a K1600GT, i.e. they are flat out fast, and great for 2-up riding.  However, I always thought of them as "1000 lb bikes".  I just checked the specs, and it's "only" 700 lbs, i.e. a 100 lbs heavier than my 2018 RT.  But in any case, I need less weight, not more.    And just like the "problem" with the GS (i.e. if I owned one, I'd be unable to resist getting into trouble off-road), the last thing I need is an 160 mph (est.) bike.  

But, boy-oh-boy, this is a pretty bike (as well as pretty fast).

• Like 2
6 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Don’t know if it was an original

Nope.....Used throughout the industry........but he could be the one that came up with it!!:dontknow:

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Almost free!  :yes:

image.jpeg

If it were nearby, I'd almost take a shot at it, as our 2-up bike.  

But as you well know, Pat, NOTHING about a BMW is "FREE".  🙄

(On second thought, maybe you should take up a BMW sales job after you retire from your current gig'.  You got those certain "sales dude" qualities.)  🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

I just sent that one to my buddy at work who’s been looking for a touring bike. He was a little concerned with the mileage but then said, “ heck I spent that much on lunch last week”. :classic_biggrin:

szurszewski

I spent $3k on one with 70k - sold it for what I’d paid about 45k later. Sure there were some repairs, but mostly from the abuse we inflicted on it. 

If that were anywhere w/in 300 miles of the west coast I’d buy it. 

• Like 1

A friend bought one of these (a 2002) last year to replace his totaled R1150RT, and talked me into doing the 12000 mile service for him. This experience has convinced me more firmly than ever to just stick with my own R1150RT.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
szurszewski
15 minutes ago, RogerC60 said:

A friend bought one of these (a 2002) last year to replace his totaled R1150RT, and talked me into doing the 12000 mile service for him. This experience has convinced me more firmly than ever to just stick with my own R1150RT.

The air filter is a bit of a hassle (I've seen it written that, at the factory, they start with that filter and then build the bike around it, but I had to replace a lighting relay and I'm pretty sure it must be the first part at the factory because it's UNDER the airbox) but the rest is pretty easy - and much of it the same as the RT - what didn't you like doing? 

• Haha 1

I didn't like removing a camshaft to adjust valve clearance.

Maybe my dissatisfaction is because this is my first experience of any kind with a flying brick engine, and I botched the locking down of the cam chain tensioner. That meant I had to take off the timing cover, which meant taking off the radiators.

I do have to admit, replacing the fuel filter on this K bike was lots easier than on my R1150RT.

szurszewski
47 minutes ago, RogerC60 said:

I didn't like removing a camshaft to adjust valve clearance.

Maybe my dissatisfaction is because this is my first experience of any kind with a flying brick engine, and I botched the locking down of the cam chain tensioner. That meant I had to take off the timing cover, which meant taking off the radiators.

I do have to admit, replacing the fuel filter on this K bike was lots easier than on my R1150RT.

That does sound like a hassle for sure. 

4 hours ago, 9Mary7 said:

Wow, that's a classic.  My buddy has one somewhere deep in the back of his garage, which I think was originally his dad's.  

Price seems a bit difficult, though, even for a classic bike.  A 25 year old bike might be a classic, but it's still a TWENTY-FIVE year old bike.  One would have to love it a lot to pay that price.

On 4/20/2022 at 8:22 PM, TEWKS said:

Almost free!  :yes:

image.jpeg

A profiteer?  :dontknow: Which I have no problem with. Except one, it’s not me.:spittake:

edit…guess I should explain. I’m almost sure this bike is the same bike as posted earlier. Price was $1,200 bucks.

48 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

A profiteer?  :dontknow: Which I have no problem with. Except one, it’s not me.:spittake:

edit…guess I should explain. I’m almost sure this bike is the same bike as posted earlier. Price was $1,200 bucks.

Profiteer or flat out copy-cat fraud ("selling" a bike he doesn't own), which on CL is more likely.  I don't have a problem with capitalism, but I DO wanna be the first capitalist, and let the other little busy beavers pay me.  🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Scott9999 said:

Profiteer or flat out copy-cat fraud ("selling" a bike he doesn't own), which on CL is more likely.  I don't have a problem with capitalism, but I DO wanna be the first capitalist, and let the other little busy beavers pay me.  🤣🤣🤣🤣

So how does that work? Does the crook steal the pic, and gets some sucker to send a deposit?

szurszewski
2 hours ago, Scott9999 said:

I don’t remember it being on a trailer in the other ad. My money is on looking for a very easy flip. 

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
1 hour ago, SDCRJohn said:

So how does that work? Does the crook steal the pic, and gets some sucker to send a deposit?

Well, when I was looking for RT last year, I found "two" advertised in some little small town, for about $4000 difference in price, same color, same mileage, same add-on's, same BACKGROUND in the photo's, undoubtedly the same bike.  The higher priced ad was likely legit, as he was willing to send me his maintenance history from the dealership, and meet me there to conduct the sale.  The other guy sound kinda legit, but had no idea that there was a copy-cat bike with pictures from the same residential area. 

Yep, they play with the wire transfers or some 10,001 other schemes.  Even it they can get you to just drop a deposit, they've scored.    On cycletrader, I found two obviously fraudulent bike ads in one week, just based upon the pictures (i.e. legit ads on Craigslist, vs probably fake ones on cycletrader, which was a reversal of how those frauds usually work).  It's a wild, wooly world out there, buying on the internet.  I have been using the internet since 1990, and networks (IT career) long before that.  I feel I'm a reasonably educated, experienced, and savy buyer and seller.  However, even I decided to just simplify the purchase process and reduce the risk on my remove purchase, by buying from a dealer (something I'd never do if I was able to put hands on the bike).

szurszewski
4 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

That is the Porsche Carrera of motorcycles, it will get you in trouble so just fugetaboutit : )

You're not helping!

I *really* liked  my brief ST2 ownership...I'd probably enjoy this too, but the timing is not great. I'd say, and I almost never ride my R1100S, but it would be silly to tell you that my TWO motorcycles were more than I could regularly ride ;)

• Like 1
roadscholar
50 minutes ago, szurszewski said:

You're not helping!

I *really* liked  my brief ST2 ownership...I'd probably enjoy this too, but the timing is not great. I'd say, and I almost never ride my R1100S, but it would be silly to tell you that my TWO motorcycles were more than I could regularly ride ;)

A buddy had one (4S) and I rode it one day, sneaky fast, 130 feels like 85-90 on anything else, just a friendly warning..

• Plus 1 1
szurszewski
1 minute ago, roadscholar said:

A buddy had one (4S) and I rode it one day, sneaky fast, 130 feels like 85-90 on anything else, just a friendly warning..

Appreciate the thought, but since I can't afford it right now I think I'm safe :)

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Scott9999 said:

Well, when I was looking for RT last year, I found "two" advertised in some little small town, for about $4000 difference in price, same color, same mileage, same add-on's, same BACKGROUND in the photo's, undoubtedly the same bike.  The higher priced ad was likely legit, as he was willing to send me his maintenance history from the dealership, and meet me there to conduct the sale.  The other guy sound kinda legit, but had no idea that there was a copy-cat bike with pictures from the same residential area. 

Yep, they play with the wire transfers or some 10,001 other schemes.  Even it they can get you to just drop a deposit, they've scored.    On cycletrader, I found two obviously fraudulent bike ads in one week, just based upon the pictures (i.e. legit ads on Craigslist, vs probably fake ones on cycletrader, which was a reversal of how those frauds usually work).  It's a wild, wooly world out there, buying on the internet.  I have been using the internet since 1990, and networks (IT career) long before that.  I feel I'm a reasonably educated, experienced, and savy buyer and seller.  However, even I decided to just simplify the purchase process and reduce the risk on my remove purchase, by buying from a dealer (something I'd never do if I was able to put hands on the bike).

That’s pretty much how I thought it worked. Like you said, if they just get one or two deposits, they win. Then just steal another ad pic, and repeat the process.

One thing that I’ve noticed in the last few years with these suspect ads, is that the spelling and phrasing has improved, enough that the ads almost look legit.

20 hours ago, szurszewski said:

Not Craigslist, but this appears to be way more fun per dollar than anyone should have. Also, at that price, just ride it until the next (pretty spendy) service is due and then just give it away. Or sell it cheap… 

https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/2002-ducati-st4s-san-francisco-3-500.1558461/#post-44618371

$3500!!!!!!

image.thumb.png.86903410596d266e387ce5030b2f6fca.png

This a pretty good deal if you're looking for this type of bike.  Though I don't like the clutch.

The rattle clutch doesn't go with designed usage; best if it's wet.  The only year they offered a wet clutch in a 996 S platform was 2005. That was the end of the ST4S...

Other than top end speed the ST3s is a match.  At 139 mph I really don't need any more...:burnout: 

Josh,  I'll be putting the 2006 Black ST3s  one on the chopping block in the next month or so. 

Not craigslist, not cheap, but it's a pretty bike with only 900 miles on it, and just happens to be in my neighborhood. 😁

(Even with only 900 miles, I think he's going to have to come down at least $4000 in price to be in market.)

2018 BMW R1200RT

left-1-jpg.178319

• Like 1
Scott9999
3 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Well, Pat, reading posts on this forum, you get to know people a little bit.  As far as you are concerned, if you ever win $300M in a lottery, you're going to have a dozen pole barns filled with motorcycles, just like "Jay's Garage" with auto's.  Some will be new, there'd be plenty of "exotic", but a whole LOT of 'em, will be directly off CL just like this one.  Every time you see one of these beauties, you'd be buying. 🤣  (No clue as to how you'd find time to ride 'em all.) 🤔😁

... not a bad vice to have, either.  👍🍻

• Plus 1 1

You’ve got me pegged. :thumbsup: 

Ya, I figure there’s so many more worse things in life that one could be addicted to other than shiny motorized fun stuff. :classic_biggrin:

Oh BTW, I’d have people too, to shine and wrench! :classic_biggrin:

Scott9999
54 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

You’ve got me pegged. :thumbsup: 

Ya, I figure there’s so many more worse things in life that one could be addicted to other than shiny motorized fun stuff. :classic_biggrin:

Oh BTW, I’d have people too, to shine and wrench! :classic_biggrin:

Well, I DID say Jay Leno's Garage.  I'm certain he can wrench and shine with the best of them.  I'm also certain that 99% of that is done by hired help, with Jay stepping in recreationally when he feels like it. 😏  So, with those $millions, hired help would be entirely normal (I mean, who's gonna waste riding time maintaining, when you can pay someone to do that stuff!)

(Heck, I'm too lazy to even finish putting the farkles I bought for my RT a couple of months ago. 😒  I got as far as removing the speaker covers to locate the high beam's, for the LED headlight upgrade.  So, now I can see everything clearly.  And, I can see clearly that I'm screwed.😖 )

• Like 1
Scott9999

What's REALLY tempting, is that I'm looking for a cheaper solution to flying into TN (or NH, where relatives live), and touring about TN, NC, SC, GA, to AL, without paying $1000 to $1600+ to rent a damn car.  🙄🤔  Buy it, ride it, then sell it??  

But, I already have one RT in the barn.  Maybe if this was a GS.  😁   

These kinda of plans never work out anyhow. 

(Lowndes offered me the loan of a bike earlier this year, which just might work out, but he's probably sober now.  🤣🤣)

• Haha 1
Scott9999

Here's my baby.  Fly into Orlando, pick up this thing, take the trip, and then sell it or the new 2018 afterwards.

I have always loved this color combination.   Heck of a deal, too (assuming he's not in Nigeria, selling the bike for his cousin, who's currently on a around-the-world yachting trip, only accepts crypto, etc.🙄 ). 

2012 BMW R1200RT 11k Miles $5,500

(Edit: After reviewing some pix, it's obviously been in the Florida sun all it's life, and is pretty beat up.  Look at the wonderwheel!)

(Edit #2:  Dang that Pat.  He really get's me going on these CL BMW bike ads!  😡 MAJOR time sink!)

• Plus 1 1
  • Smile 1
1 hour ago, LBump said:

more than stated mileage

Maybe not... a couple of my old partners didn't wear gloves...... a whole lotta sweat and heat tears that stuff up:dontknow:

13 hours ago, 9Mary7 said:

Maybe not... a couple of my old partners didn't wear gloves...... a whole lotta sweat and heat tears that stuff up:dontknow:

My kid did that to the leather seats in his first car. Coming from the gym his sweaty ass rotted the leather in his Accord. :spittake:

2007 with low mileage. $5,700.  :dontknow:

image.thumb.jpeg.69a563c0268a7e798d38abbe8c66ebda.jpeg

Scott9999
3 hours ago, TEWKS said:

My kid did that to the leather seats in his first car. Coming from the gym his sweaty ass rotted the leather in his Accord. :spittake:

2007 with low mileage. $5,700.  :dontknow:

image.thumb.jpeg.69a563c0268a7e798d38abbe8c66ebda.jpeg

That is a REALLY, good looking bike, Pat.  I'm still not sure that I'd want to (or at this point, be able to) be hauling around all that weight, but man, that must be a sweet  bike to ride 100's of miles a day.   I'm certain that my wife would endorse it; all I'd have to do is get her a pillow for her naps. 😁

• Like 1
szurszewski
5 minutes ago, Scott9999 said:

That is a REALLY, good looking bike, Pat.  I'm still not sure that I'd want to (or at this point, be able to) be hauling around all that weight, but man, that must be a sweet  bike to ride 100's of miles a day.   I'm certain that my wife would endorse it; all I'd have to do is get her a pillow for her naps. 😁

Laura never required a pillow to nap on our LT (or any other bike for that matter),

but she does highly endorse the heated back rest available on those bikes. 

• Like 3