IGNORED

Cars..

roadscholar

1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

He pulled a Magoo! :classic_biggrin:

You know that a cartoon making fun of a disabled person would be quite politically incorrect today.  Mr. Magoo would never see the light of day.  So to speak.

• Haha 1

Probably not, most of them really. :spittake: And the Stooges, could you imagine how many blind kids would be walking around nowadays. :facepalm: 

It seems that the German gubment frowns upon high speed usage on one of their roads with no posted limit.  :dontknow:

Not a smart thing to do, but pretty cool.

• Like 2

When I was on one of them German fast roads (don’t remember where) (following our tour guide) I had my F-650 tapped out at about hundred miles per hour. (funny because it went on for a longtime) The big sedans (BMW / Mercedes) were going past us like we were standing still. They respectfully had headlights flashing to let us know they were coming up behind us. :thumbsup: That vid if real is in a different league for sure. :burnout:

• Like 1

24 Hours of Daytona is currently about 5 hours in (it doesn't get really interesting until night time anyway), it's on NBC and USA at varying times (check tvracer.com) and with continuous streaming on Peacock. But a fun thing to do (for me anyway : ) is go to IMSATV scroll down to the different manufacturers and watch the in car cameras, it can give a pretty good insight into endurance racing. May seem a little boring from the camera perspective, but it certainly isn't in reality.

https://www.imsa.com/tvlive/

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Barn find in his own barn :dopeslap:

I only tell this story because one, it popped up on my phone and two, I’ve told a couple fire department related stories today in other posts. Which they have absolutely nothing to do with this one. ;)

I had a 69 Mach 1 Mustang I bought off my school buddy’s mother. It needed a bunch of body work along with just about everything else. A rear quarter was the biggest hit but you could buy panels pretty cheap back in 85ish.

Anyway I had a local body guy that my brother knew work on the car in between jobs. He had it for about a year. Nice body work but he screwed the pooch on the paint job. I was pissed to say the least.

And another anyway, I say that a lot. :classic_biggrin: Back to the fire department connection. Yesterday we get a call for an elderly gent that fell and cracked his noggin open. It was the body guy that worked on my Mustang all those years prior! I wrapped his head up nicely and put some sticky tape across his eyebrows. 

No I didn’t do that. :spittake: Funny seeing him after all those years.

PS… he painted it white and I bought the 302 Boss stripe kit that he put on. It looked just like the car in the link.

• Like 1

Cool story Pat, seems like the older you get the smaller the world is.. That Boss 302 story reminds of a similar one that happened to a friend awhile back (I've probably told it before). In the 80's there was a small group of us trying to find the earliest Porsche Speedsters we could. There were just 200 made the first year in 1954, I had number 50 and my buddy Bob had one he was vintage racing that had come from a junk yard and had a couple different numbers so was two wrecked cars welded together. We (mostly Bob and another guy) found number 3 and number 2 but that was it. 6 or 7 years later Bob knew a guy that was going to the factory and asked him if he'd research the Kardex (how Porsche kept records of every car). It turned out his car was a '53 Cabriolet that was taken off the assembly line and built into the prototype Speedster #1. He sold it a few years later for about 5 times the going market at the time.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Yeah saw that, bummer but they know how to make more..

In other news, sadly P.J. O'Rourke passed away on Tuesday at 74, always enjoyed his articles when he wrote for Car and Driver, a true character. He also wrote for Rolling Stone and was editor at National Lampoon.

https://quillette.com/2022/02/16/pj-orourke-a-tribute/

And a re-print of a story he wrote in 1980. :grin:  (keep in mind it was 42 years ago).

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a15142347/ferrari-reinvents-manifest-destiny-pj-orourke-and-a-ferrari-308gts-archived-feature/    

Yeah, I just saw yesterday that PJ O'Rourke had died, I hadn't heard, made me sad, the man was a great writer, just funny and entertaining as hell.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
roadscholar

F1 has completely revamped the cars for this year, this is a good summary. Watch on Youtube at bottom.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
roadscholar

Fasten your seatbelts we have a new winner, and not by a little. Previously the most expensive car sold (of public knowledge) was a 1962 Ferrari GTO for $70M. Coincidently I was at my buddy Bill Warner's office yesterday (founder/CEO of Amelia Island Concours and longtime photographer/contributor for Road and Track) who told me the news. He also showed me a big b and w photo of him sitting in that car in 1962 when he was 17, it seems the factory had sent it to Jacksonville on it's way to Daytona to give PR rides at the Speedway. He just happened to see it parked near the docks downtown, opened the gullwing door, sat on the sill and a buddy took his picture : ) There were just 2 SLR coupes made (the rest were open) the museum is keeping the other one.

https://www.hagerty.com/media/market-trends/hagerty-insider/rumor-mercedes-benz-silver-arrow-sold-for-record-142-million/?hashed_email=dc32575c7a08a2fc1b9404d828882e55140e3285ace9f4d07124f53b1ae72354

Potential-record-Mercedes-Benz-Silver-Arrow-_JL81472-scaled.jpg?auto=format%2Ccompress&fit=crop&ixlib=php-3.3.0&max-h=427&max-w=640

• Like 4

Can't believe I did not receive an invitation. Oh Well   Guess I'll have to stay content with my vintage Ford Pinto

• Haha 1

Well, If I could afford to pay that much for a classic car, I am dang sure gonna drive it!  Suck it, haters!!

• Like 1
John Ranalletta
39 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

Bad day at the office for this guy...20220514_145752.thumb.jpg.64b7f868a017a0defdbb19338a4403d5.jpg

20220514_150011.thumb.jpg.15ed54435c3fe09284dbb7b52ab3a744.jpg

20220514_145926.thumb.jpg.b6edb71e6bb12921bb8a4adf6d4d2eae.jpg

I dunno.  Looks like it might have been a fun day at a demolition derby. It's only sheet metal. It'll rub out before the weekend.

• Like 1

He was pretty depressed, He said it stepped out on him. He was using track tires (and still had an unused set on the trailer). I tried to cheer him up, saying I'd seen worse and at least he could drive it home.

This was around hurricane, WV and home was Washington, DC. He had a cute girlfriend with a pit crew shirt.

roadscholar

Looks like the armco monster got him. Many good and sometimes hard lessons to be learned when you’re young and racing. I did more damage to cars getting them on and off the trailer than on track and consider myself fortunate and extremely lucky : )

• Smile 1

I was thinking the same, it could have been much worse. Driving to the track and expecting to drive home in the same car is optimistic thinking. It worked out for him.

• Like 1

The old adage is you don’t track a car you can’t afford to walk away from. Guy we use to track with lost a very nice M3 when he unexpectedly did an early apex at turn 12 at Road Atlanta….he never tracked again even though he showed a lot of potential.  The young guy in the Miata can hopefully throw on some junkyard panels and then have him a dedicated track car. I’ve always said doing track events is absolutely the most fun you can have with clothes on. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mickeym3 said:

The young guy in the Miata can hopefully throw on some junkyard panels and then have him a dedicated track car.

Honda S2000.  Rarer animal, parts will be more of a challenge.

• Like 2

The only time I didn't drive home (when tracking my BMW) was when I threw a water pump belt. I had been using a smaller pulley to increase circulation, so it took an unusual size belt. This was Thursday night Late Apex club I belonged, and we used off peak track time. There was a very large go-kart series holding races there Fri - Sun. This was at Putnam Park, almost 2 hours from where I lived. One guy gave me a ride back to Indianapolis, and a friend picked me up there. I rented a trailer the next day, but couldn't get back to the track until Friday evening. The track security gaurd wouldn't let me in. Rather than drive home and turn around again early in the morning, I opted to park outside the gate and sleep. He didn't like that idea, so he called the track owner who let me come in and load up the car.

And yes @roadscholari I did damage my front spoiler loading up.

• 2 weeks later...
roadscholar

Today was an eye opener, one of our CADS guys Buck who’d moved to Asheville last summer was back in town for work and wanted to see if we could find some sand to try his new truck on. We sort of succeeded. Some may remember Buck had a Zero motorcycle he used to ride off-road with us, what we didn’t know was that 3 years ago he’d ordered an electric pickup truck, it came in a couple weeks ago. 

D0399993-5860-422B-921C-E9F2919F2757.thumb.jpeg.eff84feb90f67882cdcebaaeb53b6ae4.jpeg

88AA777F-C0AF-449A-978E-67382F7896ED.thumb.jpeg.ade6d51085e0770dd5d3d6067f452ae1.jpeg

2FBE3EFA-D1F5-421C-A85D-D9E596F6A116.thumb.jpeg.03e08bdbdb2ffec21743adda742de577.jpeg

A few takeaways: We drove from Jax to St. Augustine w/o using the brakes, not once : ) it has a very tight turning radius like a Mercedes which to me is a sign of good engineering. If you go for a ride in anything similar try to prepare yourself mentally for the G forces accelerating from a standing start, it’s brutal and actually a little painful the first 100 yards or so. When we got back to the meeting Buck gave some of the guys rides, the one in front had his flip flops blown off, literally : )

it can raise or lower itself 5.5 inches from sportscar type handling in the mountains to off-road clearance on a rock garden. It’s well built and goes down the interstate at 90/100 like a big Mercedes SUV. We did a u-turn on a dirt road, Buck punched it and it just kind of plowed straight ahead then he hit a button on the screen and tried again, it went completely sideways and he almost didn’t catch it. I said WTH was that, he goes drift mode : )

55D167E5-4A47-4A94-AEAB-EB2B08C473B6.thumb.jpeg.c03fd758029d08f640016263ddc45e6e.jpeg

B1AAEBCA-D486-4E9D-8846-D716BCA4CFD2.thumb.jpeg.5eaf30450592141723a874d3e26f6fcc.jpeg

• Like 1
roadscholar

The interior is very nice with a pastel olive green and nice wood inlay on the dash. Told him I wanted to see the motor..

IMG_8441.thumb.JPG.3b3a912c8ef62e2538d1ce58a32d4287.JPG

Couple of Buck's pics.

AM-JKLU6dXEwoY9S2OzFmhjKC8rZabLQh3xjUh_MAR2DJs2NRGGX072tJwtsexCLM4OuaoPaGQWyVOF4qL2cFLujKClAQPFdoe8mkDx2_97Ye2Q6iq5H3I245DP-GuPclmGWjmyO18kuaHGhtvm__JN2LQr3xw=w493-h657-no?authuser=0

AM-JKLUCUKOntSLExZtpzLhX0pT-VXFtb0sUcBctlNjiw5BTcg4W7ChA5gKcGsuuCcUap1DMzln-O0wHOJX1Ct54Y4NtdtJQ1dJiPO8RYrvFWSAvdW_Q2WiRgyc8n24PPiZCp7y4drStwbKH2OkXBeVGvUVw0Q=w876-h657-no?authuser=0

IMG_8436.thumb.JPG.393cf6d320b6f03d93138f1cd4dbf59b.JPG

• Like 3