IGNORED

Blue Ridge Rendezvous in Maggie Valley, NC - April 25-27, 2008

Lone_RT_rider

I can only imagine how that conversation went ... lmao.gif

Thankfully it went through yahoo messenger vs. in person. crazy.gif

Planned that way perhaps? lmao.gif

I might make it for one or two days, depending on how much studying I can get done before hand. crazy.gif

Count me in and it looks like I'll be looking for a roommate cause ChrisK's +1 ain't me! Guess I've been replaced! bncry.gif

Life is tough sometimes. lmao.gif

Lone_RT_rider
Count me in and it looks like I'll be looking for a roommate cause ChrisK's +1 ain't me! Guess I've been replaced! bncry.gif

There are so many places I could have gone with that, but with the amount of times Mitch and I have split the cost of rooms on the road and how quick this crew would be to fire it back.... I just ain't goin there! lmao.gif

There are so many places I could have gone with that, but with the amount of times Mitch and I have split the cost of rooms on the road and how quick this crew would be to fire it back.... I just ain't goin there! lmao.gif

That's okay, Shawn.

I won't tell anyone you're sleeping with Matt the night before Cedar Key.

lurker.gif

Good work, Shawn. Reservation made.

Don Shaffer, now you won't be the only one coming from the northeast. Not many riders from up this way have attended past El Paseo's ( PeterD excepted.) It's a bit of a haul (about 1000 for me) but it is well worth it. Absolutely the finest roads on the east coast. Some of the nice folks I've met in this region should consider it. That means you, Fasterpill, Tewks, and Armando

Maybe another thread with a poll might give us some insight as to what people would feel is reasonable for cost.

How can you expect a determination of "reasonable cost" from folks who are willing to pay $15,000 to $20,000 for a motorcycle??? wink.gif

Lone_RT_rider
Maybe another thread with a poll might give us some insight as to what people would feel is reasonable for cost.

How can you expect a determination of "reasonable cost" from folks who are willing to pay $15,000 to $20,000 for a motorcycle??? wink.gif

Tom, you know the old Joke? What's the cheapest thing on a BMW?

Don Shaffer, now you won't be the only one coming from the northeast. Not many riders from up this way have attended past El Paseo's ( PeterD excepted.) It's a bit of a haul (about 1000 for me) but it is well worth it. Absolutely the finest roads on the east coast. Some of the nice folks I've met in this region should consider it. That means you, Fasterpill, Tewks, and Armando

I attended the Autum 04 ElPaseo. I was on my way down for the Spring 05 El when the weather turned bad, Tour De Georgia closed roads, and hurt my back in Blowing Rock, NC.

What day are you heading down? I was thinking about going on Wednesday just so I could pack in a full day of riding on Thursday.

IN, I need to call and book a room but will wait for Monday given the concerns about group rates.

Working on my friend Jon (the R6 guy).

Waaay to far out for me to commit, but I'd like to shoot for Thursday-Sunday. Call or email and we'll firm things up. Hell, walk over for a beer! thumbsup.gif

Hey Don,

I'm thinking about making the run, but Wednesday is a conflict with my son's birthday.

Just thinking out loud now...........Possibly could meet you in Roanoke Thursday night.

You're thinking BRP on the way down? I think I need 5-6 days to do it right.

Hey Don,

I'm thinking about making the run, but Wednesday is a conflict with my son's birthday.

Just thinking out loud now...........Possibly could meet you in Roanoke Thursday night.

You're thinking BRP on the way down? I think I need 5-6 days to do it right.

Super Slab there and back for me. Although a nice road, the BRP is too slow. It's only 684 miles one way so for me it's a single days ride.

Sorry it doesn't work out well. I'll save you a spot at the bar though wave.gif

I haven't noticed any posts for GPX route downloads yet. I've created one from one of the loops I did last June if anyone wants to down load it. This is best done on a weekday as it includes a trip down the Dragon. It does have a great stretch of the BRP just to see if you're awake then turns west towards an afternoon on the Cherohala. It's 330 miles round trip.

You can access the zip file by clicking on the image below

BRR_cherohala-dealsgap-330.jpg

IN!!!!!! thumbsup.gif

I've been pouring over maps of that area for the past two weeks (due to a location hint from Matt wink.gif). Lots of squiggley lines around there.......I can't wait grin.gif.

If I can't talk James (jbr7t) into tagging along, I might be needing a room mate.

Keith,

What day are you heading down?

IN!!!!!! thumbsup.gif

I've been pouring over maps of that area for the past two weeks (due to a location hint from Matt wink.gif). Lots of squiggley lines around there.......I can't wait grin.gif.

If I can't talk James (jbr7t) into tagging along, I might be needing a room mate.

Keith,

Here is my plan as of now (could change at any time)

I live in PA, but work in Towson, MD

Idealy, I would like to leave right from work on Wed afternoon sometime. I planned to slab it around the Baltimore and DC beltways then straight down 95 (possibly meeting up with TyTass and/or jbr7t near Richmond, VA). When I get below Richmond, I'm going to pickup 85 and head to Raleigh, NC where we will have free lodging and cold beer waiting (courtesy of my best friend Joe). I would like to make it down there by dark on Wed night, but that might really be pushing it. Then I figured I would preplan a fun backroad romp from Raleigh over to Maggie Valley for Thursday. Its less than 300 miles between the two, so it should be a perfect ride for Thursday morning/early afternoon.

Your more than welcome to tag along at any point. My buddy Joe lives by himself and owes me more than a few favors, so I don't feel bad about showing up on his doorstep with a small army grin.gif

IN!!!!!! thumbsup.gif

Keith,

Here is my plan as of now (could change at any time)

I live in PA, but work in Towson, MD

Idealy, I would like to leave right from work on Wed afternoon sometime. I planned to slab it around the Baltimore and DC beltways then straight down 95 (possibly meeting up with TyTass and/or jbr7t near Richmond, VA). When I get below Richmond, I'm going to pickup 85 and head to Raleigh, NC where we will have free lodging and cold beer waiting (courtesy of my best friend Joe). I would like to make it down there by dark on Wed night, but that might really be pushing it. Then I figured I would preplan a fun backroad romp from Raleigh over to Maggie Valley for Thursday. Its less than 300 miles between the two, so it should be a perfect ride for Thursday morning/early afternoon.

Your more than welcome to tag along at any point. My buddy Joe lives by himself and owes me more than a few favors, so I don't feel bad about showing up on his doorstep with a small army grin.gif

i'll need a copy of the raleigh/maggie back road route. my plan is to do the reverse and leave maggie to visit my daughter in durham. hope you don't mind my mooching off your rand mcnally efforts. lurker.gif

Then I figured I would preplan a fun backroad romp from Raleigh over to Maggie Valley for Thursday. Its less than 300 miles between the two, so it should be a perfect ride for Thursday morning/early afternoon.

That's an interesting alternative. As time gets close I'll contact you via a PM and let you know what my plans are. Thank your friend for letting you offer up his place as a waypoint. I'll be traveling with 12 other guys! grin.gif

Thank your friend for letting you offer up his place as a waypoint. I'll be traveling with 12 other guys! grin.gif

Oh.....he doesn't know yet lmao.gif

I just told him that I'd be rolling through for a day in April, and I might not be alone. Trust me though......we inconvenience each other like this all the time grin.gif. About 10 years ago, he rolled up to my parents house in a beat up VW jetta loaded with everything he owned. He then proceeded to move in, eat my food, and drink my beer for the next year. Needless to say......he owes me grin.gif

I can give you two good ways from Raleigh using the Blue Ridge Parkway. The first: Over to Hillsborough (probably using I-40 to 147--the Durham Freeway), Up 86 to Danville,VA, then up to Alta Vista and over on scenic hwy 43 to Bedford,VA and the BRP at Peaks of Otter.

The second: I-40 to Winston-Salem and then 421 to Boone, NC and the BRP.

In either case, follow the Parkway all the way to just below Maggie Valley or bail out early in Ashville and rejoin I-40. You can also bail out earlier at Linville and follow 181 down to Morganton and I-40. 181 is a fun road.

If you take the BRP past Boone and are well ahead of schedule, you might want to continue up 421 toward Bristol, TN. Shady Valley and "the Snake" are just up the road. It has pretentions of being Deals Gap. You can check out videos on youtube.

If the weather holds, I may try coming back along the Parkway. Need to check and see if Willville will be open; the campgrounds along the Parkway don't open until May and I'll be over budget for motelling by then. There's also a campground at Shady Valley. Both have cabins. Oh, almost forgot, there's a KOA in Boone.

Hope this helps.

Tom,

Beth and I won't get there 'til Friday.

But, based on previous experiences. a rez in the hand is worth two at a hotel down the road.

wave.gif

Here is a quick rundown of what I came up with for our Raleigh to Maggie Valley run on Thursday.

Head West out of Raleigh on Old Greensboro Rd till we hit 49

49S to 64W

Follow 64W till we hit 40

slab 40W until Hickory and pick up 70W

follow 70W until Marion and pick up 80N

take 80N to 19E (west) and over to 197S

follow 197S to Newfound Rd, and follow that to 19W

19W should take us right into the hotel

It comes out to 315 miles and approx 6 hours & 20 min. Any thoughts or comments? I've never been to the area, so I'm just staring at maps and guessing

I'm gonna have to be a really REALLY BIG ???? With my daughter being due March 16 and the fact that I just sold my RT, probably not the best timing for me. I might be able to talk my cousin into letting me borrow his GS for a weekend, but talking the wife into letting me go ride a bike and drink beer while leaving her home to change diapers and such....i just don't see that going over to well. tongue.gif

I'm in, made reservations for Fri and Sat. Will leave Raleigh on Thur. and take in Shady Valley and Bits of the BRP on my way to Maggie on Friday. Counting the days. wave.gif

Lone_RT_rider
I'm in, made reservations for Fri and Sat. Will leave Raleigh on Thur. and take in Shady Valley and Bits of the BRP on my way to Maggie on Friday. Counting the days. wave.gif

Welcome to the nut house. smile.gif I think you will have a blast at our event. There's some serious history behind what were doing here, most of which can be found id you do a search for threads on the words "El Paeso". Speaking of history, with a nic like your you will soon find out that "Sock Monkey" is a bit a legend around here.

Another question though, I noticed that you are from Holly Springs, NC. I did a quick search on MS Streets a trips and found there are a couple of Holly Springs in NC. Are you close to Asheville or Raleigh?

Shawn

Here is a quick rundown of what I came up with for our Raleigh to Maggie Valley run on Thursday.

49S to 64W

It comes out to 315 miles and approx 6 hours & 20 min. Any thoughts or comments? I've never been to the area, so I'm just staring at maps and guessing

You've pick a good way out of Raleigh to avoid the RTP morning traffic. I was just down in that area (looking for Saxapahaw). The roads are dull, flat, not scenic, and you'll need to watch out of the local sheriffs looking for revenue. Don't know about the other side of Asheboro. The rest of it looks good on my map, but I've never been. May try it on my way back.

The Blue Ridge Parkway is still more fun, but it is such a time-suck. I also suspect you'll have enough twisty roads once you get to Maggie Valley.

49S to 64W

A modification:

Continue on 49 and go through Liberty, NC. Take Old Liberty Road into Asheboro, NC and then catch 64W. Old Liberty road is a local favorite that you shouldn't miss.

Also.... You may find 70 to be a complete bore. You might want to consider catching 64 West of Rutherfordton, NC to a point West of Chimney Rock. Perhaps aim to catch the BRP somewhere South of Ashville and then catch 276 to angle towards the Maggie Valley area.

pedro cerveza

49S to 64W

A modification:

Continue on 49 and go through Liberty, NC. Take Old Liberty Road into Asheboro, NC and then catch 64W. Old Liberty road is a local favorite that you shouldn't miss.

Also.... You may find 70 to be a complete bore. You might want to consider catching 64 West of Rutherfordton, NC to a point West of Chimney Rock. Perhaps aim to catch the BRP somewhere South of Ashville and then catch 276 to angle towards the Maggie Valley area.

It would be 64 to where it intersects with NC9 and 74A. Take 74A towards Asheville, you'll go up through Gerton (great twisties) and down into Fairview. You can stop at Acme in Fairview. They are an indie BMW shop, free coffee, friendly folks and they usually have a bunch of antique airheads worth looking at. The BRP is just a few miles up the road from Acme.

A modification:

It would be 64 to where it intersects with NC9 and 74A. Take 74A towards Asheville, you'll go up through Gerton (great twisties) and down into Fairview. You can stop at Acme in Fairview. They are an indie BMW shop, free coffee, friendly folks and they usually have a bunch of antique airheads worth looking at. The BRP is just a few miles up the road from Acme.

Thanks guys...thumbsup.gif...I'll check it out on Mapsource/Mapquest/Google Maps when I get home.

I'm in for Thursday, Friday, Saturday. Rough plan to slab down Thursday. Probably head north Sunday and take two days to ride home.

Thanks for planning this, Shawn.

Lone_RT_rider
I'm in for Thursday, Friday, Saturday. Rough plan to slab down Thursday. Probably head north Sunday and take two days to ride home.

I appreciate the thanks Art but this is a co-planned event. Matt(Matts_Vstrom) and myself are both working hard to make this happen.

We look forward to seeing you then. Do me a favor and drag every NorthEasterner you can with you... Ok? What the heck happened to MattS? I see him posting occasionally and I noticed his location is Jersey again and not TN. Anyone?.....Buehller....Buehller....

I appreciate the thanks Art but this is a co-planned event. Matt(Matts_Vstrom) and myself are both working hard to make this happen.

Matt working hard?!?

Where? When? ne_nau.gif

Lone_RT_rider
Shawn,

I'll call Gregg and see if he and Candi can come.

Tell Candi I'll make sure people leave the whip cream at home. crazy.gif

22140315-M.jpg

I will try to make it as well ,sounds like fun .Just depends on work ,just took a new role and it involves a lot more of me .More responsibility and the same pay ,not sure what I was thinking . The one nice thing is its steady dayshift . Dave

Hey Art , I tried to respond to your PM but it said your mailbox was full . Dave

Waaay to far out for me to commit, but I'd like to shoot for Thursday-Sunday. Call or email and we'll firm things up. Hell, walk over for a beer! thumbsup.gif

That sounds great! But after running the Phoenix Marathon this coming Sunday, I may drive over smirk.gif

Formerly_Capecodbeemer

Shawn, I am planning on coming down the street. Still need a hand on Fri? My Weber is ready.

Just 20 minutes off 40 are these guys

225699542-M.jpg

If you don't mind a little dirt its a great detour, best late afternoon.

wfbeckerinnc@gmail.com

Archived