IGNORED

Great Weekend in College Football!

beemerman2k

after Tebow took 4 years to beat his 3 year SEC scoring record.

It was Mr. Walker's Rushing TD record...Jake.....After all Tebow is a quaterback not a running back... :grin: wanna add the passing TDs to the mix ???? He broke 50 in one year in his 2nd year and won the H. trophy......

He's still no Travis Prentice.

:)

Travis Prentice, Miami (Ohio) (1996-99): 73 career rushing touchdowns

Ricky Williams, Texas (1995-98): 72

Anthony Thompson, Indiana (1986-89): 64

Cedric Benson, Texas (2001-04): 64

Ron Dayne, Wisconsin (1996-99): 63

Eric Crouch, Nebraska (1998-01): 59

Marshall Faulk, San Diego State (1991-93): 57

Steve Owens, Oklahoma (1967-69): 56

Ken Simonton, Oregon Sate (1998-01): 56

Tony Dorsett, Pittsburgh (1973-76): 55

Chester Taylor, Toledo (1998-01): 55

DeAngelo Williams, Memphis (2002-05): 55

LaDainian Tomlinson, TCU (1997-00): 54

Dwone Hicks, Middle Tennessee (1999-02): 53

Chris Lemon, Nevada (1996-99): 52

But he will end up higher on the list.

I think Eric Crouch is #1 for QB's.

It's happened again. Alabama didn't lose, didn't play poorly, heck, didn't even play. Yet they drop a spot in the ever mysterious BCS poll. I grew up with this, but it's still frustrating.

On the one hand, I'm not all tied up in mid-season polls, but it's still hard to accept.

Please forgive me. My beloved RT is in the shop having it's FD replaced, & I have a severe cold & am heavily medicated. None the less, it hurts to see my Tide drop for no apparent reason.

Here's hoping they can make a statement against LSU.

I have a severe cold & am heavily medicated

Don't blame me.... you were fine when I left you Saturday.....

I know what it was !!! The cold icey fingers of ALL the GATOR FANS in Jax. Saturday sending THE chill of things to come for the missed placed Alabama fans living in Florida...

It's happened again. Alabama didn't lose, didn't play poorly, heck, didn't even play. Yet they drop a spot in the ever mysterious BCS poll. I grew up with this, but it's still frustrating.

On the one hand, I'm not all tied up in mid-season polls, but it's still hard to accept.

Please forgive me. My beloved RT is in the shop having it's FD replaced, & I have a severe cold & am heavily medicated. None the less, it hurts to see my Tide drop for no apparent reason.

It's called a missed opportunity. Texas showed their strength this week, but taking a week off, Alabama showed nothing after squeaking by TN. By the 8th game of the season, you shouldn't need 3 blocked FG to win a game as a #2 or #1 ... right?. Of wait, Iowa needs that every week...but of course it's a double standard for SEC teams because they are all so much better to to bottom.

Most other teams play a cream-puff on off week as a mid season tune-up. OSU for example used NM State for cannon fodder.

Strength of Schedule

(This is only w/games played so far, not ones to be played)

Ours will obviously go up w/Florida to play.

Interesting to see where some "ranked" teams are.

link

Texas 45

Florida 25

Alabama 41

ACC...looks whooooo's in 2nd place....may be in Chapel Hill this weekend.

COASTAL DIVISION

School Conference Pct. Overall Pct.

Georgia Tech 5-1 .833 8-1 .889

Duke 3-1 .750 5-3 .625

Miami 3-2 .600 6-2 .750

Virginia Tech 3-2 .600 5-3 .625

Virginia 2-2 .500 3-5 .375

North Carolina 1-3 .250 5-3 .625

SOS will help in conferences with a chamipnship game. But Iowa, for example was lucky enough to play the top 9 big-10 teams this year and the top 4 all on the road.

In comparison, Florida would need to play Alabama, LSU, Auburn and South Carolina all on the road or Alabama the same then take on another top 25 non-conference team at home.

Alabama at least played Virginia Tech as a NC opponent. Florida hasn't played NC teams of consequence. They needed to play at least a #2 or #2 PAc 10, Big 12 or even Big east or Big 10 school.

Just looking at Florida's schedule and results, other than pounding Georgia, Kentucky and 2 weak NS opponents, they have squeaked by on all of their important wins by 10 points of less. 2 of those games were at home aginst teams with records no better than Indiana or Mich. State and 1 of those games should have been a loss. South Carolina is their only strong opponent left.

Even Texas has a 3 point and a 10 point win (at home). The Oklahoma State win was closer than it seemed, if you consider the number of turnover OSU had and a fumble that was ruled forward progress, that could have been a big momentum shift.

When you look at the schedules and results of the top teams, I'm just not seeing why they are considered so much better than a team like Iowa. I didn't see Alabama rally against a 4-4 TN and score 28 points in the 4th quarter. Actually, have any of the top 3 teams scored 28 points in a single quarter against a .500 or better team???

Against ranked oppoents, Alabama has shown it has a strong defense and special teams, but hasn't scored any more point than Iowa on offense.

And to top it off, even if Iowa had beat NIU and Arkansas State by 20 points, I still guarantee they wouldn't be ranked #1. Even if they had beaten ALL of their opponents by 10 points or more, they still wouldn't be #1.

Come on let's stop the hate for the SEC....Sorry...we are proud that since 2003 we have adveraged 5 teams in the final BCS top 25 poll....Look at the power rankings for these teams in these years...you will find that most of the power rankings for these teams surpass other teams from other conferences even when the SEC team did not finish as high in the final poll as the others (non-SEC teams)

No hard feelings but as I stated on an earlier post... Would coaches from any other conference like to play all the SEC teams all the time like we do in our conference...I doubt it...

My guess is that someone from IWAH will talk about the thumping that UF got from the UI crowd a few years back in the Outback Bowl... :wave:

I guess that folks in other conferences (ACC excepted since the chicken crossed the road under coach Bow down) don't realize that for most SEC teams going to a bowl game OTHER than the championship is a disappointment, really little more than a way for the football programs to fund other sports and support such government programs as title IX, etc. :dopeslap:

We now return to your regularly schedule SEC haters... :rofl::grin:

I hope you have better luck this week with your FD than with your Crimson Tide...

I hope you have better luck this week with your FD than with your Crimson Tide...

That's one across the bow!

We'll see how this weekend plays out.

We're on a mission.

Even a GATOR would not mix FD and football in the same statement.. :eek:

Danny,

Let's hope that Spikes' thumb has recovered enough from the hurtin the Georgia player's eye put on it so he can manage to play in the second half of this weekend's game.

;)

Thanks tallman. I developed a SOSAT (Strength of Schedule Adjustment Tool), ran all the programs back thru the sausage grinder and it spit out this new top eight:

1. Alabama

2. Tennessee

3. UGA

4. Florida

5. Auburn

6. LSU

7. Arkansas

8. Mississippi

Is see the little bubble you live in has internet access. :grin:

I did a little research and found the following when SEC teams faced the following "good" NC opponents.

Georgia Lost to Oklahoma State but beat Arizona State (that's not sying a lot)

Tennesseee lost to UCLA

South Carilina beat NC State..but but an impressive 7-3 score.

Kentucky beat Louisville, but only by 4 pts.

Alabama beat Virgina Tech but only by 10 pts.

LSU beat Washington but only by 8 pts

Auburn beat West Virgina

Miss. State Lost to Houston and GA Tech

Arkansas beat Texas A&M

Virginia Tech is the win to a NC team in the BCS top 25. CAl, Georgia Tech and OK State are all losses to top 25 teams.

I'm still not seeing how they are so dominant other than getting expected wins against each other.

I guess we'll find out in the bowls.

motoguy

No arguments from me - just stirring up the bees. I was having so much fun writing that post I almost spewed diet coke on may keyboard after it had routed thru my nose!

It was actually historical success not 2009...

You guys enjoy your games this weekend. I'm cautiously optimistic about Bama. Hope it is low scoring because if it is a 2+ touchdown win my gut is that it would be going Bama's way.

Funny list, Hutch. I got through the first few and thought "What the , oh, wait... It's comedy." :)

Big game for you guys this weekend. I'll be watching that one to see who goes to the SEC championship game. I'm expecting a slug fest with Alabama winning a close one.

The Huskers host Oklahoma, which should be a big rivalry but this year it's lost some of it's shine. Our offense has been flat out terrible lately, and even Oklahoma limps into the game with the same 5-3 record we do. I have a little hope because our offense has been great in (very) brief spurts. Maybe we will raise our game this week.

I'm still not seeing how they are so dominant other than getting expected wins against each other.

Really? Care to re-think that position?

I'm not particularly happy about Awah's loss. I've got no beef against the Big-10.

It's just that...well...given your stabs at the SEC....

BTW, I can't take much more of this LSU BS. Let 'em hang around long enough.... :mad:

Looks like Brandon's thumb was in the eye of the SEC. He should have to sit out a game that counts. Vandy? Really? Ohhh, that's gonna hurt. rolleyes1.gif

Bama's defense does it again. And their offense is almost back on track. At least they scored a couple of TD's this time out.

But I must say, I'm not so confident they can beat Florida. Just hopefully optimistic.

For the record, I believe that was an LSU interception late in the fourth.

One way or the other, an SEC team is goin' to the Rose Bowl. :thumbsup:

Luck finally ran out on the Hawkeyes. Vandenburg couldn't dig out of Stanzi's hole, and dug and even bigger one.

I did hear that he hasn't even taken snaps with the 1st team, so he went in pretty much unpreparred and there wasn't much of a pssing game to fall back on. To Northwestern credit, they circled the wagons and played pretty good pass defense.

TO Vandenburg's credit, he did a good job staying mobile and avoiding the pass rush and throwing the ball away. It just seemed like he didn't have the timing down with the recievers. I look to him playing well against Ohio State. He'll at least have a full week of practice as the starter to work with hte 1st team recievers.

Danny,

You're right, it was a pick.

The game would've been a classic when LSU scored after that and then 'Bama went the distance to win at the end.

Congrats, not your fault the refs suck.

Tough one for the Hawkeyes.

Gutsy call by GT coach to go for it in overtime instead of tying the game with a short field goal.

Oregon loses to Stanford?

Gotta love Saturday's in the fall.

Bama's defense does it again. And their offense is almost back on track. At least they scored a couple of TD's this time out.

But I must say, I'm not so confident they can beat Florida. Just hopefully optimistic.

For the record, I believe that was an LSU interception late in the fourth.

One way or the other, an SEC team is goin' to the Rose Bowl. :thumbsup:

Congrats Huzband. Bama made plays we didn't make. No excuses.

And LSU made plays we didn't make. Ask my Wife, I was genuinely pee-ohed at halftime.

I think the game lived up to what it was made out to be. A nail-biter that was hard to predict.

Nice to see Corso get this one wrong. :grin:

oNE wORD ... "HAWKEYES // OUCH"

When the main offensive leader goes down - I guess you can expect what happened.

Me thinks their sand was outta the hour glass a coupla games ago.

Over-achievers, no doubt.

It was a nice run - and we'll see how they compare with OSU next weekend. Should/Could be a good game. Tough place to play though...drat it.!

aw well...

Partying in the Husker Nation tonight! Whoop whoop! Our offense still stinks but our defense is good enough to win games!

Nice win Red!

oNE wORD ... "HAWKEYES // OUCH"

When the main offensive leader goes down - I guess you can expect what happened.

Me thinks their sand was outta the hour glass a coupla games ago.

Over-achievers, no doubt.

It was a nice run - and we'll see how they compare with OSU next weekend. Should/Could be a good game. Tough place to play though...drat it.!

aw well...

Sorry John, but I do appreciate your team clearing out the number four spot for my Froggies! :grin:

I wouldn't worry, there'll be plenty of help with "slate cleaning".

Here's a friend offering something to use to keep that slate clean.

BLD058982.jpg

:/

Hopefully this won't be one of those games.

I'm tired of the outcomes being changed by the zebras.

It's not just them, although they have had the spotlight on them recently.

ACC refs are so baaad they make SEC one's look great.

:grin:

Among my favs are the 5th down (Big 8 wasn't it back then?)

to allow a Colorado win leading to National Championship

"The Fifth Down Game is the name of a college football game that included a play that the crew officiating the game permitted to occur in error. That play enabled the Colorado Buffaloes to defeat the Missouri Tigers by scoring a touchdown on the last play of their game on October 6, 1990. The ensuing controversy cast doubt on Colorado's claim to Division I-A's 1990 national championship, which it shares with the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets. It has been called one of the top memorable moments and blunders in college football history"

and the Doug Moseley ripoff FSU vs. UF.

1121fenner.jpg

SEC ref called this no TD.

:dopeslap:

I hope it is just the players today.

:thumbsup:

Tough one for the Hawkeyes.

:(

We lost the leading passer in the ACC laast week and started a Freshman who surprised a lot of people, including me.

We're back to 5-5 with a chance to keep the 27 year bowl streak intact.

Gators will finish the game with a win.

Best of all Stanford crushes the boyz of troy.

Go trees, or whatever they are now.

:clap:

Well, my season is long done. Michigan has lost 6 of its last 7, and the prospects for a win next weekend don't look too good (Buckeyes visit the Big House). Meanwhile, my 2nd favorite team got wiped off the rankings today by losing at the Coliseum by #25 Stanford. Their 3rd loss this fall, and their second highly embarrassing one (first being to unranked Washington Huskies).

You all enjoy the rest of the fall. I'll lurk here once in a while but I don't imagine I'll say much anymore :cry:

Florida, 'Bama and Texas now. This will be fun for me since I don't really have any skin in the game. My pick of the three? Alabama, baby. OK, I think I just resurrected my season! 'Bama baby! Roll Tide Roll! No sizzle with these boys, just good ole tough steak. Now that's old school :smile:

Our hometown hero Vandenberg put on a great display against a good defens, in a difficult envronment. There were mistakes, but also quite a few dropped passes. 2 for possible TD's.

Can't wait to see him in action next week against MN.

Florida, 'Bama and Texas now. This will be fun for me since I don't really have any skin in the game. My pick of the three? Alabama, baby. OK, I think I just resurrected my season! 'Bama baby! Roll Tide Roll! No sizzle with these boys, just good ole tough steak. Now that's old school

You're upset because I awarded you and your team for the BMWST awards.....Now FESS UP that's why you're picken Bama over the Gators..... :grin:... :rofl:

Now FESS UP that's why you're picken Bama over the Gators..... :grin:... :rofl:

Let beemerman2k pick Bama, he can't pick his nose without wiping it in the "L" column. Go Gators!

Ride Safe

Rideoften

Now FESS UP that's why you're picken Bama over the Gators..... :grin:... :rofl:

Let beemerman2k pick Bama, he can't pick his nose without wiping it in the "L" column. Go Gators!

Ride Safe

Rideoften

Hmm, I'm all for supporting one's team, and poking a bit of fun, firing one across the zebras bow, and the like.

Perhaps I miss the tone in which your comment was intended.

It seems a bit out of line, IMO.

James,

I feel your pain.

Hard times for some of us, but it seems some of us can still appreciate the game and the highs and lows w/out getting personal.

Best wishes.

Danny,

'Bama looked better than UF this weekend, but who knows what that'll mean in a few weeks.

Maybe we'll catch them looking ahead and only lose by 40.

:P

Archived