IGNORED

Great Weekend in College Football!

beemerman2k

If a Boise State can enter the tournament and defeat Texas Christian in the first round, Nebraska in the second round, and then Alabama for all the marbles, we wouldn't be having this discussion would we?

No, but "we" would be having a screaming fit. :grin:

Danny, if you notice my hypothetical places Alabama and Boise State in the big dance, that's because I am assuming 'Bama has already dispensed with the Longhorns, just like I fully expect them to do on Thursday night.

Now c'mon Iowa, hang on to your half time lead and get the Big 10 some more respect :thumbsup:

(is it me or is that halftime band, Kook and the Gang, only pretending to be playing their instruments? 'Cmon fellas, try not to make it so obvious! :rofl:

I want to say thanks to beemerman for starting an excellent thread that has entertained, frustrated and occupied us for the last several months.

And Matt - let's hear it...

I'd PM it Hutch, but I can't get banned this close to BRR announcements. The people want to know!

Beemerman, I'm back in Quincy next month. Don't we still owe each other a beer?

Hutch: thanks, but I started this thread with the intention of talking big time trash.

I was silenced by October :cry::rofl:

Matt, yes indeed. Please let me know when you'll be up! I regret not meeting you on your last trip this way.

oNE wORD ... H A W K E Y E S ... !!!

You're early... they don't play until tommorrow night. :grin:

A day later now, and they won the Orange Bowl with crushing defensive play. It can't be long now before hannabone posts this for the final time this season.

H

A

W

K

E

Y

E

S

!

iF wE can get QB Stanzi to play 4 quarters like he played that 1st quarter...we will be in the chips next year too.!

Threading the ball in where it shouldn't be. Brilliance then idiocy. Hey, he's a 19 yr old.

Defense - well, you saw a terrific performance THAT WILL BE REPEATED NEXT YEAR. Most of those hooligans are back for their senior/junior year. IF healthy - they'll be a team made up of this years' Nebraska's wonder-boy "SUH".

One Word .... H A W K E Y E S .... Bring it on.!

and Texas doesn't get a free shot tobeat Nebraska,

Just to be fair, and I am not a longhorn fan, Texas had lady luck on thier side when there was time left on the clock after McCoy's pass hit the ground. So they got another play. They may have been VERY lucky, but were not given any breaks on that last field goal. There just happen to be some time left on the clock.

True, but wasn't the kick-off going out of bounds a very, very lucky break as well. It shortened the field and kept the clock stopped since several seconds would have been used on a return.

Great defensive performance by Iowa. GT only had 2 long drives out of I think 10 or 11 posessions. The offense did just enough as usual, generating a positive 17 points. I credit the offensive line finally stepping up more than I do Stanzi.

If Stanzi can stop throwing so many picks and have a quicker release, Iowa could do something really special next season. Iowa should have been up 21-0 or even 24-0 after the 1st half.

as for GT... well, yet another hot shot offensive scheme bites the dust when it faces a "real", large, well disciplined defense. Georgia shut it down, and so did Miami. It's too 1 dimensional. When they needed quick scores, they didn't have any passing game to speak of.

actually their system worked... when Iowa defensive lineman were actually getting blocked, rather than shedding the block and getting to the ball carrier.

Great game. Way to go Hawks!

Whew, I've been away from the site for a couple weeks! Stuck in a snowdrift in Nebraska for part of it.

Congrats to Iowa last night. Of course, I liked GT's option based offense this year because it really brings me back to the glory days of the Husker's power ground game, but you are correct that it's tough to come from behind and get some quick points when you need them. But on those special years when you have all the right horses, there's nothing like being able to cram the ball down the opponent's throat for 4 quarters; when the D knew exactly what you were running and they still can't stop it.

And BTW- I haven't read anything here about Texas Tech's coach Mike Leach getting fired. I've been following that story because I think he's a pretty interesting guy and a great offensive mind.

ESPN has really been doing a smear job on the guy. Of course, they are circling the wagons around their commentator Craig James and his son. ESPN's coverage has been really biased. They didn't focus on the trainers and coaches statements. Instead they run the crawl repeating the kid's claims about being locked in an electrical closet and some lineman's statement that he's happy the coach is gone. Well, that closet turned out to be an unlocked press room bigger than a garage. ESPN never reported about the assitant coach's and other players statements about how the kid was an entitled slacker who repeated faked injury to get out of workouts.

In my opinion, here's the short version of the story: Coach tells young man with history of laying out of workouts that if he is too injured to practice he needs to stay in a safe, cool, dark place during practice rather than going back to his dorm room to play playstation with his buddies. Young man complains to his ESPN analyst father who then makes a huge news story with half facts. Texas Tech siezes the opportunity to fire a coach whom they have had contentious relations with since last year's contract renegotiations, and convienently fire him the day before he is due an $800,000 bonus.

I don't know the details, but I am absolutely inclined to see things the way Husker Red portrays them. The only reason this story is even news is because it's Craig James son, but there are countless questions that remain unanswered in all of this:

- did the coach know the player was "injured"?

- did the coach treat him in a way that is unusual?

- why did the player carry out the coaches unreasonable request? Why didn't he simply walk to the AD's office and file a complaint of some sort? Were that my son, I'd say, "fine, we have an issue with the coach, but if what he asked you to do was so unreasonable, why did you do it? You're gonna have to learn to stand up like a man and take account of your actions. None of this, 'I was just following orders nonsense'!"

- what coach is going to want this kid on his team?

None of this means the coach in question is above reproach, but it does suggest that the only reason anyone cares is because this is Craig James son. And I like Craig James; his team analysis calls things as he sees it. I wish him and his son all the best, but I was a bit disturbed by this story as well.

Iowa played like champions, congrats.

Leach was given a chance to minimize the problem.

To his credit, or not, he didn't.

Money appears to be a factor,

:/

Texas game, beating a dead horse, if we accept there was time left becasue replay showed clock at :01 seconds when ball hit the ground, what do we do with every other pass play in the game?

Go back and add 1 or more seconds to the clock?

Human factor and the rules say the clock isn't stopped until signal from ref.

If the ref watched the ball hit the ground, signals, and then the timekeeper stops the clock, there's no time left. Not possible to doa all that in 1 second.

I don't think that one pass play should be treated differently than all the other pass plays in the game.

Coach Bowden will lose a bunch of wins now that the NCAA has denied FSU's appeal.

:(

Not many games left and my dog has a chance to finish second in the pool.

:grin:

And BTW- I haven't read anything here about Texas Tech's coach Mike Leach getting fired. I've been following that story because I think he's a pretty interesting guy and a great offensive mind.

ESPN has really been doing a smear job on the guy. Of course, they are circling the wagons around their commentator Craig James and his son. ESPN's coverage has been really biased. They didn't focus on the trainers and coaches statements. Instead they run the crawl repeating the kid's claims about being locked in an electrical closet and some lineman's statement that he's happy the coach is gone. Well, that closet turned out to be an unlocked press room bigger than a garage. ESPN never reported about the assitant coach's and other players statements about how the kid was an entitled slacker who repeated faked injury to get out of workouts.

In my opinion, here's the short version of the story: Coach tells young man with history of laying out of workouts that if he is too injured to practice he needs to stay in a safe, cool, dark place during practice rather than going back to his dorm room to play playstation with his buddies. Young man complains to his ESPN analyst father who then makes a huge news story with half facts. Texas Tech siezes the opportunity to fire a coach whom they have had contentious relations with since last year's contract renegotiations, and convienently fire him the day before he is due an $800,000 bonus.

I think you nailed it on the head. That being said, a good head coach knows how to play politics and avoid such situations. It's part of being a head coach. Otherwise, you should stay an offensive coordinator or ther assitant coach. it doesn't matter how great of an employee you are, if you can't make your boss happy or pi** him off, he'll find someone. EVERYONE is replaceable at some level. I think Leach forgot that.

Leach should have either cut the kid off the team, or made him sit on the bench, but the results of his actions were somewhat predictible given the athlete's connections.

DavidEBSmith
Leach was given a chance to minimize the problem.

To his credit, or not, he didn't.

Money appears to be a factor,

This is an interesting take on the money aspect. It has links to Leach's original contract and the 2009 extension. When you compare the two, it's interesting to see what changed and what didn't, and you wonder why one side or the other wanted it changed. You also see that being a head coach is a pretty good gig.

That was an interesting article, EB. Doesn't it seem the university president overstepped his authority by firing Leach so quickly? When was the investigation? He was judge, jury and executioner. I suspect Leach's ego refused to let him bow to the university's pressure and then the president's ego forced him to fire Leach for insubordination (under whatever pretext they would call it later, but he was going to be fired.)

Not that I completely defend Leach here. I have no doubt he was putting the kid in that room as hazing/punishment to humiliate him. Leach may be a bully who yells at players. I have no problem with coaches breaking kids down, but they need to build them back up again and I don't know if he was doing the latter.

Leach probably could have diffused this situation, but he stood his ground. I'm not sure if that makes me respect him more or less. Probably more. But at the end of the day you can't be too surprised when you get fired for arguing with the boss.

It was an interesting article which makes me wonder...

Why did the university put that langauage in? Was it possible their was a history? Previous complaints? Could it be the Bobby Knight clause?

Whew. Lubbock has been in total meltdown mode since this started.

Here's one of the main Tech discussion boards:

Scout page

There's page after page of conjecture, opinion, speculation, and so on.

The relationship between Leach and the administration became toxic, and the Adam James incident gave them something to act on. After that, this thing has taken on guite the life of its' own.

Oh, get on that website at the risk of wasting a whole lot of time. :/

Should TCU have had a shot at a title? Definitely.

Would they win? Not likely.

Really?

Out of the bowl games played thus far with two ranked opponents, the underdog (based on their rankings) has won 80% of them by my count.

Including my alma mater, who beat a very good TCU team.

I heard an ESPN moron actually say words to the effect of: If BSU was a better opponent TCU would have risen to the occasion and won the Fiesta Bowl.

WHAT what what?

Wow Darrell, TT interviewed Tommy Tuberville?!?! That would be a big hire. I think he was a great coach. As a Husker fan I hope that doesn't happen.

On to the big game! Vegas line has Alabama by 4. I'll take Texas and the points. My Husker D put a scare into Texas so I bet they've been really focused leading up to the big game. Bama already had their big win with Florida. Hook 'em horns!

cheerleaders_Texas_Football.jpg

BET Husker Red! Purely for braggin' rights as you live too far away for me to collect on the 2005 R1200RT :tongue:

**** ARE YOU PUMPED FOR THE GAME TONIGHT?!?!?! ****

Yeah Baby! Contests like this one is what it's all about :clap:

Really?

Are you saying really?

to TCU getting a shot at the title

or TCU not likely to win?

Being an underdog is motivating, for sure.

You may have missed my post above where I cited the BSt win over Ok as an example of why the little guys should get their chances when they earn them, so I think we're sort of agreeing?

But, no way TCU beats Florida, or Alabama this year, IMO.

Now Boise State, maybe they could do it.

;)

You're on Beemerman. I'll even put up a fine Nebraska steak next time you're in the Atlanta area (although that offer stands win or lose.) :)

I look forward to a great meal with you Husker Red. Great steaks and lots O' brew!

Wow, 'Bama looked terrible on the opening drive.

I want 'Bama to win with Colt McCoy playing, not with a freshman QB in there. I hope McCoy can get back in there.

But, no way TCU beats Florida, or Alabama this year, IMO.

Now Boise State, maybe they could do it.

;)

I agree, Boise State can do anything. :-)

But TCU was good. Their defense is tough. I think on any given day, they might have had a shot to beat anyone in college football. It's tough to rule out any top 10 college team. That's one of the nice things about college ball if you ask me.

now, Texas???? Overrated.

Mark Ingram will get the game ball, but I would give it to that defense. They stepped up BIG whenever they had to, forcing turnovers and disorienting the Texas offense.

Would have been far more interesting with Colt McCoy in there, but that's the game of football; if you're entire game plan rests on one person, then by definition your team is highly compromised.

Goodnight everybody!

Congrats big time Danny! I think it's safe to post now :smile:

I enjoyed the game and am (grudgingly) glad 'bama won.

What was the deal with the father charged/indicted on money laundering? I thought I heard that was Mark Ingram's father? Is that true?

I enjoyed the game and am (grudgingly) glad 'bama won.

What was the deal with the father charged/indicted on money laundering? I thought I heard that was Mark Ingram's father? Is that true?

quite a while back. he's the ex- NY Giant wide receiver. He reported to the clink one day late so as to watch his son in the SEC champ game. in deep sh*t.

Wow...

Good game nonetheless, Gilbert did a respectable job of keeping his team in it for getting tossed into a championship game.

:thumbsup: Congrats to the Tide and their fans. Ingram is a BEAST, and his offensive linemen were making some nice holes.

I feel bad for McCoy. This was his opportunity for a huge career game and he never got the chance. The game would have been more exciting with him in there.

Good game TIDE...Good game Texas....Congrats...Danny now you can take a breath again....

New bone to pick....Final BCS rankings....How does TCU and Cinn. with 12-1 records stay ahead of Florida when Cinn. lost to Florida? never mind just realized the BCS does not have a ranking after the bowls are played....

Beemerman.....you now have a calling on this board.....Starting the new thread on this topic for next season...It has been enjoyable and fun reading and posting to it all season....

Anyone trash talking already? :eek:

I feel bad for Texas. They had a god game plan and made a lot of great defensive stops amd special teams...wow. 2 recovered kick-offs and an interception on a fake punt!!! I haven't seen that in a while. I think they represented well and showed they deserved to be there. They got within 3 point sand had a good chance to win the game with their back-up QB. But they had too many turnovers and the offensive line could stop the Bama pass rush.

Crap!!, now we have to hear for another 12 months how superior the SEC is. At least it looks like the Big 10 and Big 12 will have some strong teams to contest them next year. But bama looks ot create a dynasty and Saban is a coach that CAN deliver.

But you have to admit... bouncing that kick-off off the bama player...that was a thing of beauty! I'm not sure if that was intentional or it was supposed to be a squib-kick. the pooch kick in the 1st waurter that was recovered was a great heads-up play as well. I wonder if more teams having seen those plays, will try it next season. I'd sure give up 10-15 yards of field position if I had a solid chance to recover the ball once every 4 or 5 kicks.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

What else can I say? The game was just about what I expected, except for Colt getting hurt. As the #1 Tide fan here, let me go on record saying I was truly sorry he couldn't return. I wanted our best to play their best. Then again, it could have been 14-0 in a big hurry. Bama dodged a couple of big bullets early. Texas played well in spite of the long faces going in at the half. And Gilbert earned a lot of respect for his performance, even with the mistakes. He threw a couple of perfect strikes when they needed it, & for a while I was getting worried. He'll be a QB to be reckoned with in the future.

Frankly though, I'm glad it's over. As confident as I've been all season, there were too many highly stressful moments. But I don't expect next season to be any easier.

Especially with that big target of pre-season #1 they'll have on their back. (Smack talk on :grin:)

ROLL TIDE!!!!

ahtide.jpg

Beemerman,

Whenever you feel it is appropriate would your start:

Great Weekend in College Football! v2010?

I am glad this has been such an enjoyable thread, but that was not my intent when I started it. I was somehow hopeful that Michigan would give me reason to talk BIG TRASH! In fact, I was planning on being so extremely mouthy that the admins would have to lock this thread down and ban any discussion of college football!

But 1-6 Illinois changed those plans :cry:

Let me make a suggestion: how about the guy whose team wins the National Championship be given the honors of kicking off the discussion in the fall? This is his hour, so let's let him enjoy the sunshine while it lasts.

Danny, Matt, Husker Red, you guys are very graceful winners. If Michigan was doing half as well as your teams are I would have been unstoppable. You would have thought that Muhammad Ali, the "Louiville Lip", had taken over my keyboard and was back on the scene full of life and vigor! As things stand, however, even the mere mention of Appalachian State football brings fear to my heart :rofl: And UCONN football opens their season at Michigan in the fall, and I'm actually worried :eek:

So I suggest Danny kick things off in the fall.

It is fun, however, to go back and read some of the comments written in this thread at its beginning:

Michigan won and Ohio State lost. Great weekend in College Football

I don't think this is one of the bigger years for the South Eastern conference...

Michigan will find a way to lose very soon but much better start than last year

*** ROLL TIDE ROLL *** Congrats Danny :thumbsup:

You think I'm going to volunteer for a four month bashing? Well, I do hang out with Matt, & get it 12 months of the year anyways. :grin:

The one thing that stood out to me last night was how good it was to watch two class acts that respected each other. No head bobbing trash talk, no standing over the guy you just leveled, but rather helping each other up, & helmet slaps for a good play. Some of the new-comers could learn a few things from that.

Congrats Danny.

:clap:

I think it's just about time to open up the new thread.

I'll say this much, if the 'Bama QB doesn't lose a game next year (hasn't lost in high school or college) I'll wear a 'Bama jersey if you buy it Danny.

:lurk:

I'll say this much, if the 'Bama QB doesn't lose a game next year (hasn't lost in high school or college) I'll wear a 'Bama jersey if you buy it Danny.

He should have some older 1992 National Championship shirts left cuz he's getting the New 2009 Championship shirt....Have you seen it yet?

760252598_98bAY-O.jpg

Sorry, could not help it.....

Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and again...

I was a good soldier for my conference, I wanted the guys who ruined my season (the KY wildcats!!! or, @#$%^%## Bama) to win so the conference was better regarded. But damn!

Can we finally go back to talking about something important?

I love you like a brother Danny, but Gooooooooooooooooooooo Gators!

299222815_d59bbad420.jpg

James, I'll be glad to have that beer in a couple weeks, just pick a spot and any day but that Thursday and I'm in!

Hey Fellas, I was just thinking of the new College Football 2010 thread, and all future initial threads on this topic. The person whose honor is to kick off the topic, since his/her team is the new National Champion, must include the following in the new, opening post:

- predictions on each Div 1 major conference's champion (ACC, Big East, Big 10, Big 12, Conference USA, Mid-American, Mountain West, PAC 10, SEC, Sun Belt, Western Athletic, Independents)

- predictions on the next national champion

In other words, an ESPN commentator level analysis of the coming football season. Debating these issues should keep us all busy while we wait for the real games to begin.

Also, opining on these subjects gives the poster an opportunity to flex their intellectual muscles on the subject, and it gives the rest of us a hook from which to laugh our butts off when the predicted national champion eventually loses at home to a podunk, little league, local community college football team! 'Cause more often than not, you know that is going to happen :rofl:

Archived