IGNORED

2024 START (Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour) April 24-28, 2024 Newport, TN

Indy Dave

4 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

What??   No Indy George board name?   :rofl:

There is a probationary period before one can invoke the highly esteemed Indy prefix.

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

What??   No Indy George board name?   :rofl:

And checking the Bumbling BackRoad Riders™ database, George is beyond his probationary period.

Pains me to acknowledge it, but what some view as 'esteemed', others may view in disregard :5590: , and George is known as a discerning gentleman.

Sometimes it's better not to acknowledge some things, lest one get lumped in with 'the birds of a feather' generalization.

I think we can all agree why one might want to stay on the down-low in this case.

Edited by Indy Dave
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 4

DIscerning, possibly.

A Gentleman? I don't think so.

George  (But not Indy George). I'm not sure I want to be associated with any group that would consider someone like me as a member. 

• Haha 3

Will certainly try to get there this time - arriving probably Thursday or Friday :)

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Kenikki said:

Will certainly try to get there this time - arriving probably Thursday or Friday :)

Great news !!  We certainly missed you in Sparta !!  Your photos are always the best. 

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
Indy Dave
On 11/22/2023 at 11:48 PM, Stresspuppy said:

Ok, another new guy here. Sounds like a blast and I’ve had this rattling around in my head for a bit now. My wife said “you should go” so count me IN! Wed-Sun. Haven’t made hotel reservations yet but will on Friday.

Now I have to figure out why she was so encouraging and what party/event will be gong on while I’m gone. :5146:

Scott

On 12/4/2023 at 7:09 AM, old_farmer said:

Maybe for me, unless my activities director has other plans for me. I hang my hat in eastern TN these days, so I don't need to travel far.

On 12/1/2023 at 10:58 AM, brorke said:

Looking forward to it Ed! Hope Doug can make it as well. The two guys you met with me (Doug H and Wayne) on the way home from Barber will most likely be coming as well. Hopefully we can get the crew together while up there and do a nice loop.

On 11/29/2023 at 11:28 AM, 3Putt said:

Been there a time or two myself...

On 1/3/2024 at 8:09 AM, Kenikki said:

On 1/9/2024 at 4:57 PM, OWA said:

Hanging with Boxflyer on 4/23.

On 1/9/2024 at 11:07 AM, ERdok said:

In!  Reservations made Wed - Sun.

Rick

:clap: Welcome Welcome Welcome! :clap:

It is my privilege to extend to you a laurel and hearty handshake! :4323:

Screenshot(401).thumb.png.c39abd45ea1c2094473b771c406d4f8f.png

Thanks for planning to be with us, @3Putt & @Skywagon - we have you on the might could maybe list!

As of Jan 8th:

whosgoing2024newportNov1pg1sm.thumb.jpg.e0d313d6103f6f69934c00f61642b047.jpg

whosgoing2024newportMar19pg2.thumb.jpg.5ac4bdb317127d7341edf711857c3676.jpg

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

Thanks for planning to be with us, @3Putt & @Skywagon - we have you on the might could maybe list!

Hmm...that might be a little more than stretching my legs...

IMG_5202.JPG

IMG_5205.jpg

Indy Dave
23 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

IMG_5202.JPG

IMG_5205.jpg

Ya, but you're TIME TRAVELING.

• Like 1
Indy Dave
On 12/1/2023 at 11:56 AM, RTinNC said:

Sounds great!  

And just so it's clear I'm adding Bill & Co. to the "Charlotte Crew" tally :3:

Hey ... it's tough competition with the dang growing Indy Crew and Atlanta Crew.

Florida has Bernie and heck he's a crew all by himself. :D

Sooo Ed (in my BEST almost FARGOish Mid-Western accent)... what are your numbers up to now?:lurk: 

Don't worry, my wood-chipper is jammed. :ohboy:

Edited by Indy Dave
  • Like 1
  • Smile 1
5 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

Sooo Ed (in my BEST almost FARGOish Mid-Western accent)... what are your numbers up to now?:lurk: 

Yeah yeah…… the world hates a show off.  Are you importing “Indy Crew” members 

Charlotte gang is about half dozen maybe a few more.  

terryofperry
18 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

12 hours ago, RTinNC said:

Yeah yeah…… the world hates a show off.  Are you importing “Indy Crew” members 

Charlotte gang is about half dozen maybe a few more.  

Well @RTinNC , @Indy Dave does have a lot of Midwest Corn Farmers from which to choose. Now I love Midwest Corn Formers, it's all about :eat:, the more the better. 

Terry 

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
28 minutes ago, terryofperry said:

Well @RTinNC , @Indy Dave does have a lot of Midwest Corn Farmers from which to choose. Now I love Midwest Corn Formers, it's all about :eat:, the more the better. 

Terry 

Absolutely…. The more the better.   And l do have a soft spot for the Midwest but don’t tell Dave 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
BerettaRacer
22 hours ago, Skywagon said:

IMG_5202.JPG

IMG_5205.jpg

I'm only a few hundred miles less. That's what trailers are for, lol.

image.thumb.png.b8694d1b8a501af6d295e189d1744ced.png

• Like 1
Indy Dave
7 hours ago, terryofperry said:

Terry 

We don't like to show off. Much. Challengers are always welcome. But we do have our ways. 

roadscholar
On 1/10/2024 at 10:48 AM, Skywagon said:

IMG_5202.JPG

IMG_5205.jpg

if i were going in that direction i'd take this road, might take a little longer than interstate but way more scenic and no trucks, trailers or rv's.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1LECpnxwWVT_uCbgJlUKz2-kk3b0q_4s&usp=sharing

image.png.939908def7801fd258fe17acd6f8f1a5.png

image.png.56678219a210e16fa2537074b5e5d513.png

https://ridermagazine.com/2013/06/07/motorcycle-riding-along-the-natchez-trace-parkway/

• Like 4
RandyShields
8 hours ago, roadscholar said:

if i were going in that direction i'd take this road, might take a little longer than interstate but way more scenic and no trucks, trailers or rv's.

The NTP was on my To Ride list.  Did it several years ago on my way to Torrey.  After a while, very boring.  And slow. With speed traps.  Give it a try, but it may not be ideal to ride the whole thing.

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 2
R65_Steve

I have never been to one of these rallies.  Only the BMW National.  Are there rides planned?   Do most people come the whole time (Wed included)?

• Like 2
Lone_RT_rider
27 minutes ago, R65_Steve said:

I have never been to one of these rallies.  Only the BMW National.  Are there rides planned?   Do most people come the whole time (Wed included)?

Steve, 

I've been attending our Spring and Fall events for over 20 years.  They are a very informal setting where the whole purpose is to just get together, ride and hangout with friends while making new friends.  The addition of @Boxflyer and his amazing tech sessions has definitely been a blessing as well.  

As for the rides, we make GPX files available for the GPS about a month before the event.  We all ride in small groups that can range from riding alone to about a half dozen riders, but there are seldom organized rides per say.  Usually we pick a route that @Bernie puts together for us based on the type of area we want to ride and what the weather is doing on any given day.  Those routes range between 200-300 miles of two lane back mountains roads where we are seldom on the same road for more than 5 miles. 

Most of us show up on Wednesday, but we do have some people like myself where vacation time limits their attendance.  I've been allocating more time to this even in the past few years because to be frank, it's my favorite of them all. There are usually a couple of dinner events. Pizza on Thursday and a pay ahead dinner on Friday.  @Indy Dave please add to my ramblings if I have missed anything.

Shawn

• Like 4
Motorhead1977

^^^^^  What he said!

Welcome! As far as rides, a series of ride routes of varying lengths are always posted and available for download your computeror  to your Garmin Navi 6  (Thank you Bernie for your excellent product and efforts in doing this) I think most people are Thur -Sun folks but that just my impression.  You can look further back in this thread and see @Indy Daveposting of the listing of who's coming and their expected arrivals.  It's a great time and group.  Hope to see you there!

• Like 3
Motorhead1977
7 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

Well, if you don't arrive Wednesday, you'll miss the Speedo modeling around the campfire.

You trying to make him not come at all???? :3:

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
52 minutes ago, R65_Steve said:

These events are very different from the BMW MOA Rallies. 

First off, to call these a rally is misnomer. These are gatherings of riders ... sport-touring riders predominantly ... who, in pretty quick order become friendly (at a minimum). Many become long-term riding buddies. But that said, many folks have known each other for a decade or more and have never ridden together ... yet they would consider themselves friends. 

• There are always planned GPS routes provided (Bernie will post a link to them here about a month prior to the event ... but please don't request them sooner! LOL). 
  • We almost never ride in big groups. I'd say the max is most often 5. Who goes with whom is largely left up to people to work out on their own. However, Bernie started a New Rider First Ride last event, where people new to the group all went on the same route, but in smaller groups with more experienced BMWST riders leading. It worked out pretty well according to the feedback. I'll let him say whether there is a plan to do it again. We've had a lot of new members recently.
  • In general, we suggest that people of equal abilities ride together. However, more than a general rule is to have the fastest/most experienced riders towards the front. The groups generally wait for all riders to catch up at each turn (or sometimes at confusing intersections or Garmin Turns).  Communicate with your group before you ride as some groups ride differently than others. 
  • Ride your own ride. Please don't try to impress people.  We want everyone back safe each ride.
  • There will be a group meal that is optional. Dave or one of the team will post about that fairly soon and have instructions for payment. 

I'm sure others will post more details, but that's just a quick data dump of what generally happens. 

Welcome aboard.

{Oops, lots of folks beat me to it.}

• Like 4
  • Plus 1 1
BerettaRacer
12 hours ago, roadscholar said:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1LECpnxwWVT_uCbgJlUKz2-kk3b0q_4s&usp=sharing

image.png.939908def7801fd258fe17acd6f8f1a5.png

image.png.56678219a210e16fa2537074b5e5d513.png

https://ridermagazine.com/2013/06/07/motorcycle-riding-along-the-natchez-trace-parkway/

Yup, I did most of NTP about 20 yrs ago. 

I was bringing my Honda V65 Sabre south from DC. Skyline Dr. - Blue Ridge - Dragon and Cherohala - Natchez TP - NOLA.

About an 8 day ride at the time.

BIKE3~1-2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
3 minutes ago, BerettaRacer said:

Honda V65 Sabre

I had one of those....it tried to kill me, several times before I sold it.:dontknow:

• Haha 2
BerettaRacer
1 minute ago, 9Mary7 said:

I had one of those....it tried to kill me, several times before I sold it.:dontknow:

I loved mine.

Bought it new in late 84, had it for 19 1/2 yrs.

The day I was moving from NOLA back to Ft Laud I pulled it out of the storage unit as I was juggling loading the moving truck.

The bike was in mint condition.

The Fuc****s stole it that night.

Got a call about a month later, it had been found, wrecked.

First thing I asked the cop on the phone, "Did you find a dead body under it?" He laughed, said no.

It wasn't feasable to go back to NOLA and trailer a wrecked bike back to Ft Laud. 

Never saw thhe bike again

• Sad 2
RandyShields

Thanks Shawn and Craig; simple yet comprehensive summaries.

One omission regarding the great routes that Bernie shares were the "SR" routes.  Prior to Bernie handling the routing duties, they were taken care of by our late friend Ken Insley.  Along the way, he took to putting together some Special Reserve routes for his friends.  These generally mimicked the regular routes, but diverted in many locations to tighter, more technical roads, sometimes steep, with dirt, gravel and broken pavement, and mainly without lane dividers or edge lines.  They are still known today as Ken roads.  You know them when you see them.  Those of us who had the opportunity to ride the SR routes generally enjoyed them.  Except for Shawn.  Many of us were on GS's; he was on his RT.  After he took to renaming them "Sh***y Roads" they have fallen out of favor.

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 1
15 minutes ago, RandyShields said:

One omission regarding the great routes that Bernie shares were the "SR" routes.  Prior to Bernie handling the routing duties, they were taken care of by our late friend Ken Insley.  Along the way, he took to putting together some Special Reserve routes for his friends.  These generally mimicked the regular routes, but diverted in many locations to tighter, more technical roads, sometimes steep, with dirt, gravel and broken pavement, and mainly without lane dividers or edge lines.  They are still known today as Ken roads.  You know them when you see them.  Those of us who had the opportunity to ride the SR routes generally enjoyed them.  Except for Shawn.  Many of us were on GS's; he was on his RT.  After he took to renaming them "Sh***y Roads" they have fallen out of favor.

We also have a decent group of adventure riders that usually take the gravel roads at least one day and explore those.  We do our own routes separate from Bernie to make sure that you only get into the dirt if you want to, :-) 

This thread 

has ore info about those routes and planning for them. 

Good Point, @TSConver! Attendees coordinate off-road routes on their own. They are not provided by @Bernie et al. 

Another thing worth pointing out is that we have a very wide range of rider abilities. We have everything from very new riders to former moto racing competitors, endurance experts, and a number of instructors of a variety of moto courses. So, it's fairly easy to find people of similar skill and/or desire. Many times, the faster folks aren't out to wick it up as much as they are able and will ride with others of lesser ability in the tight stuff (i.e., they will ride guys like me).   

When they ride with me, I don't expect them to slow down to ride my pace. I know that many times they'll pull away on a particular set of curves (sometime within 2 curves I don't see them for a while). Also, if someone riding behind wants to go faster than me ... I let them pass as soon as I can. I ride my ride knowing that to the best they're able they will wait for me at the next change of road.  

That said, every once in a blue moon someone goes off track while folks are riding in this manner. Somebody makes an incorrect turn because their GPS interpreted the route differently or they have interpreted their GPS incorrectly ... whatever. When that happens, it's not the end of the world or reason for anger. If folks can't hook back up after a while of trying (and try they will), just keep in mind ... it's not the end of the world. Everyone should be able to either meet up at the next stop (lunch) or get back to the motel on their own.  

This doesn't happen very often at all. I post this just because a few years back when I was hosting these events, a new guy got so perturbed that he got separated from the group he was riding with (because they rode "spritely) all day, that when he made it back to the hotel, he bitched me out and left the next day. 

Some good ideas:

• It's worth exchanging some mobile numbers before the ride starts (though cell service where we ride is often spotty to non-existent). That said text can often find a way thru to let folks know what I'm doing if separated.
  • If someone in the group doesn't have a GPS, then they should let everyone in the group know ... that way the rest know to keep closer tabs on the person without the GPS. 

These are not rule, but general practices.

Cheers!

• Like 4
roadscholar
8 hours ago, RandyShields said:

The NTP was on my To Ride list.  Did it several years ago on my way to Torrey.  After a while, very boring.  And slow. With speed traps.  Give it a try, but it may not be ideal to ride the whole thing.

boring is relative, i know people that think riding on any pavement is boring : ) but yeah it is fairly slow and more suited to a naked or vintage bike out for a scenic cruise than a modern sport tourer on a mission to get somewhere, but aren't all national parkways that way to some extent. the brp takes 3 times as long to get somewhere as alternative routes.

4 hours ago, BerettaRacer said:

Yup, I did most of NTP about 20 yrs ago. 

I was bringing my Honda V65 Sabre south from DC. Skyline Dr. - Blue Ridge - Dragon and Cherohala - Natchez TP - NOLA.

About an 8 day ride at the time.

BIKE3~1-2.jpg

i always thought tying all the parkways together (in the east) would make a great ride/drive and may still consider it in an open sportscar one of these days, the natchez trace, cherohala, brp, skyline drive, and taconic parkway in upstate ny. it looks like most of those were right on your way which is rare because the natchez trace and cherohala are seldom on the way to anywhere and probably out of the way for most travelers. but looking at skywagon's map the trace splits his two options and the reason i suggested it. it's easy enough to choose certain sections then pick up an interstate or alternate hwy if time is a factor.

4 hours ago, RandyShields said:

.One omission regarding the great routes that Bernie shares were the "SR" routes.  Prior to Bernie handling the routing duties, they were taken care of by our late friend Ken Insley.  Along the way, he took to putting together some Special Reserve routes for his friends.  These generally mimicked the regular routes, but diverted in many locations to tighter, more technical roads, sometimes steep, with dirt, gravel and broken pavement, and mainly without lane dividers or edge lines.  They are still known today as Ken roads.  You know them when you see them.  Those of us who had the opportunity to ride the SR routes generally enjoyed them.  Except for Shawn.  Many of us were on GS's; he was on his RT.  After he took to renaming them "Sh***y Roads" they have fallen out of favor.

i used to take ken on roads like that when he was learning wnc nearly 20 years ago, sometimes he'd be on a streetbike (ll50r) and me on a gs. we'd get to a steep gravel road with some washboard and i'd stop and ask if he was ok with it, he never hesitated, a true adventurer.

i won't mention the time shawn wouldn't ride up the gravel driveway to my mom's house in nc. :grin:

• Like 2
BerettaRacer
19 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

i always thought tying all the parkways together (in the east) would make a great ride/drive and may still consider it in an open sportscar one of these days, the natchez trace, cherohala, brp, skyline drive, and taconic parkway in upstate ny. it looks like most of those were right on your way which is rare because the taconic and cherohala are seldom on the way to anywhere and likely out of the way for most travelers. but looking at skywagon's map the trace splits his two options and the reason i suggested it. 

I actually started the trip in Ft Lauderdale. Drove to the north side of Orlando and put the bike on the Amtrak Auto Train. That dumps you out the next day right outside of DC, from there just a quick hop over to the start of Skyline Dr.

Was doing a similar trip, but this time back to Ft Laud, 15 mos ago on the K12S, and I ran into a bunch of bumbling BMW riders on some backroads at Natural Bridge, and they kind of sucked me in.

It's like being assimilated by The Borg, "Resistance is Futile"   :3:

• Smile 1
R65_Steve

Thanks all.  Lemme check my schedule and budget.  I've seen these event posted for years and have been a sporadic participant on this board.   Would be good to meet some folks. 

• Like 5
Indy Dave
4 minutes ago, R65_Steve said:

Thanks all.  Lemme check my schedule and budget.  I've seen these event posted for years and have been a sporadic participant on this board.   Would be good to meet some folks. 

You're more than welcome to join us, we'd love to have you. As I've said many times, I was active on this site for 10 years  before I made my first ART. I haven't missed one since - and yes, the creek did rise on more than one trip down. But that's never stopped us from coming! I'm sending you The First timers cheat-sheet I send to all first timers.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, RandyShields said:

Ken's SR routes are alive and doing well. I have over the years added a few of my own to the list.

I just don't publish any longer. Those that want to punish them selfs to use them, either have them or know how to find them.

And Yes, I try to avoid adding gravel roads to the public routes, but every once in a while a section of gravel sneaks into a route. :4317:

Or as Amy (Ms Motorhead1977) had to experience at FART 23, a few sections of freshly graveled pavement. She didn't really enjoy it, but road construction happens without warnings. :3:

But luckily there is very little sugar sand in the Appalachians. And believe me, some of the dirt routes are in better shape than the paved roads in FL.

As for broken pavement or no markings on the roads? What is the problem with that stuff?

:4323:

• Like 2
RandyShields
1 minute ago, Bernie said:

As for broken pavement or no markings on the roads? What is the problem with that stuff?

Shawn will have to answer that!

• Smile 1
6 hours ago, TyTass said:

• We almost never ride in big groups. I'd say the max is most often 5. Who goes with whom is largely left up to people to work out on their own. However, Bernie started a New Rider First Ride last event, where people new to the group all went on the same route, but in smaller groups with more experienced BMWST riders leading. It worked out pretty well according to the feedback. I'll let him say whether there is a plan to do it again. We've had a lot of new members recently.

Yes, correct @TyTass there will be a First Time Attendee Ride again on Thursday. Just remember it is Not a New Rider (beginner rider) ride.

And if there is enough interest, I may torture some more First Time Attendee Ride riders on Friday.

:3:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
10 hours ago, RandyShields said:

Ditto …. I’ve been on it twice and for about 100 Loooooong miles each time.  And if it’s hot out it’s beyond boring.  Slow and pretty straight …. And I’m a conservative rider

• Plus 1 1
DaveCinNO
7 hours ago, RTinNC said:

Ditto …. I’ve been on it twice and for about 100 Loooooong miles each time.  And if it’s hot out it’s beyond boring.  Slow and pretty straight …. And I’m a conservative rider

I guess it’s about  what and how you like to ride.  Living in NO my options to get to the smokies area are heavy on interstate so I usually take I-55 to Jackson, MS, get on the trace and ride it for 300 miles with lunch at French Camp.  I get off on 64 in TN and head east, another great road with no traffic and end up in Monteagle by I-24.  Most trips I never see a LEO and cruse at 65ish and find the NTP relaxing.  I do have to admit to getting a performance award once but it’s a $100 federal ticket and never hit my insurance.  No trucks or RVs is worth a lot.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, DaveCinNO said:

I guess it’s about  what and how you like to ride.  Living in NO my options to get to the smokies area are heavy on interstate so I usually take I-55 to Jackson, MS, get on the trace and ride it for 300 miles with lunch at French Camp.  I get off on 64 in TN and head east, another great road with no traffic and end up in Monteagle by I-24.  Most trips I never see a LEO and cruse at 65ish and find the NTP relaxing.  I do have to admit to getting a performance award once but it’s a $100 federal ticket and never hit my insurance.  No trucks or RVs is worth a lot.

That sounds like a good option and what I might do on that route.  But a lot of folks think the NPT is like the Blue Ridge Parkway and think you’d agree they are quite different.  The NTP is a good alternative to interstates for sure. 

• Like 1
Indy Dave
2 hours ago, RTinNC said:

That sounds like a good option and what I might do on that route.  But a lot of folks think the NPT is like the Blue Ridge Parkway and think you’d agree they are quite different.  The NTP is a good alternative to interstates for sure. 

If you jump on at the beginning, at the most Northern point, The Trace starts off very, very promising! If that's the peak of the riding, and it is, IMO, then the middle gets a bit dull. I agree with Dave, you've got to whip it up to 65. 

@MikeB60 and @Lone_RT_rider both highly recommend The Loveless Cafe - just outside the Northern entrance to The Trace. I had a loooong way to go, and a short time to get there, so I had to ride on by The Loveless  - but I will be back to sample their vittles.

https://lovelesscafe.com/

• Like 3
  • Plus 1 1
Motorhead1977

Oops. Thanks @wbw6cos  However, instead add Matt V to the list of START attendees. He's my neighbor and buddy. Rides a 23 1250RS.

• Like 2
roadscholar
19 hours ago, DaveCinNO said:

thanks dave, those are all the reasons i initially posted it but you explained it better : ) my first thought was also to exit on 64, take it east and make a quick run through sewannee to see the impressive campus at university of the south. but because the destination was on the north side of the smokies it's probably quicker to take i-40 across the top.

image.thumb.png.98c962b355f0df32394006073c761d6b.png

• Like 1
Bluenoser
16 minutes ago, R65_Steve said:

Other than booking a room, is there a fee to be paid?

No fee other than newbies buying dinner on the 1st night.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3