IGNORED

Craigslist find of the day

TEWKS

8 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

Could be oil from cam chain tensioner

Think you nailed it William. The oil is coming from that general direction. 

Not on Craigslist, but a pretty unusual find, nonetheless.

Used 2017 BMW R1200RT

**** 251 miles ****

https://motohunt.com/l/3262121/2017-BMW-R-1200-RT

Well, it is in Hawaii, so those 1000 mile trips are unlikely there.  But only 251 miles?  The only thing I can think of is that it was either (a) a BMW buy-back/warranty that sat in storage for a long time due to legal issues, or (b) maybe a service member bought it before deployment, and (unfortunately!!) never got back.

I don't know.  How does a USED BMW RT that's at least 4 years old, have less than 300 miles on it.  I'm also kind of surprised that the dealer's add doesn't supply more answers to the obvious question.

I bought mine a week or so ago, so I'm not in the market.  However, this should interest someone out there.  FYI.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

EDIT:  plus, I have learned a lot from my Chromehead brethren, 

Yeah, I figured you had some experience with these bikes. :thumbsup: The bike in question spent a lot of time outside by the looks of it, rusted and chrome flaking parts everywhere. I looked in the fuel tank quickly and thought I saw brown rust at the bottom. He did discount it quite a bit though. 

3 minutes ago, Dennis Andress said:

When was the last time you had a truck with a shotgun rack?

1989. Really. Carried a 12 Gauge and a 22 rifle. Traded truck for a vehicle that had no place for one. Never worried about it being stolen

• Like 1

1999. I had that (as in, the one in Dennis’s picture minus the camper…though it was the “camper special” if I recall correctly) truck in all black but with whatever Ford called the extended cab in the 70s. Not only did I usually have a gun in there, I also always left the keys in the ignition. No problems. 

Love the old Ford PUs! Camper Special really was special, quite the package for the time. Split bead 16" rims, tires as tough, and as hard, as rocks.

On 10/10/2021 at 8:43 PM, TEWKS said:

William, any hidden gotchas with these bikes? Whizzy brakes on the 2003 model year? :dontknow:

Other than being seen on it?

Then again there are fans of the ST

As for the CL... top heavy with trunk and woefully underpowered.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I did ride it and saw the charm especially after putting some air in the tires. :classic_biggrin: I didn’t say it but $2,200 would have taken it home. ;)

They’re not as bad as people make them out to be. Obviously not an RT and not meant to be but as cruisers go a decent attempt from an existing platform. I had one for awhile mainly because the closest dealer (Daytona) was blowing them out a couple hundred over cost and I wanted to try it. Slow, somewhat cumbersome but went down the highway nice, I liked the look too, especially the brown metallic with tan seat. If you’re not in a hurry and like the cruiser riding position it’s a good alternative to the plethora of other metric cruisers.

image.jpeg.af3252b127d465d9273dfa125b8042d5.jpeg

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

1972 Ford 250 with camper.   When was the last time you had a truck with a shotgun rack?

00b0b_aEW75MYg0Vuz_07K0ak_1200x900.jpg

00j0j_dTbjIjnGviuz_0ak07K_1200x900.jpg

I worked on the Rosebud Indian Reservation in the late 70's.  Trucks with a shotgun and a rifle were everywhere, even in the high school parking lot.

I was riding in a friend's truck on US18 when he came to a fast stop in the middle of the highway, grabbed his rifle, used the hood as his bench rest, and ripped off a couple of shots at a coyote.  I'm sitting in the truck watching all this when he puts up the rifle back and explains that he can get $40 for a bitch pelt.

Dennis Andress
40 minutes ago, eddd said:

I worked on the Rosebud Indian Reservation in the late 70's.  Trucks with a shotgun and a rifle were everywhere, even in the high school parking lot.

I was riding in a friend's truck on US18 when he came to a fast stop in the middle of the highway, grabbed his rifle, used the hood as his bench rest, and ripped off a couple of shots at a coyote.  I'm sitting in the truck watching all this when he puts up the rifle back and explains that he can get $40 for a bitch pelt.

My high school memories are that in Texas you could always carry a shotgun but needed a hunting license to carry a rifle. 

4 minutes ago, JohnH said:

I’ll be darned. Had’nt heard of that one. I stand corrected.

Well just don’t ask me about sports teams (players names) and I won’t hold this against you! :classic_biggrin:

wow..........BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude needs to be a bit more upfront in his listings, in my opinion!

A bit subjective since I don’t have a real test. BMW loaned me a K 1600 for a week and my best friend rides an FJR. From the seat of my pants the 1600 wasn’t much quicker than my RT and the FJR runs off and hides from my RT

14 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Not Craigslist, but,.......Goodwill

2002 BMW R1200

You too can have an ugly bike

5971922517221loto.jpg18536012517317loto.jpg

Hey - that’s pretty cool. Too bad they didn’t include a pic of the leaking oil, but interesting that they used seemingly correct terminology. If it was local-ish I’d be willing to place a bid. 

The turn signal stems aren't broken, so that is a plus.   

The oil leak could be drive shaft seal on transmission.

ABS lights blinking?  Oh, nooo!  Could be low battery voltage or the fact they have not ridden it to complete the self-test.  :dontknow:

Not bad looking for the mileage.

Good find, though!

I did not realize people donated motorcycles to Goodwill.  Interesting.

12 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

The turn signal stems aren't broken, so that is a plus.   

The oil leak could be drive shaft seal on transmission.

ABS lights blinking?  Oh, nooo!  Could be low battery voltage or the fact they have not ridden it to complete the self-test.  :dontknow:

Not bad looking for the mileage.

Good find, though!

I did not realize people donated motorcycles to Goodwill.  Interesting.

I've seen some nice cars on goodwill, mostly junk cars, but there have been some diamonds  This is the third/fourth bike I've seen

• Like 1

I’d be all over it for that price! As a former member liked to call his (not his in photo) an RT Lite. :thumbsup:

image.jpeg.9d721491a1581a50cfbca73953b498b9.jpeg

• Like 1

Indeed - that would be hard (impossible?) to pass up if it weren't 2000 miles away from me. Assuming it's legit...someone should go buy it to find out!

11 hours ago, TEWKS said:

I’d be all over it for that price! As a former member liked to call his (not his in photo) an RT Lite. :thumbsup:

image.jpeg.9d721491a1581a50cfbca73953b498b9.jpeg

Ad gone, what was he asking? Did it have ABS. Year and mileage if you can remember.

The picture I posted wasn’t the bike for sale. I just used it for an example as how to make the R a little more distance friendly. The bike Hosstage posted was a 2002 with very low mileage (under 5K I believe) for $1,800 bucks. It’s like, heck I really don’t need one of those bikes but for that money! :yes:

• 2 weeks later...
Dennis Andress
On 11/10/2021 at 7:55 AM, elkroeger said:

89 TURBO K100 at auction

Bring a trailer

Turbocharged 1989 BMW K100RS

I had three K100 RSs. I think of them fondly but there is no way I'd go back.  I like it in white.

• Like 1