IGNORED

Great Weekend in College Football!

beemerman2k

I'll never forget "the strip" from the '93 Sugar Bowl game. After my jaw hit the floor in awe of that play, I became a fan of Gene Stalling's Alabama right then and there.

Oh yeah, speaking of 'Bama, I remember watching Sean Alexander play for them. In fact, I remember a bowl game in which Michigan faced Alabama and every time Sean got the ball my heart froze in terror. That man was a game changer, and I don't think he ever matched his NFL performance with his college level. He was awesome in college.

After the upset the AP Poll College Football 2009 shows Washington at 24, while USC dropped from third to 12th. You'll recall that the Huskies upset the Trojans on a last-second field goal yesterday, 16-13.

And yet again the rankings reflect life on Mars.....I ain't saying the Huskies should be 3rd like USC was but it does seem like the team that won should (perhaps) be ranked at least somewhere near the team they beat....but then again I am not an "expert".....

I feel that way about Florida State. They beat #7 BYU on the road and yet they're only ranked #18. But at least BYU is ranked #19.

Oh yeah, Florida State does have one loss, but it was to a team that is now in the top 10, so give 'em a break.

But it's early yet, the true worth of these teams will be proven down the stretch. That's when the wheat and the chaff will become separated :Cool:

Oh yeah, Florida State does have one loss, but it was to a team that is now in the top 10, so give 'em a break.

There's your reason why...

Had they beat a top 10 team it'd have been different.

Danny, Tim and the Gators lost one of the NCAA's best wide receivers at the end of the season. Two cupcakes and a grudge match can make anyone sloppy. But, they still found a way to win.

I have no doubt there will be other challenges, but I also believe they will overcome.

I don't get what you're saying. The Noles scored 54 points at #7 BYU and only lost to what is now #9 Miami. This tells me that Florida State is a much better team than they are credited as being. That means the hype be damned, they are going to continue to upset what are thought to be better teams.

Oh! What a disappointing finish! I thought we had that one. We had contained their "dual-threat" quarterback all day and then he manages to burn us with one throw at the end. :mad:

Oh well, at least we're not USC today. :eek:

Both Nebraska and Michigan State threw away their respective games at the end. At least Iowa beat Arizona handidly. Since we know the back-up quarterback (James Vandenberg), were were hoping for either a blow-out so he could a few snaps... or more secretly, a self destruction of Stanzi in the 1st half, so the back-up starts the 2nd. But that's OK, there are plenty of games left.

Well the Gators would seem to have the schedule in their favor.

They go to LSU on 10/10, but that's it for SEC games.

Georgia is "neutral" (right) in JAX.

Meanwhile, also 10/10, Alabama is AT Ole Miss and who knows?

Ole Miss is the only team that plays (I think) Alabama, LSU, Auburn and Tennessee.

If they run that table, they belong in Atlanta and could be the team to beat.

One game at a time...

Dang! South Carolina hosts Ole Miss tonight on ESPN, and I won't be able to see this game. I've been wanting to see the Gamecocks rise up in the SEC, an awefully tough conference to make your presence known. Since Lou Holtz took over that program I have been wondering when they'd become an SEC powerhouse.

Now, Spurrier wants to prove his team as worthy of just that. I'd like to see him do it, although I have always seen him as a whiner :smile:. Really, he loses his head and gets all mad at his players, yet look at a guy like Bobby Bowden and he just takes it all in stride. Cool as a cucumber.

The other great game this weekend is Miami at Virginia Tech. I'm calling a Miami win on the road this weekend. It will also be interesting to see if the Washington Huskies are for real as they face Stanford (not that this is a real test or anything), and can the Trojans get up off the mat as they host Washington State. I'm not sure USC is going to have Barkley back in the QB position.

This thread ain't gonna die 'til January folks :Cool:

VIZHIP..............GOOD GAME..........never have and never will expect a blowout game.... playing Tenn....anyone who does is....well let's just say they really don't know SEC football. Have a good season.........

Wish I could take credit... but they definitely played their hearts out...

Good luck through your season as well... we definitely need to keep the SEC up top of those polls... )))

Regards -

-Bob

Oh yeah, speaking of 'Bama, I remember watching Sean Alexander play for them. In fact, I remember a bowl game in which Michigan faced Alabama and every time Sean got the ball my heart froze in terror. That man was a game changer, and I don't think he ever matched his NFL performance with his college level. He was awesome in college.

You see that in a lot of players... It is like... the play for fun in college and spirit and sportsmanship... and then it becomes a job where they have to build up their bodies to a different level which isn't as prime as it was in college where it was a natural level... or at least one that wasn't as far off as demanded by pros... and thus they seem to be able to do better and more...

Least... this is my opinion... and not necessarily an accurate one... but look at the pros in their college days... after all... they had to excel in order to be noticed by the pros... and most of them did...

Regards -

-Bob

Look at the Gamecocks roll! 16-3 with 7 minutes left in the 3rd quarter over #3 Mississippi. Wow.

Just when you get comfy with the old order of power in the SEC, here comes Spurrier to upset the applecart so to speak. There's a new power in town, folks, and it rises from South Carolina :Cool:

Of course, there's still plenty of time left for a #3 ranked team to erase that 13 point deficit so fast SC won't know what hit them. So the fat lady is still at the snack bar and not even thinking of coming out onto the field yet.

South Carolina DID IT....The fat lady choked on her hotdogs....

That's the ole ball coach of yor...

To bad it was against another SEC team (in terms of national standings) but we have others to pick up the slack....

A team from the south will win the National Championship but which one????

James,

This takes the pressure off of Ole Miss and I wouldn't be surprised to see them win one of the other home games that are ahead creating another problem for the polls.

I think if they had stayed unbeaten eventually they would've faltered agains Al/Aub/LSU but now I think they'll win one of those .

the florida/kentugly game might be closer than predicted. lots of flu going around in gainseville. inclined to take kentucky and the points. let down week after the "big" tenn game???

A team from the south will win the National Championship but which one????

Texas? ;)

You SEC guys forget they still play football in the midwest? Corn fed beef! I'll grant you the SEC is good, but that doesn't mean they aren't overrated. Over the last 11 years ('98 -'08) the SEC only holds a 20-17-0 (.541) advantage over the somewhat watered down Big 12. Against the Big 12's predecessor (the Big Eight) the SEC had a 43-43-6 (.500) record.

Wow, I've really got to work on my smack talk. The best I've got is, "We're almost as good as you." Sad. :)

Look at the Gamecocks roll! 16-3 with 7 minutes left in the 3rd quarter over #3 Mississippi. Wow.

Just when you get comfy with the old order of power in the SEC, here comes Spurrier to upset the applecart so to speak. There's a new power in town, folks, and it rises from South Carolina :Cool:

Of course, there's still plenty of time left for a #3 ranked team to erase that 13 point deficit so fast SC won't know what hit them. So the fat lady is still at the snack bar and not even thinking of coming out onto the field yet.

Bama has SC in Tuscaloosa for homecoming. From what I saw last night, there won't be any surprises in that game.

What are you thinking, that it is 1986?

The last time UK won Ron wuz the prez.

mods--time to close this.... just turned political:rofl:

But... we haven't even discussed the North vs South game )))

btw... the SEC commissioner just had a chat with Kiffin and Meyer... AGAIN !!! Wonder if Kiffin will ever learn or if he will tick teams off enough to where they will gear up just for a game against him...

The LSU vs Miss St. looks like it may have some potential... and depending on which Arkansas team shows up... they may be able to throw some on Alabama...

Might want to look at the California vs Oregon game... I am thinking Oregon has a chance here for an upset at home...

Tennessee hosting Ohio... means Tennessee needs to win this one just to get their season back on track... It is going to be tough with Auburn, Georgia, Alabama and South Carolina following Ohio with the week off happening after Georgia instead of their usual week 3 bye...

Should be interesting... )))

Regards -

-Bob

Wow, I've really got to work on my smack talk. The best I've got is, "We're almost as good as you." Sad.

That just means YOUR SMACK TALK is just as good as ours.... :thumbsup:

Wonder if Kiffin will ever learn

Not to be out done by Kiffin.....Vols basketball coach cracks KKK joke..... :mad:

DUMB AND DUMBER

AD at Tennessee must be dippin hard into the Jack Daniels after these clowns finish opening thier mouths !!!!

Uh oh, Indiana leads Michigan at the half with a score of 23-21. Michigan has shown itself to be able to make significant adjustments at half time, so they had better do so today.

I'm tellin' you right now, if Michigan loses this game I'm asking the moderators to lock and delete this thread. And if they don't do so, I'm going on a political rip so bad they'll ban not just politics, but the mere mention of college football from ever happening on this forum again! If I can't enjoy this game, nobody enjoys this game :mad:

Then again, it's going to be hard for me to do that if I can't get out of bed for a few weeks due to severe depression :cry:

The Big 10 ain't lookin' so big these days, are they? Looks like Florida State, North Carolina, and LSU need some prayers about now, too! I guess I should look into forming a college football support group thread on this forum :rofl:

Come on Michigan, save my butt! Make the adjustments and come out runnin' in the second half!

Moderators: I'm just kidding, but don't tell anyone. I want them to sweat out this Michigan game with me! Otherwise, I'll hear a lot of trash talk if Michigan loses this game. So I'll really wish this thread didn't exist if that happens :eek:

Goooooooooo Bulls!

My brother's are both USF Alums.... I gotta root against the semiholes, it's a law of nature I think...

My Son went to FSU and is a huge fan. Daughter attends USF and could care less about football, but they made a bet now he has to wear a Bull's t shirt all next week.

Wow, look at Bama roll! They are serving notice that they are no flash in the pan. If Bama is on your teams schedule, you might want to sign up for counseling now, 'cause it's gonna be emotionally troubling when that fateful Saturday comes and there will be a line outside the psychiatrists office that day :smile:

And look at Oregon take out #6 Cal! 39-3 at the end of the 3rd quarter. And poor Miami! Oh well, it was a fun run, but now it's over. Made a brief appearance into the top 10, too!

Well I graduated from USF, went to BC and FSU, root for the Noles when they play USF (and for USF when they play other teams).

The Bulls outplayed us, we were outcoached, and the USF QB is from Tallahassee making his first start.

Quite a story.

They earned the win.

Congratulations.

Our "head coach in waiting" Jimbo Fisher gets $5,000,000.00 if he isn't named head coach in January 0f 2011.

I'm so disappointed with his play calling, lack of consistency and demeanor I want to give him his money now, and I'll bet you dinner no one else hires him.

Our players gave a great effort, but he didn't give them enough chances to make the kind of plays that puts a defender in a risky situation.

Every time we threw deep and over the middle (way too few) we were open and caught it or dropped it.

USF never handled those pass routes where they had to defend the middle of the field.

For some strange reason, however, Jimbo decided we need more East West routes w/no one going over the middle and runs up the middle that all got stuffed.

End of rant.

Someone plese save us from our saviour.

:dopeslap:

Congrats to Mich for coming back.

Looks dire for the 'Canes, Marty.

Tebow is sick, naw....won't matter.

:grin:

I'm a sick person for going to these games and torturing myself like this.

At least next week we decided to skip a trip to Boston for the game and go to the BRR.

Sorry for the long post but football around here comes right after God, family, country...

thanks I needed that.

Carry on.

:lurk:

Wow, look at Bama roll! They are serving notice that they are no flash in the pan. If Bama is on your teams schedule, you might want to sign up for counseling now, 'cause it's gonna be emotionally troubling when that fateful Saturday comes and there will be a line outside the psychiatrists office that day :smile:

And look at Oregon take out #6 Cal! 39-3 at the end of the 3rd quarter. And poor Miami! Oh well, it was a fun run, but now it's over. Made a brief appearance into the top 10, too!

What are you James, the other Danny? :rofl:

I'm glad to see the Bulls play well. I'm happier to see what I hope is Bobby's last run in the sun end the way it is. It'll make a clean break easier when he finally gives it up.

I think Timmy T. wants to break Herschel Walker's TD record by halftime so he can go in the locker room and take a well deserved nap!

No, I'm not the other Danny, I'm just drummin' up the suspense for the Alabama - Florida showdown in Atlanta. That will be a better game than the National Title game will be.

Florida has a 30-0 lead over Kentucky at the end of the first quarter! I don't think I have ever seen such a blowout first quarter ever!

Bama/Gators, baby. That will be the game of the year. I hope both teams roll with undefeated seasons to make this showdown a reality :thumbsup: And then let the trash talk FLY!!!

It's something else alright, and I hope those two live up to their reputations.

My guess, UT is #1 unless UF puts about 80 on the board...

Sorry for the long post but football around here comes right after God, family, country...

See Tim, that's where you go wrong. It's Bama, God, family, country. :grin:

My guess, UT is #1 unless UF puts about 80 on the board...

Nope. Saw a great segment on Sportscenter this am on how the polls are decided. UT is playin' a nobody, so given the scores, the standings won't change. Gators are clearly making a statement after struggling (sort of) with a sucky Vol team.

I don't see rankings changing till after Atlanta. And they WILL change then. :lurk:

No, I'm not the other Danny, I'm just drummin' up the suspense for the Alabama - Florida showdown in Atlanta. That will be a better game than the National Title game will be.

Florida has a 30-0 lead over Kentucky at the end of the first quarter! I don't think I have ever seen such a blowout first quarter ever!

Bama/Gators, baby. That will be the game of the year. I hope both teams roll with undefeated seasons to make this showdown a reality :thumbsup: And then let the trash talk FLY!!!

Hey where is the respect for my soon to be ranked #5 Tigers? OK OK so we were lucky to beat Miss State today. And so so teams are pushing our defense around. And we can't rush the ball. OK I admit Bama and Florida will both lay 50+ on us and it all comes crashing down in Athens next week.

And tallman there is a reason LSU didn't throw money at Jimbo in order to keep him around....

Gotta love college football.

the florida/kentugly game might be closer than predicted. lots of flu going around in gainseville. inclined to take kentucky and the points. let down week after the "big" tenn game???

ok, gonna man up... 2 min to go in FIRST QTR...24 nuttin gators. i think they all have the "we played like crap against tenn" flu and kentugly is the unfortunate recipient of the wrath.

Tim...Hope is a USF grad as well. She's happy.

ok-31-0..bye. (about and hour behind...wonders of tivo)

Never looks good to see your quarterback being taken to the hospital....Glad the Gators have an off week next weekend....

You can't keep SUPERMAN down !!!!!

#5 Penn State is in serious trouble, losing to unranked Iowa at home. Either the Big 10 is ultra strong or ultra flat. And Purdue looks like they're going to upset Notre Dame. 21-17 with 3:41 to go in the game.

Wow, yet another bloody Saturday. Time to reshuffle the rankings again. 3 top 10 teams lost or are losing this weekend: Miami, California, and Penn State.

Wait, that's 4 of the top 10 teams that lost this weekend. I forgot about South Carolina's upset of Ole Miss. So that's the #4, #5, #6, and #9 teams that are in free fall now. Wow.

#5 Penn State is in serious trouble, losing to unranked Iowa at home. Either the Big 10 is ultra strong or ultra flat. And Purdue looks like they're going to upset Notre Dame. 21-17 with 3:41 to go in the game.

Wow, yet another bloody Saturday. Time to reshuffle the rankings again. 3 top 10 teams lost or are losing this weekend: Miami, California, and Penn State.

Wait, that's 4 of the top 10 teams that lost this weekend. I forgot about South Carolina's upset of Ole Miss. So that's the #4, #5, #6, and #9 teams that are in free fall now. Wow.

Still early in the season... the real players haven't been established yet... but those that want to stay on top can't afford to let their guard down...

Have to agree that the Florida Alabama game will be huge... and probably fun to watch... Guess I will have to get a TV for that game... or find a good internet website that shows it... )))

Of course... the Florida LSU game in a couple weeks will be nothing to sneeze at... will be interesting to see if Meyer can play Tebow or if he has to go to the backup...

Regards -

-Bob

Hutch,

10-4 on the Jimbo fiasco.

I wanted us to sign someone who used a spread/attacking offense that is the current rage (again). We still have skill players and speed.

Instead we get a Bowden clowne with a golden parachute.

And, 3 hoime games this year with rain.

Maybe the Big Man upatairs is sending a message.

:)

James,

Purdue's coaches blew it IMO calling a timeout w/36 seconds togo, ND still in a pile from a bad run, no timeouts left and their sideline calling them to line up and spike it.

Would've left them w/one play.

They ran that play, on 3rd down courtesy of Purdue, Purdue stopped that, but the extra down gave ND the win on next play.

Sure was an exciting day for college football. Hope Tebow fully recovers from that concussion. I think all these upsets probably mean the rankings just aren't very accurate yet. After a few more games we'll have a better idea who the real top 10 are.

Huge party in Lincoln NE yesterday as the Huskers had their 300th consecutive home sellout - that's every game since 1962! BTW- that year they went to the first and only "Gotham Bowl" in Yankee stadium and beat Miami 36-34. Tonight the team looked good and came out really focused after the VT loss. We had our reserves in by half way through the 3rd quarter and they looked pretty good too. I am really excited for the Missouri game!

Tim: no kidding, I was shocked that the Purdue head coach used a time out to help ND get their act together. The Irish were scrambling to figure out what to do when Purdue gave them some time to relax and to think things over. Wow.

Husker: I guess VT is a better team that I had given them credit for. Their only loss is to Alabama. This also suggests that the Corn Huskers are well on their way from the brink.

EffBee: Looks like Washington really is a Pop-Warner team. After upsetting the Mighty Trojans, they lose to Stanford of all teams.

I think the Huskers are on the way. ULL is actually a pretty decent football team with some players. Huskers should've beaten VT. I like where Pelini is going and Red I love the fan support. Nebraska fans are the greatest. They are getting the right support players and if they can get the elite players to come back they could be among the elite again soon. If only a could get bo to recruit Bama's territory real hard...

Gotham Bowl, a real blast from the past.

Lived n Miami and knew the QB, All-American George Mira.

Miami had more than 2x the first downs, 2 1/2 times the passing yards, more rushing yards.

Scores went back and forth, a very exciting game.

I remember it like it was yesterday.

Yeah, & Bama creamed the Hogs.

Brian, I'm sorry to learn you're a Gator fan. I thought you were smarter than that. :rofl:

at least with the gators i see some wins. other two teams i have season tix for basically suck.

Archived