IGNORED

Cars..

roadscholar

9 hours ago, roadscholar said:

^^ I’ll take a WAG.  $42,500.

It's GovDeals, so prolly higher with the high bidder not fulfilling their commitment and second bidder not taking the offer, then the car gets relisted.

Seen it with a few higher end vehicles

Most likely dealers will be bidding on the Porsche, anything 911 is hot right now. They'll know the market and won't pay too much but if one wins they'll want it.

On 12/8/2021 at 8:42 PM, roadscholar said:

Most likely dealers will be bidding on the Porsche, anything 911 is hot right now. They'll know the market and won't pay too much but if one wins they'll want it.

I think dealers as a whole bid on vehicles from GovDeals.  Lotsa good prices on vehicles to be had, some with extremely low mileage, many well beat up and worn, some with full maintenance records.  A year or so ago, I can't remember the exact car, I think Challenger, was auctioned off from Alexandria, VA,.....it was an abandon car at the airport with something like 18k on the odo.  One of the questions asked was if someone would just "abandon" the car and the response was that the seller tried contacting the owner, checked all legal avenues and yes, the car was driven to the airport and abandoned.  It went for some high $$.

11 hours ago, roadscholar said:

Some interesting tech, wonder if it's viable for everyday use.

If by interesting tech, you mean super (ultra) capacitors - possibly. They are already in use. As for replacing a battery in an ev, they do not have the energy density yet. Graphine based caps look promising.

A super cap battery could be quite long lived and recharge very quickly - similar to fueling up a current car.

• Like 1

The indoor collection.

IMG_0510.thumb.JPG.b2d83689ac6806070d3e3386154d025c.JPG

The outdoor collection.....

IMG_0511.thumb.JPG.53b7922039a2bccfc4644a0ad361c60f.JPG

has lost a member

IMG_0514.thumb.JPG.2b7cf0fe260d7ae00066ff9633947098.JPG

Backed into while parked at the hardware store. It was deemed a total loss.

How does that 128i run, decent performance? Been thinking about one vs the 135, heard of a few problems with those and the turbo.

80* here today, yes I’m working : )

D3C2D0D4-3948-4D8F-8B36-BC19D9930F63.thumb.jpeg.3e707b1416ddaa392a727653ce6b411c.jpeg

44 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

How does that 128i run, decent performance? Been thinking about one vs the 135, heard of a few problems with those and the turbo.

80* here today, yes I’m working : )

D3C2D0D4-3948-4D8F-8B36-BC19D9930F63.thumb.jpeg.3e707b1416ddaa392a727653ce6b411c.jpeg

128i is a nice balance. About 240hp. NA so no turbo issues. Has port injection so none of the DI problems with carbon build up or high pressure fuel pumps. Still has the electric water pump though. Reminds me of my 2003 325i.

Has the m sport suspension package.

It is my winter car. Put the snow tires (Hakkapeliitta 8) last weekend. Rear wheel drive + good snow tires = fun.

Motorcycle riding ended last week when they started spraying salt brine on the roads.

2 hours ago, BrianM said:

128i is a nice balance. About 240hp. NA so no turbo issues. Has port injection so none of the DI problems with carbon build up or high pressure fuel pumps. Still has the electric water pump though. Reminds me of my 2003 325i.

Has the m sport suspension package.

Thanks, what I was thinking, about the same power as the E36 M3 which is fine with me, I’m sure it has a more efficient gearbox tho (auto).

3 hours ago, roadscholar said:

Thanks, what I was thinking, about the same power as the E36 M3 which is fine with me, I’m sure it has a more efficient gearbox tho (auto).

I have a 6 speed.

Not sure I like it as much as the 5 speed in the E46.

Had an E90, the same 6 speed - not the greatest shifter. It was an x drive - way too much front oriented, RWD is better.

1 hour ago, BrianM said:

I have a 6 speed.

Not sure I like it as much as the 5 speed in the E46.

Had an E90, the same 6 speed - not the greatest shifter. It was an x drive - way too much front oriented, RWD is better.

I had a Z4 for awhile with the 6 speed auto, it was ok but think I prefer the 5 speed auto in the E46. Had a 5 speed manual in an E36, nice gearbox. Just  keeping an eye open for an older 128 vert,  they’re nearly all auto. Which is fine, I raced Porsche’s for 30 years, have already done enough shifting for one lifetime.

• Like 1

My wife bought her first car with an automatic transmission 2 years ago after 55 years of driving manuals. She said it was about time, but I think if the model had been offered with a manual option, she might have gone that route again. She does appreciate it now though. No way we were getting a cvt transmission though, obnoxious sob's, those.

Think I told this story before, I lived in Aspen one Winter in the mid 70's in a house with a few other guys. Needless to say the roads were always covered in snow. A roommate and I had Porsche 356's which are great snow cars (the Police had Saabs), and no we never got chased.. Although we did have contests to see who could do the best 180, 270 or 360 coming down the street and end up in the driveway. One day another roommate that was kinda goofy tried it in his econoline van and hit a parked car, that pretty much ended it.

• Haha 1
38 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

Wow!  What a bargain!!

It appears to be, I thought it would be more. I wouldn’t buy one of those w/o looking at it first tho, wonder if some of the bidders did and know something we don’t. If it has any engine or trans issues it can get expensive fast.

• Like 1

Sorry Bill, I was being facetious; I wouldn't know a bargain price for a Porsche if one ran me over.   Guessing under $10 k is what I would call a deal.  :grin:   Just routine service would be out of my league.  But, it is nice to look at and think about.

Thanks for keeping us, the great unwashed, informed.   

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Not quite a car but a lot of craftsmanship was put into this rig! :thumbsup:

That is NOT a truck I'd want

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

Wonder why they did not show any photos of the motor?  :dontknow:

You can register and ask,......most sellers add the additional picture request.

2 hours ago, Rougarou said:

It's real, nobody would make a replica of that, not worth enough plus it would cost more than the real thing. The front seat bottoms were reupholstered incorrectly, they should have the same pleating/design as the seatbacks.

Edit, says the guy familiar with German cars not British ones : ) 

15 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

The shape the rear seats looks out of place, definitely redone at some point. A nice car, but needs a good inspection before a bid.

I got lost in the car, I realize now I meant the front seats.

8 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

It's real, nobody would make a replica of that, not worth enough plus it would cost more than the real thing. The front seat bottoms were reupholstered incorrectly, they should have the same pleating as the seatbacks.  

Nothing about the seats looks right. The seatbacks look incorrect for the period, too much side and top bolstering, done with modern foam cushioning rather mimicking than the hair and springs of the time. 

I think the cushions look more correct than the seatbacks.

37 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

I got lost in the car, I realize now I meant the front seats.

Nothing about the seats looks right. The seatbacks look incorrect for the period, too much side and top bolstering, done with modern foam cushioning rather mimicking than the hair and springs of the time. 

I think the cushions look more correct than the seatbacks.

I'm not a RR expert but it appears there are several iterations. Here are 3 other 1947 Silver Wraith's with different style upholstery. The one in question is oddly half of one and half another which on 2nd thought may well be correct. Those cars were hand made and could have been to the specifications of the buyer but more likely are just different models with corresponding different interiors.

180527_Interior_Web.jpg

1947 Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith Formal Saloon by Barker ...

rolls royce, Silver, Wraith, 2 door, Saloon, 1952, Classic ...

And yet another Silver Wraith interior (albeit a '49 not '47) with smooth seat bottoms and pleated tops like the original.

89f54d0103dfd6b538475db024db11cc.jpg

Interesting. Handmade and custom to the owner makes sense.

Good research you've done, and just for silliness, no real reason to go so deep on an auction car not really up for consideration by anyone here.

We are an odd bunch....

• Plus 1 1

I think the bigger picture is we’re learning stuff about automobiles, their history and the subtleties that set them apart and makes them unique, I know I am. As marques go RR was a pretty important one in the grand scheme of things and particularly during that time frame.

• Like 1

jumping off topic for a second

You’ve all heard of the Little Old Lady From Pasadena?  How about Tewksbury? I just came by this photo of my grandmother’s last car. I was young but remember it being pretty cool! :thumbsup:

Here she be. :classic_biggrin:
image.jpeg.dd4235ab254ba519a4c92cbabbffccef.jpeg

8174255D-094E-4F49-B830-E6EB9E8D046E.jpeg

• Like 2

Yup, and I distinctly remember being yelled at for playing with them. Eight years old, shiny trinkets, what she expect…:dontknow: :classic_biggrin:

Stripes and stickers too. :cool:

image.jpeg.51e565cbbdd3b43d199e9984e62c85e4.jpeg

• Smile 1

I just know my grandma had the plastic covers on the living room davenports (that's couch to you non- Midwesterners) and plastic runners on the carpet (green, of course). Didn't matter, we weren't allowed to use either. You boys go outside. And don't play with the birdbath.

Grandma sucked and was a lousy driver.

• Haha 2

My older brother’s name is George as was my father’s. So, every time the Chevelle came rolling in the yard I had to expect being called Little Georgy and getting my cheeks pinched. Ya, grandmas do suck! :yes: Just kidding on the last part. :classic_biggrin:

One evening my grandparents came over to our house for dinner (early 60's). Grandpa had a VW Beetle (he was 92 at the time), when they were leaving about dusk there was a big circular planter the driveway went around, it was only a brick or two high on one side but maybe a couple feet on the other where the ground sloped off. You guessed it, he missed the driveway drove straight across the planter right off the high side and kept going like nothing happened : ) You could see grandma's head bobbing up and down when the rear wheels crashed onto the ground, we got a big laugh out of that one. 

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, TEWKS said:

My older brother’s name is George as was my father’s. So, every time the Chevelle came rolling in the yard I had to expect being called Little Georgy and getting my cheeks pinched. Ya, grandmas do suck! :yes: Just kidding on the last part. :classic_biggrin:

Im glad your grandma didn't sick, mine did.

When I get a chance, I'll throw a thread in Full Throttle. What I have to say may not be appropriate for "Discussing non-motorcycle related topics."