IGNORED

Cars..

roadscholar

Don't really like the sound of current F1 engines. Preferred the V10s, V12s a close second.

This is a fun video - old so quality is not so good

Most amazing is the lack of rotational inertia - notice how quickly it gains and loses revs.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, lawnchairboy said:

that sound....

2 hours ago, roadscholar said:

Yeah Hemi’s don’t sound like that..

Much better exhaust note

I was at Road Atlanta for a historic race years ago and someone took Clay Regazzoni's 1975 12 cyl Ferrari F1 car out for some solo laps, from the pit straight you could hear it echoing off the hills around the entire track, it made your hair stand up.

cd369dd5cc6d25a38efee73788bf1db2.jpg

One more : )

I was at the Goodwood Festival of Speed over here a couple of months back.
First time I'd seen an F1 car close up for many years, the complexity of the aero is mind boggling.

IMG_6188.jpg

IMG_6190.jpg

IMG_6191.jpg

IMG_6192.jpg

IMG_6183.jpg

IMG_6184.jpg

IMG_6185.jpg

IMG_6186.jpg

• Like 2
9 hours ago, BrianM said:

Schumacher in a V10 Ferrari at Spa. In person these cars are insanely loud.

Best V12 - Looks like Prost Ferrari.

Sounds like those damned horseflys buzzing around you waiting to get swatty and not throaty enough.  The idle alone thumps your chest of a dragster ;)

A 3 litre V10 or V12, screaming 20,000 rpms must be heart stopping in person.

A 10,000 horsepower Niro-Methane powered top fuel dragster leaving the line does is heart stopping in person, to that I can testify. To anyone that has not experienced that, I highly recommend putting that on the Bucket List. It cannot be described. It must be lived.

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Hosstage said:

A 3 litre V10 or V12, screaming 20,000 rpms must be heart stopping in person.

A 10,000 horsepower Niro-Methane powered top fuel dragster leaving the line does is heart stopping in person, to that I can testify. To anyone that has not experienced that, I highly recommend putting that on the Bucket List. It cannot be described. It must be lived.

I have experienced both. While both are impressive, prefer the F1(V10) to top fuel.

My phone ringer is a recording of a Ferrari F1 V10 (Schumacher).

13 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Sounds like those damned horseflys buzzing around you waiting to get swatty and not throaty enough.  The idle alone thumps your chest of a dragster ;)

Have some strange sounding horseflies. Top fuel are cool, but the sound is just ok.

This is my favorite engine sound (not a car). It is a 5KE (last model) TZ250. Straight up on the tach is 11,500 rpm, the digital number is the water temp, in degrees C.

In Daytona in the 60's our house was about 5 miles directly east of the speedway, during the motorcycle races you could stand in the backyard and plainly hear the six cylinder Hondas wail around the banking, it was a sound no one had ever heard before.

On 7/18/2021 at 8:05 PM, TEWKS said:

The internet really sucks! The amount of time I’ve spent searching pictures of Cobalt Blue Boxsters is just obscene! :rofl: 

JV8lr3tjFqRZF96zYgGIsan26NHU4N25EhTTPdqm

Sounds like you may have moved on Pat but just in case, a little darker blue and nicer wheel/tire pkg.

01414_eXa1e5sy4Wrz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

https://charleston.craigslist.org/cto/d/mount-pleasant-porsche-boxster/7374175150.html

• Thanks 1

Haven’t quite given up on it yet but there was mention of his daughter getting her license soon. I’m not sure if he was intending on using it for a training vehicle for her (not a good idea IMO) but if that’s the case, I’ll discontinue the pursuit. 

Thanks for that link Bill, that car would match my buddy’s Cayman S body color perfectly. Speaking of that, he’s offered me the keys to it more than once. I should take it out for a spin see! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Went to the V.A. Outpatient care to give a little blood this A.M. This was in the parking lot. I don,t know anything about Porsche’s , but this looked pretty sweet

ABB96F31-3F56-4E43-8015-794A2944989F.jpeg

B5275038-63B9-4DBC-9358-2C304BEE8122.jpeg

• Like 2
6 hours ago, taylor1 said:

Went to the V.A. Outpatient care to give a little blood this A.M. This was in the parking lot. I don,t know anything about Porsche’s , but this looked pretty sweet

ABB96F31-3F56-4E43-8015-794A2944989F.jpeg

B5275038-63B9-4DBC-9358-2C304BEE8122.jpeg

I'm not enamored with the graphics but I'm old school and just old so that could have something to do with it. It's obviously been hopped up and would imagine gets tracked fairly regularly, I mean who puts white letter tires on a DD. 

I came across this video by a guy named Jake Raby who's a fairly well known and respected engine builder. A pretty good primer on what is now the entry level Porsche, a 986 Boxster, they're somewhat plentiful and relatively cheap to buy and maintain. Having owned several I have to agree with his assessment that the early water-cooled cars are not only the best bang for the buck but offer a more unfiltered driving experience although not as high performance as later cars. But that's been Porsche's MO from the beginning, newer is always faster and more complex, you just have to find your sweet spot (personally prefer balance over big HP), for me a 986 or base 987 is lots of fun but even they're different. Interesting to hear him say what I'd realized after spending time with a few, about the 8:25 mark.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, wbw6cos said:

They all ran when parked, right?

Quite a few old Porsche cars on THE LIST

warehouse-2.thumb.jpg.d0d07afaf9c9120f103beead5c1ef9c7.jpg

Who does stoopid stuff like this?  I've seen quite a few "barn find" news articles such as these.

It's like when you pull up to redneck robbie's house and ask him about selling that truck that's got grass and trees growing around it and he replies "nah, I'm gonna fix that truck up",.....dude, it's been there for 15 years.

One of my friends has had this POS Jeep Cherokee (not a collector item in any sense), hasn't run in 12 years, he's retired, so "no life", yet, when asked about the cherokee, "I'll get around to it",.....oh, just like that riding mower that's been sitting in your yard for as long as I've known you.  I tell him to dial 788-9122 and they'll come get that car from you

4 minutes ago, taylor1 said:

You know what they say William . One man's junk , is another man's treasure

Sometimes they don't know what they're talking about. Sometimes one man's junk is just junk.

2 hours ago, MikeB60 said:

But it does have fine Corinthian Leather!

Sorry to call you out on this Mike, but it is rich Corinthian Leather.  Just sayin'

My dad had one of those cars back in the mid to late 70's.  White on white interior.  Yes, that leather was awesome to me because it was the first time I had ever seen anything like it as a kid.   

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

Sorry to call you out on this Mike, but it is rich Corinthian Leather.  Just sayin'

My dad had one of those cars back in the mid to late 70's.  White on white interior.  Yes, that leather was awesome to me because it was the first time I had ever seen anything like it as a kid.   

Did the taillight fall out? Every one I saw more than a couple years old was missing the taillight, they were glued in, no fasteners.

Good looking cars for the time, but a bit underwhelming in the build quality and performance fields.

How to roll the R in print when saying "rrrich Corinthian leather" like Ricardo?

That car in the commercial is a later edition, the originals with round headlights look even more classic!

My brother bought its cousin a 1980 Dodge Mirada. I kinda really liked that car. Even though it was new and i didnt have a license, he’d let me drive it aline to the river and back (bout 20ish miles one way). I wouldn’t get my license until 1983, when I turned 15. 

16.5 with drivers Ed up here. Permit was 16 for car & bike so I gained some independence with that. At least up to the state line and before the sun fell from the sky. :dontknow:

On 2/19/2021 at 12:36 AM, roadscholar said:

Don’t believe I’ve posted this before, all the Petrolicious stuff is good but this one hits home.

I bought a 69 912 when I was 16. My first car.

• Like 1

Well..... The rest of the story..... I paid $700 for it, and it had one white front seat and one black. It was quite rusty - but I was just sure it would "buff right out". The architect who sold it had bought a new 912 - this would have been 1979. We were visiting family in Connecticut. I flew back a week or so later on a Friday to drive the car home, and I had little time to spare, as my school year at Culver Military Academy was starting the next week. The car broke down about 90 minutes into the trip, and I had it towed to the Porsche Dealer. They could fix it, but not till next week..... They got it running for me, and I nursed it back to my cousins and took a plane back to to start school. So the car sat in their driveway the rest of the year. Come spring, while I was still in school, they were quite tired of seeing my POS turd brown and rusty Porsche in their driveway and listed it for sale (unbeknownst to me). So I got a call that someone wanted to buy it, and having little choice at that point, I relented. Thus ends the story of my first Porsche, and my first car. :3:

• Like 2
10 hours ago, TEWKS said:

16.5 with drivers Ed up here. Permit was 16 for car & bike so I gained some independence with that. At least up to the state line and before the sun fell from the sky. :dontknow:

In La, it was 15, no need for driver's ed,....I ended up taking it a year after I got my license for the ins. discount.  I don't think they had permits either, least I never had one. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

Well..... The rest of the story..... I paid $700 for it, and it had one white front seat and one black. It was quite rusty - but I was just sure it would "buff right out". The architect who sold it had bought a new 912 - this would have been 1979. We were visiting family in Connecticut. I flew back a week or so later on a Friday to drive the car home, and I had little time to spare, as my school year at Culver Military Academy was starting the next week. The car broke down about 90 minutes into the trip, and I had it towed to the Porsche Dealer. They could fix it, but not till next week..... They got it running for me, and I nursed it back to my cousins and took a plane back to to start school. So the car sat in their driveway the rest of the year. Come spring, while I was still in school, they were quite tired of seeing my POS turd brown and rusty Porsche in their driveway and listed it for sale (unbeknownst to me). So I got a call that someone wanted to buy it, and having little choice at that point, I relented. Thus ends the story of my first Porsche, and my first car. :3:

11 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

Hmmmm....might you be practicing your story-telling in preparations for the FART contest?.......:lurk:

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, mickeym3 said:

Lest anyone mock the lowly Maverick…

EA444D0D-4D85-4530-8025-BDB4A0627408.jpeg

Slightly nicer than the one I sent flying. And by slightly, I mean substantially! Pretty sweet, for Maverick.