IGNORED

2024 START (Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour) April 24-28, 2024 Newport, TN

Indy Dave

1 hour ago, Bernie said:

Doesn’t most of N-Florida get counted as part of Georgia? :5146:

Lol …. Makes sense since Georgia has all tge better roads.  

• Thanks 1
  • Smile 1
Indy Dave

On 2/27/2024 at 7:30 PM, MikeB60 said:

By my rough count there are 16 that I know are from Georgia!

We're about knotted up. :clap:

I've always felt the FL riders deserve a shout out  :18:    - we have a strong contingent of regulars who make the long slog!  Not to mention @DaveCinNO who made a trillion treks to The Arts and Un's.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
1 hour ago, RTinNC said:

Lol …. Makes sense since Georgia has all tge better roads.  

Not really Ed, we keep the great roads of Florida secret from all others. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Bernie said:

Not really Ed, we keep the great roads of Florida secret from all others. 

I thought in Florida a right turn was considered a curve 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
rreynold
On 2/26/2024 at 11:52 AM, Indy Dave said:

Say What?! Another Hoosier?! Say it ain't so? Mr. Ed @RTinNC isn't gonna like this! Where abouts in Indiana?

whosgoing2024newportNov1pg1sm.thumb.jpg.e0d313d6103f6f69934c00f61642b047.jpg

whosgoing2024newportFeb6pg2.thumb.jpg.8c8e8ff6a1e96b11079df73baeffd688.jpg

whosgoing2024newportPg3Feb27.thumb.jpg.e8842a33df649b0c6ffa2b7f967751c3.jpg

Southern Indiana, just NW of Louisville near Borden.

• Like 2
Skipcurt

Looking to attend first START event. Arriving Sun pm or Mon am to be with @Boxflyer for Mon pm valve service. Assuming rooms still available?

Skip

• Like 3
TSConver
3 hours ago, Skipcurt said:

Looking to attend first START event. Arriving Sun pm or Mon am to be with @Boxflyer for Mon pm valve service. Assuming rooms still available?

Skip

Pretty sure a page back or so it was posted the rooms are full but call the hotel to confirm.  Maybe find someone to bunk with or get in at a local hotel that is close by.  Usually at least one or two cancel right before as well and post up their room as being available.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, TSConver said:

Pretty sure a page back or so it was posted the rooms are full but call the hotel to confirm.  Maybe find someone to bunk with or get in at a local hotel that is close by.  Usually at least one or two cancel right before as well and post up their room as being available.

Pretty sure there are other hotels within walking distance to the BW.  BUT as noted ... there are always last minute cancelations so watch this site for any folks who cancel. 

• Like 1

Tire rebates have been announced from Dunlop and Michelin. :19:

This is a sign for all you procastinenters that it is time to replace your tires and get your bikes ready for START 2024.

:5200:

PS: I have marked my calendar for when the route release date is and it will be sooner than you think.

So get your tires ordered, your oil rotated and go tickle your valves, it is almost time to ride to START 2024.

:bike::rofl: 

• Like 4
  • Smile 3
greiffster
40 minutes ago, Bernie said:

This is a sign for all you procastinenters that it is time to replace your tires and get your bikes ready for START 2024.

Come on Bernie...  It's always fun to see who shows up on cords and wonders if they'll make it home?

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
50 minutes ago, Bernie said:

procastinenters.     Procrastinators.

no charge  'cause you speak more languages than me.....:rofl: 

• Smile 1
  • Haha 1
Skipcurt
59 minutes ago, Bernie said:

Jeez! I literally just had a set PR6’s delivered two weeks ago. Go figure! Maybe they’ll honor my receipt date. 

• Like 1
Indy Dave
On 3/1/2024 at 3:36 PM, Bernie said:

PS: I have marked my calendar for when the route release date is and it will be sooner than you think.

So get your tires ordered, your oil rotated and go tickle your valves, it is almost time to ride to START 2024.

:bike::rofl: 

Well... I'm kinda embarrassed to admit this... But this is the first time I've touched my RT since I got home from FART. Those bugs on the windshield have been fermenting all winter.

As Bernie said, time to get your bike ready, so we're in MadMax no Tupperware mode.

It's alive!

20240304_160346.thumb.jpg.ced9c947682370acaf00cbff0182a68d.jpg

• Like 9
2 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

Well... I'm kinda embarrassed to admit this... But this is the first time I've touched my RT since I got home from FART. Those bugs on the windshield have been fermenting all winter.

As Bernie said, time to get your bike ready, so we're in MadMax no Tupperware mode.

It's alive!

20240304_160346.thumb.jpg.ced9c947682370acaf00cbff0182a68d.jpg

That Bernie ... he certainly gets you motivated !!   I hope to be riding tomorrow ... almost like Bernie ...less miles more coffee !! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Indy Dave
1 hour ago, taylor1 said:

It must be contagious 

51BF8044-ACCA-433F-8416-64B59EA45C9D.jpeg

Great minds and all... :ohboy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
BruinsFan

Rotated my oils and tickled my values today just as Bernie said in hopes I'd find he would post them routes! He must have went for a ride and forgot about posting them today. The suspense is killing me. Hahaha! Zumo arrived and trying to figure this thing out. I am not as tech savvy as I may look. 🤪 

Marvelous Monday coming to all those with bikes to ride. Go Bruins! 

• Like 3
wbw6cos

Still a few weeks to go before Bernie cuts loose with the fun rides to download.

Patience, Weed Hopper.  Patience.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Don’t worry the calendar is marked to remind me when it is due for me to release the routes.

But if you want to get familiar with your GPS unit, I would suggest to check out the GPS section of NewEnglandRiders.org, lots of useful information on how to use a Garmin GPS, how to set it up, how to program it and how to use it.

This is a good time to get your GPS units updated and also to learn how to use it or program it.

• Like 1
Indy Dave

The hits will be coming fast soon. Video, A Boxflyer Treat, dinner news and of course, Bernie's World Reknown coffee. Err I mean routes.

• Like 3
  • Plus 1 1
  • Thanks 1
Stresspuppy

I feel like a kid at Christmas... "Can I open just one now please? I promise I can wait for the rest until Christmas morning."

• Haha 2
rounder jim

Rounder Jim is looking forward to this years event and plans to be there.

• Like 5
Indy Dave

:lick:Is it dinner time yet? :lick:

:stir:Details soon :eat: 

FB_IMG_1700522340251.thumb.jpg.bbd9951d7bc0e5f6f1380a0aea745f82.jpg

Resized_20231212_154618_1710337263763.thumb.jpeg.13ec054d5e4a8ef209533d713887d200.jpeg

Resized_1703017421654_1710337261325.thumb.jpeg.b71259260c76f1e1721a0a3b65ecc5e6.jpeg

• Like 7
Motorhead1977

OMG 😱 and here I sit a mere 6 days post op from open heart bypass graft surgery! Yikes. While I'm definitely planning on it, hopefully I'll be recovered enough to attend START even if I'm not going ride. I should at least be able to fetch tools for Boxflyer as long as they're not really heavy (think Fred Sanford 🤣)

Edited by Motorhead1977
updated text
  • Like 8
StretchMark

Decided to extend our GSMNP vacation to include START. Glamping in Cades Cove the week before then headed to the Newport KOA for START and plan to catch up with the gang for the dinners or whatever is planned.  I’ll read back through the thread tonight to see what’s up. 
Christine and I are in! 

• Like 4
Lone_RT_rider
9 minutes ago, StretchMark said:

Decided to extend our GSMNP vacation to include START. Glamping in Cades Cove the week before then headed to the Newport KOA for START and plan to catch up with the gang for the dinners or whatever is planned.  I’ll read back through the thread tonight to see what’s up. 
Christine and I are in! 

Oh hell, there's goes the neighbor......ummmm.....errrrr.....I mean, SWEET! Awesome!  :18:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
John Ranalletta
54 minutes ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

Oh hell, there's goes the neighbor......ummmm.....errrrr.....I mean, SWEET! Awesome!  :18:

We need to review our credentialling process.

• Like 1
TSConver
1 hour ago, StretchMark said:

Christine and I are in! 

We are at the Newport KOA as well.

• Like 3
Indy Dave
On 3/13/2024 at 12:55 PM, Motorhead1977 said:

OMG 😱 and here I sit a mere 6 days post op from open heart bypass graft surgery! Yikes. While I'm definitely planning on it, hopefully I'll be recovered enough to attend START even if I'm not going ride. I should at least be able to fetch tools for Boxflyer as long as they're not really heavy (think Fred Sanford 🤣)

Six days? Bypass? Just in time, you have all that NEW and UNCLOGGED artery space to fill up!! You better order a DOUBLE portion of Pork!

Glad you're doing well and we do hope you can come. But don't push it, ride over in the car so we can all evaluate your recovery with a battery of test's Boxflyer will design for you to implement - complete with wires and tubes for accurate measuring at any given o2 level and altitude. It'll be good for you both, as it will help keep him from lollygagging around all day! 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

Six days? Bypass? Just in time, you have all that NEW and UNCLOGGED artery space to fill up!! You better order a DOUBLE portion of Pork!

Glad you're doing well and we do hope you can come. But don't push it, ride over in the car so we can all evaluate your recovery with a battery of test's Boxflyer will design for you to implement - complete with wires and tubes for accurate measuring at any given o2 level and altitude. It'll be good for you both, as it will help keep him from lollygagging around all day! 

:3:

• Like 1

Well, @Indy Dave said I should come up with a coffee shop list. While doing that I found a mistake in one of my routes for START 2024 and knowing that @John Ranallettawill be attending, I figured I better fix this problem.

So I am sorry that I am running a little late with the coffee shop list, but I am trying.

In the mean time I have some nasty picture for you guys to view.

Don't worry it is not R rated. More like RT rated.:rofl:

START2024Routes.thumb.jpg.69cb74e02ab446eeff6099a089463436.jpg

• Like 7
  • Smile 1
John Ranalletta
38 minutes ago, Bernie said:

Well, @Indy Dave said I should come up with a coffee shop list. While doing that I found a mistake in one of my routes for START 2024 and knowing that @John Ranallettawill be attending, I figured I better fix this problem.

So I am sorry that I am running a little late with the coffee shop list, but I am trying.

In the mean time I have some nasty picture for you guys to view.

Don't worry it is not R rated. More like RT rated.:rofl:

Why me?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
Motorhead1977

So, @Bernie, very interesting picture could this mean that routes may not be far behind?? Since I still have some pain meds to blame the question on I know that inquiring minds want to know. :whistle:

• Like 2
Indy Dave
3 hours ago, Motorhead1977 said:

So, @Bernie, very interesting picture ..... not be far behind?? Since I still have some pain meds .........

Interesting choice of words you selected  including BEHIND and PAIN MEDS. . .  @Boxflyer wanted me to be sure to bring my scope camera, Dielectric Tune-up Grease & Anti-seize :read: . .   Now you know me, I don't ask too many questions, I do what I'm told by Brad :dontknow:. But if I had to guess..... you might just be needing those pain meds . . .:computer:

20240315_191120.thumb.jpg.e8e0c8646ac9e8893832424bc7b148ed.jpg

• Haha 5
BerettaRacer
5 hours ago, Bernie said:

So Bernie, is this like a ski area trail map??

Where Green is beginner, Blue is cruiser intermediate, Black is expert only, and Red is putting your life at risk???    LOL

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

BerettaRacer - 

Don't ask questions you don't really want the answer to......

:4607:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thinking 1
3 minutes ago, BerettaRacer said:

So Bernie, is this like a ski area trail map??

Where Green is beginner, Blue is cruiser intermediate, Black is expert only, and Red is putting your life at risk???    LOL

Not really. I think any of those can kill you.

I use color to help me separate the routes better. 

But the biggest problem has been trying to find coffee houses along the routes. There are just not enough Starbucks in Tennessee and Kentucky. I just don’t know what all the GS riders are going to do without any Starbucks?

:3::88:

• Like 3
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 1
greiffster

I was going to photoshop Dave’s head in here, but I’m not that talented.

IMG_7348.jpeg.474e699556e31ecead5b79d38f7c7fa4.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 7
taylor1
9 hours ago, Bernie said:

But the biggest problem has been trying to find coffee houses along the routes

If you can't find coffee, but could use some good grub, just follow Tewks for a while. Legend has it that he can sniff out a good BBQ joint over a hundred miles away.

• Like 3
  • Smile 2

The sniffer helps a lot but usually, it’s a good tip from a Southerner that works best. :cool:

@Rockosmith gets 99.9% credit for this suggestion. ;)

image.jpeg

• Like 5
taylor1

Pat, hopefully we can meet up there, or another Q place for a lunch. Will talk at Start

• Like 3
  • Plus 1 1
BruinsFan
On 3/13/2024 at 12:55 PM, Motorhead1977 said:

Dang Motorhead! Hope and pray for a speedy recovery for ya. 

• Like 2

Good morning everyone!

Garmin has updated the City Navigator NA MapSet to Version 2025.10.

Garmin has also updated both versions of Garmin Express (Win & iOs)

So now I can finalize the routes and get them ready for upload for the event.

Please don't forget to update your Garmin and/or BMW GPS devices.

Of course you should first dust them off and recharge them.

And don't forget to use the cable that has "GARMIN" imprinted on the USB end.

PS: If you use BaseCamp, don't forget to select in Garmin Express, under installation options: "Computer and Device"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Stresspuppy
5 minutes ago, Bernie said:

Good morning everyone!

Garmin has updated the City Navigator NA MapSet to Version 2025.10.

So now i can finalize the routes and upload them for the event.

Please don't forget to update your Garmin or BMW GPS devices.

Of course you should first dust them off and recharge them.

And don't forget to use the cable that has "GARMIN" imprinted on the USB end.

Bernie, 

As I’m sure everyone else does, I greatly appreciate your work on this. Makes figuring out what to ride easy. 

What format will you provide? I’m using the Scenic app and usually use GPX. You have been talking about Garmin and since I don’t use one, I’m not sure if the file types are different. 

Thanks. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Stresspuppy said:

Bernie, 

As I’m sure everyone else does, I greatly appreciate your work on this. Makes figuring out what to ride easy. 

What format will you provide? I’m using the Scenic app and usually use GPX. You have been talking about Garmin and since I don’t use one, I’m not sure if the file types are different. 

Thanks. 

You will see, that you will be fine. Just make sure your Navigation App (Scenic, OSManD, BMW Connected App etc) and its map data are up to date.

The route announcement will have links to GPX files for the routes.

There will be 2 was to retrieve these routes, one way gives you all the routes in one big file, this is best used for Garmin/BMW GPS units or folks that know how to use BaseCamp.

The second way is to download each route file (GPX) separately to your phone, tablet or computer. It would be best to safe these individual route files to your online cloud storage service, so you can then easily import them into your Navigation App of your choice.

Please remember that each route has at least 2 portions, one leaving the motel to some place out there and one to get you back to the motel. 

So when I will post these routes, don't forget to get all the routes downloaded, they are no extra charge.

PS: as always, some routes have more than one way to return to the motel.

• Like 3
marcopolo

I have the Scenic app on my iPhone. You will have no difficulty importing the individual GPX routes into Scenic on your phone. First, though, you’ll have to download Bernie’s individual GPX routes onto your desktop computer (Mac, PC, or laptop).  Then go to Scenic’s desktop app (NOT the iPhone app), and drag and drop routes into the dialogue box you’ll see (read Scenic’s instructions first).  When you’ve loaded the routes into Scenic’s desktop app, they’ll magically appear in the import queue on your Scenic iPhone app. Just tap each route, and follow the prompts. You’ll recalculate each route on your phone as part of this process. 

• Like 2