IGNORED

Cars..

roadscholar

13 minutes ago, taylor1 said:

They have made some very good looking vets , and some not so good looking. In my opinion ,  that prototype falls in the latter.

And yet that front end became the IROC Camaro.

10 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

The dead Cayman  I looked at today. :) 

Just a FYI/warning, if you do drive one of those newer ones then an older one it'll be like going from a 1250 to an 1150 BMW, it may not seem so great anymore : )

• Thanks 1

Sure does look nice, you know it's an auto. although is a PDK which is a dual clutch unlike a Tiptronic, it's what all the race cars have now (they're faster than a manual). Really low miles but then the price reflects that.

• Like 1

Looks like NADA says around $26,200 with the mileage. I didn’t add in any options which might get the number closer to his asking price. Looks like wheels and trans would be an up charge. :dontknow: Little over priced you think? Your preference, Auto or Stick? Stick would make it my car,  ;) Auto, I might have to share. :ohboy: :classic_biggrin:  Thanks again for your knowledge with these cars! :thumbsup: PS…I’m kinda chuckling here, let’s call this Porsche shopping on a budget. Makes perfect sense to me. :rofl: 

3 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Looks like NADA says around $26,200 with the mileage. I didn’t add in any options which might get the number closer to his asking price. Looks like wheels and trans would be an up charge. :dontknow: Little over priced you think? Your preference, Auto or Stick? Stick would make it my car,  ;) Auto, I might have to share. :ohboy: :classic_biggrin:  Thanks again for your knowledge with these cars! :thumbsup: PS…I’m kinda chuckling here, let’s call this Porsche shopping on a budget. Makes perfect sense to me. :rofl: 

Likely not (much overpriced) in this market, the books can be off by quite a bit particularly on low mi. specialty cars. A buddy runs a small high end dealership nearby, they sold a 22k mile 03 996 cab for 41,500. today but it was perfect, and red. Nada and Kbb have it at 30-31k high retail, they probably paid a good bit more than that for it wholesale.

Once in awhile if I’m selling a car or bike and the guy mentions Nada or KBB and says they’re quite a bit less, I like to say maybe they can find you one for that, you should call them up and see  : )

Heck sharing might not be so bad, who knows might earn some credits : ) A PDK is like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, it’s a taxi cab in auto but a racecar in manual mode.

https://www.rusnakpasadenaporsche.com/porsche-information/how-the-porsche-pdk-transmission-works/

• Thanks 1
54 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

And covered it??

Why not?

Don’t have a garage here.

Spends the winter in a heated (a/c also) garage under an indoor cover next to my GSA.

Also cover my bike at work, started doing that in the mid eighties.

Damn, forgot to cover it ;)

It is the Porsche cover and has a clear panel by the plate. Same as some BMW bike covers I have seen.

Interestingly, the Porsche cover was one of the more reasonably priced covers.

• Smile 1
19 hours ago, TEWKS said:

I would keep an eye on the PCA (Porsche Club of America) market place for price comparisons. It has people who know what they are selling to people who know what they are buying. KBB and similar are not always the best for niche cars like Boxsters.

My wife insisted on a manual.

• Like 1

That's a good wife!

My wife bought her first automatic transmission she has ever owned two years ago, at 70 years old. She didn't want to, but Camrys don't have manuals anymore, and she thought she was ready to join the regular people. She likes it ok, but misses the control of the manual.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

That's a good wife!

My wife bought her first automatic transmission she has ever owned two years ago, at 70 years old. She didn't want to, but Camrys don't have manuals anymore, and she thought she was ready to join the regular people. She likes it ok, but misses the control of the manual.

Since we have been married, my wife has purchased one auto trans. She has a c300 4 matic sport. She bought it because we had adopted and now had a kid (4 door car). It is now her winter car . She uses her Boxster as her summer car (6 speed). Can’t really complain, I have always had a bike and a car.

I prefer manuals also. We bought the kid a manual. She does not like them , but can drive one (17yo).

7 hours ago, BrianM said:

I prefer manuals also. We bought the kid a manual. She does not like them , but can drive one (17yo).

Both my daughters were taught on a stick.  Both my daughters first cars were manuals.  Oldest daughter got her second car as a manual, youngest went automatic.

• Like 1

Something similar to learning how to drive using a manual transmission. I took a few flying lessons back in the mid eighties. The school used low wing aircraft. I asked the instructor why they didn’t teach using the high wing Cessnas they had? He said you’d have a difficult time transitioning to a low wing if you didn’t learn in one. :dontknow:  See, that was kind of similar. :classic_biggrin: 

47 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

More just a look at this. I like used low mileage anything, cars, bikes but man, this’d be the easiest noncommittal I ever partook in. :classic_biggrin:

$5,500. Maybe the IMS bearing is going out… :dontknow:

00404_6fAjs9XK5FYz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Love how it says its "high mileage" for a 17 year old car that averaged less than 6k per year.

Pat, just get a Miata, go cheep on the car and any repairs and have a two seater convertible without the name

• Like 1
4 hours ago, TEWKS said:

More just a look at this. I like used low mileage anything, cars, bikes but man, this’d be the easiest noncommittal I ever partook in. :classic_biggrin:

Seems cheap, maybe too cheap. Could be a great deal.

No interior pictures, look for common wear on drivers seat bolster, dash fan/temp switches.

Minimum would be a PPI with oil and filter inspection, drop oil sump would be better. Pretty much any debris - walk away. Also give indication about anything else that might need repair.

Porsche can be very reliable, if taken care of.

My wife has wanted a Boxster for years. She had never driven one. Went to a local Mazda dealer that had a used Boxster. She went to do a test drive. First she tried a couple new Miatas, convertible and the folding hard top. Then she drove the Boxster - in her words not a very good one. She preferred the Boxster - Miata was very small inside (my wife is not a big person), Boxster was much roomier. The Boxster performance was in a different league than the Miata. She was actually thinking of getting a Miata - could easily get a new one for what a Boxster would cost - but not after a back to back test drive.

• Like 1
On 9/28/2021 at 6:10 AM, TEWKS said:

If it runs and drives it should've been gone by now it's a 12-14k car from the looks of it. Likely a scam with 2 of the 3 clues, no phone number, price ridiculously low, and one pic. He did spell it Posche in the title though, probably a Freudian slip : ) 

• Like 1
On 9/28/2021 at 11:03 PM, roadscholar said:

Likely a scam

You’re probably right Bill, at this very moment my email is most likely circulating the dark corners of the web waiting for exploitation. :ohboy::classic_biggrin:

A couple older ones with a very large price gap. Again, I appreciate all the input here. What I’ll do at this point is still an unknown but, I am enjoying the search. My reading and research is telling me the 986 is less refined than the 987 but still a fun car to drive.

A 2000 for $19,895

image.thumb.jpeg.ff6a788de33b83f839a7e0d0db294ae9.jpeg

A 2001 for $12,000  this seems way better to me. ;)  

image.thumb.jpeg.617687e7efd57075f5d198be14d50528.jpeg

• Plus 1 1

Nothing wrong with a clean 986, they have a different personality than a 987 and in some ways I like them better. A good entry level car to see if it’s your thing although they’ve been escalating the last couple years. That 2nd one is def preferable to the 1st and if a nice car seems priced right. Been for sale a couple weeks they might be ready for an offer who knows.

My red one is an 01 S with a little over 100k, the previous owner took good really care of it, I like it a lot.

DA69A6F3-D9FD-416A-8720-7A17A1D7CF2D.thumb.jpeg.163c0ced2e3b0af870208d2030a03509.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks Bill! :thumbsup: 

Funny, my neighbor called today to see where my interest was with his nephew’s (formerly his) 05. Told him I was ready if the price fit. Seems there is a delay on the other end with the nephew. But, I’ll see where it goes in the next few days.

• Like 1
John Ranalletta

Cars warming up for xtreme driving experience.  Birthday gift from kids   An hour in around Autobahn track. Did a CA Superbike track day here a lifetime ago. Driving Hellcat widebody. 

Much less than an hour.  3 laps in instructor-driven Hellcat and 3 laps driving with instructor in right seat.

54E25A4B-7CCB-4A67-8622-C03569112F08.jpeg

• Like 5

Yes, he said it’s been a problem for a while. He had it looked at a couple of times with no solution. :dontknow: Or, lasting solution I should say.

On 10/8/2021 at 8:32 AM, John Ranalletta said:

Cars warming up for xtreme driving experience.  Birthday gift from kids   An hour in around Autobahn track. Did a CA Superbike track day here a lifetime ago. Driving Hellcat widebody. 

Much less than an hour.  3 laps in instructor-driven Hellcat and 3 laps driving with instructor in right seat.

54E25A4B-7CCB-4A67-8622-C03569112F08.jpeg

John, I didn’t realize that was you in the video, (thought promo) that looked awesome! :yes:

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, TEWKS said:

John, I didn’t realize that was you in the video, (thought promo) that looked awesome! :yes:

He looked good (smooth) and was ready to let it rip after the third lap (that’s about how long it takes to get familiar with a track). Too bad they shut it down, a couple more and the instructor might’ve been like that salesman on a test drive with Jeff Gordon : )

• Haha 1
John Ranalletta
8 hours ago, roadscholar said:

He looked good (smooth) and was ready to let it rip after the third lap (that’s about how long it takes to get familiar with a track). Too bad they shut it down, a couple more and the instructor might’ve been like that salesman on a test drive with Jeff Gordon : )

For sure, not enough time and laps.  Plus, on two laps had to slow to pass other drivers.  The mistake I made was asking to go last out of pit lane thinking I'd delay others. 

BTW, the cone layout (lift, brake, full brake, turn-in and apex) was very helpful.

6 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

For sure, not enough time and laps.  Plus, on two laps had to slow to pass other drivers.  The mistake I made was asking to go last out of pit lane thinking I'd delay others. 

BTW, the cone layout (lift, brake, full brake, turn-in and apex) was very helpful.

Cones are a quick way to learn and with just 3 laps necessary. Besides braking points the out cones (turn in) are probably the most important because most new students want to turn in too early which screws up the important part, the exit as it determines your speed at the end of the straight in turn killing lap times.

Obviousy braking points too, too soon and you’re coasting, too late and the best case scenario is probably flat spotting tires. In the 70’s and 80’s some tracks had 300, 200, and 100 foot brake markers but don’t think you see them much anymore. A lot of drivers pick out a reference point/object nearby for help with that. 

Cool they let you experiece 750hp, makes you realize how important a controlled approach and working up to it is, it was obvious the drivers being passed weren’t quite ready for that much car. Also experiencing a pass is good, it changes your lines plus you never know for sure what they’re going to do : )

One of the the most fun things is racing bumper to bumper door to door with someone you know you can count on.

Couple cone stories, mid 80’s I’d met a guy at Miami Grand Prix (Fred Baker raced Porsche’s in the 60’s) that ended up going to some of the vintage races with me. One year they’d just changed turn 1 at Sebring making it much tighter and was blind with a big concrete walk on the inside. Because it was long it was hard to read where to turn in so Fred put up a big orange cone on the wall at the apex for me, we used it all weekend. After we were done Sat morning he took it down. Later that morning after 12 Hour warm up, several IMSA crew chiefs and drivers came over and said put that damn cone back up we don’t know where to turn in anymore : )

First time I raced in the 12 Hours (1980) my crew chief and lead driver said to memorize where the big cone was between the airport straight and back straight (90*/180mph) because every year on the 3rd lap Hurley Haywood takes it out on purpose..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

There really wasn’t a definitive turn just wide open runway hundreds of yards in every direction, it was just IMSA’s way of trying to keep everyone on more or less the same trajectory. Not such a big deal in daylight but at night you couldn’t see crap (90* curve at top speed) so it could get a little dicey when a 220mph 935 and a 150mph 280Z were taking different lines.

Theres a story about a Brit that came over in the 50’s and got so far off course out there at night he had to turn off his motor to hear where the cars were and get back to the circuit.