IGNORED

2024 START (Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour) April 24-28, 2024 Newport, TN

Indy Dave

25 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

** ADMINISTRIVIA ** 

Wednesday, April 19 - The Hoosier Clean Living Shirkers invite you to grab a beer in Indy Dave's room - (#101) next to Boxflyer's trailer. Stop in and say Hi!

NOTE: This 'Teaser' video will be updated (added onto - with a new link) by Monday with the final START schedule and Timetable - that means the START :spittake:  of the video will remain the same, but vital info will be added to it. 

The new video - with the timetable and schedule will be posted on this thread, along with contest info and other LAST MINUTE EVENT DETAILS.

In the meantime, plan on having your first beer with The Hoosiers in Room 101 on Wednesday, and enjoy :3::

You Indy guys are OK 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
John Ranalletta
2 hours ago, RTinNC said:

You Indy guys are OK 

Well, a couple of them....

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
Indy Dave
3 hours ago, BerettaRacer said:

Hope it's not Bud Light, LOL

:3:

To reference @marcopolo   the operative word was BEER. :old:

But to your point - no good deed goes unpunished - that truth isn't lost on me, a non-beer drinker. :beer:

14 minutes ago, RTinNC said:

Honestly we all know what the beer will be .... 

proxy-image.thumb.jpeg.af200f5f94274fa4ceb3d04900b78fa1.jpeg

OK - I WOULD make an exception for this.   @marcopolo to the white courtesy Import/Export phone please.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Indy Dave said:

To reference @marcopolo   the operative word was BEER. :old:

But to your point - no good deed goes unpunished - that truth isn't lost on me, a non-beer drinker. :beer:

OK - I WOULD make an exception for this.   @marcopolo to the white courtesy Import/Export phone please.

That looks like the non-alcoholic version!

• Sad 1
TN_R_Girl

Foot and I got out for a little shakedown ride today…. Felt really nice to shake the cobwebs loose!

SO looking forward to seeing everyone :bike:

• Like 9
Motorhead1977

Late breaking news:

1 room 2 queen beds non smoking room has just become available at the event hotel.

I spoke with them a few minutes ago and discovered that they had an additional room reserved under my name :dopeslap: so I cancelled that and it's now available for someone who wants it.

See everyone next Sunday 4/21 in the late afternoon. :18:

• Like 2
Indy Dave
1 hour ago, Motorhead1977 said:

Late breaking news:

1 room 2 queen beds non smoking room has just become available at the event hotel.

I spoke with them a few minutes ago and discovered that they had an additional room reserved under my name :dopeslap: so I cancelled that and it's now available for someone who wants it.

See everyone next Sunday 4/21 in the late afternoon. :18:

The room has been reserved.

• Like 2
Indy Dave

And joining us from across the Pond...

111. Martin Cander :clap:

• Like 10
1 hour ago, Indy Dave said:

And joining us from across the Pond...

111. Martin Cander :clap:

Wow ….. talk about a water crossing :grin:

:18:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
Indy Dave
18 minutes ago, RTinNC said:

Wow ….. talk about a water crossing :grin:

:18:

Then.... He's riding out to the West Coast with Big Daddy Don. :revit:

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
narcosis

I'll be freeing up my room today.  The stars just won't align for me to attend...again.

• Sad 4
Indy Dave
I don't need to tell you it's about time to START. I'm sure  you're about to wash off the Winter cobwebs you've got your bike in tip-top shape - maybe even put new shoes on her! As tempting as it is to leave it at that, safe in the knowledge that you just put on new tires - I mean hey Vern! What could go wrong, I'm all set for the season? But you and I know there's more to it than airing up or getting new tires, right?! :read:

Have you inspected your bike? Do you do a walk around before EACH ride? :5150:

I know, I know - you need to Git N Go on your way now, and it rode like a scalded chicken yesterday, right?!  (but did you inspect it before that ride?) Be honest.:14:

So point being...:lurk:

A START buddy came by yesterday for a Boxflyer™ Brake Service before START. My buddy just had new tires installed (see first sentence in this post)  500 miles ago, and on Saturday, he'd gone on a multi-club lunch ride and had a great ride. And did I mention New Tires? Those babies don't need no checking till my next oil service (and you don't need no stinking badges either!). Pro Tip: If you use a double negative - it makes it TWICE as true!

First thing I notice on the center stand is...
20240414_190600.thumb.jpg.51b074930da7cc153da03545e4c8ae90.jpg

So . the point being how IMPORTANT it is to do a walk around your bike before EACH ride. And what that REALLY MEANS is setting aside time BEFORE your planned departure to address any issues you find. WHat if it's OH-DARK-TWENTY on your big ride day and you stumble upon this? What ya gonna do? Call AAA?

I think one of the biggest deterrents of pre-ride inspections is the time factor - not setting aside time to do a pre-ride inspection AND time to resolve the issues you find!:read:. And what should you check anyway?

Well friend, I'm glad you asked! On Thursday night, on the tail end of Pizza, Brad will cover what to look for when you do your PRE-RIDE inspection! How's-about-that?! What a deal! He's going to cover a lot of other critical items as well - so grab your favorite beverage and tune in at The Boxflyer tent/trailer Community Center!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Pre-START brake service. . .

20240414_182327.thumb.jpg.723a683316693abd5756772229a58963.jpg

20240414_190133.thumb.jpg.d9aba3942878013ce8edfd9d876cc38c.jpg

20240414_182223.jpg

20240414_184232.jpg

• Like 10
marcopolo

You had to post that less than 24 hours before my planned departure?  And, with a bike that has a grand total of 24 miles on the odometer!  😀

Well, I do have today to finish packing, go for a shake-down ride, and inspect my bike. 👍

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Thinking 1
4 minutes ago, marcopolo said:

You had to post that less than 24 hours before my planned departure?  And, with a bike that has a grand total of 24 miles on the odometer!  😀

Well, I do have today to finish packing, go for a shake-down ride, and inspect my bike. 👍

Mark .... it's a new bike .... what could possibly go wrong ?   :rofl:

• Like 1
  • Smile 3
  • Haha 1
Indy Dave
3 minutes ago, marcopolo said:

Oh SNAP! 24 miles "on the old clicker'? (To quote Canadian Eugene Levy in Best in Show). That baby needs an OVERHAUL!

Safe travels! See you soon, baboon!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Thinking 1
brianh70

I can't wait!  In fact, I decided to change my reservation and show up a day earlier.  I'll be there on Tuesday the 23rd.

• Like 4
  • Plus 1 1

Hey Mike,

Your picture of the Mutants is the first I have heard of these tires.  Just did some quick research.  They get good reviews and the price is not bad as well.  

• Like 2
MikeB60
11 minutes ago, Ron-M said:

Hey Mike,

Your picture of the Mutants is the first I have heard of these tires.  Just did some quick research.  They get good reviews and the price is not bad as well.  

Ron, I've got a set on the GS and they are fantastic tires. Great grip and fantastic in the rain. Think the tires on the GS have about 4000 miles so the jury is still out on how many miles they will go. Think I'm  the guinea pig for them on an RT.

Mike

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, MikeB60 said:

Ron, I've got a set on the GS and they are fantastic tires. Great grip and fantastic in the rain. Think the tires on the GS have about 4000 miles so the jury is still out on how many miles they will go. Think I'm  the guinea pig for them on an RT.

Mike

I may give them a try for my next set of GS tires

Thanks! 

• Like 2

I am going to think seriously about them for my RT next tire go round.  Will be interested in your thoughts about them on your RT Mike after a few thousand miles.  

• Like 2

I thought about these as well. Having good luck with the Road Smart 4's (on my RT) so far... but may try these in the future. Keep us posted!

• Like 2
Stresspuppy

Also interested to hear. I JUST (3 days ago) bought RS IVs as these weren't on my radar either. Maybe there needs to be a pre-emptive thread started for "Waiting to know more about the Mutants". 

• Smile 1
wbw6cos

I have some RS IV's I will trade you for.    :dontknow:

I need them on my RT in case I run an 8 mile stretch of gravel road from an old Ken route.    :grin:

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 3

I’ve never considered putting them on an RT but interesting idea 

Keep us posted 

• Plus 1 1
Chris K
On 4/15/2024 at 5:21 PM, wbw6cos said:

I have some RS IV's I will trade you for.    :dontknow:

I need them on my RT in case I run an 8 mile stretch of gravel road from an old Ken route.    :grin:

Lowndes probably needs them more than you on his K bike!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Bill Murray

Well guys, due to an emergent family situation, I am going to be unable to attend START. A big disappointment, I can assure you. I will be cancelling my room reservation a few minutes and will post in the Hotel Room thread afterwards. Ride safe, everyone! I look forward to seeing you in the Fall.

• Sad 4
Rockosmith

I ran a set of Mutants on my FJ09. Tires were fine but I didn’t get as much mileage from them as I get on the Roadsmart 4s. They were down to the wear bars in 4500 miles. 

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, Rockosmith said:

They were down to the wear bars in 4500 miles

You must of been riding them like a Ninja, not a Turtle. :spittake:

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 1
Rockosmith
2 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

You must of been riding them like a Ninja, not a Turtle. :spittake:

A Mutant Turtle for sure!

• Haha 4

Highlight so far heading east to START, Highway 191 from Springerville, Arizona south to Morenci.  Meeting up with Tommy-K in Albuquerque tomorrow to continue the journey.

IMG_2823_Original.jpeg

IMG_2829_Original.jpeg

IMG_2832_Original.jpeg

• Like 13
Oldrider51
19 minutes ago, GSJOE said:

Highlight so far heading east to START, Highway 191 from Springerville, Arizona south to Morenci.  Meeting up with Tommy-K in Albuquerque tomorrow to continue the journey.

IMG_2823_Original.jpeg

IMG_2829_Original.jpeg

IMG_2832_Original.jpeg

Great views, enjoy the ride and safe travels. See you there

• Like 2
1 hour ago, GSJOE said:

IMG_2823_Original.jpeg

IMG_2829_Original.jpeg

IMG_2832_Original.jpeg

WOW .. how cool guys coming for far away!   Can't wait to hear your travel stories.   Love the Hula Girl !! 

• Like 4
MikeB60
1 hour ago, GSJOE said:

Highlight so far heading east to START, Highway 191 from Springerville, Arizona south to Morenci.

The devils highway! Great fun! It was still US 666 last time I rode it on a Kawasaki Z1R. 

• Like 2

MikeB60 … too funny,  I’ve had a couple different people tell me that it was devil Highway 666 not too long ago.

• Like 2
  • Indy Dave unfeatured this topic
taylor1

We have one of those that runs through the National Forest by our camp in N.W. P.A.  Short but sweet

IMG_1624.jpeg

• Like 1

With my wife's Thyroid surgery last month, I was nervous about not being able to attend. She has recovered nicely, except she can't yell!  So now I can finally get excited about the Start :5185:. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Alan

• Like 14
  • Smile 1
Indy Dave

Off and running on this chilly morning...

Resized_20240420_093136_1713619921271.thumb.jpeg.67d99e735f78d5fa96f53e070027a400.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Plus 1 1
BerettaRacer

Good News - Bad News

Good News - I'm at the START hotel

Bad News - I'm at the START hotel 4 days early.

Why?? Because when I went to unload my bike from the trailer in Suches, Ga, planning for 5 days of leisurely cruising up thru the mtns, the bike was DEAD!! As in crank but no fire. I drove it up on to the trailer fine a cpl of days ago, now Kaput!

A mad dash from Suches to the BMW dealer in Asheville but that was a dead end too. To busy to deal with it on a Sat afternoon. So, decided to come to the hotel early to have a beer while I formulate plan B.

• Sad 2
bluenoserswife

We stopped here first, and then made it through the border.  WV tonight, and  we'll be arriving tomorrow evening. 

20240420_084323.jpg

• Like 4
Motorhead1977

Staunton VA tonight and the rest of the way tomorrow arriving later afternoon.

• Like 2
Indy Dave

Thanks for the updates, safe travels one and all.  Meanwhile, somewhere in NC, I'm in for the night.

brysoncity.thumb.jpg.d01ab5a45cebff5dbc87266d10962fda.jpg

• Like 5
marcopolo

Arrived in Bryson City, NC, on Saturday, for two nights. To Newport on Monday. 

• Like 8