IGNORED

Cars..

roadscholar

4 hours ago, roadscholar said:

One of the the most fun things is racing bumper to bumper door to door with someone you know you can count on.

Much smaller scale but I know exactly what you’re talking about. Matt S and I met at F-1 Boston some years back and it played out exactly like that. Bumper to bumper start to finish it was an absolute blast! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Cayman GT4 RS coming in November. You can put a car's engine in a more convenient place but you can't put it in a better place than in the center..

• Like 1
5 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Over everything produced today and even with no limitations, that would be my Car! :java:

Ain't nothing stopping you but an ink pen signature.......finance it as a recreational vehicle for 30 years

• Haha 1

Tewks knows if he buys one Dave Ramsey will personally come to his door and punch him in the nose. 

Hearing the German drivers talk another the drive reminds me of Hans Stuck on the podium at Road America years ago and he proceeded to yodel….it was priceless. 

• Haha 1
36 minutes ago, mickeym3 said:

Tewks knows if he buys one Dave Ramsey will personally come to his door and punch him in the nose. 

People still listen to that guy selling common sense:dontknow:  I read some of his stuff once, and realized, we are already doing what he's selling,.........damn, shoulda had the wife pimp her process.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, mickeym3 said:

Hearing the German drivers talk another the drive reminds me of Hans Stuck on the podium at Road America years ago and he proceeded to yodel….it was priceless. 

In the 80's ESPN was covering the 24 Hours of Lemans, Larry Nuber was interviewing Stuck in the pits on live TV after they'd had some problem and he'd just done a stint at qualifying speed, he goes "ya, now vee just have to drive the car how you say, balls out.. (with a big ass grin : )   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Suppose almost any amateur could cross over the double yellow, but in a Ferrari? While on it’s roof? :eek: Now that’s a cocktail party conversation right there I tell ya! :classic_biggrin:

Of greater curiosity, the bike parked behind that grey Ferrari looks like a large tanked Husqvarna…Any guesses? :dontknow:

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah I’m not a fan of all that pointy/slash styling, looks a little adolescent to me. 

Got the old 986 out for a shakedown and to make sure the heater works, might need it pretty soon.

FCEBC369-5EAC-4564-A743-7C70E489ED83.thumb.jpeg.1fc7f860237021b4c385f22429085766.jpeg

• Like 3

My Porsche chase has stalled as of late. No word from my neighbor and his nephew’s car. I know there are others out there. It’s possible though, I may just be waiting to see that next new GS break cover….:dontknow:

• 2 weeks later...

Porsches - smorsches, check out this vintage beast. I have raced against one or two of them and they are nothing to be toyed with, the best thing is to just stay out of the way.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, TEWKS said:

How low can you go? :dontknow: Or better put, how to make a nice car practically useless. 

image.thumb.jpeg.e580ea91a6bfec9a685a576469c732c6.jpeg

I took an MGB and lowered a low car.  Removed a leaf out the back and got some lower front springs.  I know I coulda fit under some big rig trailers!!!

IMGP0805.JPG

• Like 1

Probably a good thing you didn’t try that slip under. ;) I have a “good thing I didn’t try it story”

I’ve mentioned this more times than I should about me taking some flying lessons back in the mid 80’s. The plane was a Grumman trainer. I remember asking the instructor if it was capable of aerobatics, I believe the answer was yes, but limited.

About six hours into some solo flight time, I contemplated doing a barrel roll. (had no right thinking I could do that btw) I figured I had plenty of experience with RC planes at the time, what could go wrong. :dontknow: 

I chickened out at the last minute which was probably a very good thing! :dopeslap:

Probably good you didn’t become a pilot : )

my instructor said I was ready to solo after 6 hours (my brother, early 70’s), I never went in for the physical and let it lapse. I’ve thought about it many times since, probably a good thing too..

• Like 1

Tewks....that was probably an AA1A..  They were real susceptible to spins.  Very underpowered....but they were certified for limited aerobatics.  A barrel roll would have been fine provided you had a enough speed to complete it....if not it would have gotten interesting.  A friend of mine...an ER Nurse in Richmond, Ca had one.  He was working on his instrument rating and I was riding right seat with him as his eyes.  It was a fun plane.  He went on to get his instrument and instructor rating.  He later plunged that little yellow airplane into the Pacific around San Diego.  That was 20 years or so ago and the NTSB has not issued a final ruling.

• Like 1

Most of my time was in a Cherokee 140, I liked it much better than a high wing. One time I was setting up for an approach to Daytona and was way too high. It was late in the day and my brother didn't want to go around again so he took the controls did about 4 things at once, the plane turned almost sideways and fell like a rock. When we were close to touching down he straightened it back out for a perfect landing, it's when I realized I had a lot to learn : )   

• Smile 1

He slipped it in. ;)

Edit…

The Airport was directly across the street in that picture of the lowered challenger. Now it’s a golf course and elder housing. 

11 hours ago, TEWKS said:

How low can you go? :dontknow: Or better put, how to make a nice car practically useless. 

image.thumb.jpeg.e580ea91a6bfec9a685a576469c732c6.jpeg

Probably has air bags, dropped to park and look cool.

It does.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Removed a leaf out the back and got some lower front springs.  I know I coulda fit under some big rig trailers!!!

This vid seems vaguely familiar but anyway, :dontknow: (may have posted it before) I realize it’s a stunt but so much bad could happen really quickly. 

• Smile 1
1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

I’m going guess Bill might be like 🤮:classic_biggrin:

1 hour ago, taylor1 said:

Ha    I'm sure he's picky  The green really looked good in the sun

51 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Oh I’m sure he’d like the green but the powder coated yellow wheels would lose it some Mecum points I think.  ;)

Correct on all three : ) I have one like it sans the pukey wheels, it does look good in the sun plus there aren’t many that color. At the time everyone wanted silver, black, red, or white, but the offbeat colors get more attention these days.

001.JPG

image.thumb.jpeg.862b3d87c7e2fdc6151821e5cc659664.jpeg

• Haha 1

Me? Purely coincidence on the car but evidently I’m on the glide path when it landed at the Cape, could hear the sonic boom : )

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Somehow I missed that ^^ I'll watch it later. 

Here's a guy someone turned me onto, pretty interesting character that goes around buying up barn finds and parts cars. I can relate, a buddy and I used to ferret out 356's and old 911 race cars in the 80's and 90's before they were worth a lot (I did it all through the 70's too) although they were appreciating but before it was cool to film it.

This episode is Jeeps and Porsches, an odd mix but he's a long time Jeep dealer and knows them well, he's still learning Pcars but picking it up fairly quickly. Automotive archeology, one man's junk is another man's treasure. Warning, it's pretty long.

• Like 1

Back in bout 1999, buddy bought a 97 TJ frame with differentials for $150, he only wanted the frame.  I bought the differentials for $100, was gonna swap them into my 95 YJ since they came off a 4 banger.  Anyway, the 95 got totaled when we were heading to Tellico (we were off the interstate, parked, rollback wrecker hits all three vehicles,....I was sitting in front of my jeep when that happened, drug under it, and crawled out)  Couldn't use the front gears anyway because they were reverse cut.  Anyway, several months after that incident, I moved from Camp LeJeune to Albany, Ga.  I had gotten another Jeep, a 2000TJ with the D44 rear, so, I had even more no use for the differentials (had I known the Rubicon was coming, I'da waited).  While still stock, I went wheeling in Tellico and ended up bending the drag link.  Popped it off, bent it back, but not quite to specs as the front tires wore rather quickly (a few short months). 

Buddy that I got the 97 differentials from, wanted to know if I still had them.  I did.  So, he had just completed a lift on his wife's 2000 TJ and I asked if he still had the stock tires.  He did.  So, I did a trade the diffs for the tires.  He wanted those diffs just for the gearing (crappy Dana35 rear)

I did buy a Chromoly drag link to replace the slighlty bent one,......and about a year later, had the funds up to do everything else I wanted to do to it to make it into a daily driving rock crawler. 

That Cummins from the video, had a highly, highly sought after five speed, the NV4500.  Ultra low first gear, bulletproof tranny.  When the 2000TJs came out, the outfitted it with the baby brother, the NV3550,....good, but not the NV4500!!

Figured you'd have some stories, but jeez  hit by a rollback then crawl out from underneath and walk away, lucky dog right there! I thought the Cummins deal was cool too but don't know a lot about them except the early ones are pretty desirable.

Here's one more that covers the other end of the process.

Ya, it was Memorial day weekend 1999.

My wife, two daughters were in my jeep pulling a brand new pop-up camper (never been used).  My Jeep had a mild 4" lift, brand new BFG 33's, and 4:10's,....essentially, just the start of the build.  My buddy, against my advice, bought a 97 TJ 4cyl.  He just completed the 4" lift and not too mechanically inclined.  His wife and two kids were following along in their Z71.

The TJ, being coil sprung, needs the track bar to hold it steady.  The YJ doesn't as the leaf springs will hold it steady.  I had removed my track bars, but I have a habit of putting the bolts back in the bolt holes.  During this journey, my buddy started getting the death wobble and pulled over.

After assessing the issue, the bolt for his track bar came out.  Soooo, I says I have one.......My not yet two year old is strapped in her car seat watching Teletubbies on the portable TV we brought.  My oldest is hanging out with my buddies two kids in the Z71.  My wife and his wife are chatting across the ditch on the side of the interstate.  Me, I'm sitting dead in front of my Jeep, my head just even with the bumper.  My buddy, is reaching in the wheel well to get his wrench on the nut to hold.  I bend down, start turning the wrench, get two-three turns and wham,....I'm tumbling along not knowing WTF is happening. 

In my mind, funny how training kicks in.  One of the evolutions we have to go through is the helo dunker, part of that training is "do not move until all violent motion has stopped", which is what I did.  Violent motion was happening, then it stopped.  I crawl out from between my Jeep and the camper we were hauling.  In my head, I knew I could get up, but people were pushing me back down, to stay still.  

The rollback sideswiped the Z71 in the rear, my buddies Jeep in the middle, ran over my camper and pushing my Jeep 50+feet.  He then cut the wheel left and flipped in the median.  The car he was towing shot across the east bound lane, the one on the back, stayed.........he was falling asleep at 1400 in the afternoon.

My oldest daughter comes between the vehicles to see how I was, I tell her to get back, my wife comes around and I ask "Where's Raven", it's at that time, my wife realizes the youngest was still strapped in her seat,...out cold.  My buddy, who just had his head in the wheelwell, pulled it out second before the hit, unstraps her and she comes to, but is in and out.  After action, we think the wiper motor whacked her head when the back glass shattered.  My buddy has a massive slice on his leg, took 30+ stitches.

Medics arrive in what seem like seconds.  I'm wanting to get up (I know my body), but they still ain't letting me.  I can hear my youngest screaming, then silence, then screaming, she's still in and out.  They load both of us into the bambulance to take us to the local chop shop.  When we arrive, they then determine that my daughter needs to fly to Duke and then make the call to fly me too.

She arrives first, then they roll me in.  Ain't nothing that breaks your heart more than seeing your little girl strapped down crying and you can't even reach out to touch her.

Anyway, the Duke team takes her to get scanned.  Seems a concussion was in order for her, she's kept for overnight.  They kept me for observation for four days. 

Me, the medical report said something to the effect of "amazing no internal injuries or broken bones".  I had cuts on my head, my right leg was road rashed up as well as my right arm.  My left hand, you could see the bone inside and that was the worst of the injuries I had.  Ended up with a skin graft to the left hand and some nerve damage.  One of the nurses asked "what kind of motorcycle I was riding",.....I thought that funny at the time.   And, we just missed "Life in the ER" by about two hours,....coulda been on TV.

Ya, I really coulda walked away, but they wouldn't let me.

• Thanks 1

Funny timing, my neighbor called today to ask if I was still interested in his nephew’s 05 Boxster. He finally decided to let it go a couple weeks ago but is firm on price. Probably worth what he’s asking but my mojo has faded a bit. I told him if he still had it in the spring I’d be interested. It will sell I’m sure. :dontknow:

6 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

Jalopnik has an opinion on that one. If I were doing a fly and ride to the other coast I'd probably take a chance on it, the miles being a little more than I like if only for resale at some point. 5500. might get it which could be a cheap fun vacation and getting that back shouldn't be hard, if you made it back..

https://jalopnik.com/at-6-200-is-this-2000-boxster-a-cheap-way-into-club-p-1848136336

• Like 1