IGNORED

2024 START (Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour) April 24-28, 2024 Newport, TN

Indy Dave

R65_Steve
13 minutes ago, Bluenoser said:

No fee other than newbies buying dinner on the 1st night.

For the whole group?!

• Haha 1
  • Thinking 1
Indy Dave
2 minutes ago, R65_Steve said:

For the whole group?!

The whole group, goodness no. Just the entire town.

• Haha 4
DaveCinNO
7 hours ago, roadscholar said:

thanks dave, those are all the reasons i initially posted it but you explained it better : ) my first thought was also to exit on 64, take it east and make a quick run through sewannee to see the impressive campus at university of the south. but because the destination was on the north side of the smokies it's probably quicker to take i-40 across the top.

image.thumb.png.98c962b355f0df32394006073c761d6b.png

For a N Smokies route I'll take the NTP through Nashville (ugg) to the Louie B Nunn Cumberland parkway in Ky and head east.  It turns into the Daniel Boone Pky. and is another really sweet, traffic free wide open parkway with lots of sweepers.  You won't want it to end.,  An option to riding through Nashville is to take the southern bypass east through Lebanon and work your way to the parkways.

• Like 3
Indy Dave
1 minute ago, DaveCinNO said:

For a N Smokies route I'll take the NTP through Nashville (ugg) to the Louie B Nunn Cumberland parkway in Ky and head east.  It turns into the Daniel Boone Pky. and is another really sweet, traffic free wide open parkway with lots of sweepers.  You won't want it to end.,  An option to riding through Nashville is to take the southern bypass east through Lebanon and work your way to the parkways.

Lots and lots of great roads in Daniel Bone as well . . . 

• Like 1
Bluenoser
12 hours ago, R65_Steve said:

For the whole group?!

Heavens no, just for the RT riders.

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 2
On 1/14/2024 at 9:49 AM, Bluenoser said:

Tough crowd! :4323:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Indy Dave
34 minutes ago, Bernie said:

Tough crowd! :4323:

At least you have an RT!

• Haha 1
Oldrider51
14 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

At least you have an RT!

Who in this group doesn't have an RT or GS, oh yeah, ME.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
Motorhead1977
4 minutes ago, Oldrider51 said:

Who in this group doesn't have an RT or GS, oh yeah, ME.

And me.....at least not anymore. :revit:

• Confused 1
Indy Dave
On 1/14/2024 at 9:49 AM, Bluenoser said:

That's the one and only way to get @terryofperry back on an RT! :eat:

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, Motorhead1977 said:

And me.....at least not anymore. :revit:

That’s ok we all have temporary lapses in judgement 😂

• Haha 1
BruinsFan

Heads up young'ns... Newport TN Best Western has ZERO rooms available for the week of 4/22/24 -4/28/24. 

On one hand, I reckon I should think more positively about my procrastination of booking the room... I'll have a closer walk to the Waffle House than y'all will, and we all know that's where the hotties hang out.

On the other hand, I'm certainly gonna miss hearing all the noise yall made while us old ppl went to bed at an early hour to get our beauty rest, or maybe its because Bernie tortured me on my 24 Hours of Lemans initiation ride. 🤣

I picked up a standard king room at the Holiday Inn Express behind WH which is just across the main drag from where all you cool kids will be staying. They had several other availabilitis of different beds remaining. Looks to be a decent room with breakfast at about the same price as BW.

Fingers crossed the security isn't on the crooked side. Scares me to death to think I'd ever wake up to find my main squeeze has vanished into the night. Keep smiling errbody. We got it pretty dang good I'd say.

In Tuesday, out Saturday! ✌

Indy Dave
1 hour ago, BruinsFan said:

Heads up young'ns... Newport TN Best Western has ZERO rooms available for the week of 4/22/24 -4/28/24. 

On one hand, I reckon I should think more positively about my procrastination of booking the room... I'll have a closer walk to the Waffle House than y'all will, and we all know that's where the hotties hang out.

On the other hand, I'm certainly gonna miss hearing all the noise yall made while us old ppl went to bed at an early hour to get our beauty rest, or maybe its because Bernie tortured me on my 24 Hours of Lemans initiation ride. 🤣

I picked up a standard king room at the Holiday Inn Express behind WH which is just across the main drag from where all you cool kids will be staying. They had several other availabilitis of different beds remaining. Looks to be a decent room with breakfast at about the same price as BW.

Fingers crossed the security isn't on the crooked side. Scares me to death to think I'd ever wake up to find my main squeeze has vanished into the night. Keep smiling errbody. We got it pretty dang good I'd say.

In Tuesday, out Saturday! ✌

I think someone @BruinsFan is :beer:hung over :beer:  from celebrating last nights victory! :java:  

:old:THERE ARE ROOMS AVAILABLE (BOOMER)!:old: We still have 6 bdl rooms remaining :old:.... and then that's it! HOWEVER - as per the :read:directions:read: in the first post -you must CALL the hotel directly to reserve a room - online reservations are not available and will show the hotel sold out.

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
2 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

I think someone @BruinsFan is :beer:hung over :beer:  from celebrating last nights victory! :java:  

:old:THERE ARE ROOMS AVAILABLE (BOOMER)!:old: We still have 6 bdl rooms remaining :old:.... and then that's it! HOWEVER - as per the :read:directions:read: in the first post -you must CALL the hotel directly to reserve a room - online reservations are not available and will show the hotel sold out.

LOL ... at least the Carolina Hurricane fans got it right :3:

• Haha 1
BruinsFan

🤣🤣🤣 Disregard my last post. Someone hijacked my username! Can I change my username to dip-STICK? That would suit me much better. Keep smiling. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
Indy Dave
46 minutes ago, BruinsFan said:

🤣🤣🤣 Disregard my last post. Someone hijacked my username! Can I change my username to dip-STICK? That would suit me much better. Keep smiling. 

No harm and no foul! Thanks for thinking of everyone. It's not the first time by a long shot, and it won't be the last. :read:. So glad you can get a room and join us! :clap:

TN_R_Girl
On 1/12/2024 at 3:55 PM, RTinNC said:

Ditto …. I’ve been on it twice and for about 100 Loooooong miles each time.  And if it’s hot out it’s beyond boring.  Slow and pretty straight …. And I’m a conservative rider

And don't forget --- if you get impatient and are caught wicking it up --- the tickets are very expensive.  :dopeslap:

7 minutes ago, TN_R_Girl said:

And don't forget --- if you get impatient and are caught wicking it up --- the tickets are very expensive.  :dopeslap:

Yup ... same on the BPR but I have never had any issues there.   The NTP is not a bad road so long as you know what it's like before planning to ride the entire length. 

• Like 1
TN_R_Girl
On 1/12/2024 at 11:23 AM, TyTass said:

Some good ideas:

•  
  • If someone in the group doesn't have a GPS, then they should let everyone in the group know ... that way the rest know to keep closer tabs on the person without the GPS. 

I may resemble that remark!!  (Or at least I used to!  :whistle:)

• Like 1
BerettaRacer
1 hour ago, RTinNC said:

Yup ... same on the BPR but I have never had any issues there.  

Really??? Had no idea.

Last fall heading up to FART my battery failed when I stopped for gas and lunch in Asheville. I lost over two hours getting new battery installed. I already had plans so I was in "Take No Prisoners" mode from Asheville to my hotel in Little Switzerland. If you were in front of me you got passed, period. I wasn't being polite. Got there just as she was folding her laptop to close shop for the night. 70's and 80's were common when I could look down. And that was with a full pack, at least 40-50 lbs strapped to the back seat.

TN_R_Girl

Rez made Wed.-Sun.  Though, actual attendance is tentative at the moment.  :wave:

• Like 6
5 hours ago, BerettaRacer said:

Really??? Had no idea.

Last fall heading up to FART my battery failed when I stopped for gas and lunch in Asheville. I lost over two hours getting new battery installed. I already had plans so I was in "Take No Prisoners" mode from Asheville to my hotel in Little Switzerland. If you were in front of me you got passed, period. I wasn't being polite. Got there just as she was folding her laptop to close shop for the night. 70's and 80's were common when I could look down. And that was with a full pack, at least 40-50 lbs strapped to the back seat.

You were lucky then.   Speed limit on most of the BRP is 45 and I've had no issues with 55 but I never push it much past 55.  While I've not seen rangers out all that often I have heard that if they do snag you being too aggressive with the throttle they are quick to hand you an award.  In addition during morning and evenings the BRP is WAAAAY thick with deer so that encourages me to take it easy. 

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
Stresspuppy
8 hours ago, RTinNC said:

You were lucky then.   Speed limit on most of the BRP is 45 and I've had no issues with 55 but I never push it much past 55.  While I've not seen rangers out all that often I have heard that if they do snag you being too aggressive with the throttle they are quick to hand you an award.  In addition during morning and evenings the BRP is WAAAAY thick with deer so that encourages me to take it easy. 

I did the Skyline Drive (north extension of BRP) last month and the deer will definitely bring the pucker-factor into play. They just look at you like "what, I belong here, why are you here?". But it's only 35 on the SD so a split second more time to react. And I think I only saw 1 or 2 rangers on the 105 miles over two days because who in their right mind is riding the SD when it is freezing outside.

36 minutes ago, Stresspuppy said:

I did the Skyline Drive (north extension of BRP) last month and the deer will definitely bring the pucker-factor into play. They just look at you like "what, I belong here, why are you here?". But it's only 35 on the SD so a split second more time to react. And I think I only saw 1 or 2 rangers on the 105 miles over two days because who in their right mind is riding the SD when it is freezing outside.

Yeah ... I really like Skyline Drive and the amazing views but the 35 MPH is tough especially when you're behind an RV going 25 or 30.  But the dang deer are getting worse and worse.   And having had a good buddy meet a deer up close and personal I try and control my right hand on the throttle. 

Unlike the BRP, their seems to be a cop every 5 miles on Skyline Drive.  Still a beautiful ride. And don't get me started on those damn deer.

• Like 4
R65_Steve
23 hours ago, TN_R_Girl said:

It's a Federal offense!!

TN_R_Girl
38 minutes ago, R65_Steve said:

It's a Federal offense!!

Exactly right!  :classic_blink:

• Like 1
On 1/30/2024 at 12:17 AM, RTinNC said:

Lucky is right! That would have been an expensive ticket. And there's sometimes a speed trap just across from the Little Switzerland Inn (on the BRP). He tagged me this past spring....When I noticed he just pointed at me. I was about 10 over

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, brorke said:

Lucky is right! That would have been an expensive ticket. And there's sometimes a speed trap just across from the Little Switzerland Inn (on the BRP). He tagged me this past spring....When I noticed he just pointed at me. I was about 10 over

YES !   And while I may run up to 10 over on the BRP I almost NEVER pass on a double yellow.  I just think while they may give you a pass at little extra speed I worry that passing on a double yellow is an automatic present from the Rangers.  I know a lot of guys do it and see it all the time. 

2 hours ago, RTinNC said:

YES !   And while I may run up to 10 over on the BRP I almost NEVER pass on a double yellow.  I just think while they may give you a pass at little extra speed I worry that passing on a double yellow is an automatic present from the Rangers.  I know a lot of guys do it and see it all the time. 

Yes sir...I've drastically cut back on passing on DY if I do it at all....That could be a HUGE $ ticket..including citation for careless driving. And on the BRP, could even be worse.  I've received 2 tickets in the last 5 months. Was able to plead both down (wasn't cheap) but lesson learned.

• Like 2

I’ve been very lucky ….. only ever been stopped once when on the bike in Pinehurst.  I was totally guilty too, as I got annoyed when a Harley blew past me after tailgating me for miles. But the LEO was great and just asked me to slow down and have a nice day.  

• Like 1

In!!

24th-28th.

I have a double on the ground floor if anyone is looking for a bed.

Lowndes

• Like 4
Stresspuppy

11 weeks from today!!

It's sneaking up on us but 11 weeks can go by quickly if life keeps you busy. Looking forward to the event and meeting everyone (well, with 85+ in attendance I'll need a scorecard to keep track of who is who!). And fingers crossed for some decent weather. 

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
Motorhead1977
11 minutes ago, Stresspuppy said:

11 weeks from today!!

And fingers crossed for some decent weather. 

OH NO!  You didn't really just say that............:4317:

• Haha 1
Indy Dave
43 minutes ago, R65_Steve said:

I'm in, just stealthy about it.

Glad to have you aboard, Steve! I'll get you added to the Official Bumbling BackRoad Rider Tally.

It's worth pointing out that of our First Timers - we have one coming from California! GS Joe and another from CT -  The White Russian Drinking Ernie (real name Steve) - you may remember them from the Vital Signs Ride Tale (that unfortunately got truncated  when we changed software packages - and we lost many of the photos) - GS Joe ( and another Steve) we the two guys who boldly sailed on by [in their soccer taxi dragging a heavy Uhaul trailer with their bikes in the back] 'the last gas stop for 100 miles' only to run out of gas in.. Nevada was it? Well needless to say, they were quite late for dinner in Gunnison that night - but we left the light on for them.

GS Joe

Screenshot(7).thumb.png.6ed2c912fd216b9aa3456158fde1b520.png

Steve - commonly referred to as "Ernie" 

Screenshot(9).thumb.png.debb8dcf956f6b960bbb546f3a2bacb2.png

BTW - these guys look MUCH older now :old:

• Smile 1
Stresspuppy
1 hour ago, Motorhead1977 said:

OH NO!  You didn't really just say that............:4317:

DOH, silly me. I know better. I will consider my hand slapped for that faux pas. 

• Thinking 1
Indy Dave

whosgoing2024newportMar19pg2.thumb.jpg.5ac4bdb317127d7341edf711857c3676.jpgTurns out GS Joe and another Cali rider [Tom] (and first timer) are RIDING from LA to the Metropolis of Newport. Boy-Howdy! :bike: 

As of Feb 7:

whosgoing2024newportNov1pg1sm.thumb.jpg.e0d313d6103f6f69934c00f61642b047.jpg

whosgoing2024newportMar19pg2.thumb.jpg.5ac4bdb317127d7341edf711857c3676.jpg

whosgoing2024newportPg3Feb7.thumb.jpg.68ff01c0156d82baaaa208fe0fc12c21.jpg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Dave, you can add @Mitch Triumphant on your next update, he will be bunking with me. Bouncing off of 90 participants! :yes:  

Closing in on a record crowd for sure!   I need to get packing :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
Indy Dave

Folks - we've over sold our room block and the hotel isn't currently taking additional reservations. They actually added a few rooms for us and we've blown through those.

If you have to Cancel your reservation, please post here first to give folks here a heads up and a chance to obtain your room. :5170:

• Like 2
Indy Dave

We are full at the inn, but if you're so inclined to join us (and who wouldn't be?) you're still more than welcome to sign up and nightly cool your tires at a lodging house or camping location of your choosing. 

whosgoing2024newportNov1pg1sm.thumb.jpg.e0d313d6103f6f69934c00f61642b047.jpg

whosgoing2024newportMar19pg2.thumb.jpg.5ac4bdb317127d7341edf711857c3676.jpg

whosgoing2024newportPg3Mar18.thumb.jpg.4ced580fcea319b9470410f6c487ac57.jpg

• Like 3
Indy Dave

And Alphabetically by board name @randy

9Mary7 (Alan)
aar2 **
BamaJohn
Barry G
BerettaRacer
Bernie *