IGNORED

Blue Ridge Rendezvous in Maggie Valley, NC - April 25-27, 2008

Lone_RT_rider

Tick....tick....tick.... Two weeks left! Anyone else getting psyched?

thumbsup.gifclap.gifgrin.gif

Just told the boss today that I was going to be out those days. So it looks like everything is setting up perfect.

I'm stoked.......I need the vacation. This will be therapy for me!!!!

Remember Perry, It's only 5 consecutive 140 mile trips. Piece of cake!

What happened to the fine print beneath the countdown?

Remember Perry, It's only 5 consecutive 140 mile trips. Piece of cake!

Think he'll forget to put his feet down when stopping for gas after his first 250+ mile sprint? tongue.gif

My buddy did that on his sportster the first time we traveled down to OC, MD together. lmao.gif

Think he'll forget to put his feet down when stopping for gas after his first 250+ mile sprint? tongue.gif

My buddy did that on his sportster the first time we traveled down to OC, MD together. lmao.gif

250 miles on a Sportster? In one day?

Farking Titanium Butt there! lmao.gif

250 miles on a Sportster? In one day?

Farking Titanium Butt there! lmao.gif

He had it easy.....I was doing it on my GSXR eek.gif

Lone_RT_rider
I've done aboutg 220 on my ZX11 so it's not necessarily all bad. but it's not easy!

I did this ride in 1995 on this bike.

48638526_yco27-M.jpg

I am still amazed I lived to tell about it. crazy.gif It's no Iron butt event, but we started in Saginaw, MI and road to the start of the event in Grand Rapids, MI and then headed north with the group. That added another 150 miles to what was already going to be a long night. lol.

what is that Shawn?

Here's my 97 ZX at DG with a couple friend's bikes. Mine is the green one in the middle.

278300796_s4LMT-M.jpg

Lone_RT_rider
what is that Shawn?

It's a first year 1987 Yamaha FZR1000. It had a Yoshi race pipe, K&N stacks and a Dyna Stage 3 carb kit. At 7500 RPM with full throttle the pressure differential from the carbs that were right under my head (pointed up on this model) literally hurt my ears. This was before I started wearing ear plugs. That bike was a complete visceral experience. grin.gifthumbsup.gif

I'm totally with you.

My ZX11 did that about 7,000 RPM, it felt like a set of secondaries on a 4 barrel opening up!

I've done aboutg 220 on my ZX11 so it's not necessarily all bad. but it's not easy!

What's that yellow thing that keeps following me?

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

I guess it's all how you define "Touring Bike".

Sorry to say I am out. I will be at OBX with the family on spring break instead, due to some last minute planning by my beautiful bride.

Family comes first.

Funny, I just came across this thread (haven't been around much lately). I'll be riding the BRP this Wednesday from near Wytheville to Asheville - and then over to Deals Gap on Thursday before heading to Nashville later that day. As they say - timing is everything. Sorry I'll miss you guys.

Shawn,

Do to a family issue I won't be able to attend the BRR,

So there is a room avaiable and a free dinner. I know you

know of a deserving person in the group.

Lone_RT_rider
On a positive note, I'm STILL in.

Hmmmmm.... anyone check the temprature in Hades lately? Seem's its getting a bit cold down there. grin.giflmao.gif

Lone_RT_rider
Har-dee-friggin'-har.

wave.gif

grin.gifthumbsup.gif

On a serious note, did you check out the mud puppy routes yet? Ken is pretty famous for finding nooks and crannies up in Western, NC. What did you think?

Shawn

Art,

Sorry I won't get to say hi.

Seems a bit early for the beach but after the winter we had I guess it will be just right.

Tom

I'm not makin' the plans.

I'm bummed, since I spent a lot of time and effort to get the bike ready for this trip.

There's always next time.

Tom, if you're in the area, feel free to stop by. I'm buying dinner.

On a positive note, I'm STILL in.

I know this news makes it all worth while. tongue.gif

Phew!! Now I know I made the right decision to keep my reservations!! grin.gif

Seriously everybody ... I am getting SO wound up about this trip!! Can't wait to see so many of you! clap.gifclap.gif

Shawn,

Do to a family issue I won't be able to attend the BRR,

So there is a room avaiable and a free dinner. I know you

know of a deserving person in the group.

Sorry we'll miss ya Roger. I guess I'll have to find someone else to help hold down the bar stools........(I somehow don't think that will be much of a problem though wink.gif)

Hope all is well

Terri and I will help hold down bar stools! Well, that is if my bike is repaired in time. I know there's a lot of time before next Wed, but I'm so antsy about it I can barely stand it.

Terri and I will help hold down bar stools! Well, that is if my bike is repaired in time. I know there's a lot of time before next Wed, but I'm so antsy about it I can barely stand it.

Have a seat youngster.

New tires on Thursday.

Annual and 60k done.

Reservations for Tursday in Georgia, done.

Reservations for Maggie Valley, Friday and Saturday, done.

Dinner for 2, paid.

Route planned, loading to GPS.

Leave forms approved.

Weather forecast checked, daily, hourly.

199 hours until departure, but who's counting. smirk.gif

Lone_RT_rider
Just a reminder, payment for the Saturday night dinner is due at the latest by the 19th of April. 2008. grin.gifthumbsup.gif That's just one week left for payment! .

Shawn

Another quick reminder people, only 3 days left for submission of payment for the dinner. If you are going to send me a check rather than doing paypal, now would be the time to get that moving. Thanks!

Shawn

Lone_RT_rider
Shawn, What are you planning for weather. all the maps look like rain.

Hi there John! smile.gif

It's just a bit far out to start worrying about the weather in this neck of the woods. Forecasts in the mountains and foothills change on almost a daily basis around here. I just checked this morning and Friday and Saturday of next week look reasonable at this point. Look here.

Some of us early arrivers might get dowsed, but that's if you trust the forecast 6 days from when I will get there, which I don't. grin.gif

Shawn

sorry to say but i'm not going to be able to make it. wife and i decided to do something else. will be in south GA thursday, but back in FL friday. all have fun and be safe.

Lone_RT_rider
sorry to say but i'm not going to be able to make it. wife and i decided to do something else. will be in south GA thursday, but back in FL friday. all have fun and be safe.

Man Brian, all this time on the board and we have never broken bread. I hope someday we can say hello in person. If we decide to do this again in the fall, I hope you can clear a bit of your calendar and come join us for a day or so. You'll be missed. Have a great time with the family. smile.gif

Shawn

Lone_RT_rider
I just checked this morning and Friday and Saturday of next week look reasonable at this point. Look here.

Some of us early arrivers might get dowsed, but that's if you trust the forecast 6 days from when I will get there, which I don't. grin.gif

Crap! I just check the forecast again (Thanks Shannon!) and it has changed since this morning. That's a perfect example of how the weather forecast floats around for days up there in the mountains. I wouldn't put stock in it until a couple of days before hand. smile.gif

Shawn

I just checked this morning and Friday and Saturday of next week look reasonable at this point. Look here.

Crap! I just check the forecast again (Thanks Shannon!) and it has changed since this morning. That's a perfect example of how the weather forecast floats around for days up there in the mountains. I wouldn't put stock in it until a couple of days before hand. smile.gif

Shawn

Well I'll keep my fingers crossed ... but I sure am glad my new Cortech Sentinel rainsuit arrived from NewEnough.com yesterday!! grin.gif

(No more Frogg Toggs and water down the boots for me dopeslap.gif... I made sure these pants are LONG!!)

The first El Paseo, no one cared about the weather.

It snowed and folks rode through slush from all over. (Oklahoma-Florida-Michigan-New England)

I think Mitch froze to death, twice.

We've ridden through rain, snow, and wind, coming or going.

The real troopers were the folks returning north who encountered awful snow, ice, unrideable, roads.

For some reason, most of them showed up, again.

And, again.

And, again.

And, again,

And, again, again, again, again, again, and again.

At EP VIII or IX, the weather was forecasted to be rainy. Many bailed, some came and left early.

It rained at night.

It was beautiful.

I hope the BRR has some of the same mojo going for it.

Only one way to find out...

I know there will be some wonderful people there.

That's enough for us.

The first El Paseo, no one cared about the weather.

It snowed and folks rode through slush from all over. (Oklahoma-Florida-Michigan-New England)

I think Mitch froze to death, twice.

We've ridden through rain, snow, and wind, coming or going.

The real troopers were the folks returning north who encountered awful snow, ice, unrideable, roads.

For some reason, most of them showed up, again.

And, again.

And, again.

And, again,

And, again, again, again, again, again, and again.

At EP VIII or IX, the weather was forecasted to be rainy. Many bailed, some came and left early.

It rained at night.

It was beautiful.

I hope the BRR has some of the same mojo going for it.

Only one way to find out...

I know there will be some wonderful people there.

That's enough for us.

Thanks Tim, I thought about posting something similar.

There were many who canceled or left early and missed some great riding because of what was forecasted on The Weather Channel. The weather changes very fast up there and I find that most fronts move through faster than predicted, so I try to be prepared for it, but don't panic.

One tip: Most bad weather will come from the South West. If you ride one of the SW or West routes, you can ride out until it starts getting questionable, then cut the ride short and head back in front of the bad stuff.

Have a beer, watch the late arrivals, and talk to Marty who knows how to miss the rain somehow wave.gif

Paul Mihalka

Hey, all you have to do is to pick the right route. At one of the El Paseos on going-home Sunday TomK and Vita Rara rode northwest out of Asheville and got stuck in a foot of snow. I rode out northeast and had a great ride. Yeah, I'm rubbing it in wave.gif

I'm sorry I'll miss you guys and gals!

I have to stop visiting this thread... frown.gif

Seriously, folks. grin.gif

I'll be down there in June sometime. Maybe I can coax one of you in the area out for a ride at that point. At a minimum, I could probably twist Kinsley's virtual arm to meet me at T.W.O. for a bite to eat. cool.gif I'm looking to spend a few days in Hiawassee, so...

Have fun everyone. I will wait here in northern Illinois salivating Pavlovianally for your ride reports and pictures!

lurker.gif

Lone_RT_rider
I'll be down there in June sometime. Maybe I can coax one of you in the area out for a ride at that point. At a minimum, I could probably twist Kinsley's virtual arm to meet me at T.W.O. for a bite to eat.....

Give me a shout when this happens Brian. TWO is 2.5 hours from my house and the burgers are pretty good if I remember right. smile.gif

IN!!! thumbsup.gifgrin.gif

Shawn

At a minimum, I could probably twist Kinsley's virtual arm to meet me at T.W.O. for a bite to eat. cool.gif I'm looking to spend a few days in Hiawassee, so...

lurker.gif

UNCLE...UNCLE....I give, I'll be there....just let me know your dates. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Brynda and I will be riding in VA the week of the 9th to 15th, but I should be able to meet you any other time just to make sure you don't get lost or anything. lmao.giflmao.gif

Archived