IGNORED

Blue Ridge Rendezvous in Maggie Valley, NC - April 25-27, 2008

Lone_RT_rider

Vacation approved today. I'm IN

What days are you traveling to and from?

I'll have a couple of guys with me when we head down on Wednesday, the more the merrier.

I will be out of the country for an extended period so I will have to say no to this one.

Have a great time!

Uh Oh eek.gif

Is BB&B off too?

Have a great trip and I look forward to seeing you at future events wave.gif

I will be out of the country for an extended period so I will have to say no to this one.

Have a great time!

Uh Oh eek.gif

Is BB&B off too?

Have a great trip and I look forward to seeing you at future events wave.gif

Jim is going to host it this year. I will try and coordinate my vacation time for September to attend. Sorry about the hijack.

Steve,

I'm hoping that if you're stuck in someplace hot and sandy it's Aruba and not someplace else.

Be careful out there!

BTW, I recently met one of your students!

We'll be thinking of you Steve and will be looking forward to your safe return.

Lone_RT_rider

We'll be thinking of you Steve and will be looking forward to your safe return.

Amen... be safe Steve...

Shawn

I am now guaranteeing that we'll have excellent weather for Blue Ridge Rendezvous since Dianne and I just bought Gerbings jacket liners and gloves.

The weather should now accordingly be so good I don't need them! thumbsup.giflmao.gif

I knew it.

One weekend with Phil, & now you're a wuss. grin.gif

Look here Potsie... At least I was able to buy own and not impose on a bunch of people I've never met to get my 'lectrics... Whip? Limecreek? You guys care to add in here? wave.giflmao.gif

now, now, you know I love you like a brother. a red-headed step brother! lmao.gif

Lunch works for me, when?

smkymtntaco

Shawn and Matt,

There's some latebreaking news about Maggie Valley in the paper today...

The Museum Wheels through Time has announced that they will be relocating away from Maggie Valley by Aug. 31.

See here for the whole story. WTT story

Lone_RT_rider
Thanks Darrell, sounds like we better make sure we get up there then!

I had heard rumors of this very recently. I am sorry to hear its true. It makes me (and others) which direction he is going to move. I am going to make a prediction and say he is headed to TN. Of course, it's just a guess.

Shawn

RandyShields

Godspeed Steve. We will be thinking of you and looking forward to your safe return. And thanks for what you do for all of us.

Randy Shields

Lone_RT_rider

I have posted information on the Saturday night dinner here. Please take a minute and check this thread out while posting if you care to. Your payment will secure your place on the list for dinner. Just posting "In" won't cover this. Thanks to all of you for your enthusiasm and interest. I really look forward to seeing all of you on the 25th in Maggie Valley, NC. smile.gif

Shawn

Hey guys.....looks like I'm flying solo and don't have a place to sleep when I get to Maggie Valley. I'm ok with getting my own room if I have to, but I first wanted to see if anyone had an empty bed and wanted to split the cost of the room. I'm planning to get in Thursday afternoon, and heading out early Sunday morning.

FYI.....I'm a non-smoker, take daily showers, don't snore too loud, I like long walks on the beach, and like to stay up late drinking beer and BSing (unless I fall asleep in a lawn chair and spill beer on myself.....oh yeah, I'm also honest) grin.gif

Any takers

I'm a non-smoker, take daily showers, don't snore too loud, I like long walks on the beach

Let me know if you still need one. Perry and I have got two rooms with two racks each and there are only three of us heading down.

We're heading down on Wednesday but we're also leaving Sunday morning for the trip north.

I've been planning this trip for a while & a few of my co-workers have shown serious interest in heading down with me. So, I put this plan on paper to give them an idea of what they will be in for. If anyone is flying solo & would like to hook up with us, let me know. If you have any suggestions to make this ride better, I'd love to hear it. thumbsup.gif

Pat

Blue Ridge Rendezuous

Leave Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Meet at Center Fire Station at 8:00 am

Wednesday, Day 1

MA I 495 s

I 290 w

I 90 w

NY I 90 w

Taconic State Pkwy s

I 84 w

PA I 84 w

I 81 s

MD I 81 s

WV I 81 s

VA I 81 s

Stopping as close to

Roanoke VA as possible.

Thursday, Day 2

VA I 81 s

I 521 s exit 143

Rt 220 s

Blue Ridge Pkwy s

Ending the day in Ashville NC.

Friday, Day 3

NC Blue Ridge Pkwy s

Rt 19 n (Soco Rd)

To Maggie Valley NC.

Staying at the

Maggie Valley Inn

70 Soco Rd MV NC

(866)926-0201

ALT Route

I40W to Exit 27

Rt 74 w

Rt 19 s

To Maggie Valley NC

Saturday, Day 4

NC/TN Ride the Dragon

Rt 19 s

Blue Ridge Pkwy s

Rt 441 s

Rt 74/19 w

Rt 28 w

Stop at Fontana Dam

Rt 129 n to Deals Gap &

The Dragon.

Foothills Pkwy n

Rt 73/321 e to

Smoky Mountain Scenic

Hwy 73

Left on Cades Cove Rd

It becomes Little River Rd

Rt 441 s

Blue Ridge Pkwy n

Rt 19 n

6:30 PM - Dinner @ Maggie Valley Inn ($21.00 pre pay)

Sunday, Day 5

NC

Visit Wheels Through Time Museum

62 Vintage Lane

MV NC

(828) 926-6266

Open 9:00Am-5:00PM

$12 Admission

Rt 19 n

Rt 276 s

(optional) Rt 64 w to Bridal Veil Falls

Rt 64 e to Chimney Rock

Monday, Day 6

Spend the day at Chimney Rock

Tuesday, Day 7

NC Head North (Home)

Rt 74 n

Rt 240 w

Rt 23 n

Rt 181 n

I 81 n

Wednesday, Day 8

I 81 n

I 84 e

I 90 e

I 290 e

I 495 n

Home, or as close to home!!! wave.gif

Tewks, I wouldn't stop in Asheville, I'd roll the extra 40 miles to the Maggie Inn. There will be many of us there already on Thursday.

That would allow you to hit the Dragon (if you feel you must risk the extra enforcement) on a weekday before as many of the squids are there.

Secondly, I would strongly recommend that you ride the Cherohala Skyway while you're there. It's about a 100 mile round trip but with far less traffic and much more fun than the dragon.

Third, if you're in the mood to spend $15 to enter a park, go to Grandfather Mountain up near Linville, NC off of the parkway. The views are better, the "mile high swinging bridge" is cool to walk over too. Chimney rock is cool for a couple things, mostly that one of the largest fall waterfalls in NC is there, it drops something like 400 feet, but, other than the height, there are many better waterfalls in the area. Try looking here for NC waterfalls and you'll find something like 90 falls in Transylvania county alone.

I don't want to dissuade you if you are set on those attractions, just hoping to offer some alternatives to make sure that you get the most out of your visit to the area.

Tewks, I wouldn't stop in Asheville, I'd roll the extra 40 miles to the Maggie Inn. There will be many of us there already on Thursday.

That would allow you to hit the Dragon (if you feel you must risk the extra enforcement) on a weekday before as many of the squids are there.

Secondly, I would strongly recommend that you ride the Cherohala Skyway while you're there. It's about a 100 mile round trip but with far less traffic and much more fun than the dragon.

Third, if you're in the mood to spend $15 to enter a park, go to Grandfather Mountain up near Linville, NC off of the parkway. The views are better, the "mile high swinging bridge" is cool to walk over too. Chimney rock is cool for a couple things, mostly that one of the largest fall waterfalls in NC is there, it drops something like 400 feet, but, other than the height, there are many better waterfalls in the area. Try looking here for NC waterfalls and you'll find something like 90 falls in Transylvania county alone.

I don't want to dissuade you if you are set on those attractions, just hoping to offer some alternatives to make sure that you get the most out of your visit to the area.

Good suggestions, but if you're there for the roads and you want better roads and less traffic than The Dragon, stay in Blowing Rock (Hemlock Inn is good) and ride the roads to the west of Spruce Pine (80, 197, 19W, etc.) on your way down to BRR. You'll arrive with a huge smile and I'll let you you buy me a beer thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Time to pull out the Rand McNally again. Hey, I thought the beer was free on Friday night. grin.gif

Pat

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Time to pull out the Rand McNally again. Hey, I thought the beer was free on Friday night. grin.gif

Pat

nope, free beer tomorrow... lmao.gif

I like the Taconic better than the traffic in Hartford & Waterbury. I'm guessing the Taconic adds about an hour?

Pat

Lone_RT_rider
That's awesome! thumbsup.gif

Yes it is... Very cool! Now all we need is a central website like that as a location for downloading the GPS routes when we post them (probaby a few weeks before the event).

Shawn

Yes it is... Very cool! Now all we need is a central website like that as a location for downloading the GPS routes when we post them (probaby a few weeks before the event).

Shawn

I added a link to a zip file containing all the files I found here (Loafers Glory, Smokey Mtn Park, Helen GA, Ducktown, and Lake Lure). I also included GPX files of them all for those that aren't using Mapsource products.

Lone_RT_rider
I added a link to a zip file containing all the files I found here (Loafers Glory, Smokey Mtn Park, Helen GA, Ducktown, and Lake Lure). I also included GPX files of them all for those that aren't using Mapsource products.

Thanks so much Don. smile.gif

Shawn

Lone_RT_rider

Just a quick reminder people. If you haven't taken the time to send me a paypal with the money for Saturday nights dinner please take the time to do so soon. The info and dinner thread is here.

Thanks again! grin.gifthumbsup.gif

Shawn

If anyone is coming thru Richmond Virginia Area and needs a rest stop / or whatever let me know. I've got an extra bed and a comfy sofa (and plenty of floor space..but the dog will probably lick you to death) or if you just need coffee and a bathroom. My house is in the middle of nowhere (just ask OoPEZoO) about 30 mins north west of Richmond in a town called Beaverdam. Some nice scenic roads if you like seeing a lake, old farm houses and some decent twisties and such. Anyway, if your passing thru or need any help, let me know...I'll do what I can.

Folkdancer48

I am not certain if you saw my other post, so I am sending a second one letting you know that I have sent in my $21.00 for Saturday night's dinner. Sorry to be among the stragglers, but I have not been on line in several weeks due to travel and business and did not see your first post on this issue.

Lone_RT_rider
It's all good Dick, I know you sent it and I'm sure Shawn will confirm w/you.

I replied earlier today directly to the email used to make his paypal payment. He's all set. smile.gif

Shawn

Lone_RT_rider
It's all good Dick, I know you sent it and I'm sure Shawn will confirm w/you.

I replied earlier today directly to the email used to make his paypal payment. He's all set. smile.gif

Ok, just to clear up any confusion I have gone back through all the paypal notices and replied to all the payments I have recieved. So far only one email bounced..... Todd (Big-T) your all set... grin.gif

Shawn

I had a friend of mine bail on me so there's an extra dinner floating around here unless I can find someone else interested in taking the ride down.

Lone_RT_rider
I had a friend of mine bail on me so there's an extra dinner floating around here unless I can find someone else interested in taking the ride down.

Sorry to hear that Don. Keep us posted.

Shawn

Lone_RT_rider
His loss...

I'm sure someone will split the extra meal with me if I don't find a replacement grin.gif

I'm sure someone will be hungry enough to help. smile.gif

Oh... were at 55 and counting for dinner. thumbsup.gif

Shawn

Archived