IGNORED

Back to Eureka Springs! Best Western Inn of the Ozarks, Un Rally 2024, 8-12 July

MikeB60

Motorhead1977
11 minutes ago, Dennis Andress said:

Would she follow you to Eureka Springs...

Bad time of year at her job to get time off and since she's mostly not coming to START but I'm likely getting to use her brand new  truck to trailer to START that sort of uses up my "You're not coming but I'll take the the truck "use tokens" for the year :whistle: LoL

I think I'm IN for my first UN. Six hundred miles for me from home. However, I may be coming from Wisconsin after visiting relatives and in-laws there, in that case it's about 725 miles. In either case, I can probably make the ride there in a day.

• Like 2
On 12/8/2023 at 9:46 AM, Rinkydink said:

I can just about promise it’ll be 95°+ with 75-80% humidity in July. We do sometimes have brief respites but it can be brutal. 

I was there last year in June of last year and it was cool and rainy for three days. Eureka springs can be warm in the summer but it usually is not nearly as bad as the Little Rock area.

• Like 2
On 12/8/2023 at 6:46 AM, Rinkydink said:

I can just about promise it’ll be 95°+ with 75-80% humidity in July. We do sometimes have brief respites but it can be brutal. 

I certainly do appreciate the job organizers of theses events do, and I'm not complaining in any way.  I'd just like to suggest that for events in hot/humid parts of the country, we consider the possibility of doing them in something other than the hottest, most humid, dates.  Thanks for all that organizers do.  And if there's anything I can do to help, I'd be happy to.

• Like 1
On 12/5/2023 at 7:35 PM, MikeB60 said:

There will be a code and more specific details forthcoming. Hopefully y'all can make it!

Mike, is there a preferred campsite nearby? We may be doing the RV thing by then. 

IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Matts_12GS said:

Mike, is there a preferred campsite nearby? We may be doing the RV thing by then. 

We are doing the KOA.  It is close and they are usually pretty good sites.  It is 5 miles or 9 mins form the inn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Matts_12GS said:

When I had the toy hauler years ago, we preferred state campgrounds.   Much better rates

this one does appear too far from Eureka Springs, a short 20 minutes.

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/233099?tab=seasons

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Matts_12GS said:

Matt, I am planning on a recon in the early spring and will get some info on nearby campgrounds. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, MikeB60 said:

Matt, I am planning on a recon in the early spring and will get some info on nearby campgrounds. 

They fill up fast in that area due to the tourist attractions.  Eureka Springs was almost booked when I got it set up at the KOA.

51 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

When I had the toy hauler years ago, we preferred state campgrounds.   Much better rates

this one does appear too far from Eureka Springs, a short 20 minutes.

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/233099?tab=seasons

I like state campgrounds but many do not have 50amp service and very few have full hook ups.  Guess I am spoiled, i like dumping at the site not having to use a rolling tank to dump midway through the week and having to stop on the way out to dump and flush.

Plus KOAs usually have pools to relax in.

State campgrounds are usually nicer to relax at with grass and trees.  So it is a trade off.

2 hours ago, TSConver said:

They fill up fast in that area due to the tourist attractions.  Eureka Springs was almost booked when I got it set up at the KOA.

I like state campgrounds but many do not have 50amp service and very few have full hook ups.  Guess I am spoiled, i like dumping at the site not having to use a rolling tank to dump midway through the week and having to stop on the way out to dump and flush.

Plus KOAs usually have pools to relax in.

State campgrounds are usually nicer to relax at with grass and trees.  So it is a trade off.

This one does have 50 amp and water/sewer hookups.  Meh, pool, I have one at the house that I only get in to rinse the dust off after cutting grass,....in and out in about five minutes.

• Haha 1
Motorhead1977
24 minutes ago, Rinkydink said:

I went ahead and called the hotel’s front desk. They said they would honor any future group reservation code. NOT the national 800 #. 479-253-9768

I'm thinking I'll wait for the code to avoid causing any confusion with the hotel.

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 2
  • Thanks 2
41 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

This one does have 50 amp and water/sewer hookups.  Meh, pool, I have one at the house that I only get in to rinse the dust off after cutting grass,....in and out in about five minutes.

I saw it has full hook ups but it is 30 min ride.  The KOA is less than 10 min.  

1 hour ago, Rinkydink said:

I went ahead and called the hotel’s front desk. They said they would honor any future group reservation code. NOT the national 800 #. 479-253-9768

I have made the coordination with the hotel for the event. The details will follow in a separate thread where I will post the discounted room code. I would ask everyone to wait so I can track reservations for our group based on the block of rooms for the event.  

• Like 7

I was told I need to start traveling on my bikes again.  Guess its about time i replaced the tires I put on for the UN in Salida.........I'm putting it on the calendar........so IN!

• Like 6
  • Plus 1 1

Room booked at the Best Western and Sandi is coming with me in the Audi. No bike this time since we are on our way for an extended 2 week trip through the Black Hills and Rockies. 

• Like 1
lawnchairboy
On 12/18/2023 at 8:36 PM, OoPEZoO said:

I was told I need to start traveling on my bikes again.  Guess its about time i replaced the tires I put on for the UN in Salida.........I'm putting it on the calendar........so IN!

THAT IS GREAT.

• Like 2
Indy Dave
On 12/13/2023 at 6:03 PM, Rinkydink said:

Why? :4316:

Why would you jump ahead of the organizer and their roll-out plans?  And then encourage others to do the same by posting what you did and how? What is the point here? If you had an issue or question, you could PM the organizer and speak to them directly. Or, like another did, ask if the link has been released yet. There are reasons the reservation link hasn't been released yet. 

On 12/13/2023 at 6:28 PM, Motorhead1977 said:

I'm thinking I'll wait for the code to avoid causing any confusion with the hotel.

CORRECT! (And not only the hotel, but for not creating issues and confusion for Mike and DyAnne).  :5185:

• Like 3
  • Plus 1 1
Rinkydink
48 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

Why? :4316:

Why would you jump ahead of the organizer and their roll-out plans?  And then encourage others to do the same by posting what you did and how? What is the point here? If you had an issue or question, you could PM the organizer and speak to them directly. Or, like another did, ask if the link has been released yet. There are reasons the reservation link hasn't been released yet. 

CORRECT! (And not only the hotel, but for not creating issues and confusion for Mike and DyAnne).  :5185:

I misread the original post and knowing how fast rooms fill up in Eureka that time of year I went ahead and made reservations. Only then did I realize I had jumped the gun. I wasn’t trying to create any issues or confusion for anyone.  I obviously deserve 50 lashes with a wet noodle. 

On 12/18/2023 at 9:36 PM, OoPEZoO said:

Will be good to see you again. Been way too long. IN

• Like 2
1 hour ago, rogera said:

Will be good to see you again. Been way too long. IN

It will be great to see you also again. I hope you can make it to the UnRally.

21 hours ago, Bernie said:

It will be great to see you also again. I hope you can make it to the UnRally.

That’s the current plan😊

• Like 1
  • Indy Dave unfeatured this topic
Rinkydink

Okay. It has so eloquently been pointed out to me that I was way out of line in booking my room ahead of time and promoting other board members to possibly do the same. I have already apologized to the organizer and now I do the same to the board and UN attendees. There was no ill intent. My “plausible excuse” has been duly noted and panned. I was obviously overzealous when realizing that there was finally an UNRally planned that was within my schedule and I could attend. I also probably shouldn't have been so negative about how hot it is here in July either. 

So…mea culpa. For I have sinned. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
On 1/11/2024 at 6:00 AM, taylor1 said:

As long as you don't start an oil thread,, you will be forgiven my son :5185:

Did someone call for Rotella?

1 hour ago, Bernie said:

What is your air pressure?

Well, when I changed the tires a few months ago, it was 36ish in the front and 42ish in the rear,.....dunno about now

4 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Well, when I changed the tires a few months ago, it was 36ish in the front and 42ish in the rear,.....dunno about now

Oh sure....next thing you're going to tell us is you washed it.:3:

• Smile 1
  • Haha 1
Motorhead1977

The decision has been made (and I concur) We're IN for the Un :5188:

Will make the reservation as soon as the info appears.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Room booked.  Now to figure out the least painful way to cross the flyover states.  Cya'll in 5 months.

• Like 2

so i'm thinking of coming but interested if anyone who has already registered, would be willing to share a room?

42 minutes ago, lawnchairboy said:

Out.  You all have fun.

hey buddy what happened, now your not coming?

• Like 1
lawnchairboy
33 minutes ago, SANTA said:

hey buddy what happened, now your not coming?

I have a Navy colleague who is retiring and has requested my presence. 

• Like 1
On 12/9/2023 at 8:46 PM, Ken S said:

I'd just like to suggest that for events in hot/humid parts of the country, we consider the possibility of doing them in something other than the hottest, most humid, dates.

On 1/10/2024 at 8:28 AM, Rinkydink said:

I also probably shouldn't have been so negative about how hot it is here in July either.

I see them as valid comments, and worth considering for future events. I absolutely HATE riding under those conditions too; I feel downright miserable, to the point I do not use my bike most of the summer. My riding season is early spring and late fall. Anyway, watched the video posted at the beginning, and AR123 looks awesome. But it sure doesn't sound appealing to me in July, so have fun there guys. Will check out the other 2 nearby rallies somebody mentioned (START and FAST?). Otherwise, might go further north to the Dragon area again instead, and in June (it can get hot in July too), but not sure yet.

• Haha 1
RandyShields
1 hour ago, JCtx said:

Will check out the other 2 nearby rallies somebody mentioned (START and FAST?)

We'd love to have you join us.  Check out the galleries of the past events; they have been going on in one incarnation or another for over 20 years.  Many here, including me, have made lifelong friends from the camaraderie of these events.  And by the way, they are START (Spring Appalachian Riding Tour) and FART (Fall Appalachian Riding Tour.)  With the current leadership, the gatherings have garnered more and more interest.  But, you should know that we could never use an acronym like FAST, as that would imply not eating which, as you will come to learn with this group, is as foreign a concept as not riding.  We ride to eat and eat to ride, as they say.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • 1 month later...
Skywagon

It looks like there is a few of us from various parts of Texas going....although it appears we are a long ways from each other.  I'm planning on leaving the Houston area at 6am Sunday July 07 and return on July 12.  It is about a 10:15 hour/minute ride (according to google and basecamp).  I'll attach my .gpx file for my planned route.  I plan to stop for fuel and break about every 200-250 miles depending on weather and bladder.

If anyone would like to meet up along the path that would be good. Probably the first common point might be Nacogdoches or as far North as Kilgore.  If you are interested, perhaps we can plan a rendezvous along the way.  I'm flexible on the path but would not like to add too many more miles.

Sunrise 06:32 Houston, Sunset Eureka Springs 8:30.

Eureka Springs.gpx

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
60Aviator
21 hours ago, Tron said:

I'm IN, too. Looking forward to meet you guys in person!

You know what they say about meeting your heroes? :4322:

• Haha 2