IGNORED

Great Weekend in College Football!

beemerman2k

Now FESS UP that's why you're picken Bama over the Gators..... :grin:... :rofl:

Let beemerman2k pick Bama, he can't pick his nose without wiping it in the "L" column. Go Gators!

Ride Safe

Rideoften

Hmm, I'm all for supporting one's team, and poking a bit of fun, firing one across the zebras bow, and the like.

Perhaps I miss the tone in which your comment was intended.

It seems a bit out of line, IMO.

:P

Indeed I was just poking fun. It does read a little strong, my apologies beemerman2k.

Ride Safe

Rideoften

Let beemerman2k pick Bama, he can't pick his nose without wiping it in the "L" column. Go Gators!

Ride Safe

Rideoften

Hmm, I'm all for supporting one's team, and poking a bit of fun, firing one across the zebras bow, and the like.

I agree, it was out of line. But with only 50+ posts since Jan of 2006, perhaps he hasn't been on this board often enough to learn how to express his enthusiasm with courtesy. I'm gonna cut him a little slack before we tack him with a 30-day penalty for a personal insult. Besides, I know James, and his skin is tougher than any Gator. ;)

Hard times for some of us, but it seems some of us can still appreciate the game and the highs and lows w/out getting personal.

It's okay. Bama truly stunk up the joint for a few weeks. As much as I hated it, I still appreciated how the oppossing teams played. I especially appreciate how they didn't play quite well enough. :grin:

As evidenced last night, Bama's back on their game. It's good to see them peaking, again, when it counts.

I'll step out on a limb here, & say it now. December 5th is D Day for the Gators. They're goin' down!

Ride Safe

Rideoften

I agree, it was out of line. But with only 50+ posts since Jan of 2006, perhaps he hasn't been on this board often enough to learn how to express his enthusiasm with courtesy. I'm gonna cut him a little slack before we tack him with a 30-day penalty for a personal insult. Besides, I know James, and his skin is tougher than any Gator. ;)

Gee, I didn't presume any offense in his statement at all! I took it to mean that at the end of the day, my team is out of it so I can only reap very limited rewards at best from this point on. I agree, that's true!

College Football IS personal. Hell, I'd love it if someone got mad at me, right now all I get is laughter :cry:

For instance, let's see what happens when I say this:

"Hey Gators, I have one thing to say to you...MICHIGAN"

OK, let's see what kind of response I get...

Danny,

I see Texas vs SEC as an NFL type game, TCU vs. Cincinatti as an AFL vs. NFL era Super Bowl game, and TCU vs. BoyzwillBstate as an old AFL type game.

Personally I always enjoyed the old AFL type games.

Florida, 'Bama and Texas now

Ok I've taken my Orange and Blue off for a moment...My true feelings on a Florida / Alabama matchup... This will be a smash mouth defensive game...Unless Meyer opens up the playbook for the offensive side of the game Alabama will shutdown Florida's lack luster offensive game as of late. The O line for Florida needs more pass protection for Tebow not just short yardage running lanes. This game may end up as a special teams win if Florida is able to pull off what I think would be an upset of Alabama. If I had to bet with my wallet I would pick Bama...but thank goodness I enjoy the Gators from my heart and I don't think there is another team that plays from the heart better than Florida...Go Gators.

Florida, 'Bama and Texas now

Ok I've taken my Orange and Blue off for a moment...My true feelings on a Florida / Alabama matchup... This will be a smash mouth defensive game...Unless Meyer opens up the playbook for the offensive side of the game Alabama will shutdown Florida's lack luster offensive game as of late. The O line for Florida needs more pass protection for Tebow not just short yardage running lanes. This game may end up as a special teams win if Florida is able to pull off what I think would be an upset of Alabama. If I had to bet with my wallet I would pick Bama...but thank goodness I enjoy the Gators from my heart and I don't think there is another team that plays from the heart better than Florida...Go Gators.

Your D matches up well against the Bama offense. I'm watchind LSU Ole Miss on CBS at holding my breath everytime Dexter touches the ball. 7-6 LSU in the 1st. Sorry to hear about UGA.

Bama & Florida romped on thier "other" off week. :grin:

Next week will be interesting for both with intra-state rivalries. Auburn had this week off, & Bama has a short week, as they play on Fri. afternoon. FSU & Auburn would like nothing better than screw up somebody's perfect season. Won't happen.

Can't wait till the 5th. :thumbsup:

Danny,

We were fortunate to win against Merryland.

2nd start for Manuel and it showed w/some poor choices.

But, in the end, and I do mean the end, he had 2 great scrambles to get us down for the last second score.

We don't match up w/Uf defense nor does our defense match up w/anyone.

Today was the Defensive Co-ordinator, Mickey Andrews last home game.

Very emotional, tribute to his longevity (26 years w/us), he was a part of 5 National Championships, as a player (Alabama), and as a coach winning 2 w/us.

He won the first Assistant Coach of the Year award back in 96 and had 18 first round draft picks.

The upside, we're bowl eligible keeping the streak alive.

:clap:

We'll need to win the bowl game to end up w/a winning record since we'll be 6-6 in a week.

:(

Looks like Michigan will need to change captains to right the ship, maybe ND too.

Wonder if Boise St. will need a new caoch after the bowl games?

:lurk:

Wonder if Boise St. will need a new caoch after the bowl games?

Damn you! I hope he doesn't leave. I think the life experiences he's had, primarily his son Sam*, make him appreciate the quality of life he's got there. I also think any coach in his right mind would want to stick around for his current roster's development. BSU is undefeated and is very young. The nation's leading QB in efficiency and TDs is a 185 sophomore-- wouldn't you want to coach that kid two more years?

*Sam- one of Pete's boys fell out of the bleachers at a game. Hit his head and got a concussion. This was years ago, the boy was young, he's only 10 now. An MRI due to that concussion meant doctors discovered cancer in his brain. After nearly losing him, Sam recovered and has some challenges, but Pete's wife and his family are happy in Boise. Pete seems to control the things he can in life and roll with the rest. Witness his attitude on the BCS- can't control it- let's win and hope for the best, and sometimes life disappoints you, and you deal with it. Their attitude on Sam's fall is that he was pushed by an angel- it saved his life, hitting his head and getting that MRI.

So, he's got a new contract, $850k a year, his wife and kids are happy, the town loves him (and Boise is a fantastic town to be a winning player or coach in, trust me on this- fantastic fan support there). Why would he leave? Hawkins left and I have to believe Hawk wishes he was still on the blue quite a bit. Hopefully Pete is watching that lesson closely, I know him and Hawkins are buddies, have been since playing in college together at UC Davis.

PS read this; http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=jn-petersen112708&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I didn't know that about his son.

or

$1.4 million +

?

That might be a reason.

Move to a "big name" conference?

Go out on top?

Many reasons to go, but he may just love it there.

I would think he might be the next Urban Meyer to some schools way of thinking.

It seems as though the only people willing to stick this thread out are Bama or Gator fans.

Especially since Ole Miss took care of LSU tonight.

Hey, I'm done. I didn't even watch the Ohio State @ Michigan game today, which is a first for me in some years. Michigan is all done and so is USC; I can only take so much bad news in the fall, and I have never had to suffer like this in all my years of watching Michigan play.

So yes, it's all yours 'Bama and Gator guys. You and any Texas fans out there are the only ones still standing!

I feel your pain, James. Bama's had it's rough years, too. And with the graduation of thirteen seniors, I may be feeling it again next year.

But, I still have this year! :grin:

It seems as though the only people willing to stick this thread out are Bama or Gator fans.

I know you are baiting me but I'll bite. Did you happen to see how S-T-U-P-I-D we were tonight?

How about down 2, in FG range, and lose 10+ in a sack. Then get the ball to the 10, with 1 sec left, AND NO STRATEGY?!?!?

Not that I have a choice but I respectfully concede the SEC to FL and BAMA - for this year... make us proud.

I respect Nick Saban. As long as he is at the helm in Alabama, I don't see any losing seasons coming your way. Everywhere that guy goes, except the NFL, wins follow him. He turned around Michigan State, LSU, and now 'Bama.

No, you won't be in my shoes for some time to come. Coaches like Nick insist on excellence, and he get it, too :thumbsup:

Looks like Nebraska is ending the season in fine form. That's great news for College Football and for Husker Red, too. The long, dark, night just might be over. Congrats :thumbsup:

Joe Frickin' Friday
Hey, I'm done. I didn't even watch the Ohio State @ Michigan game today, which is a first for me in some years.

You didn't miss much. Forcier is getting real, real good at throwing interceptions. :dopeslap: Hey may be a true freshman quarterback, but I think next year he will not be a true sophomore quarterback...

I know you are baiting me but I'll bite. Did you happen to see how S-T-U-P-I-D we were tonight?

How about down 2, in FG range, and lose 10+ in a sack. Then get the ball to the 10, with 1 sec left, AND NO STRATEGY?!?!?

I saw that on ESPN, crap, the highlights were hard to watch, I can't imagine the game.

I'm looking forward to the SEC Championship. I don't really know who's got what for who, and I surely don't want to think about next season, but you know, we have Tim T. and good stuff seems to find that kid when he has the ball. I don't know that he'll ever be a good NFL prospect, but you can't deny that he plays and leads his team with heart.

Well, we're not quite in "fine form" yet, but we are getting better. The D is very solid, and our offense is just getting good enough to win games. I said (much) earlier in this thread that if we didn't win the Big 12 North title I would be disappointed. We reached that goal. It wasn't how I expected, but I'll take it.

Now we could make you SEC guys happy if we can beat Texas and keep them out of your parade. I normally like Texas, but for the next three weeks it's HORNS DOWN!!! I'd say our chances are slim, but it would be fun to play spoiler.

Hutch - tough ending today! I can't belive LSU missed that timeout!

Charlie Wiess out at ND? I doubt it. I think he is a good coach and ND has too much invested to fire him now.

Tim Tebow is the best player in all of college football. Leaders like him are rare in any arena. Were I an owner of an NFL team, I'd scoop him up as soon as he became available. Attitude alone will guarantee a winning season, talent will ensure it happens. Tebow is the real deal, a special case that only comes along once in a great while -- in any arena.

Well, we're not quite in "fine form" yet, but we are getting better. The D is very solid, and our offense is just getting good enough to win games. I said (much) earlier in this thread that if we didn't win the Big 12 North title I would be disappointed. We reached that goal. It wasn't how I expected, but I'll take it.

Now we could make you SEC guys happy if we can beat Texas and keep them out of your parade. I normally like Texas, but for the next three weeks it's HORNS DOWN!!! I'd say our chances are slim, but it would be fun to play spoiler.

Hutch - tough ending today! I can't belive LSU missed that timeout!

Charlie Wiess out at ND? I doubt it. I think he is a good coach and ND has too much invested to fire him now.

Congrats Husker. I watched much of your game. Your boys looked good. Great "D"! After last night's debacle I would sure like to have Pellini back in BTR. Good luck against the Horns. Did I ever tell you my bride is a Nebraskan? But went to Univ of Wyoming...

As a military and civilian flight instructor I constantly harp on situational awarenes (SA). In motorcycle riding I do the same. By SA I mean the accurate perception of of all things affecting your operating environment. In flying I want my studs to understand their physical well-being and mental sharpness, the state of the jet, air traffic, ATC, location of the Minneapolis airport, plus more. In riding I want to understand my well being, the capabilities of the bike, road hazards, potential dangers ahead, as well as traffic and the possible behavior of that traffic. I want to keep up mentally with any traffic that could potentially be a hazard to me. The LSU coaching staff failed miserably at maintaining SA last night. Where was Miles (mentally) when he needed to be calling a timeout? Where was his co-pilot? Certainly someone is assigned to watch his back? And that was just the play you are seeing on TV. We were back there because we had just taken a huge sack that took us out of FG range to begin with! Where was the SA to avoid anything that could potentially move us backward. Once you are in FG range you take NO CHANCES at going backward. Run Run Kick. Game over, hopefully with a "W".

Weis is toast.

Tim Tebow is the best player in all of college football.

I beg to differ, sir. Ever hear of Rolando McClain? A junior linebacker at Bama, talk is he'll offer himself up for the NFL after this season. I've got money that says he'll go before Tebow.

Tim Tebow is the best player in all of college football.

I beg to differ, sir. Ever hear of Rolando McClain? A junior linebacker at Bama, talk is he'll offer himself up for the NFL after this season. I've got money that says he'll go before Tebow.

Yawn....

Danny, your 'backer surely has some skillz, but, I think you may be hard pressed to find a player out there who a) fesses up to his mistakes to his coaches and teammates, b) takes the burden to recover from those mistakes and c) inspires his team to keep pushing the way Tim T does. He's easy to dislike because of the attention that doing all those things brings him, and you know why I was no great fan of his. But honestly, I think the kid is the real deal and the FSU game last year changed my thinking. These two pictures alone sum up a lot of what he has done for his team:

3116340370_7553b53c34.jpgTim+Tebow+Sports+Illustrated+Cover.jpg

At least I haven't fawned on him like some people have....

Danny,

I'm neither, generally, and I'll be here (in this thread) after you.

Hutch,

3rd an 19 and he calls a swing/screen???? :dopeslap:

Very poor clock management, IMO.

Same thing w/UConn/ND.

1st UConn gets hosed twice, then when they get fumble and advance to field goal range, they let time tick down and miss FG.

One more run by Dixon who ND didn't stop at all in 4th and OT would've gotten it closer and they win in regulation.

Too much thinking sometimes.

Tim Tebow is an excellent college leader/QB.

He will not play QB as a starter in the NFL.

He will not be drafted very high.

Not talking as an FSU fan, but as a football "expert" :grin:.

His stats are very similar to 'Bama's QB, and both teams unbeaten, yet no mention of 'Bama QB as the "best" player.

Tebow is a winner, a leader, and probably an excellent person.

The NFL may want more.

Tim Tebow is an excellent college leader/QB.

He will not play QB as a starter in the NFL.

He will not be drafted very high.

He could well draft late, there's no doubt about that. There's a guy right now who was a sixth round draft pick that had never started in college and he's won a couple superbowl games. Then again, who ever thought that kid from Kiln, MS would do much in the NFL either. There are some similarities in their game plans.

The NFL may want more.

Yep, it's true... But again, with all the stuff the league is facing now, a fresh face and a good reputation might carry him a long way toward trying to repair that image.

Honestly, I would like to see Tim have a kind of Danny Wuerffel career. Play a couple years, build some recognition and then move on to things off the field which seems to be his calling.

Now if we can get the players at Bama to look past Auburn the way the fans have, we might have a chance at beating Saban (9th most hated man in sports)

http://www.forbes.com/2009/07/28/the-most-disliked-people-in-sports-business-sports-disliked_slide_10.html

Anybody that thinks they can predict the outcome of Bama and Auburn has not watched many of their games. I know that we will be the underdog, but emotion has a lot to do with it. I am sure they will play the video from last years game with Satan tell his team on the side line how much he hates Auburn.

And the Beatles thought that Money couldn't buy you love.....it worked at Bama.

Au contraire.

I watched Brett F play FSU when he was 18 yr. old.

Turned to Beth and said, "he'll play in the NFL for a long time."

You could tell he had "the arm" and seemed to throw the ball whereever it needed to be.

TT has skills, but I'm not convinced he fits in with most NFL programs.

You never know, he may find a niche, or play via someone's injury and do well.

Some of the "large size" quarterbacks aren't faring as well as when they became the rage not too long ago.

I think NFL will go back to looking for height, mobility, arm strength, field vision, experience w/pro style offense, then the intangibles.

None of which explains Drew B, but again, 1st time I saw him I told the missus the same thing about haing a bright NFL career ahead of him.

If Florida loses to 'Bama, maybe Urban will showcase TT at tight end in the "it doesn't matter now bowl".

I'd like to see if he can block, play from the slot, catch the ball in traffic.

Maaybe they'll do that this weekend.

No doubt, you jest. I'm not taking what you're saying seriously. I mean, regardless of motive, if a coach can consistently put together winning programs like Nick Saban has, then what does that say about the other coaches out there? They're not paid enough? They're too pure in their motives? Is that Rodriguez problem at Michigan? I wish it were, that's would be a quick and easy fix :cry:

No doubt, you jest. I'm not taking what you're saying seriously. I mean, regardless of motive, if a coach can consistently put together winning programs like Nick Saban has, then what does that say about the other coaches out there? They're not paid enough? They're too pure in their motives? Is that Rodriguez problem at Michigan? I wish it were, that's would be a quick and easy fix :cry:

Mostly jest - if it was that easy we would have Yankee's teams right. Mostly it is the way Saban lied to the LSU fans, the the Dolphin fans about staying. On his way out of the mess he left in Miami, he stomped all over the Shula family (revered in South Florida)....

Nothing I enjoy better than watching Nick cuss out his players and throw his headset around.

I got it bad, first of all an Auburn fan and then a Dolphins fan also. So not liking Saban is real easy for me.

We will see what happens next year when Saban has run through all of Shula's recruits.

He was 2-3 against UofM when at Michigan State, he was 2-3 against Auburn when at LSU and now he is 1-1 against Auburn at Bama. And we all saw the whoopin he took against the Gators and Utes to finish off last year.

If you can come up with enough money - you can probably get him at Michigan, he once said it would be his "dream job".

Tim Tebow is the best player in all of college football. Leaders like him are rare in any arena. Were I an owner of an NFL team, I'd scoop him up as soon as he became available. Attitude alone will guarantee a winning season, talent will ensure it happens. Tebow is the real deal, a special case that only comes along once in a great while -- in any arena.

Tebow is an amazing College QB. But I don't see him making much of an impact in the pro's. The defenses are too fast and too athletic. His size and mobility is a big strength, but he needs to be a better pure passer to succeed at the pro level. But I could be wrong. I will say that Heisman trophy winners it seems, expecially QB's, don't have a very good record in the NFL.

I will say that Heisman trophy winners it seems, expecially QB's, don't have a very good record in the NFL.

Yeah, like Carson Palmer, Vinny Testaverde, Doug Flutie, and Roger Staubach.

I will say that Heisman trophy winners it seems, expecially QB's, don't have a very good record in the NFL.

True, but look at all those that went no where over the same 30 year period and then consider players like Favre, Brady, Eli Manning, Brees, Rothlessberger (sp?), Warner, that have won chamionships.

Besides, Flutie for example has "big name" but never really accomplished anything in the NFL. Testeverde had 1 great season but overall never accomplished much. Pamer has done well. Staubach is the one standout in that list. Sucessful career with a great team that won 2 chamipionships ... but I can't comment further, since that happened before I was born. :)

I guess, I look down the Heismann winner list, I I'd say maybe 1/4 are name I recognize as being sucessful in the NFL.

I guess, I look down the Heismann winner list, I I'd say maybe 1/4 are name I recognize as being sucessful in the NFL.

A couple more. Paul Hornung, and maybe the best quarterback ever, Peyton Manning.

A couple more. Paul Hornung, and maybe the best quarterback ever, Peyton Manning.

Here is the list from 1970 to now with QB's highlighted, look it over and make your own conclusions.

YEAR WINNER SCHOOL POSITION

2008 Sam Bradford Oklahoma QB

2007 Tim Tebow Florida QB

2006 Troy Smith Ohio State QB

2005 Reggie Bush Southern California RB

2004 Matt Leinart Southern California QB

2003 Jason White Oklahoma QB

2002 Carson Palmer Southern California QB

2001 Eric Crouch Nebraska QB

2000 Chris Weinke Florida State QB

1999 Ron Dayne Wisconsin RB

1998 Ricky Williams Texas RB

1997 Charles Woodson Michigan DB/WR

1996 Danny Wuerffel Florida QB

1995 Eddie George Ohio State RB

1994 Rashaan Salaam Colorado RB

1993 Charlie Ward Florida State QB

1992 Gino Torretta Miami QB

1991 Desmond Howard Michigan WR

1990 Ty Detmer Brigham Young QB

1989 Andre Ware Houston QB

1988 Barry Sanders Oklahoma State RB

1987 Tim Brown Notre Dame WR

1986 Vinny Testaverde Miami QB

1985 Bo Jackson Auburn RB

1984 Doug Flutie Boston College QB

1983 Mike Rozier Nebraska RB

1982 Herschel Walker Georgia RB

1981 Marcus Allen Southern California RB

1980 George Rogers South Carolina RB

1979 Charles White Southern California RB

1978 Billy Sims Oklahoma RB

1977 Earl Campbell Texas RB

1976 Tony Dorsett Pittsburgh RB

1975 Archie Griffin Ohio State RB

1974 Archie Griffin Ohio State RB

1973 John Cappelletti Penn State RB

1972 Johnny Rodgers Nebraska WR

1971 Pat Sullivan Auburn QB

1970 Jim Plunkett Stanford QB

it almost seems liek the running bakcs have been more sucessful than the QB's. Of course that's an entirely differnt discipline.

Of course football is a team sport, so the reality is that even the greatest Qb in teh game won't make an impact withotu a good team around them. So in reality, some QB's may be overrated, while other may never realize their potential.

Archived