IGNORED

2024 START (Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour) April 24-28, 2024 Newport, TN

Indy Dave

Indy Dave

@XR Russ Thanks Russ.... In my advancing age, I couldn't remember your board name... so I improvised and listed you as  Rainbow  Rambo Russ. I'll swap your name next time I update the list. To be fair, I had, in one attendee update, included you and the other usual suspects from The Racing Capitol of The World :ohboy:with the preface "Indy" - but not wanting to embarrass @RTinNC, I decided I was just rubbing it in, and changed that on the next update.

• Smile 1
2 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

@XR Russ Thanks Russ.... In my advancing age, I couldn't remember your board name... so I improvised and listed you as  Rainbow  Rambo Russ. I'll swap your name next time I update the list. To be fair, I had, in one attendee update, included you and the other usual suspects from The Racing Capitol of The World :ohboy:with the preface "Indy" - but not wanting to embarrass @RTinNC, I decided I was just rubbing it in, and changed that on the next update.

image.png.2eeea701f49c573b32d1d553067b5e8e.png

• Haha 2

Good morning, I'm new to the group. Enjoying the forums. I pan to attend START '24. Any registration to be included? Thanks. Looking forward to riding with you folks.

Wayne

• Like 3

Welcome to the board, Wayne.   We look forward to seeing you there.

As @Indy Dave posted earlier about our blocked out rooms:  they are all full of us.   Which is a good thing.  :clap:

There is a thread about rooming with someone and any cancellations that may occur.   Check it out:  https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/topic/108690-hotel-room-shareroommatecancellation-thread-newport-tn-start/

Also check out the https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/topic/108676-first-timer-info/

You may have already read those, but what the hey?   

Cheers!

• Like 2
Motorhead1977

In answer to your question, no, there's no registration to be included. Just say you're going to attend and get a place to stay/someone to share a room with and follow these threads so you stay up to date. See you there.

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, Motorhead1977 said:

In answer to your question, no, there's no registration to be included. Just say you're going to attend and get a place to stay/someone to share a room with and follow these threads so you stay up to date. See you there.

Thanks! Yes, I am going. Looking forward to meeting you all.

• Like 2
Indy Dave
On 1/13/2024 at 8:45 PM, R65_Steve said:

Other than booking a room, is there a fee to be paid?

On 1/13/2024 at 9:05 PM, Bluenoser said:

No fee other than newbies buying dinner on the 1st night.

On 1/13/2024 at 9:18 PM, R65_Steve said:

For the whole group?!

On 1/14/2024 at 9:49 AM, Bluenoser said:

Heavens no, just for the RT riders.

@Wayne   @R65_Steve will be glad to know he's not on the hook alone for the 5 course meal and libations. 

• Haha 5

Welcome to the board.   We look forward to meeting you and seeing your bike in April!

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, JAFelix said:

I just joined and will be at START on Thursday April 25.

Welcome to the board, from NE-FL.

• Like 1

I convinced @JAFelix to attend START, so you may feel I'd be obligated to join him.  Nope.  @Boxflyer hooked me up with some of his tools this past fall, so I feel I'm obligated to provide him with his favorite beverage.  Plans are to arrival later in the day on Thursday and stay at the Econolodge.

• Like 3
Indy Dave

Always great to have seasoned regulars @Chris K and @Foot  in out midst, and while we always look forward to seeing them and all of the other established inmates who make it their custom to regularly join us at The Art's, we all look forward to having new faces (and stories) added into our mix. Welcome @Borg @JAFelix!

As of Feb. 12:

whosgoing2024newportNov1pg1sm.thumb.jpg.e0d313d6103f6f69934c00f61642b047.jpg 

whosgoing2024newportMar19pg2.thumb.jpg.5ac4bdb317127d7341edf711857c3676.jpg

whosgoing2024newportPg3Mar18.thumb.jpg.4ced580fcea319b9470410f6c487ac57.jpg

• Like 1
11 hours ago, JAFelix said:

I just joined and will be at START on Thursday April 25.

Welcome, you should add a map marker and introduce yourself in the new member section.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Borg said:

I convinced @JAFelix to attend START, so you may feel I'd be obligated to join him.  Nope.  @Boxflyer hooked me up with some of his tools this past fall, so I feel I'm obligated to provide him with his favorite beverage.  Plans are to arrival later in the day on Thursday and stay at the Econolodge.

Welcome and come introduce yourself in the new member section.

• Like 2

New member.  Attending START in April 2024 with a couple of friends.  Looks like a great event!

• Like 4

Welcome Doug!  Pretty sure we met on the way home from Barber. 

START is a fun event for sure. 

• Like 4
Indy Dave
On 2/19/2024 at 9:28 AM, DouginNC said:

New member.  Attending START in April 2024 with a couple of friends.  Looks like a great event!

On 2/20/2024 at 1:01 AM, Crumpadump said:

I’m planning to make the shindig Wednesday-Sunday. I’ll be looking for a room. 

10 hours ago, rreynold said:

I'm in!  Will arrive 4/24, probably late, through Saturday 27th.

Welcome and thanks for joining us! :clap:

If it's your first time, sorta-kinda what to expect can be found here: https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/topic/108676-first-timer-info/

Meal, routes and itinerary will be posted about 4 weeks out. I'll get your names added to the slides.

Feel free to post any questions here in the thread or PM me directly.

Thanks, and Welcome! :5210:

• Like 2
10 hours ago, rreynold said:

I'm in!  Will arrive 4/24, probably late, through Saturday 27th.

You must be Bobs family member.  You should introduce yourself i the new member section.  I think you are from Indiana?

On 2/22/2024 at 8:49 AM, TSConver said:

You must be Bobs family member.  You should introduce yourself i the new member section.  I think you are from Indiana?

Yes, Bob's cousin, I hung around here a little in the past but it has been some years.  Just got busy at other stuff.

Rick

2019 G310GS

2015 F700GS

2013 K1300S

1977 R100/7

• Like 1
Indy Dave
On 2/22/2024 at 8:49 AM, TSConver said:

I think you are from Indiana?

On 2/24/2024 at 10:25 PM, rreynold said:

Yes

Rick

2019 G310GS

2015 F700GS

2013 K1300S

1977 R100/7

Say What?! Another Hoosier?! Say it ain't so? Mr. Ed @RTinNC isn't gonna like this! Where abouts in Indiana?

whosgoing2024newportMar19pg2.thumb.jpg.5ac4bdb317127d7341edf711857c3676.jpg

whosgoing2024newportPg3Mar18.thumb.jpg.4ced580fcea319b9470410f6c487ac57.jpg

• Smile 1
  • Haha 2
8 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

Say What?! Another Hoosier?! Say it ain't so? Mr. Ed @RTinNC isn't gonna like this! Where abouts in Indiana?

whosgoing2024newportFeb6pg2.thumb.jpg.8c8e8ff6a1e96b11079df73baeffd688.jpg

whosgoing2024newportPg3Feb27.thumb.jpg.e8842a33df649b0c6ffa2b7f967751c3.jpg

I count 18 first-timers....good stuff!

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
10 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

Say What?! Another Hoosier?! Say it ain't so? Mr. Ed @RTinNC isn't gonna like this! 

Well your recruiting efforts seem to be paying off 🤨.    However, It appears the “Charlotte Crew” is now up to 10 participants including pillions.  We are small but mighty 😁

and we’ve got songs written about Carolina too boot :18:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I think the Carolina boyz need to step it up. Word thru the grapevine is that Indy Dave is handing out free Rush Cd's to anyone he can recruit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thinking 1
Indy Dave
31 minutes ago, taylor1 said:

I think the Carolina boyz need to step it up. Word thru the grapevine is that Indy Dave is handing out free Rush Cd's to anyone he can recruit. 

Dave Dave Dave. Even I know that would disincentivize participation - even more so than my almost famous music, movie quote and Ride Tale video  quiz flop  very hard stumper. :computer:

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 2
9 hours ago, RTinNC said:

Well your recruiting efforts seem to be paying off 🤨.    However, It appears the “Charlotte Crew” is now up to 10 participants including pillions.  We are small but mighty 😁

and we’ve got songs written about Carolina too boot :18:

We should just go carolina crew.  Then we have the majority.

marcopolo

IndyDave told me he was going to dust off his considerable collection of Rush eight-tracks for raffle prizes.

• Smile 3
  • Haha 2
Lone_RT_rider
1 minute ago, marcopolo said:

IndyDave told me he was going to dust off his considerable collection of Rush eight-tracks for raffle prizes.

Dangit!  Now I'll have to buy a 78 Trans Am to play them on!

image.png.a049440eae4b14b93d9b03ee9cfbadbe.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Since we're pickin on Dave, does that including one of his many life size posters of Geddy Lee   :dontknow:

28 minutes ago, marcopolo said:

his considerable collection of Rush eight-tracks for raffle prizes.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

Since we’re talking numbers and music here ….. how many songs written about the Carolinas vs songs written about Indiana. 

:4907:

• Thinking 1
Indy Dave

Nothing... and I mean NOTHING can ever top this one . . . . And for those who haven't had the pleasure of attending The Greatest Spectacle In Racing, one would literally get chills when Jim sang this song - I can't explain it, it just IS. The song itsself had no special meaning to me - I was only familar with it from hearing it sung on the radio as a boy listening to the Indianapolis 500 Radio Network Broadcast of the race live, because the race always had a local TV blackout. So I was as surprised as anyone when at my first in person Indy 500 in 1979 when Jim Nabors sang and the chills occurred (then and every race afterwards). In 1979 Rocket Rick Mears won his first of 4 Indy 500's, and after the race I happened to run into and walk/chat with...... none other than second place finisher A.J. Foyt! as we both cut through the infield.

Here's a younger Jim in 1988 (with Rocket Rick Mears on pole)

And he sounds just as great 26 years later in 2014 for his final appearance (with Indy's own Ed Carpenter on pole - his second consecutive Indy 500 pole, BTW)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, RTinNC said:

Since we’re talking numbers and music here ….. how many songs written about the Carolinas vs songs written about Indiana. 

:4907:

Now you started trouble. :3:
You guys need to go for a ride, soon!

Indy Dave
4 minutes ago, terryofperry said:

It should go by state, not city. :18:

Terry

I dunno Terry, that Perry GA metropolitan group represents! 

Well I believe it was @RTinNC who was referring to the Charlotte or Atlanta area folks in comparison. While we've always been the Indy group - which - while the majority are from Indianapolis - is referencing Indiana in general. Kinda of like the Atlanta Group pretty much takes in all of GA. 

I don't disagree, Terry. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

Nothing... and I mean NOTHING can ever top this one . . . . And for those who haven't had the pleasure of attending The Greatest Spectacle In Racing, one would literally get chills when Jim sang this song - I can't explain it, it just IS. The song itsself had no special meaning to me - I was only familar with it from hearing it sung on the radio as a boy listening to the Indianapolis 500 Radio Network Broadcast of the race live, because the race always had a local TV blackout. So I was as surprised as anyone when at my first in person Indy 500 in 1979 when Jim Nabors sang and the chills occurred (then and every race afterwards). In 1979 Rocket Rick Mears won his first of 4 Indy 500's, and after the race I happened to run into and walk/chat with...... none other than second place finisher A.J. Foyt! as we both cut through the infield.

And he sounds just as great 26 years later in 2014 for his final appearance (with Indy's own Ed Carpenter on pole - his second consecutive Indy 500 pole, BTW)

Ok …. I’ll give you that one!  It was pretty awesome.  But Charlotte is home of NASCAR and that’s American racing at the core.  On if you don’t get chills and a test in your eye when sitting at a Charlotte race and they do the fly over ….. you need to check your pulse.

King Richard and Dale “the intimidator” are true racing icons. 

• Like 1
Indy Dave
7 minutes ago, RTinNC said:

Ok …. I’ll give you that one!  It was pretty awesome.  But Charlotte is home of NASCAR and that’s American racing at the core.  On if you don’t get chills and a test in your eye when sitting at a Charlotte race and they do the fly over ….. you need to check your pulse.

King Richard and Dale “the intimidator” are true racing icons. 

Of course - it was the Indy 500 that started the flyovers. We get 2 per race, BTW. And yes - chills.

• Like 3
terryofperry

It's just a handful of planes flying over head in formation, now watching flocks of different birds do so is incredible, nature's Thunderbirds.  :whistle:

Terry

• Like 1
6 hours ago, terryofperry said:

It should go by state, not city. :18:

Terry

By my rough count there are 16 that I know are from Georgia!

• Like 3
  • Plus 1 1
  • Smile 1
Indy Dave
26 minutes ago, MikeB60 said:

By my rough count there are 16 that I know are from Georgia!

That's a great crowd, well done!

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

That's a great crowd, well done!

I think proximity is a contributing factor!

• Like 3
18 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

Jim Nabors is actually from Sylacauga Alabama....about 20 miles from where I hang my helmet......FWIW

• Like 3