IGNORED

Great Weekend in College Football!

beemerman2k

They have been inconsistent for sure.

But, we've also had a tough row to hoe.

Strength of Schedule (not counting last nights game and NC's defense was very highly rated)

HARDEST

1. Florida State

2. Arkansas State

3. Syracuse

4. Washington

5. Fresno State

6. Virginia Tech

50. Iowa

62. Florida

74. Texas

76. Alabama

HARDEST

1. Florida State

2. Arkansas State

3. Syracuse

4. Washington

5. Fresno State

6. Virginia Tech

50. Iowa

62. Florida

74. Texas

76. Alabama

IT also makes a big difference which teams you've lost to and which teams you've beaten and whether or not they were road games or home games.

Iowa for example plays its 4 best opponents all on the road. Although it's toughest non-conference opponent was a home game. Of course if OSU had beaten USC and MSU and Purdue had beaten their close games against Notre Dame, all of the sudden, the Big Ten isn't considered so weak.

I suppose it will all sort itself out in the next few weeks anyway. Of course folks in Iowa are hoping that Iowa wins out, there's a Texas loss, and Alabama to win out including the SEC championship game. Nothing agaisnt Texas, it just fun cheering for the scrappy underdog that continues to find ways to win. It would be intersting to see them on the big stage. It would be good for Alabama, because it would give them a "weaker" team to play for the title. See there, it's a win-win scenerio, except for folks in the Big 12. :grin:

So you're saying everybody's an underdog compared to Bama.

I can dig that. :grin:

More of a realist. Iowa's best chance to make it to a national title game is for there to be a clear SEC champion since it seems clear they are considered the dominant conference. Just running different scenerios.

I must admit, it's a pretty sorry state of affairs for the Big Ten that the prospect of a undefeated team is not considered a lock to play for a national title even if 2 SEC teams have 1 loss.

But of course anything can happen in the next few games.

Loc: Tallahassee, Florida They have been inconsistent for sure.

But, we've also had a tough row to hoe.

Strength of Schedule (not counting last nights game and NC's defense was very highly rated)

HARDEST

1. Florida State

2. Arkansas State

3. Syracuse

4. Washington

5. Fresno State

6. Virginia Tech

50. Iowa

62. Florida

74. Texas

76. Alabama

Fl and Ala. so low on the list surprises me considering they have to play the SEC sched. which no other conference in the country in thier right minds would want a steady diet of.

Fl and Ala. so low on the list surprises me considering they have to play the SEC sched. which no other conference in the country in thier right minds would want a steady diet of.

Outside of the top 2, are they really that much more dominant than than other conferences? Using the BCS rankings, the Big Ten also has 4 teams in the top 25. Their average ranking is lower but they still have strong teams.

Florida and Alabama are hurt by weak non-conference opponents or at least opponents that also have weak schedules.

Actually, looking at some of the team with tougher schedules, I'm not quite understanding how the difficulty of hte scheduel is determined.

Her's Arkansas State's schedule.

DATE OPPONENT W-L (CONF) RESULT

9/05 Mississippi Valley State 1-0 (0-0) W 61-0

9/12 @ No. 22 Nebraska 1-1 (0-0) L 38-9

9/26 Troy 1-2 (0-1) L 30-27

10/03 @ No. 13 Iowa 1-3 (0-1) L 24-21

10/13 @ Louisiana-Monroe 1-4 (0-2) L 16-10

10/24 Florida International 7:00 PM

10/31 @ Louisville 3:30 PM

11/07 Louisiana-Lafayette 7:00 PM

11/14 @ Florida Atlantic 4:00 PM

11/21 @ Middle Tennessee State TBA

11/28 North Texas TBA

12/03 @ Western Kentucky TBA

Maybe this is the difficulty of their NON-CONFERNECE schedules only. Arkansas State played Nebraska and Iowa, both ranked teams at the time.

Bill,

That discussion is for after the seasson.

But, while watching the Al/UT game today I was surprised when they flashed some stats.

Julio Jones, who is supposed to be the greatest thing ever, caught 4 TD's in first 5 games, and only 1 in 14 games since then.

My point is that the media had created an impression about him and I assumed he continued to produce, which by one standard he hasn't.

Heck we had a receiver who didn't catch on in the pros who had 20 TD's in first 22 games.

:grin:

So, yes, I give the SEC it's due based on recent Nat'l Champs, but the old "on any given Saturday" adage is somewhat true across the board.

After watching UF dismantle OSU a couple of years ago I thought we could've beaten them too, and that in general they were overhyped.

It's been that way since the days of 8-9 games seasons (remember them?) only there is so much more coverage now that eventually it will catch up w/a team.

Good luck tonight.

Yeah, Penn State just barely edged out Michigan, too. 35-10 in a real squeaker of a game that came down to Michigan's final 4 possessions. They score 8 points for 3 posessions and then kick a field goal, this game turns out different. See what I mean? A real close game this was...:smile:...:cry:

Wonder what implications the 'Bama game will have on the rankings? (I know, Huzband, doesn't matter. It comes down to the game in Atlanta, but...)

And the Gators showed that champions find a way to win, regardless.

Get some rest boys, it's gonna be a big week next week.

Anyone else notice that hANNAbONE is a man of few words when it comes to college football? :smile: :thumbsup:

See above for the latest iteration of his ritual post.

oNE wORD........"H A W K E Y E S"

4 more posts like this and we might have a shot at the title game. :grin:

On my...that was a nailbiter. MSU played a heck of a game. That could have ended much different. They manged to avoid turnovers, their secondary played well against he Iwoa recievers and kept the game close.

'Bama dodged a bullet. Looks like Florida and Bama might flip flop on Monday. Maybe just for fun, they could let Texas have the #1 ranking.

Hard to make any statements about this weeks games except this profound statement.......It sucks trying to stay updated on college football Saturday when you spend the best part of the day and evening at a wedding and a reception...good luck Casey and Robert !!!!!

Soooo, I gotta get on here and brag a bit about my 7-0 TCU Horned Frogs. They spanked BYU yesterday and showed them the way to the exits at their home stadium.

(Final score 38-7) :clap:

Yeehah! GO FROGS!!! :grin:

I don't think it's too early to ask who wants to be the "major" program to play the #4 Broncos with the nation's most efficient passer, sophomore Kellen Moore, in a BCS bowl game?

Could they eclipse the legendary Fiesta Bowl win?

edit (Sharon, one need not mention the Broncos are undefeated- it's just sort of a given)

(Sharon, one need not mention the Broncos are undefeated- it's just sort of a given)

Sounds almost like 2 Gator fans talking there Mike! :rofl:

Okay, I've gotta say it. Since I've been so high on Bama for the last month, I'm going to be honest. They've played like a bunch of second-rate junior high-schoolers the last two weekends. One TD in two games?! Gimme a break! Number one or not, defense will only get you so far. They can't beat Florida, much less LSU, if they don't put seven on the board, repeatedly.

Thank God they have a week off, they need it. I love 'em, but I ain't happy. :P

Congrats Sharon on your Horny Toads. They deserve to be ranked higher than they are.

Back from Baton Rouge after a 9 hour road trip. It was fun cuz we drove with the Auburn crowd all the from BTR to Auburn/Opelika. Chatted with several - nice bunch.

hANAbONE you are a man of several oNE wORDS - "oNE wORD........"H A W K E Y E S". Congrats great finish!

If I didn't know better I would think Huzband is showing my boys a little respect... Sure wish you didn't have an off week this week!

Sharon - that kinda talk ain't gonna make you popular in SLC! Toads are looking very good.

Sorry Husker Red I was pulling for you. I like Bo and hope he succeeds. This weekend surprised me.

Beemerman got nothing for you buddy. Sorry.

Gotta love college football.

Beemerman got nothing for you buddy. Sorry.

Gotta love college football.

It's OK. Some seasons you're on and some you're off. Michigan is off these days.

Sure wish Michigan could have scooped up your head coach to follow Lloyd Carr. Les Miles would have been a great fit at Michigan :smile:

I asure you, we respect the talent of LSU.

That's what has me worried. I've said all along, if Bama can get past LSU, it'll be downhill to Atlanta.

But we need work. We're without one of our best linebackers for the reast of the season, & our best reciever got hurt in warm-ups yesterday. He should be back by the time your Tigers roll in to Tuscaloosa, though.

It'll certainly be a good game. I just hope I don't have to live through another repeat of the Tenn. game. I don't think the local E.R. is prepared. kboom.gif

Les Miles would have been a great fit at Michigan :smile:

And Bama wouldn't have to deal with his smart a$$ (& I mean smart) in the SEC. That cat's good.

Florida is back at #1 in all polls....Until they play better than they have in the past few weeks... I'll just be glad...But the smack will be way down...

Danny....I was having a hard time with the Alabama Tennessee game....Outwardly....because I was with alot of Gators Saturday who wanted Alabama to loose to Tennessee but deep down I want to see a GREAT rematch of last years game (of course with the same ending :grin:)

How come no one has mention those Texas Aggies takin down Texas Tech in Lubbock?? We ain't won at their house since Newt was Speaker.

Soooo, I gotta get on here and brag a bit about my 7-0 TCU Horned Frogs. They spanked BYU yesterday and showed them the way to the exits at their home stadium.

(Final score 38-7) :clap:

Yeehah! GO FROGS!!! :grin:

That kick returner is awesome. I saw replays last week on Sportscenter highlights and wow, that boy has some moves. TCU will be a tough one come bowl season. The sad thing about rankings is that playing in a weak conference, you don't get tested week in and week out. So even with a couple strong NC opponents, it's hard to rank an undefeated TCU above other schools undefeated on other conferences. But, a school like Texas probably doens't want TCU on their schedule because thre's a risk they could lose, and for TCU, it's likely they could lose which would could ruin both of their seasons.

How come no one has mention those Texas Aggies takin down Texas Tech in Lubbock?? We ain't won at their house since Newt was Speaker.

Somehow I missed that one. Go Ags. Never met an Aggie I didn't like. Have one coming in to visit Friday as a matter of fact. I'd like to see you guys get back in that 10 win season range. Not only because I pull for you but it also means would be costing Texas some good recruits...

reminds me of a phone interview I had back in January of 97. the company was in Beaumont, TX and after the introductions were finished this growl of a voice asked me "Most important... Are you an Aggie or a Longhorrrrrrn?"

I said "neither, I'm a Gator!"

The growl returned with "A WHATT?????????????"

I replied, "A GATOR... You know, the National Champions...."

Surprisingly, they still made me an offer. :rofl:

I was wondering when that was going to come up. The Ags put it all together Saturday, and, in the words of Spike Dykes, "they whipped us like a tied up goat".

I don't think it's too early to ask who wants to be the "major" program to play the #4 Broncos with the nation's most efficient passer, sophomore Kellen Moore, in a BCS bowl game?

Could they eclipse the legendary Fiesta Bowl win?

edit (Sharon, one need not mention the Broncos are undefeated- it's just sort of a given)

Umm Mike?

2008 Poinsettia Bowl

I know it's not a BCS game and all, but . . . just sayin' :grin:

USC vs BYU for it all?

Nope, can't make enough money off that game so the so-called polls will never allow them ot be ranked high enough. that and the Computer don't like BYU because of their strength of schedule. The computers also don't like losses. Nope a Big 10, SEC or Big 12 team must be represented.

I think there's some fine print somewhere about that.

Besides, nobody wants to see a couple teams on the west coast play.

This could be a year that will highlight the need for some sort of playoff syste or a more objective computer model to do the ranking. There are going to be some angry folks no matter what happens. Life sure is easier where there a clear leader and fewer undefeated teams.

Honestly, it's hard to predict how non-BCS schools will preform. Hawaii in '08 didn't do well when facing a "real" defense and defensive line courtesy of Georgia. Utah beat Alabama last year. Boise State squeaked by Oklahoma in '07. and Utah punded Pittsburg in '05.

Indiana: 24, Iowa: 21 - Beginning of the 4th quarter

If Indiana wins this game (very doubtful, of course), Iowa will fall so far they probably won't even be ranked anymore. As it is, they had better kick it up a gear or two or, even though they win, they'll still fall a few notches down the chart anyhow.

And look at Purdue: after upsetting #7 Ohio State, they are getting creamed by Wisconsin, 37-0 with 2 minutes left in the game (my browser wasn't refreshed). And just like that, Iowa 28, Indiana 24. "That's why they play the game".

4th time Iowa has won after trailing going into the fourth quarter.

That's pretty dang good.

We hung on 45-42, in a game w/1100 yards of offense, intercepting in the end zone on the final play.

:Cool:

It also rained, again.

That's precipitation every game this year.

:lurk:

Go Gators...They finslly looked alot better than they previously....Hate looking ahead but the thumping that South Carolina took last night by the turnovers given up to Tennessee still looks like a Florida Alabama hookup in the SEC Championship.

Ducks look impressive....For some reason I'm still not sold on Iowa...USC see ya.......SEC vs Texas for all the marbles?

Florida certainly looked good yesterday. I don't understand why defenses can't stop the "Tebow runs up the middle for 6 yards" play. Make him beat you with his arm - which he still might do - but don't give him those runs.

oNE wORD........"H A W K E Y E S"

This one required a couples beer to watch the first 3 quarters. At least most of Stanzi's interceptions were on the opposite side of the field... so they were more like punts.

The one fumble... was just stupid. Lets see, the ball is tumbling end of end headed for the endzone for a touchback. I know... I'll grab it on the 10 yard line, and without any blockers run head on into 4 defenders where they easily punch he ball loose. Spivey should stick to breaking up pass plays and grabbing interceptions.

Iowa fans are very dissapointed in Oklahoma State... but happy with the performance of Oregon.

It's looking a lot like Texas vs. the SEC as mentioned above. Oh well. The way Iowa is playing, they are hardly deserving a shot at the National Title.

Go Gators...They finslly looked alot better than they previously....Hate looking ahead but the thumping that South Carolina took last night by the turnovers given up to Tennessee still looks like a Florida Alabama hookup in the SEC Championship.

Ducks look impressive....For some reason I'm still not sold on Iowa...USC see ya.......SEC vs Texas for all the marbles?

I hope the BAMA team is thinking that. Granted BAMA has played better and more consistently than my Tigers but guys we are still loaded with more talent than BAMA. Now can we harness it into a total effort? We'll know next seek. Don't count the chickens...

Lots can still happen, and usually does. LSU has a fair chance at playing spoilers to the Tide next week. And the "H A W K E Y E S" will be big SC fans as the 'ol Ballcoach tries to trip up the rested Gators the week after that. Iowa still has an opportunity to impress against an improving Ohio State, particularly if the Buckeyes can get past Penn State next week. Do you put a one loss Florida or Alabama ahead of an unbeaten and unsexy Iowa? Unlikely scenario, but I can feel the breeze from hANNABONE's beer opener from here.

Herbstreit said on Friday that Oregon is probably playing the best football in the country, and they backed that up yesterday. No one really left to tackle Texas, it seems.

Congrats to Herschel Walker - he looks like he can still play from the looks of that Zaxby's commercial that came on after Tebow took 4 years to beat his 3 year SEC scoring record.

Damned Rain. FSU would be 7-1 under drier conditions. :/

Jake,

We'd be 8-0 if Everret Brown hadn't left early for the NFL.

Any kind of a consistent pass rush (and he needed to be double teamed) would free up the rest of the defense to actually defend something.

The Big Ten EOY fire sale will result in no one being unbeaten from there.

The SEC will be lucky to have an unbeaten team after conference championship game.

I'm pulling for Boise (they did beat the Ducks, right?) St. and TCU or Cincinatti to end up #1.

Texas should be DQ'd for playing in the Big 10 South, too much media hype, and when did SEC refs start working Texas games.

That one yesterday was a travesty early on w/the zebras giving the Cowboys the short end of a longhorn.

Bring it on.

Hell, Michigan would be 8-0 if...er...Strike that, there's no way on earth Michigan could be 8-0 :cry:

That was a rough loss to Illinois. Michigans defense had no answers for them. I was even cheering for Michigan since Iowa doens't play Illinois. Helps that strength of schedule for the computers dontchaknow.

Archived