IGNORED

2024 START (Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour) April 24-28, 2024 Newport, TN

Indy Dave

Lone_RT_rider

Poor Mark! Always taking such crap for da Maple leaf.....eh?

ytnZ1E.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
wbw6cos

He ran out of fingers and toes?

• Like 1
  • Smile 1

And on top of all that it he's getting 8" of snow up north ..... EH ! 

• Sad 2
  • Dennis Andress featured this topic
Indy Dave

Did we mention Boxflyer will be at START?!

• Like 13
  • Plus 1 1
  • Smile 2
Motorhead1977
4 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

Seems I recall hearing something like that......

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

Will there be Moon Pies? 😂

• Thinking 1
Indy Dave

TODAY is the deadline for Friday Dinner and Award Ceremony. Please make sure the people you know are signed up :)  

Reservations for Dinner and Awards:

whosgoingtodinnerliststart2024april2.thumb.jpg.2f28701f5a6ce3634cba2dd3305941b7.jpg

82. Big-T

83. Chris Williams

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

@wbw6cos can certainly back it in for him, but I think, the dude’s gonna need a Bigger Rig!   :5146:  :4322:

I've actually seen that rig in person and it is freaking HUGE!   Was driving from Houston to Austin and thought What The Heck is THAT? 

Not surprising it was near a Buck-ee's !!  Thought that was quite fitting. 

• Like 1
1badfrog

I am heading down for the start rally with papabreau

Also a first timer for the Thursday ride if we can get there in time.

• Like 4
Indy Dave
15 minutes ago, 1badfrog said:

I am heading down for the start rally with papabreau

Also a first timer for the Thursday ride if we can get there in time.

Happy to have you - please be sure to get your dinner funds in today for the Friday night dinner and awards gathering. You can find the info a couple of posts up, also on the separate thread for dinner.

Thanks and welcome!

• Like 2
wbw6cos

My stepmother lives in Brenham.   I am going to visit with her on Memorial Day weekend.   I will have to look for that Que Trailer.    What timing.   I hope it has not sold yet.   We shall see.

1badfrog
2 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

Happy to have you - please be sure to get your dinner funds in today for the Friday night dinner and awards gathering. You can find the info a couple of posts up, also on the separate thread for dinner.

Thanks and welcome!

Already sent the money in for dinner. Anything else needed to register?

• Like 1
Indy Dave
On 4/4/2024 at 8:47 PM, 1badfrog said:

Already sent the money in for dinner. Anything else needed to register?

No Sir - you might PM me with your email, so I get your meal credited to the right person.  And if you haven't already - check out this First Timer thread:  

• Like 2
Indy Dave

UPDATE. I was able to get Big Al to extend the final count deadline. You now have until Sunday night to get your dinner reservation in. As a side note, the person who keeps the tally of who's coming and the dinner paid list has been severely under the weather the last few days, and they really don't want to be tasked with tracking down the holdouts. So pretty please, with sugar on top . . .

Screenshot(36).png.25ea3331a006abbdd9ab642fcb668ad7.png

• Dennis Andress unfeatured and featured this topic
Indy Dave
22 minutes ago, F16Viper68 said:

@Indy Dave have we ever had 92 people sign up before?  

No Sir!

• Like 3
wbw6cos

.....if those numbers match the amount of people who actually attend START,    Hoping everybody can make it.

:whistle:

• Like 1
Indy Dave

Hmmm.... Everybody wants to be part of START...

Screenshot_20240408_194800_TypeApp.thumb.jpg.4fdcb37dfeae431171a3e519bad4308e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 1
  • Dennis Andress unfeatured and featured this topic
14 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

Hmmm.... Everybody wants to be part of START...

Screenshot_20240408_194800_TypeApp.thumb.jpg.4fdcb37dfeae431171a3e519bad4308e.jpg

Yes ... it appears folk are "RUSHing" to START !! 

• Smile 1
Stresspuppy

For the group rides, do people connect headsets to chat or just catch up at each stop? I have a Cardo that I use for Turn-by-Turn and listening to music but have never paired with another unit. Between Cardo and Sena and the different ways to connect the units, just curious what people typically do. Although you may not want to hear me yelling "wheeeeeeeee" through every turn.

• Like 1
wbw6cos

Lots of folks use Cardo for comms on rides.  Just don't let anyone push the wrong button to place it in start pairing mode or you will lose your Bluetooth pairings for music,, etc..  Am I right, Shawn @Lone_RT_rider?

Seriously,  it is a matter of choice whether people decide to connect up, or not.   You can discuss it prior to gathering the riders together.  After that, the next decision is which fun route to ride.   :yes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Stresspuppy said:

For the group rides, do people connect headsets to chat or just catch up at each stop? I have a Cardo that I use for Turn-by-Turn and listening to music but have never paired with another unit. Between Cardo and Sena and the different ways to connect the units, just curious what people typically do. Although you may not want to hear me yelling "wheeeeeeeee" through every turn.

For the First Timer ride on Thursday, I am not too concerned about riders interconnecting by intercoms. I think you be busy enough trying to stay on the road. I actually prefer less chattering while riding and more while we are parked for lunch. 

• Like 6
Stresspuppy
1 hour ago, Bernie said:

For the First Timer ride on Thursday, I am not too concerned about riders interconnecting by intercoms. I think you be busy enough trying to stay on the road. I actually prefer less chattering while riding and more while we are parked for lunch. 

Sounds good, except for the trying to stay on the road part. I'm not sure what you have planned, but comments like that can make a guy nervous. :classic_ohmy:

Indy Dave

I think Bernie's main point is that comms can be useful, but they're more often a distraction. Since we have the ability to communicate beyond road hazards and helpful information, the tendency is for there to be a lot of conversation. Whether one realizes it or not, it becomes a distraction.

Everybody will have the route, and it's a simple matter of following the rider ahead of you.

If you've not ridden this area before, the roads are quite curvy and often there are blind curves etc. we don't have (many) roads like that up here in Central Indiana.

Bernie's pace I'm sure we'll be tailored to the group, And I think he would prefer people concentrate on their riding, and not chit-chatting.

Bernie is a veteran at leading rides. You all are in very good hands!

• Like 8
  • Thinking 1
Skywagon

I have a SENA and if there is another rider with me I pair up.  I think mine can add up to 8, but that would be way too chatty for me.  No more than 2 is what I do.

Matts_12GS

Ashley and I will be there Tuesday through Saturday at the KOA

• Like 3

The problem with sometimes using headsets is that the fellow riders expect the leader rider to see everything and warn them about everything. Well that doesn’t always work out like that. Last Saturday for example, my head set connection stopped working after the first stop. But also what happens is that some of the turkeys and dogs hide in the tall grass or in the ditch and then run out after the first rider has passed them by.

That is why everyone has to be alert for themselves, since you are supposed to be riding your own ride. It isn’t a race or a racetrack.

But if you do see a signal pointing at a possible hazard, from the rider in front of you, it is your responsibility to pass that signal on to the rider behind you.

And that is another reason we recommend to ride in small groups.

• Like 6
  • Plus 1 1
Stresspuppy

I whole-heartedly agree with both of you (Indy Dave and Bernie). I was thinking more communicating something you see, something to be aware of and not so much chit-chat. That's for long straight highway rides I would think. But to Bernie's point, it's not as straightforward and logical as one might want. Riding in a group is definitely a different experience and requires a little bit of different thinking. I've done some larger rides in my past on my cruiser and while fun in some ways, not as enjoyable as just riding your own ride, stopping when you want, etc. So I'm good with small groups. And definitely riding my own ride. A mantra I try to live by. No fun if you ride just to keep up with someone else (faster or slower than you prefer). Do your own thing, be safe, and meet at the next checkpoint/stop. 

I was asking as a mostly solo rider to see what, if anything, I might need to do (like silly things such as learn to pair my Cardo with another unit :shake:)

Looking forward to seeing everyone in about 2 weeks. Sounds like it will be several days chocked full of riding, story telling (true or otherwise), and watching Boxflyer work his magic.

• Like 2
Motorhead1977

I've ridden with Bernie on at least more than a couple occasions without the "convenience" of communication devices beyond hand/foot signals and the rides went without a hitch,, were very enjoyable and excellently led.  Sometimes less is more.  It's good to disconnect from the "grid" every so often.  The increased concentration paid to your surroundings and the actions of your riding partners is a real bonus.  Also a reason why I don't listen to music while riding my motorcycle either.  Of course, YMMV.

• Like 2
BruinsFan
On 4/3/2024 at 6:24 AM, marcopolo said:

Wow, 103!  Who would have thunk it?

Mr Marco, to answer your question, I was a first timer last year. I took baby steps in introducing myself to very few in the crowd last September. Those folks that met me half way represented the BBR regulars quite well and now the ice has broke, maybe I'll get lucky enough to extend that friendship with a few more "first timers" and help out in representing them just as well as the group I met at FART. 

But the one and only most important reason I was there to begin with, was due to the fact Boxflyer was on YouTube. In knowing I would be buying a bmw, I began watching technical wrenching videos and his channel popped up and I thought... "I'll give this old guy a try and see what lessons he learned in all his time on earth. 🤣

Video was a success. I read in the comments, said this guy Boxflyer had a EVENT at the upcoming START. 

Super long story short, Mr Boxflyer was your first representative of the BBR group for me. I can see him playing a major role in the future of not only mechanical training to ppl around the world, but also in the lives of those who get to meet him. He's just a jam up good guy all around with his quick whit / dry humor / jokes / and of course his MOON PIES... and almost forgot to mention his intelligence. Ha! 

See you girls in a couple weeks. Ha

Edited by BruinsFan
  • Like 6
Motorhead1977

Only 11 days left before we leave! The spare prop shaft for my RS is being delivered by UPS today so I'll have one JIC when @Boxflyer does the full final drive service on my RS. Even though I won't be riding this go round I'm so looking forward to the event :5188:

• Like 2
marcopolo

I picked up my new 2023 1250GS yesterday.  I will be departing Ottawa on Tuesday, the 16th.  I'll be breaking in the new bike on my way south, and will likely have next to no miles on the odometer, when I depart.  That means two days of back roads to Virginia (instead of the usual one day of 600 miles on I-81).  I'm having the running-in check done in Virginia next week.

IMG_5978.jpeg

• Like 26

So the "START" of your riding the new bike will be to START :3:

Looks great !!  Enjoy the backroads to VA. 

• Like 2
BamaJohn
8 minutes ago, marcopolo said:

I picked up my new 2023 1250GS yesterday.  I will be departing Ottawa on Tuesday, the 16th.  I'll be breaking in the new bike on my way south, and will likely have next to no miles on the odometer, when I depart.  That means two days of back roads to Virginia (instead of the usual one day of 600 miles on I-81).  I'm having the running-in check done in Virginia next week.

IMG_5978.jpeg

Great-looking bike Mark!  See ya soon....jb

• Like 2
RandyShields
7 hours ago, marcopolo said:

I picked up my new 2023 1250GS yesterday.  

Nice!  Looks great.  I certainly hope that it was paid for in whole or in part by the insurance company of the idiot who ran you off the road in DC and sent you to the hospital.  Glad you will be able to make START.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, marcopolo said:

IMG_5978.jpeg

Nice looking bike! :18: If you happen to be in or near Martinsburg WV on Saturday the 20th, (Brad, Paul, Mitch and me) will be staying the night on our travels south. More an FYI if you needed something. Me, a truck bed, Brad a superhero mechanic, Paul, he could whip you up some vittles I’d bet. :spittake:

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
marcopolo
17 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Nice looking bike! :18: If you happen to be in or near Martinsburg WV on Saturday the 20th, (Brad, Paul, Mitch and me) will be staying the night on our travels south. More an FYI if you needed something. Me, a truck bed, Brad a superhero mechanic, Paul, he could whip you up some vittles I’d bet. :spittake:

Thanks, Pat.  My plans, as they stand now, have me in Bryson City NC for two nights (Saturday and Sunday).   I'll be riding to Newport on Monday.  

• Like 4
marcopolo
18 hours ago, RandyShields said:

Nice!  Looks great.  I certainly hope that it was paid for in whole or in part by the insurance company of the idiot who ran you off the road in DC and sent you to the hospital.  Glad you will be able to make START.

Thanks, Randy.  Let's just say that GEICO came to their senses, and we reached an out-of-court settlement, in mid-January.  I was at the BMW dealer in Ottawa the next day (just looking, of course!).

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
Lone_RT_rider
5 minutes ago, marcopolo said:

Thanks, Pat.  My plans, as they stand now, have me in Bryson City NC for two nights (Saturday and Sunday).   I'll be riding to Newport on Monday.  

Wow, that schedule sounds a bit familiar. ;)

• Smile 1
  • Haha 1
RandyShields
4 minutes ago, marcopolo said:

Thanks, Randy.  Let's just say that GEICO came to their senses, and we reached an out-of-court settlement, in mid-January.  I was at the BMW dealer in Ottawa the next day (just looking, of course!).

Cool!  Congrats.

BerettaRacer
3 hours ago, marcopolo said:

I might be in Bryson about that time too. Coming up from Suches.

But I'm thinking more Dragon/Cherohala on Monday, then on up thru Little Switzerland Tues/Wed

Or somthing along those lines.

• Like 1
Lone_RT_rider
1 minute ago, TSConver said:

Too early for weather forecasts?  Asking for a friend.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too early.  In the mountains, 2 days prior might be relevant.  I never trust the weather up there until the day before myself. 

Shawn

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
13 minutes ago, TSConver said:

Too early for weather forecasts?  Asking for a friend.

Don't ask about the weather, this is not Homedepot.

This is a RAIN or SHINE event, so waterproof your GS or bring a cover.

Also if you wash your bike before the event, you better don't tell anyone. Because everyone is going to blame you and point fingers at you, since you most likely caused the rain.:88:

Just telling you how it is, if you can't ride in the rain, you better bring a book and a extra bottle of sleeping pills. :3:

• Like 5
Motorhead1977

I am confident that there will be some weather everyday.  Without exception, unless of course there is another earthquake in Northern NJ followed by a total eclipse.  Then all bets are off and the Bourbon will stay uncorked. :3:

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
marcopolo

My theory is, never talk about the forecast.

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 2
  • Thanks 1
Indy Dave

** ADMINISTRIVIA ** 

Wednesday, April 19 - The Hoosier Clean Living Shirkers invite you to grab a beer in Indy Dave's room - (#101) next to Boxflyer's trailer. Stop in and say Hi!

NOTE: This 'Teaser' video will be updated (added onto - with a new link) by Monday with the final START schedule and Timetable - that means the START :spittake:  of the video will remain the same, but vital info will be added to it. 

The new video - with the timetable and schedule will be posted on this thread, along with contest info and other LAST MINUTE EVENT DETAILS.

In the meantime, plan on having your first beer with The Hoosiers in Room 101 on Wednesday, and enjoy :3::

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1