IGNORED

Blue Ridge Rendezvous in Maggie Valley, NC - April 25-27, 2008

Lone_RT_rider

Lone_RT_rider

I have posted some important information in the dinner thread that deals with using paypal. Please take a minute and check it out, especially those that have not gotten their payments in as of yet. grin.gifthumbsup.gif

Shawn

Just over 3 weeks away, woo hoo! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

I was just thinking about that this morning on my soggy ride to work. I was also excited that today was the first day I haven't used my Gerbings in a few months clap.gif

22 days, 38 minutes... grin.gif

Hmmmmmm.....where's that link to your countdown clock? smile.gif

Shawn

Right in my Sig line....

Now wouldn't that be a hoot!

He's a paper butt so I sort of had the fact that he would eventually back out in the back of my mind all along.

Lone_RT_rider
I'm hosting links to the GPS route file on my Count down page. Click on the image below to get to the page

routefiles-01.jpg

Good morning Don.. smile.gif

Yes people, these are the actual routes for the event that Ken Insley has so painstakingly prepared for us. There are a few more details here but that the just of it. Don has definitely hooked us up. Thank you sir! grin.gifthumbsup.gif

Shawn

So... we're up to 60 possible attendees... Can you list them by state and on which days they are going to be there?

Or... I could just ask if anyone from up this way will be traveling on Wednesday. E30TECH and I will be doing the trip in one day (don't tell him though grin.gif ) so I'm curious if there is anyone else that would like to meet up for the ride.

We should be at the Carlisle Diner in Carlisle, PA at around 9:30 Wednesday morning.

I want to ride the Cherohala and Dragon on Thursday to beat the weekend rush.

Don,

I'll be leaving Wed as well but a one day ride of 1000 miles doesn't appeal to me. I'd have to leave at 2 in the am to meet you in Carlisle at 9:30. I plan to ride the Cherohala and pass by the Gap on Fri. Have a safe trip.

This might be common knowledge, but I wasn't going to reread this whole thread. tongue.gif So, I went to cancel my room today (I may not make it at all, and if I do, I'll be sharing a room and didn't need mine), fully three weeks out. Yes, you lose all the money if you cancel it within a week. But no matter how far out you cancel it, they'll ding you $10. That's not an issue in the scheme of things, but they were quite rude about it. Just figured I'd give anyone who can't make it a head's up. Especially since they did NOT explain this to me on the phone, though the written confirmation they sent listed that. But then it's too late, right? grin.gif

Lone_RT_rider
This might be common knowledge, but I wasn't going to reread this whole thread. tongue.gif ........Yes, you lose all the money if you cancel it within a week. But no matter how far out you cancel it, they'll ding you $10.

I was not aware of that either David. Thanks for the heads up. Sorry you can't make it. crazy.gif

Shawn

This might be common knowledge, but I wasn't going to reread this whole thread. tongue.gif ........Yes, you lose all the money if you cancel it within a week. But no matter how far out you cancel it, they'll ding you $10.

I was not aware of that either David. Thanks for the heads up. Sorry you can't make it. crazy.gif

Shawn

I made my reservation pretty early on. The person I talked to was very clear about the policy. I guess the consistency of the message depends on who you talked to.

Lone_RT_rider
Yes, you lose all the money if you cancel it within a week. But no matter how far out you cancel it, they'll ding you $10.

Never an issue at Holiday Inn Express.

For the amount the HIE used to charge, I could make and cancel a few reservations and still be ahead.... tongue.gif

Shawn

Classy Shawn! smile.gif

I understand why the hotel does what they do, it's to prevent people from canceling last minute and leaving them empty.

But as far as your "so much cheaper" attitude you might check twice as you can only cancel and rebook three times and come out ahead. smile.gif Never mind the folks who need to cancel within that last week.

$30 isn't anywhere near as huge a deal as you've made it my friend.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Classy Shawn! smile.gif

I understand why the hotel does what they do, it's to prevent people from canceling last minute and leaving them empty.

But as far as your "so much cheaper" attitude you might check twice as you can only cancel and rebook three times and come out ahead. smile.gif Never mind the folks who need to cancel within that last week.

$30 isn't anywhere near as huge a deal as you've made it my friend.

Hey, $30 ($40, if you're arriving on Wednesday evening like me) buys a lot of bacon. crazy.gif

The MVI suits a different set of priorities: you save $10/night if you can make a firm commitment and get charged a bit if you have to cancel, whereas at the HIE charges everyone $10 more per night for the privilege of bailing at the last minute without any extra expense. Bad deal for people with volatile schedules, but good deal for the rest of us.

You're right, $30 is not a huge issue on a weekend when I'm going to burn through several hundred dollars' worth of food and fuel, but I'll take it. Others will be less enthused, and I'd invite those folks to offer their services (not just verbal input, but actual legwork) during the planning phases for future events.

The MVI suits a different set of priorities: you save $10/night if you can make a firm commitment and get charged a bit if you have to cancel, whereas at the HIE charges everyone $10 more per night for the privilege of bailing at the last minute

Canceling at the last minute (within the week) costs $250ish, or three days at the full rate at the MVI. Just to clarify.

If you want to get into the $30 "noise" then fill in the extra cost of dinner, and gas to get to/from the location. Do the analysis right. :-D

You're right, $30 is not a huge issue on a weekend when I'm going to burn through several hundred dollars' worth of food and fuel, but I'll take it. Others will be less enthused, and I'd invite those folks to offer their services (not just verbal input, but actual legwork) during the planning phases for future events.

I was going to say something similar.

This is not ElPaseo and it is not being held at the HIE. However, it should be a good event.

Sorry for those who have to cancel, but unfortunately there can be a price you pay for canceling last minute.

For those that are not happy about the accommodations at MVI and wish it were at the HIE, well it's only 25 miles... You might want to make it a nice ride in... thumbsup.gif

This is not ElPaseo and it is not being held at the HIE. However, it should be a good event.

No doubt. Maggie Valley is a great area, and the new hotel looks fine. The policies make it tougher for those who may have last minute changes of plan. So be it.

Just if you're going to compare costs to "other more expensive" events, at least be aware of the deltas. smile.gif

Shawn, please ignore the wailing and accept our thanks for the hard work you and Matt have put into this. To the few who have to make last minute decisions...I and others feel your pain. Life isn't always perfect.

Maybe another thread with a poll might give us some insight as to what people would feel is reasonable for cost.

How can you expect a determination of "reasonable cost" from folks who are willing to pay $15,000 to $20,000 for a motorcycle??? wink.gif

Tom, you know the old Joke? What's the cheapest thing on a BMW?

I think Shawn had it back on page one grin.gif

All in fun though...a dollar is a dollar...but I always wondered how the board could have such long arduous, discussions about oil and guns, but it turns out it can be done with any topic. lmao.gif

I'll see everyone there...

David

Shawn, please ignore the wailing and accept our thanks for the hard work you and Matt have put into this. To the few who have to make last minute decisions...I and others feel your pain. Life isn't always perfect.

+1 smile.gif

Hear, hear!!

Looking forward to seeing those of you who DO make it!! clap.gif

+2, 3, ... thumbsup.gif

We can't wait either! 14 days and a few hours before we're on our way!

It'll be over all too soon too.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say "In" just because. tongue.gif

Honestly, though, I feel a pull seeing as where this one is located. I absolutely love the east/southeast-corner area of the Smoky Mountains. Of course, attending this inaugural event has nothing to do with eating and enjoying the passage of time with you yahoos. blush.gifcrazy.gifthumbsup.gif

But, seriously, folks... cool.gif BR², here we come!! clap.gif

With this event rapidly approaching and reading a few of the threads that have popped up, I was reminded that I did say we were "IN" towards the beginning of the thread.

Work has impeded upon our availability to storm and pillage this inaugural event. Sadly, we will not be attending.

Now everybody can really have some fun. tongue.gifgrin.gif

I just canceled one of my rooms. I'm not sure if they were booked up but now they have a free one.

Having two rooms and canceling just one I wasn't charged the $10 service fee. They applied the entire $79 deposit to the remaining room.

Here's more competition: www.cherokeerally.com

Looking over the site brings up the question of why we don"t have a wet T-shirt contest ar our events.

One of the first El Paseos took place in Cherokee on the same weekend.

When I came through town I thought "Wow, we really have a diverse crowd on our DB"

That may be the first time I saw David's tassles and it wasn't during the wet T shirt contest lmao.gif

Yeah, but this being the BMWST.com crowd, we'd probably chide the participants for not being ATGATT.

...do they make hi-viz yellow t-shirts? grin.gif

Lone_RT_rider
Yeah, but this being the BMWST.com crowd, we'd probably chide the participants for not being ATGATT.

...do they make hi-viz yellow t-shirts? grin.gif

Hey man, I saw you going down Pelham past my work yesterday.... you resemble that remark Mr. Bumblebee! grin.gif

Shawn

P.S. Taking donations currently to keep clothes on. Send paypal to..... lmao.gif

Hey man, I saw you going down Pelham past my work yesterday.... you resemble that remark Mr. Bumblebee! grin.gif

That's me. The yellower, the better.

P.S. Taking donations currently to keep clothes on. Send paypal to..... lmao.gif

Oh lord. What have I gotten myself into? ...there will be alcohol at this thing for after the riding to erase unwanted imagery right? lmao.gif

Lone_RT_rider
Oh lord. What have I gotten myself into? ...there will be alcohol at this thing for after the riding to erase unwanted imagery right? lmao.gif

There is usually plenty of "Hooch" sitting around. Be wary of the man with the mason jar though. If he doesn't take you out with that jar, he will take you out the next day with that speech he gives "I'm just and old man. How fast could I really go? Come ride with me.. " grin.gif

Tick....tick....tick.... Two weeks left! Anyone else getting psyched? wave.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Shawn

P.S. A reminder, payment for the Saturday night dinner is due at the latest by the 19th of April. 2008.

I can't wait! I keep going over the routes in mapsource dreaming of what a great time I'm going to have.

Perry and I will be there Wednesday night so we'll be hittin the road early Thursday. I'll be squeezing as many miles into the three days as my body will allow.

Perry and I will be there Wednesday night

Perry is not sure if he can make it straight thru, but he is going to try. That ride will be more than 70% longer than his longest day trip wink.gif

Perry

Tick....tick....tick.... Two weeks left! Anyone else getting psyched?

thumbsup.gifclap.gifgrin.gif

Just told the boss today that I was going to be out those days. So it looks like everything is setting up perfect.

Archived