IGNORED

Great Weekend in College Football!

beemerman2k

Michigan is finally back on the college football map with a win over Notre Dame at the Big House. What a game it was, too! Came down to the final play; when the clock ran out of time, it was Michigan 38, Notre Dame 34. In my view, and I am as rabid a Michigan fan as you're gonna meet, Michigan won because the game was in Ann Arbor. Having said that, Tate Forcier, Michigan's QB, was phenomenal. Jimmy Clausen, ND's QB was incredible, but we all expected that. Forcier is the new kid on the block for sure.

And...Ohio State lost!!! USC actually had the gonads to show up at the Horse Shoe with a freshman quarterback! That should have been taken by the Buckeyes as nothing less than an insult. Yet the Trojans came out of there with a win. Unreal.

Michigan won and Ohio State lost. Great weekend in College Football :thumbsup:

Too bad Tennessee's offense didn't show up... they handed the game to UCLA... which means we are going to have our work cut out for us against Florida next week... sigh...

Georgia squeaked by South Carolina... was there any defense in that game ???

I don't think this is one of the bigger years for the South Eastern conference... They have some good players, but I think they need a little work to compete... even LSU didn't romp over Vanderbilt as expected...

Regards -

-Bob

Oh yea it was!!!

I only saw the highlights to the UofM game. What a great last shot to the corner of the endzone!!

M Go Blue!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was at my brother in laws tonight and he is a USC fan so we did watch that game. OSU was the better team all the way up to the 4th quarter when something happened to USC and they took their final drive and rammed it down OSU's throat and marched down to a great ending and a win.

I love any team playing against OSU so it was a great finish!

Oh and just to be sure -

M GO BLUE!!!!!!!!!!

Yep. Phenomenal game. And like you said, the good guys won.

The Michigan State / Central Michigan Game was also an amazing game with a crazy ending; Chippewa scores with little time left to get to 26-27, goes for two to win, fails on the two point conversion, on-side kick is successful - with a runback no less, then a missed field goal - but the Spartans were off-sides, then a made field goal for the win.

I root for the Spartans when they aren't playing Michigan, but, the Chippewas deserved that one. Great and exciting football.

Other than U of M it wasn't a great weekend for big ten football.

Oregon beat Purdue

Indiana almost lost to Western MI

Fresno State beat WI

Northwestern barley got by Eastern MI

My favorite is Oak State losing to U of H. Our local folks have been hyping OSU for weeks. Then to lose to a commuter school is great.

Even in the football hinterlands: My alma mater eeked out a 1 point win when Weber State fumbled inside the Colorado State 10, trying to set up what would most likely have been a game-winning FG with less than a minute left. Stuff like this is almost enough to get me to start paying for TV again.

Michigan is finally back on the college football map with a win over Notre Dame at the Big House. What a game it was, too! Came down to the final play; when the clock ran out of time, it was Michigan 38, Notre Dame 34. In my view, and I am as rabid a Michigan fan as you're gonna meet, Michigan won because the game was in Ann Arbor. Having said that, Tate Forcier, Michigan's QB, was phenomenal. Jimmy Clausen, ND's QB was incredible, but we all expected that. Forcier is the new kid on the block for sure.

And...Ohio State lost!!! USC actually had the gonads to show up at the Horse Shoe with a freshman quarterback! That should have been taken by the Buckeyes as nothing less than an insult. Yet the Trojans came out of there with a win. Unreal.

Michigan won and Ohio State lost. Great weekend in College Football :thumbsup:

...aND tHE Iowa Hawkeyes took down those pesky Iowa State Clowns...I, I, I mean "Clones. 35-3 KATN......

Don't forget CMU beating Mich State yesterday.

Yeah, the Gators cruised to another 50 point win. We'll see what happens against TN next week

Uhh Whip, I'll take Wisconsin and 1 in that game for a $100...

:eek:

:grin:

We survived a monsoon, short turnaround from devastaing loss to the 'Canes and barely squeaked by a spirited underdog.

Travel to BYU next week and it could be a long nite as the look like a great team this year.

No tears here for OSU.

Michigan will find a way to lose very soon but much better start than last year.

One SEC, one Mountain West, may be the only unbeatens at end of year.

But, maybe USC will get there too.

USC vs BYU for it all?

"Yeah, the Gators cruised to another 50 point win."

They should be embarrassed to even report those scores to the newspapers....the team they beat last week lost to WOFFORD!!!! this week. :)

While I was heartbroken with the outcome, that Miami @ Florida State game was a great one, too.

Is it me or do the defenses look pathetic this year? Michigans secondary stinks! -- or is it just that Jimmy Clausen is that good. I wasn't impressed with either defenses in that Miami/Florida State game. USC/OSU? Much better defensive performance in general from both teams, I thought.

Here's a crazy thought: you think Michigan will end up in the top 25 after yesterday's performance :rofl: ? Hey, crazier things have happened, y'know. Still, it would be great to see Michigan in the rankings again in what seems like an eternity!

Whoa, just read this on Yahoo news:

"Michigan, unranked all of last season while finishing 3-9, is No. 25 in The Associated Press college football poll released Sunday."

Wow, ranked #25. I'll take it!

Of course, you can't believe everything you read on the Internet :Cool:

"Here's a crazy thought: you think Michigan will end up in the top 25 after yesterday's performance rofl ? Hey, crazier things have happened, y'know. Still, it would be great to see Michigan in the rankings again in what seems like an eternity!"

Why not? Miami went into the top 25 after beating FSU who was lower ranked than Notre Dame.

Other than U of M it wasn't a great weekend for big ten football.

While the Big 10 is down these days, it's still full of teams that will take you out if you're not on your game.

OSU and Penn State, of course, everyone knows about. Michigan would do quite well to get past either of these teams.

But other awfully dangerous teams include:

- Wisconsin (a powerhouse team playing under the radar...for now)

- Illinois (on a tear again)

- Iowa (seems down of late, but they always give Michigan fits)

- Minnesota (Gophers seem to lack any respect for Big Blue, too)

At #25, the polls have Michigan on probation. They so much as sneeze and they're out. Any of those 4 could give Michigan a terrible cold.

Why not? Miami went into the top 25 after beating FSU who was lower ranked than Notre Dame.

Miami winning at Florida State was an achievement. Michigan hasn't done anything like that yet.

And let's not forget the beat-down Montana State put on Dixie State.... 23-20. I'd never even heard of Dixie State. It's in Utah, apparently. I probably mistook their campus for a La Quinta Inn off I-15. They're in the Best Western Conference, or Pacific West or something like that.

MSU's supposed to be a contender in the Big Sky conference this year, but after losing 44-3 to Michigan State (no one expected a win, but 44-3.... really?!) and beating a school like Dixie State by a field goal, I don't expect much of a season from the 'Cats.

I hate seeing U. of Montana and Crappalachian State getting all the glory in the Championship Subdivision.

Marty, after what Miami accomplished on the road, I think their message is, "we are back"!

What I mean to say is this: Miami beat Florida State on the road at Tallahasee where as Michigan had the luxury of being at home. Now if Michigan manages to win at Penn State later this fall, that will be an achievement (well, it would actually be an achievement regardless of where they played :Cool:).

I think USC is the school to watch now. They are on the road for 2 weeks in a row as they face Cal and then Notre Dame. They make it past those two teams, and it's USC vs Florida/Texas for all the marbles. But what really impresses me about the Trojans is that this QB they have, Barkley, is just a freshmen. And he just won the toughest game he's likely to face this side of Bowl Season. Which means that the next few years are going to be painful ones for the teams that play SC.

USC will crush everyone, then lose 12-6 to a Pop Warner team, then crush everyone else. Top 3 again. Sigh. But that Frosh QB showed some promise!

But what really impresses me about the Trojans is that this QB they have, Barkley, is just a freshmen.

I was more impressed by Forcier, also a freshman, but both seem poised for big seasons and big careers.

USC will crush everyone, then lose 12-6 to a Pop Warner team, then crush everyone else. Top 3 again. Sigh. But that Frosh QB showed some promise!

I know. Fortunately, they play all the likely "Pop Warner" teams at The Colusium this fall (Oregon St., Stanford, UCLA) -- although didn't Stanford beat them at USC's home a season or two ago?

SC plays on the road against Cal and then Notre Dame, then they get a "break" and face Oregon State at home, before they hit the road for another 2 consecutive games against Oregon and Arizona State. That Oregon State game at home poses the danger of SC looking past it and not taking it seriously as they prepare for Oregon.

UCLA: may not be such a "Pop Warner" team this fall. They just won on the road over Tennessee. You gotta be a reasonbly good team to do that, even these days.

I was more impressed by Forcier, also a freshman, but both seem poised for big seasons and big careers.

Forcier is awesome. I expect great things from Michigan so long as they can protect this kid. Having said that, Notre Dame, as good as they are, is no Ohio State. Barkely faced a much tougher opponent than Forcier did yesterday. As much as I love Big Blue, I really wouldn't have expected them to beat Ohio State as of yesterday. Hopefully, by seasons end, they will be prepared for that great, annual matchup.

Is it me or do the defenses look pathetic this year?

Tennessee's defense was the only thing that kept them in the game... their offense kept turning over the ball within field goal range...

As for the Florida game... I am just hoping they put in a different quarterback... so maybe... just maybe we can hold onto the ball a little longer and get a little yardage through the air... otherwise you will see Florida returning interceptions and fumble recoveries for a lot of defensive points...

As for the defense next week... that will be a tough challenge keeping Florida's offensive scoring opportunities down...

Regards -

-Bob

It's always a good weekend when there is college football. :clap:

your team winning is a bonus.

On one hand, I fully agree with you. On the other, no way.

When Michigan loses, especially a game they needed to win or should have won, I get into a pretty deep funk. For the rest of the week, ESPN will be showing reruns from the lowlights of the game. Then I gotta hear it from all my friends, "wow Dude, what happened to Michigan? Lee Corso actually laughed at them on national television, man." I mean I loath college football, want no part of it, disavow it, and walk away -- sometimes for a whole week!

But somehow, I manage to be right back into it by next Saturday :smile:

It's always a good weekend when there is college football. :clap:

your team winning is a bonus.

On one hand, I fully agree with you. On the other, no way.

When Michigan loses, especially a game they needed to win or should have won, I get into a pretty deep funk. For the rest of the week, ESPN will be showing reruns from the lowlights of the game. Then I gotta hear it from all my friends, "wow Dude, what happened to Michigan? Lee Corso actually laughed at them on national television, man." I mean I loath college football, want no part of it, disavow it, and walk away -- sometimes for a whole week!

But somehow, I manage to be right back into it by next Saturday (or Tuesday some games, Wednesday once in a while a game, but definitely by Thursday night's game) :smile:

Fixed for you.

Can't talk college football without bayoubengal jumping in. I was in BTR Saturday night for LSU - Vandy. My tickets have been in the family for 52 years. Folklore has it that it never rains in Tiger stadium. But man, it misted like hell!!! We were hoping to be back among the elite after a 5 loss year last season. Despite the current 7/9 rankings, we are not back. We'll be lucky to be in the polls when the season ends. Congrats to ULL and Houston for getting big wins, and hats off to Fresno State for having the guts to go anywhere anytime...

Sorry Buckeye fans - I was pulling for you (or against USC). And I didn't look for Notre Dame in the polls but my assumption is that with a loss they will only moveup a few spots instead of the giant leaps they get for winning. Lou, where are you?

I know playing the "lil sisters of the poor" does not make for good football watching...but the tuneups are over with and the Vols are are next on the CHOMPING Block....so..........GO GATORS...

Hopefully Tebow and the gang will be there to see you guys at the end of the year to open up another can of GATOR CHOMP !!!! just for you......... :grin::D:Cool:

Lou Holtz is long gone and ND hasn't been the same since.

I hated Michigan having to play ND back in those days, but I had (and still have) a tremendous amount of respect for Lou Holtz. He's a real competitor, an excellent head coach, and an outstanding individual. Now, I never understood the controversy that surrounded that program as of when Holtz left. Anyone care to brief me on what happened?

As much as I hate Ohio State, I feel the same way about their head coach, Jim Tressell, too. First class act :thumbsup:

Agree about Jim Tressell. World class guy. My comment on where is Lou was more of a jab for Lou the sportscaster. He makes rediculous picks always in favor of ND. He even picked ND to get "UPSET" by UF in the BCS championship! :)

He was MIA Saturday evening...

Iowa pounded Iowa State, and our local homegrown QB, James Vandenberg from Keokuk, got to take a few snaps near the end. I was out of town and missed the game, but he was 2 for 3 with one 35yd pass. Not a bad start. Sounds like he might be their #2 QB.

Good to see U of M rise from the ashes of last season. While I did enjoy their collapse more than a little (being a MSU grad after all), it's embarrasing for the Big Ten to have one of it's major players get pounded by so many low ranked out of conference teams. Plus, the state of Michigan could use a little good news these days.

Some great games scheduled for this weekend, folks!

Beginning tonight at 7:30PM EST

14 Georgia Tech @ 20 Miami

Some other games of note that could be interesting in that "upset Saturday College Football" fashion:

10 Boise State @ Fresno State

24 UNC @ E Carolina

19 Nebraska @ 13 Virginia Tech (KOLASSAL!)

Tennessee @ 1 Florida

Florida State @ 7 BYU (UPSET?)

Texas Tech @ 2 Texas (UPSET?)

I like Boise State, UNC (although all bets are off here), Nebraska (VT is going to be fighting for dear life as they already have one loss), Florida (remember when this was a huge game?), Florida State (yes, I'm calling the upset here), and Texas (although don't be surprised if there's an upset).

Should be a good weekend for sure!

I'm pretty excited about the Nebraska - VT game. Our program is improving and this game will be a great measuring stick. This could be the signature win we need to really feel like were back on track. Our team is really young, so it will be interesting to see how they do on the road against a good team. I like the direction Coach Pelini has our team going, and I think next year we'll really be good. Of course, winning this year would be even better. :)

I'm pretty excited about the Nebraska - VT game. Our program is improving and this game will be a great measuring stick. This could be the signature win we need to really feel like were back on track. Our team is really young, so it will be interesting to see how they do on the road against a good team. I like the direction Coach Pelini has our team going, and I think next year we'll really be good. Of course, winning this year would be even better. :)

The couple that we're friends with is skipping going up to the Iowa agame to watch the Nebraska game on TV at home. My wife is going with his wife to Iowa City instead. That leaves me with solo babysitting duty with our 4 month old. Maybe I'll take her over to our friends house and all 3 of use can watch the game. She likes watching football and he loves babies.

They are family friends with the Iowa back-up quaterback...but when you're a Nebraska grad, I guess you have your priorities. :)

Nice n Easy Rider

Biggest upset of the weekend? Duke over Kansas (22). Duke is due for a big win and Kansas is 3-16 against ACC teams. And Cutcliffe has trained some big-play quarterbacks.

OK, maybe wishful thinking but we have to have something to keep us going until B-ball season. :grin:

That leaves me with solo babysitting duty with our 4 month old. Maybe I'll take her over to our friends house and all 3 of use can watch the game. She likes watching football and he loves babies.

Heh heh, my wife has told me it's NOT called babysitting when I'm watching my own child, it's just called being a parent. I say, "Yes Mam. That's what I meant." I love spending time with my young children, but my football watching time has really taken a beating. However, for Husker football games my wife understands and tries to give me a little consideration. :grin:

Florida State (yes, I'm calling the upset here)

In years past, and if it were at FSU, I'd probably tend to hold a fatalistic view and agree with you, but BYU doesn't lose at home. Especially against a team from sea level that is on the rocks this year.

I'll be surprised if this one isn't a blowout (in BYU's favor). I'll go ahead and call that the TT/Texas score will be closer than BYU's. (Though my co-worker who is a former LB for TT might disagree...)

But then again, BYU's slogan isn't "there's always next year" for nothing...

(I would like to see TN keep it close. I don't think they will as most Gators seemingly have had this date circled on their calendar since Kiffin's poking of the sleeping bear...)

OK, maybe wishful thinking but we have to have something to keep us going until B-ball season. :grin:

Does anyone outside the Triangle know that Duke even has a football team? :grin:(UNC Class of '85)

I would like to see TN keep it close.

NOPE NOPE NOPE.........I want our cheating National Championship Winning Coach at the end of a good CHOMPING to sing....."Rocky Top you'll always be GATOR BAIT to me" Good ole Rocky Top...Lost another one to me...lost another one to me...............

Sorry, for that... lost it for a moment...... I want a good close exciting game with Florida winning in the last 2 seconds of the game.....

Ahhhhh.........who am I kidding....Gators beat the hell out of Tenneessee...........

Florida State (yes, I'm calling the upset here)

In years past, and if it were at FSU, I'd probably tend to hold a fatalistic view and agree with you, but BYU doesn't lose at home. Especially against a team from sea level that is on the rocks this year.

I'll be surprised if this one isn't a blowout (in BYU's favor). I'll go ahead and call that the TT/Texas score will be closer than BYU's. (Though my co-worker who is a former LB for TT might disagree...)

But then again, BYU's slogan isn't "there's always next year" for nothing...

Halfway through the post and he's already waffling :grin:

Upset, I'll take an upset, yeah that's the ticket... I was outta there before anyone had heard of Bobby Bowden. Back then it was basketball, we got nipped by UCLA for the national championship. They had a big red-headed guy. :)

Nice n Easy Rider

Does anyone outside the Triangle know that Duke even has a football team? :grin:(UNC Class of '85)

Hey, how many Rose Bowls has UNC played in? :grin: Duke played in the 1942 Rose Bowl (held in Durham) in 1942.

Of course, we lost 20-16 to Oregon. :(

I still pine for the 'Noles of the 90's. Bowden and his boys rolled in those days. I'd like to see one more major rally for him before he retires.

The Florida rivalries are super entertaining if you're not from the area :Cool:

... most Gators seemingly have had this date circled on their calendar since Kiffin's poking of the sleeping bear...)

Bama, too.

And didn't you mean sleeping Bear? :grin:

paul_bear_bryant.jpg

Ahhhhh.........who am I kidding....Gators beat the hell out of Tenneessee...........

If the offense can manage to hold on to the ball for more than 2 downs... the defense will stay rested enough to present a decent game... but who am I kidding... Tennessee will turn the ball over too much to make it that good... although they have some potential...

And yes... I remember when the winner of this game would typically decide who would be the winner of the SEC...

Regards -

-Bob

I still pine for the 'Noles of the 90's. Bowden and his boys rolled in those days. I'd like to see one more major rally for him before he retires.

The Florida rivalries are super entertaining if you're not from the area :Cool:

They're entertaining here too and not to be taken lightly, you're on one side or the other. Once Tebow moves on maybe we can get back down to business. :)

I would like to see TN keep it close.

NOPE NOPE NOPE.........I want our cheating National Championship Winning Coach at the end of a good CHOMPING to sing....."Rocky Top you'll always be GATOR BAIT to me" Good ole Rocky Top...Lost another one to me...lost another one to me...............

Sorry, for that... lost it for a moment...... I want a good close exciting game with Florida winning in the last 2 seconds of the game.....

Being an LSU season ticket holder I don't often pull for Florida. But this weekend I am a Gator. Send the arrogant little Kiffin a message. You UT fans don't flame me as I usually am favorable to UT also but I think the Vols made a mistake with that draft pick...

Archived