IGNORED

Youtube videos worth watching

AnotherLee

Joe Frickin' Friday
On Tuesday last week, the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds teamed up for a flyover of New York City as a salute to all the health care workers who have been slogging it out for the past couple of months.  Masako and I watched some live-stream footage as it happened, but it seemed like none of the news stations had their cameras positioned very well; the planes were always tiny and very, very far away.  

But now footage captured by the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds themselves has been compiled into a slick video that's worth watching.  Here you go:

It's all ground work at first; the planes don't start taking off until 2:20, and the actual Manhattan flyover action starts at 3:25.  Interesting to see what the pilots in each team watch: the lead watches where he's going, and everyone else watches the lead.  You can also hear at 4:25 how busy they are managing thrust to maintain the correct following distance.  Tough job.  

Was surprised to learn that this flight started and ended in Florida, requiring mid-air refueling along the way (shown at 12:14).
  • Like 2

This was sent to me from a friend.  I dismissed it for a couple of weeks thinking I would never watch it.  I did watch it and really liked it.  It's like any youtube video, starts with commercials and there is usually one in the center somewhere but you can skip them.  This kid is pretty gutsy. 

Joe Frickin' Friday

Just a bear taking a bath:

And for good measure, here's a flashback to the flashdance gorilla:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
roadscholar

Two, painfully slow compared to a lot of races or video games but what it's like working thru a field of underpowered cars in an underpowered car, Spec Racer means they're all the same, pretty much. Your only assets are momentum,  braking, and drafting. And psychology : ) although I'll say it is easier (not to mention more fun) to be the stalker than the prey. The back half of the field is usually a cakewalk, those guys are just driving around having fun, the front half and especially the top ten or five not so much, they're up there for a reason.

• Like 2

Hey he's ^ going the wrong way! :grin: That looked fun. My only but similar experience was racing Matt S up at F-1 Boston. You had no power advantage, just traffic and late braking were your tools. So much fun, I should of been a race car driver. :grin:

roadscholar
6 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Hey he's ^ going the wrong way! :grin: That looked fun. My only but similar experience was racing Matt S up at F-1 Boston. You had no power advantage, just traffic and late braking were your tools. So much fun, I should of been a race car driver. :grin:

Most likely : ) And momentum, in a slow car only brake when it's absolutely necessary.

He was on the edge and caught it a few times but knew what he had to do. It just takes practice (experience) and usually some natural ability, i.e. hand-eye coordination, spatial awareness, risk-taking (calculated), and maybe a little killer instinct : )

• Like 1
roadscholar

I restored several Speedsters in the 70’s and 80’s when a lot of the parts were available but (most) were structurally sound. What these guys are doing wasn’t possible then because of the technology or at least feasible because the cars were only worth a fraction of what they are now.

• Like 1
roadscholar

A little more introspection into what it's like racing a 55 y/o econobox on steroids with all of 1300cc's.

• Like 1
AnotherLee

A song so good you don't want it to end. I bet this one will put a smile on your face.

Just in case you’ve never seen the Justin Timberlake/Chris Stapleton CMA performance, it’ll get you going. 

• 2 weeks later...
Joe Frickin' Friday

My new lawn mower is battery-powered, and it's really quiet:

I used to wear ear plugs whenever I mowed the lawn, but now I don't have to.  Plus, no more breathing engine exhaust while I mow.  :cool:

1 hour ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

My new lawn mower is battery-powered, and it's really quiet:

I used to wear ear plugs whenever I mowed the lawn, but now I don't have to.  Plus, no more breathing engine exhaust while I mow.  :cool:

Ya, but can it cut 4+ acres on a single charge?

In the early 80's, I borrowed a plug in lawn mower, very quiet.  Luckily, the yard was small so didn't need that much cord and I was also concerned about, in my haste, of running over the cord.

They've come a long way.....but really, really soon, I should be getting me:

John Deere 1025r! Updated & Redesigned! The Most Popular Tractor ...

It's rated at about 95db, so, I'll still wear my 3M Worktunes (awesome by the way). 

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

Ya, but can it cut 4+ acres on a single charge?

Specs say it'll do 0.4 acres with the 7.5 A-h battery pack I got.  So no, won't do it, but then I wouldn't be trying to mow 4 acres with a gas-powered walk-behind mower either.  

Battery-powered riding mowers are out there.  A quick search turned up this review page, with some riding e-mowers that can do 2 acres.  If you gotta cover four acres, then yep, I guess you're gonna need gas, unless you want to do a battery swap halfway through.  

1 hour ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Specs say it'll do 0.4 acres with the 7.5 A-h battery pack I got.  So no, won't do it, but then I wouldn't be trying to mow 4 acres with a gas-powered walk-behind mower either.  

Battery-powered riding mowers are out there.  A quick search turned up this review page, with some riding e-mowers that can do 2 acres.  If you gotta cover four acres, then yep, I guess you're gonna need gas, unless you want to do a battery swap halfway through.  

Hehe,....my John Deere 318 decided to hiccup one day when I started cutting, got a couple of swipes in, then rider just died.  This was before I purchased the 1.7 acre lot next to us,.....so, I pulled out the John Deere JS30 and had a nice walk.

My previous house was 3.5 miles of push mowing,.....I dunno what this one would be behind a push mower.

All in all, I have two properties, my house and the daughters......which brings me to four acres of cutting.  I did them both on the rider in one day, that was 5.5 hours of riding, then the tank hit the reserve,.......too many obstacles to go around/maneuver.  An ideal yard would be zero obstacles and round.

I've seen an electric rider once,.....just once,.....not my bag, but, if the technology makes it to be able to do all I'm looking to do, it may be.

I gotta call the Deere dealership today to arrange for them to configure the 1025r that I want.

RandyShields

This thread brings back some not so pleasant memories.  A while back, in an effort to earn lifetime points from my wife, we sold our house in the Charlotte suburbs and moved to a small (7 acres) farm further outside town so she could keep her horses on the property.  It had a basic little farmhouse, a very nice 4-stall barn, 4-5 gated pastures and, oh yeah, a John Deere subcompact tractor with a 54" cutting blade.  I was not very hip to the whole Green Acres idea, which was further validated by my longer commute to work and having to spend so much time tending to the property vs. golfing.  Even with the excellent John Deere tractor, it took 4-5 hours every week or two (depending on growth) to mow the 5 acres of lawn and pastures (my guestimate, after subtracting acreage for the house, barn, driveways and riding arena).  And as anyone who has ever owned or worked a farm knows, something was always breaking and needed repair.  Electric mowing would not have been an option (even though it didn't really exist then).  Happiest day of my life was when the wife, missing her barn friends and having to muck too many stalls, suggested we look for a house back in the burbs.  And yeah, the John Deere went with the farm when we finally sold it.  

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, RandyShields said:

This thread brings back some not so pleasant memories.  A while back, in an effort to earn lifetime points from my wife, we sold our house in the Charlotte suburbs and moved to a small (7 acres) farm further outside town so she could keep her horses on the property.  It had a basic little farmhouse, a very nice 4-stall barn, 4-5 gated pastures and, oh yeah, a John Deere subcompact tractor with a 54" cutting blade.  I was not very hip to the whole Green Acres idea, which was further validated by my longer commute to work and having to spend so much time tending to the property vs. golfing.  Even with the excellent John Deere tractor, it took 4-5 hours every week or two (depending on growth) to mow the 5 acres of lawn and pastures (my guestimate, after subtracting acreage for the house, barn, driveways and riding arena).  And as anyone who has ever owned or worked a farm knows, something was always breaking and needed repair.  Electric mowing would not have been an option (even though it didn't really exist then).  Happiest day of my life was when the wife, missing her barn friends and having to muck too many stalls, suggested we look for a house back in the burbs.  And yeah, the John Deere went with the farm when we finally sold it.  

I've got seven acres between the two properties, but only need to cut about 4.  The horses and their owners take care of the pastures, although I do spray weed and feed.  We did just talk to the individual yesterday that purchased the 300 or so acres next to us last year about buying up a strip of three acres to keep the woodline in tact (he'll eventually log the area).  He's not opposed to selling it, so that's a good sign, we'll end up with just over ten acres if he does sell it to us, but no intention of doing anything except leaving it as a woodline buffer.

The yardwork, meh, it's all good, it's what the wife and I enjoy together.  We don't get alot of breakage to maintain, just continuing to set the place up like we like (house was built in 1980).  Moving out here added 30 minutes to my commute, bringing it to a hour one way, and I'm good with that, it's what I call "my time",.....just like sitting on the rider "my time" to be with me and my thoughts........as far as golf, played one round in my life, didn't see the appeal, I'd rather lift heavy things;)

• Like 2

Lived on 16 1/2 acres With about 5 of it pasture. Had a Kubota 4wd diesel with 6’ bush hog. The land was settled by Italians back in the day and had been a vineyard at one time. Roughest damn mowing I ever did. Got tired of spending my weekends mowing and weed eating. Father in law’s health went south so wife “preferred” moving back to town for us to assist him. I’m glad we did. Left time for more riding

• Like 2

I've got two motorcycles and a boat, I couldn't care less about the yard. I cut it when the dog lies in it and I can't see her. She's an 80 pound yellow lab.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Rinkydink said:

weed eating.

Nope,.....don't do that,.....round-up:18:

John Ranalletta

This is one of my favorite YT series.  This guy is innovative and well spoken.  The rebuild of this ancient bandsaw is spellbinding.  This video is a collection of clips.  His channel has 3-4 long form videos on the build.  Also, check out his go cart monster belt sander.

Joe Frickin' Friday

This guy makes...unusual pianos.  He gives a brief demonstration of a few of them in this video.  The most noteworthy one appears at 2:48, a 15-foot upright concert grand piano (for reference, a conventional concert grand piano is under 10' long).   

According to Wikipedia:

All else being equal, longer pianos with longer strings have larger, richer sound and lower inharmonicity of the strings. Inharmonicity is the degree to which the frequencies of overtones (known as partials or harmonics) sound sharp relative to whole multiples of the fundamental frequency. This results from the piano's considerable string stiffness; as a struck string decays its harmonics vibrate, not from their termination, but from a point very slightly toward the center (or more flexible part) of the string. The higher the partial, the further sharp it runs. Pianos with shorter and thicker string (i.e., small pianos with short string scales) have more inharmonicity. The greater the inharmonicity, the more the ear perceives it as harshness of tone.

In other words, the longer the string, the better it sounds.  Very large pianos are kind of inconvenient and expensive - but if you listen to that monster piano at 2:48, wow, what a sound (best heard through good headphones):

• 3 weeks later...

This could be questionable if pushes the no politics rule, but I don’t think so. :dontknow:

I had to smile when seeing this guy’s so cool reaction to a skateboard punk’s attempted assault. :grin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
Joe Frickin' Friday
48 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

This could be questionable if pushes the no politics rule, but I don’t think so. :dontknow:

I had to smile when seeing this guy’s so cool reaction to a skateboard punk’s attempted assault. :grin:

Impressed with the big guy's ability to read the punk's intentions and get his hand in exactly the right spot at the right time.  Less impressed with the target, who seemed completely unaware of the incoming fist.  :grin:

Here's a good primer on N95 masks and how they work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
chrisolson

Its not necessarily a video ... but in the midst of all the stupid stuff going on today... lets go back 40 years and enjoy some really stupid jokes that are still funny today ... !!!! 

A true classic .... AIRPLANE !  Your really should view the whole movie if you can find it  ... 

• Haha 2
Bill_Walker
On 6/27/2020 at 9:36 AM, eddd said:

What an amazing vehicle!  And the clearly has some mad skills, especially in recovering and avoiding tumbling back down the hill (though I did see him roll it one turn in the 4+ minutes I watched).

Joe Frickin' Friday

Bardcore metal.  If you didn't know any better, you'd swear it was originally written in the middle ages and later adapted by Metallica.

The viewer comments are great.  :grin:

Maybe a little on the long side for an animated flight video.  :dontknow:  This guy was put into a situation of being the difference between life or death for his family. I thought it was pretty intense!   :clap:

• Like 1

Barn Find!

And see these cars at auction: 

Edited by AnotherLee
  • Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday

"Daily Dose of Internet" is a good channel.  New video about once a week, just a fun compendium of short, interesting clips.  Here's this week's entry:

Normally I wouldn't post a 40-min video but IMHO this is too good not to share. For instance, what would you say if a policeman asks you if you know how fast you were travelling? Heh...

• Thanks 1
On 7/10/2020 at 5:14 PM, TEWKS said:

aybe a little on the long side for an animated flight video

Thanks Tewks... that is one of the best aviation video's I've ever seen.  Pretty amazing as a low time pilot he was able to get a King Air 200 on the ground with low SEL training.

• Like 1

David, thinking back I could slightly relate to his situation. (slightly) I told this story many times (sorry) of my flight training days in the mid eighties. The school had Grumman AA1b trainers and at that point in time I had about five hours of solo flight.

A contractor in town that I occasionally worked for owned a Cherokee six that he flew out of the same airport. He asked if I wanted to fly with him one day (duh) so we took his six up for about an hour. He let me have the controls on an approach and I could not believe, how big the nose looked, how fast we were approaching and how small the runway looked. :eek:

I handed the yoke back at five hundred feet! :grin:

Tewks...thats funny...The Cherokee 6 probably has the longest nose in the SEL fleet.  I delivered one one time from San Francisco to a guy in Cabo San Lucas. I probably had 3-4000 hours at the time and thought the same thing, only I was solo and nobody to say youve got the controls to.  Those planes are heavy and relatively slow, but they sure ride nice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
John Ranalletta

Monarch to Marshall Pass via the Colorado Continental Divide Trail - BlancoLirio

I am really impressed with the Rally Raid CB 500x Hondas