IGNORED

2024 START (Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour) April 24-28, 2024 Newport, TN

Indy Dave

Indy Dave

I think it's worth noting, that if you end up using the scenic app to run the routes, if you choose "turn-by-turn directions" , it will NOT follow the intended route that Bernie created.

• Like 2
Dennis Andress

I'm out :(.  I put a lot of house and car projects on my todo list without considering they all have to be done before it gets hot around the end of May.

• Sad 4
taylor1
21 minutes ago, Dennis Andress said:

I'm out :(

Bummer   We were looking forward to seeing you

Stresspuppy
1 hour ago, marcopolo said:

I have the Scenic app on my iPhone. You will have no difficulty importing the individual GPX routes into Scenic on your phone. First, though, you’ll have to download Bernie’s individual GOX routes onto your desktop computer (Mac, PC, or laptop).  Then go to Scenic’s desktop app (NOT the iPhone app), and drag and drop routes into the dialogue box you’ll see (read Scenic’s instructions first).  When you’ve loaded the routes into Scenic’s desktop app, they’ll magically appear in the import queue on your Scenic iPhone app. Just tap each route, and follow the prompts. You’ll recalculate each route on your phone as part of this process. 

Thanks. I use Scenic a lot and have imported a bunch of stuff (I made some waypoint files; one has all BMW dealers across the country, one has all interstate rest stops on the east coast, one has state parks on the east coast, etc. so I can turn them on when planning or while I’m riding, I’m happy to share if anyone wants them). But I appreciate the reminder to check the routes. I do use turn by turn and it seems to work most of the time but based on your input I won’t assume. I plan to spend as much time as needed to go through each and make sure they don’t do something wonky. 

(so is this where we compare country and world rankings? 🤪 I’m pretty low I think and this isn’t really the thread for it)

@Bernie do you provide a map like you shared above so people can make sure their import is on track? Though that is asking a lot so I understand if not. 

• Like 1
Panhandle Chuck

In. Weds-Sun. Thankfully, I made hotel reservations on October, 30th!  

• Like 3
Rockosmith
On 3/16/2024 at 8:00 AM, TEWKS said:

The sniffer helps a lot but usually, it’s a good tip from a Southerner that works best. :cool:

@Rockosmith gets 99.9% credit for this suggestion. ;)

image.jpeg

Great Q for sure!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
bluenoserswife

We've updated our reservations, Bluenoser and I are now coming in on Monday the 22nd, and heading out on Sunday Morning.  It's a long drive, so we'll have more time to explore.  I guess it's 4.5 weeks away.

• Like 3
On 3/1/2024 at 2:38 PM, Skipcurt said:

Jeez! I literally just had a set PR6’s delivered two weeks ago. Go figure! Maybe they’ll honor my receipt date. 

Me too, and I doubt it... BUT, I checked how much I'd have saved, and to my surprise, the 'reduced' price was higher than the $472 I paid (MaxBMW), so not sure what kind of rebate they're talking about. But it it was a manufacturer mail-in rebate, it'd be nice if it applies retro-actively. Somebody needs to post them:grin:.

In. I'll be in the RV, again, staying at a KOA just a few miles away.

• Like 3
Lowndes

I just called the BW motel to ask to be put on the waiting list and got a double, no problem!!  Just barely made it under the wire.  

SO,      I'M IN!!

• Like 5
wbw6cos

There is no sense in procrastinating, eh, Lowndes?

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 3
John Ranalletta
25 minutes ago, Lowndes said:

I just called the BW motel to ask to be put on the waiting list and got a double, no problem!!  Just barely made it under the wire.  

SO,      I'M IN!!

No problem.  You could have slept in my car.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thinking 1
2 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

There is no sense in procrastinating, eh, Lowndes?

He was probably broken down waiting for a tow so not his fault for being late :grin:

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 2
Lowndes
2 minutes ago, RTinNC said:

He was probably broken down waiting for a tow so not his fault for being late :grin:

HOW does he know these things??!!

• Smile 1
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

large.20230922_175550.jpg.98188935905a98d00581a1f82781faf2.thumb.jpg.db6acfdc7404ae93e3da43a34ff6cb96.jpg

What year is that, there’s so many similar pictures. I get them all mixed up.

• Smile 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thinking 1
18 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

large.20230922_175550.jpg.98188935905a98d00581a1f82781faf2.thumb.jpg.db6acfdc7404ae93e3da43a34ff6cb96.jpg

Even if he runs late, he always shows up. :18:

• Like 3
47 minutes ago, RTinNC said:

What year is that

That was last year...... I know because KaTooM and I found space on our trailer to get him home!!:thumbsup: 

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, TSConver said:

Is it to early to post the weather forecast?  Asking for a friend.

Well, my friend says NO. He thinks it is best to report the weather after the event.

:3:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
mneblett

In for Weds.-Sun.  This will be my 1st START -- looking forward to meeting the herd!

Mark

• Like 6

A friendly Reminder to everyone that is using the routes for START 2024 or for any other ‘A.R.T. events!

The routes are for your personal use only.

By downloading these Routes you agree not to post, publish or share them.

Bernie and the BBR guys would appreciate if you do NOT post these routes on other websites or upload them for public use in Navigation Apps.

We make these routes for you and your riding friends private use.

You are welcome to save them and use them any time you like, now or in future. You are welcome to share them with your riding friends or your riding groups.

We just don’t want them to be used by Navigation Apps as their own routes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Bluenoser
18 hours ago, Bernie said:

A friendly Reminder to everyone that is using the routes for START 2024 or for any other ‘A.R.T. events!

The routes are for your personal use only.

By downloading these Routes you agree not to post, publish or share them.

Bernie and the BBR guys would appreciate if you do NOT post these routes on other websites or upload them for public use in Navigation Apps.

We make these routes for you and your riding friends private use.

You are welcome to save them and use them any time you like, now or in future. You are welcome to share them with your riding friends or your riding groups.

We just don’t want them to be used by Navigation Apps as their own routes.

@Bernie I think this is a wise and necessary precaution.  Something I was wondering about is that anyone on the internet can download the routes, login is not required to download them.  Would it be possible for admin to restrict downloads to only login members?

Great looking routes Bernie, very much looking forward to START.

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1

Here is a video I recorded on my to last years ‘ART events.

As you will notice it is very important to stay alert and always look for a escape route.

Always keep in mind that 4 wheel jockeys don’t expect us to be on the road also.

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1
Indy Dave

Sweet-Sassy Molassy! :clap:

sweet-sassy-molassy.gif.f18fcb6e2c2fcbb0ab7e86a9d377fa3e.gif

whosgoing2024newportNov1pg1sm.thumb.jpg.e0d313d6103f6f69934c00f61642b047.jpg

whosgoing2024newportMar19pg2.thumb.jpg.5ac4bdb317127d7341edf711857c3676.jpg

whosgoing2024newportPg3Mar31.thumb.jpg.29adb3dd8c65ffc23ebef08e622f12a3.jpg

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Bernie said:

As you will notice, it is very important to stay alert, and always look for a escape route.

I experienced something very similar in Gila last year, but with a freaking giant RV that didn't (or couldn't) move, on a 180-deg tight blind curve, and I was going at a higher clip than that:grin:. It was the only vehicle I saw on 30+ miles, since it was a Wednesday. But yes, that kind of thing can happen at the worst possible time, so we should always be ready. Why they decide to cut corners when they can't see sh*t, and can't correct quickly, is beyond my comprehension. If I was a car, we'd have collided for sure, as he was invading over half my lane. I made it fine, but scraped the X-Head protector, so had nothing left; definitely a 'oh crap' moment. But that's why we should always leave some safety cushion either on our bikes, or on ourselves... depending which of the 2 is more capable. Ha ha.

WOW .... what a crowd !!  I believe I count 16 first timers!    How cool is that !! 

Looks like we got us a party! :18:

• Like 9
Stresspuppy
6 hours ago, RTinNC said:

WOW .... what a crowd !!  I believe I count 16 first timers!    How cool is that !! 

Looks like we got us a party! :18:

What has the attendance, total, looked like at the last few ARTs? The last number I was was right around 100 registered. As a first-timer I may need a scorecard to keep everyone straight.

9 minutes ago, Stresspuppy said:

What has the attendance, total, looked like at the last few ARTs? The last number I was was right around 100 registered. As a first-timer I may need a scorecard to keep everyone straight.

Dave would have the actual numbers but I thought the ARTs usually run in the 80ish number of attendees….. some a bit more some less.  Weather always impacts the final actual total as well 

Stresspuppy
1 minute ago, RTinNC said:

Dave would have the actual numbers but I thought the ARTs usually run in the 80ish number of attendees….. some a bit more some less.  Weather always impacts the final actual total as well 

Wow, so this would be a big one. That hotel parking lot is going to be quite full.

Are they usually in the same locations (START and FART) or do they move around?

59 minutes ago, Stresspuppy said:

Wow, so this would be a big one. That hotel parking lot is going to be quite full.

Are they usually in the same locations (START and FART) or do they move around?

The evening parking lot 'tire kicking' and "cussin and discussin" is super fun.

The START and FART locations vary from year to year but always in the same region GA, NC, VA, TN, etc. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, RandyShields said:

I know we have a number of Bourbon aficionados who attend.  Out of the thousands of whiskey quotes over the years, these rose to the top in a recent article.  I think a vote is in order.  I particularly like Winston Churchill's.

The 9 best whiskey quotes of all time (msn.com)

My vote for Tug McGraw ! 

RandyShields
1 minute ago, RTinNC said:

My vote for Tug McGraw ! 

Yeah, that's a good one.  

• Like 1
syntorz
6 hours ago, RandyShields said:

Yeah, that's a good one.  

Twain: “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.”

Reminds me what a friend at a cocktail party says to me (maybe you've heard it):

"Good martinis are like female breasts. One is not enough and three is too many."

Indy Dave

They say that Black Holes grow as the universe expands, and that Black Holes contain extremely strong gravity -  making them hard to resist . . .   Maybe that explains it? :shake:

The Count says ... :4316:  110!  :4316:. . . Ha Ha Ha . . . 

thecount.jpg.f0a69a4c4cd59dc75ba641ed88ffb3aa.jpg

whosgoing2024newportNov1pg1sm.thumb.jpg.e0d313d6103f6f69934c00f61642b047.jpg

whosgoing2024newportApril1pg2.thumb.jpg.a228f0e643819990eaa1db376b39c5cf.jpg

whosgoing2024newportPg3April1.thumb.jpg.f1a74fb0201d4a8da2c9b72fb202c8af.jpg

whosgoing2024newportPg4April2.thumb.jpg.b102999f137ee08252f5b9b8e8154c2b.jpg

• Like 7
  • Smile 1
wbw6cos

We're gonna need a bigger boat.   

:yes:

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
  • Smile 2
marcopolo

Wow, 103!  Who would have thunk it?

• Thinking 1
BamaJohn
On 4/1/2024 at 9:05 AM, wbw6cos said:

It is a big parking lot.

...and to quote a friend:  "And we park for free!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
15 minutes ago, marcopolo said:

110 is the current count.

• Like 2
marcopolo

I guess I should learn to read the whole slide. 

• Smile 1
  • Haha 4
Lone_RT_rider
3 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Record territory. :18:Maybe of all BMWST events? :dontknow:

It's getting close.  The first Blue Ridge Rendezvous in 2008 at the Maggie Valley Inn was a bit over 140 people. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Indy Dave
7 hours ago, marcopolo said:

7 hours ago, Bernie said:

110 is the current count.

Mark was converting to Canadian!   

2x3-canada-flag-image__99191.thumb.jpg.1a4029734114dfd148f9cf40bf86c289.jpg

• Like 2
  • Smile 2
  • Haha 1