IGNORED

First Timer Info

Indy Dave

Indy Dave

Here's MY take on what you can expect at an ART - others will add their thoughts and Pro-Tips as well.

These events tend to be loosely structured, allowing riders to make their own way, on their own schedule. There are a few 'constants' however:

1) At the end of the day, the hotel parking lot becomes a social gathering with riders sharing their version of the day's ride and other stories, often while sampling adult beverages. There is an enthusiastic Bourbon contingent and allegedly we have some home distillers in our midst. One provides their own refreshments - but plenty of sharing takes place..

2) Our newest tradition is Endobob's Pizza Extravaganza on Thursday night. This happens at the hotel and compliments item 1 above. The cost is whatever the pizza itself costs.

3) Friday night we have a group meal together. Details for the meal are announced about a month before the event.

The majority of riders show up on Wednesday, but free to join us on whatever day works into your schedule. You are more than welcome to camp, keeping in mind that most activity is based around the host hotel.

It's worth noting that we do not organize any rides*! We will provide several GPS routes of differing lengths that start at the hotel and include a lunch stop. Routes have at least 2 return options from lunch of differing distances. Some riders ride alone, some in very small groups and some in small groups. Finding a group to ride with is easily done - generally during the parking lot social the night before or early the next morning. Some leave at the crack of dawn, most leave at more normal hours and still others need their beauty sleep - so there's something for everyone. These routes are famously outstanding! They will be released about a month before the event.

* @Bernie may lead a ride for first time ATTENDERS (and other interested riders if room allows) [but not new riders] to help new folks get acquainted with other riders. 

• Like 4
  • Indy Dave pinned this topic

Excellent summary and overview Dave.  What I enjoy about the “ART” events is they truly allow you to ride your own ride  either solo or with any number of riders you desire on YOUR schedule and then at the end of the day get to share your day with other like minded riders. They are really an easy event to attend and enjoy. 

• Like 3
R65_Steve
9 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

It's worth noting that we do not organize any rides*! We will provide several GPS routes of differing lengths that start at the hotel and include a lunch stop. Routes have at least 2 return options from lunch of differing distances. S

How is this done?   I've seen at other rallies someone brings a PC and loads tracks onto people's Garmins, etc?  

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, R65_Steve said:

How is this done?   I've seen at other rallies someone brings a PC and loads tracks onto people's Garmins, etc?  

Bernie @Bernie to the white customer service phone! 

• Smile 1
terryofperry
20 minutes ago, R65_Steve said:

Approximately 30 days prior to the event a link will be provided containing suggested routes. A description of the routes, how to download, recalculate and install on the GPS will be provided. We will try to answer questions and solve issues before the event. Several folks bring laptops with them as well. Not everyone utilizes Garmin GPS  units or Basecamp, some navigate with cell phones, Tom Tom or other devices. We will do our best to help where we can.

Terry

32 minutes ago, terryofperry said:
1 hour ago, R65_Steve said:

Approximately 30 days prior to the event a link will be provided containing suggested routes.

And if you happen to have a problem getting them on your GPS, I'll bet Indy Dave would be more than gracious to help you, or even do it for you. Don't ask me why I would think that :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thinking 1
5 hours ago, R65_Steve said:

I am sorry, I was out riding around. I will post a more detailed reply shortly. :bike::4617:IMG_9486.thumb.jpeg.39fdd925becc6f90c5613b18fab6fd2b.jpeg

• Like 1
7 hours ago, R65_Steve said:

It is done very simple.

I will post an announcement around 5-4 weeks before the event, with the download links for the routes and matching tracks.

The routes are available 2 different ways.

1.: We have a link to a large GPX file, which includes all the routes (including the different return routes and waypoints). This file can be downloaded to your computer and then transferred to your Garmin/BMW GPS. It can also be imported into Garmin BaseCamp (Windows or Mac) or MapSource, before you transfer it to your GPS unit. 

2.: In the announcement is a section that provides the name of each route with a brief description. The name of each route is a link that allows you to download that individual Route (and matching Track).

These routes are created in Garmin BaseCamp using the latest version of City Navigator North America, which at this moment is 2024.02. It will be important that you update your GPS unit with it’s newest software and the newest Map Data. This can easily be done with Garmin Express.

If you a novice to using a Garmin or BMW GPS unit, I would recommend to switch over to NewEnglandRiders.org and search for their GPS tutorials.

NewEnglandRiders.org/GPS

They have created a PDF version of Windows and Apple versions of BaseCamp with lots of pictures. It is a great read with the adult beverage or a cup of joe in front of the fire place, while you are waiting for the snow and ice to melt, of for the paint to dry on your bike.

Also please note. The individual route links will work in the BMW Connected App for all the BMW bikes with the 10.25” TFT display. It should also work with directions and arrows in all the other BMW TFT bikes that can use the BMW Connect App. The routes are in a GPX format and should be able to be used in any phone/tablet or other navigation device or app that can import and process a GPX file. NO IT WILL NOT WORK IN GOOGLE MAPS, with out you converting it with some sort of software.

Also for everyone that can’t make it work at home, and please do try it. I, and maybe some of the other BBR guys will have computers with the GPX files that we can load on to your GPS, IF you bring your designated Data cable with your GPS. I also carry Micro-SD, SD and USB sticks with the routes. As for the phone Nav App, just download the links to your phone or to your online storage solution and then import them into what ever Nav App you choose.

If needed I can try to come up with a list of Phone Apps that work with our routes.

If you need help, please search us out in the early evenings, we normally are out riding during the day.

PS: Here is a link to a PDF that is in the Download section of this Forum GPS BaseCamp Guidelines

This hopefully will answer some of your questions.

Edited by Bernie
  • Like 6
  • Plus 1 1

There are also a sub group that looks for dirt to ride on.  We usually have a route or two planned outside of Bernie's that are for the ADV crowd.

• Like 1

Also there is usually a bit of bike wrenching happening mostly planned around Brad (aka Boxflyer) and some unplanned, cough cough Lowdnes and others.  

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 1
R65_Steve

Thanks.  I know how to.load tracks in the GPS from the PC, but when I went to the National they had people to load it for those that rode in without a laptop. 

Or, I. An glom onto a group ride.  Or both.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, R65_Steve said:

Thanks.  I know how to.load tracks in the GPS from the PC, but when I went to the National they had people to load it for those that rode in without a laptop. 

Or, I. A glom onto a group ride.  Or both.

I will have a windows computer with the routes at START, to help load routes up, if you can’t do it at home.

I am just trying to encourage everyone to load the routes to their GPS before they leave for the event.

You can always delete them after the event. 

The best time to get assistance with route uploads is Wednesday evening at START. 

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, TSConver said:

Also there is usually a bit of bike wrenching happening mostly planned around Brad (aka Boxflyer) and some unplanned, cough cough Lowdnes and others.  

:3:

• Like 1
60Aviator
52 minutes ago, TSConver said:

It is not an official ART event until Lowdnes has his bike disassembled in the parking lot. Funny thing will be the reason for the scattering of parts.   

• Like 4
1 minute ago, 60Aviator said:

It is not an official ART event until Lowdnes has his bike disassembled in the parking lot. Funny thing will be the reason for the scattering of parts.   

I'm beginning to think Lowndes just likes the warm and dry ride home with his bike in tow :4316:

• Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

This really sounds like a great time! My wife & I are really looking forward to it. Thanks to all that makes this happen.

• Like 5
28 minutes ago, brorke said:

This really sounds like a great time! My wife & I are really looking forward to it. Thanks to all that makes this happen.

Glad you’re attending Bill !  

Hoping we can get a ride or 2 together 👍

• Like 2
marcopolo

I'll just echo Bernie's suggestion to download - at home - the routes and tracks (links for which will be posted on this website about a month before the event), and load them onto your GPS, or other device.  I would not necessarily depend on being able to have someone do it for you at the event, as last-minute issues can crop up for us that require our attention.

• Like 4
Indy Dave

Thanks everyone for the input and laughs. 

I would like to try to keep this thread as concise as possible and focused on info for first timers - so when they look through the thread, they can find what they need, without losing focus. :18:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Indy Dave

Just to be clear - please feel free to add any insights geared toward first timers to The Art's that you might have  - I was only trying to cut down on the well meaning and true 'insider' observations that might water down the thread and be lost on first timers for lack of reference. Don't worry - soon enough they will know the cast and have their own insider quips to share!

Cuz if you're like me, and I know I am :ohboy:I could add on to the 'insider tips and observation quips' pretty much ad nauseam :read:

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

A friendly Reminder to everyone that is using the routes for START 2024 or for any other ‘A.R.T. events!

The routes are for your personal use only.

By downloading these Routes you agree not to post, publish or share them.

Bernie and the BBR guys would appreciate if you do NOT post these routes on other websites or upload them for public use in Navigation Apps.

We make these routes for you and your riding friends private use.

You are welcome to save them and use them any time you like, now or in future. You are welcome to share them with your riding friends or your riding groups.

We just don’t want them to be used by Navigation Apps as their own routes.

• Like 2
marcopolo

For the First Timers, just a reminder that Thursday is Endobob's Pizza Night.  Unlike the Group Dinner on Friday, we do not ask people to pay in advance for pizza.  However, we do want you to let us know whether you plan to attend pizza night, so we have a reasonable idea how much pizza to buy.  There will be a sign-up sheet at the hotel check-in counter.  Please look for it when you check in to the hotel.  You can also find the sign-up sheet at the informal Meet and Greet on Wednesday evening.  As for payment, it is in CASH please.  We will have one of us wandering around Thursday evening (just before pizza is served) with an ice bucket, so you can throw in the required amount (we only determine that amount when we buy the pizza.  It's usually less than$10 per person).  We don't have a cash float, so it would be very helpful if you arrive with small bills (no coins please), since it's not easy to make change, if everyone arrives with the twenty-dollar bills that got at the ATM.  Thanks.

• Like 2
Indy Dave
1 minute ago, RTinNC said:

And none of that pretty Canadian paper money please 😂

Easy now ... @marcopolo usually mines the cash for the pizza... And his say is final. Give him a hard time, and he may be exchanging your Washington's for Loonies. 🇨🇦 🦆

• Haha 2
Indy Dave
10 minutes ago, RTinNC said:

And none of that pretty Canadian paper money please 😂

And if you really hassle him, @bluenoserswife  will make you play the bagpipes for your dinner. And I'm thinking (although you do have a lot of hot air), you could be going hungry! 

• Smile 1
wbw6cos
1 hour ago, marcopolo said:

.................................. if everyone arrives with the twenty-dollar bills that got at the ATM.  Thanks.

As a suggestion from me, which is not official by any stretch of my imagination, but one could always use the $20 bills and not expect change.  You know, for service charges.   

And tell them:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
marcopolo

Well, a number of people do exactly that, without any prompting. 

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
wbw6cos

I just wanted to fit that quote in there somehow.   :yes:

• Like 3
  • Smile 1
TSConver
1 hour ago, Cruschme said:

Hey this is Cliff I’m trying to figure out how to get counted for Friday nights dinner

You need to send indydave a PayPal for the amount. The info is in the first.post of the dinner thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1