IGNORED

Youtube videos worth watching

AnotherLee

1 hour ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

All bark, no bite:

(turn the volume up, you can hear the German Shepherd staking his claim...)

We had a Rottie and a Chihuahua.

I taught the rottie to allow the chihuahua to eat first.

Rottie would sit there until the little dog got it's fill and then would move in to devour any remaining food.

They had separate food, but the little dog never would finish it all.

After we got rid of the little dog, The rottie would wait until I put her food in her bowl and then said "eat".  She'd sit as long as I would let her.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Now that pretty much everybody has a camera with them at all times, it's becoming increasingly common to record contacts with the police.  When things don't go smoothly these videos often end up on YouTube.  The Audit The Audit channel reviews such videos, providing play-by-play commentary on who's in the wrong (sometimes it's the police, sometimes it's the civilian), citing relevant case law along the way.  In many of these cases the civilian is a self-appointed "auditor" who is making it a point to assert their constitutional rights.  Some folks regard these types of people as a public nuisance, but I'm glad someone is out there pushing back on police who might otherwise oversteps their bounds, whether through ignorance or arrogance.

This guy's not an auditor, but the cops were definitely jackasses and now there's a lawsuit pending:

OTOH, this guy definitely is an auditor:

Helpful hint: sometimes I watch videos like this at 1.5X normal speed.  You can still understand what's being said, but it crams the info into your brain in 2/3 the time.  

Joe Frickin' Friday

Time-lapse: 30 days at sea aboard a container ship speeds by in ten minutes.  It's more engrossing than you might think.  The scenery is beautiful, and there are several port stops to unload containers along the way.

Lots of other interesting videos on his channel too.

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday

If a Saddlesore 1000 is a thousand miles in 24 hours, what do you call 80 miles in 20 days?  Here's Helge Pedersen recounting his crossing of the Darien Gap on his way north through the Americas.

RandyShields
15 hours ago, Skywagon said:

I watched it....can't say that after seeing this video it will go on my bucket list.  Sounds pretty miserable.

I'm with Skywagon.  No interest.  After a recent hip replacement, I had the benefit during recovery of watching (and reviewing) over 25 motorcycle-focused films and DVDs that I sent around to a few friends.  A number of the films were Helge's Globe Riders trips, which are longish rides to, shall we say, more exotic locales that most of us normally travel.  (His hair is a bit shorter and more gray in these!)  Here is my review of several of them.  I found the riding in general to not appear to be much fun, and the living conditions in most places, challenging. 

Globe Riders 

These are a series of DVDs filmed by Sterling Noren with his riding buddy, Helge Pederson, the intrepid round-the-world rider (author of 10 Years on 2 Wheels, the chronicle of his 250,000 mile trip).  Helge put together expeditions of riders to remote places in the world.  The Iceland video was just him and one riding friend, but the others were larger groups.  Again, the scenery was fantastic, but what really jumped out at me from these films (listed below) are the education one gets about the lives and cultures of the very friendly and curious people in some of the most distant parts of the world.  These are not turnkey Edelweiss rides in Europe, but much more remote, longer expeditions where the riders need to ship their own bikes to the other side of the planet to start.  In each of these films, the city riding was a bit scary, and there were some tough off-road sections, but mainly these films are about the people, not the riding.  And while there didn’t seem to be any real danger from the people or authorities, there were a number of crashes, including some serious ones on the Eurasion ride.  I was really pleased to have a chance to watch and learn from these videos, as I don’t expect to ever do one of these rides.  My rating: 3 of 5 stars.  Available on DVD.

• Iceland.  2006. 30 days; 3,000 miles. Fiords; lava fields; geysers and hot springs.
  • Silk Road Adventure.  2007. 53 days; 8,000 miles (4 hours of video). Turkey; many of the newly independent Stan countries; ending in Zian, China.
  • Indochina. 2008. 71 days; 8,000 miles.  Vietnam (really friendly people); Laos; Cambodia; Thailand; Malaysia.  Very exotic locations.
  • Eurasian Odyssey. 2009. 65 days; 11,000 miles.  China; the Great Wall; Siberia (8 time zones!); Ukraine; Poland; ending at the BMW museum in Munich, Germany, where he got to visit R80 GS which took him on his round the world trip.

If you have the time and interest in these kinds of adventures, the upcoming trips may interest you!

• 2021.  The Himalayas.  60 days through China, Tibet, Nepal, India, Bhutan, Myanmar and Thailand
  • 2022. World Tour.  70 days.  Japan, Russia, Mongolia, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan,  Azerbaijan, Georgia, Turkey, Greece, Albania, Montenegro, Bosnia, Croatia, Slovenia, Austria, Germany.
  • 2023.  South Africa to the Middle East.  63 days.  South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania, Kenya, Ethiopia, Sudan, Egypt.

Those two Honda comparisons was fun and interesting.  When I was in high school I bought a used 1971 or 2 (cant remember) Honda CL 350.  The one with the pipes up the side.  Man was I cool on that bike riding down the freeway in shorts, tee shirt, and flip flops.  It made me wonder if this forum was available back then what would the discussion be about that bike  I used Havoline 30W oil.  I think it was about 40cents a quart.  I changed it occasionally but not often.  Tires lasted forever, I never burned out a bulb, I think the brakes were all cable so no fluid changes, the seat was comfy as I remember it, speed worked, no gas gauge to break, I changed the spark plugs once in the 25,000 miles I had it, and I'm pretty sure there were no aftermarket parts.

It was a real simple bike.  When the battery would die, and I was broke, I would just kick start it and ride it anyway....no electronics.  I only had one repair but it was kind of a biggie.  I did it my self because I was too broke to take it to the Honda shop.  I was riding down the freeway in winter.  All of a sudden it lost most of it's power and some oil hit my leg.  I nursed it home.  I talked to a mc mechanic and he said probably holed a piston.  It was somewhat common if you didn't get the rubber hose connected to the intake of the carb on correctly or it developed a hole...in my case a hole.  It worked like an torch sucking cold air into the hot cylinder.  

The engine had to come out if the frame.  I borrowed some metric tools because I didn't have any.  It took me about 2 hours to get the engine out.  I tore it down and replaced the piston and rings, and honed the cylinder with a drill and hone on one of those old wobbly 3 disk things.  I put it all back together and it wouldn't start.  Turned out you actually have to put the cam chain on correctly to time it.  I had to get help on that.  The whole job took about a full saturday.  The new piston and rings cost me $11 which I had to borrow from my mom.  I think I might still owe her that.  I wonder what the interest penalty would be from 1973.

I loved that bike.  I sold it in college because I needed the money.  The guy who bought it rode it from Austin to Minnesota.

honda.jpg

Circa 1973v3-1.jpg

• Like 1
RandyShields
17 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

....and he is pretty funny, too.

Agree; he is a natural in front of the camera.  I don't always agree with his analyses, though.  In his recent video on inflatable vests, he concludes that, despite the clear safety benefits, riders do not wear them because they want to take the risk.  Respectfully disagree.  I think the majority of riders don't wear them either because of cost or comfort.  I got rid of my Helite, for example, because it pushed my neck and helmet forward to the point of major aches and discomfort.  Many others don't like the airflow of the extra layer.  

• Like 2
Joe Frickin' Friday
On 3/2/2021 at 9:13 AM, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

"You damn kids get off my lawn!"

I sent this video to my sister, and she said "I liken the otters to dumb teenagers, not recognizing the danger of their continued harassment/curiosity and then yep, that orangutan is the old man, shaking his cane at them."

I said "I think the otters are the smart teenagers, appropriately wary of the limits.  The monkey in this video is the dumb teenager (his buddy in the background probably triple-dog dared him):

RandyShields

Re "Best Manufacturer" based on crap in the initial oil change -- what a fantastic video!!  Thanks for sharing.

roadscholar
On 3/17/2021 at 10:28 PM, ESokoloff said:

Im sorry to report that Sabine passed from cancer yesterday (Link)

Far too soon, thanks Eric I hadn't heard. I've watched several of her videos, a great talent, effervescent personality and like somebody else said, one of a kind. From Chris Harris' twitter..

Rest in peace you wonderful, powerful, hilarious person.

John Ranalletta

The Car Wizard chases down a battery drain issue. It's in a car, but the technique and tools can be used on a m/c.

• Like 1
John Ranalletta

How tall do you have to be to ride on this?  In early 80s, catching crews would catch & cage chickens by hand.  Great cardio workout.

• 2 weeks later...
RandyShields
On 4/1/2021 at 3:25 PM, wbw6cos said:

Classic.  That reminded me of this:

Very funny.  Loved that show.  And like most male adolescents of the day, was in lust with Bailey.  Not so much Loni Anderson.  Kind of a Maryann vs. Ginger thing.

• Like 1
On 4/4/2021 at 11:41 AM, AnotherLee said:

Warning: don't watch this on a full stomach!  Disgusting!

My father’s lifelong friend John “Sonny” Dec (a Camel smoking Schlitz beer drinking Korean War Vet) did one better. I was always tagging along on jobs they had. This one was a backed up toilet and they chased it all the way to the tank. I forget what was blocking the pipe but Sonny jumped in the tank, chest deep in shit! :classic_ohmy: I got to hose him down after the deed which may have set the seed. ;) No way I was going into plumbing after that! :D

• Like 1
On 4/4/2021 at 11:41 AM, AnotherLee said:

Warning: don't watch this on a full stomach!  Disgusting!

Haha, not bad.......there's a "river" right outside of what was the U. S. Navy Base Subic Bay called "shit river", you figure out where the name comes from,.....it was fitting.  Anyway, Filipino kids would hang out at the river 'cause 'Merican's would throw Peso's in the river from Magsaysay bridge and watch the kids dive for them.......drunk humor.

26 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

My father’s lifelong friend John “Sonny” Dec (a Camel smoking Schlitz beer drinking Korean War Vet) did one better. I was always tagging along on jobs they had. This one was a backed up toilet and they chased it all the way to the tank. I forget what was blocking the pipe but Sonny jumped in the tank, chest deep in shit! :classic_ohmy: I got to hose him down after the deed which may have set the seed. ;) No way I was going into plumbing after that! :D

Growing up, heavy rains, sewer ditches would fill, sewer stayed at bottom, so, ya, we kinda swam in them mini rivers.

• Like 1

Richard what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger is the saying, I believe. :dontknow: Oh yeah, Sonny was a Marine btw. I guess Marines aren’t afraid of a little shit! :classic_biggrin:

• Smile 1
14 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Lightsaber anyone?

:P thbbpt
Not much more then a cutting torch on steroids.  

Somebody needs to figure out how to merge that with this......

fourteenfour

Well if we have a zombie apocalypse I know some recruits (the young girl at the 2:10 mark is noteworthy)

• Like 1
11 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Bacon!!! :yes:

I didn't think they had video when you were a kid Pat :18:  Glad your parents got this of you.

• Haha 1