IGNORED

Youtube videos worth watching

AnotherLee

John Ranalletta
2 hours ago, ESokoloff said:

Renewable energy has many great challenges ahead of it but understand that this organization has an addenda to see it fail https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PragerU

It does.  Every opinion has its originator's philosophies imbedded therein.   "Great challenges" require great expenditures, more subsidies and more debt; and, we're bankrupt; so, I'd suggest we stay the course, i.e. cheap oil and gas, until we can afford the LUXURY of and avoid the downside aspects of renewables.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

It does.  Every opinion has its originator's philosophies imbedded therein.   "Great challenges" require great expenditures, more subsidies and more debt; and, we're bankrupt; so, I'd suggest we stay the course, i.e. cheap oil and gas, until we can afford the LUXURY of and avoid the downside aspects of renewables.

John, this is not the appropriate venue to continue discussion on Energy sources.

I created an Energy topic in Full Throttle. 

Joe Frickin' Friday
On 10/21/2020 at 3:21 PM, AnotherLee said:

Remember trying coffee for the first time?

I've watched a bunch of Reactistan videos over the past month or two.  They keep adding new ones every week or two.  Here's a couple of good ones.  First, they try Subway sandwiches:

I knew Subway had grown like a weed over the past few decades, but had no idea they had expanded all the way into Pakistan.  Go figure.  Fun to watch them try to make sense of a Subway sandwich in the context of foods with which they are more familiar. 

Here, they answer the most frequently Googled questions:

Some funny answers, but some pretty humanizing ones too.  Mustafa (the old guy) is great; he's developed such a fan base that you can actually buy merchandise.

On 10/23/2020 at 7:35 PM, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

This might not buff out:

Man, that is a serious routing error by somebody at the railroad!  You would think car heights and bridge clearances would be well known and well checked!

Joe Frickin' Friday

A collection of dangerous firewood-cutting machines.  The second one (starting at 1:48) is absolutely insane; I wonder if the operator is still alive.  He gets bonus points for his safety-minded selection of footwear (Crocs).

4 hours ago, fourteenfour said:

If you are a fan of WW2 history then Mark Felton's videos will keep you watching for hours if not days

Fascinating.  Need to explore more of these.  Thanks.

On 10/24/2020 at 1:57 PM, roadscholar said:

Great and informative video.  I love this stuff!  Thanks.  Yes, the plane was a behemoth and couldn't do well in a turning fight, but it was fast and tough, had unbelievable guns that could rip apart whatever they were shooting at, and protected its loyal pilots.  There are actually two clips in the video showing the most famous WWII ace who flew this plane -- Francis "Gabby" Grabeski, the son of Polish American immigrants who notched 28 kills of more nimble German fighters with his P-47 Jug.  All this after he was told he had no aptitude for flying while in flight school.  Thank goodness, some motivated members of the greatest generation like Gabreski focused on their mission and didn't listen to naysayers.  Oh, and he also went on to shoot down 4+ more planes in Korea.  

• Like 2
On 10/28/2020 at 9:00 AM, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

A collection of dangerous firewood-cutting machines.

Wonderful demonstrations of why hydraulic log-splitters were invented.

Don't think I have posted anything by Warren - - the comments tell it all on this episode. He's an amazing mechanic.  Best part is about 14:30-15:30 or so, where he finds why this machine keeps burning out compressors. It's a custom-made strawberry picker (one of 3) for a big farm. Break down at harvest - lots of $$$ involved. Pressure to get it fixed quick.

• Like 1

Keith Rucker with 182K subscribers continues to make a gear.

He's looking for a matching part. With 182K subs, suppose only 1% are interested. That makes 1820 people out there helping him find it.  In fact, the gear he is cutting was made from a part sent to him via this network.

John Ranalletta
8 minutes ago, AnotherLee said:

Keith Rucker with 182K subscribers continues to make a gear.

He's looking for a matching part. With 182K subs, suppose only 1% are interested. That makes 1820 people out there helping him find it.  In fact, the gear he is cutting was made from a part sent to him via this network.

Another very creative and innovative fellow.  This video is an overview of 4 or 5 videos on the vise build.  Big, tough, handsome gear.

• Like 1

re fuel stabilizers.  My Boise, ID BMW dealer emphatically recommended Startron over all others.  Evidently is was based on what the additive sales person told them rather than experience.

Joe Frickin' Friday
3 hours ago, Red said:

re fuel stabilizers.  My Boise, ID BMW dealer emphatically recommended Startron over all others.  Evidently is was based on what the additive sales person told them rather than experience.

I used stabilizer the first winter for my first bike, but never after that.  Never had a problem with spring start/run, and when I sold the bike ten years later, the engine was the healthiest part of the bike.  

Current bike is now 11+ years old and has never had stabilizer.  No issues.  I recommend saving your money.

I do not use stabilizer in the bike, but use non oxy fuel.

Seafoam though in my lawnmower, snowblower, and boat fuel, non oxy, much slower turnover rate.

I admit, I have not watched the video yet. Can anybody give a quick synopsis?

Stabilizers? I can tell you for a fact that Sta-bil cost my neighbor hundreds of dollars and much aggravation. Sta-bil WILL eat foam used in some fuel pump/anti-slosh applications. Kept ruining electric in tank fuel pumps. Guys at Aeromotive were called....and they asked if he was using fuel stabilizers.....

So, I have not used any stabilizers for years. 

I buy race fuel from the local race track. Race fuel doesn't deteriorate like regular pump fuel...but it is $10 gallon. In all my 2 cycle engines and some small 4 cycle engines as well as my Shelby. 

Hosstage was asking for a short version 'cause he didn't watch the vid. I like Ryan's videos and had seen it so I synopsized for him...........

I personally have had costly problems caused by Seafoam so I too use non-Eth for storage.

On 11/3/2020 at 1:26 PM, Hosstage said:

Why are people so stupid around trains?

It's so much that Waze has added the "approaching a railroad crossing" as a standard warning :classic_rolleyes:

Wow...had not seen that Draco accident before.  In this video he takes responsibility for pilot error.  I can tell at the 8:46 point what his most pronounced error was, but it seems at the time of this video he didn't understand the issue. He talks about once the wing started to lift he applied aileron.  Wrong....very wrong.  When you have crosswind before you start your roll you put in full aileron to the wind.  You control direction of a taildragger with rudder and brakes if necessary.  Proper procedure is stick all the way back, aileron full into the wind, slowly advance throttle to avoid torque, and start the roll.  As you increase speed you go stick forward to firmly plant the mains so you can't lift off until you are ready.  Slowly relax aileron as long as you can maintain control.  Many times you will be on one main wheel with wing low during the roll until you have flying speed and rotate.  Take a little more speed than normal to firmly lift off.  You don't want to bounce back if the wind gust suddenly slow.

Of course the error that he realizes he shouldn't have made was taking off in that weather.  Right above him was a storm.    He learned a valuable judgment lesson which cant really be taught.  

Glad they are ok, too bad for the plane, hope he will grab an instructor and go practice in the strongest cross winds he can find.  It is the hardest part of learning to fly.  Silly me I actually like them.  I liked taking off and landing on just one main and seeing how long I could hold it.  

• Like 1

^ I’m surprised he and the Discovery Channel never came together for a build show. Seems there’d be plenty of interesting material with designing & building planes, fast & slow flying, Oshkosh fly-ins etc. :dontknow:

John Ranalletta
11 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

^ I’m surprised he and the Discovery Channel never came together for a build show. Seems there’d be plenty of interesting material with designing & building planes, fast & slow flying, Oshkosh fly-ins etc. :dontknow:

Glad that didn't happen.  Discovery would have over-produced it with talking heads and cut-away shots.  

John Ranalletta
5 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Yes of course, with the way overdone drama added in. :5146: I see your point.

Mike Patey YouTube channel was voted best aviation channel at Aviation Content Creators Awards flyin this year.   

• Like 1

Not to mention every repair and build would take twice as long and cost twice as much due to the slow times of setting up camera shots and redoing things to shoot it with different angles.

The owner of FantomWorks said he lost a million dollars shooting his show for the few years he did it.

8 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

Not to mention every repair and build would take twice as long and cost twice as much due to the slow times of setting up camera shots and redoing things to shoot it with different angles.

The owner of FantomWorks said he lost a million dollars shooting his show for the few years he did it.

Possibly bad negotiation skills? :dontknow: I don’t actually know how the money flows in those dealings. Does the “fortune” only come as a result that the show’s fame may bring to your company? Meaning customers flock to...

The problem is that the shop owner is paying his employees, and certain tasks take a certain amount of time, a fair price to the owner of the vehicle being repaired. But, filming that task takes twice as long to do, so now the shop owner loses money because he cannot charge the customer twice as much, but still has to pay his employee twice as much. 

"TV Money" is not all that. The shop owner doesn't get paid a whole lot per episode until it is proven to be a successful show, and the original contract expires. Even then, TV money isn't all that.

As far as the increased business that comes from the exposure, the shop can only do so much every day as far as actual work, the margins don't change much. And a long term project, while ultimately makes good money, still needs to have much of the cost carried until complete. The money put forward by the customer to cover initial costs gets eaten up pretty quickly.

• Like 1
John Ranalletta
34 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

Got the feeling Mike Patey isn't worried about a bigger paycheck.

• Like 1

And if a shop owner is smart, he doesn't overextend himself building a bigger complex to accommodate all the new (temporary) surge in business (see Orange County Choppers...).

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

Got the feeling Mike Patey isn't worried about a bigger paycheck.

Nor does he want to deal with a camera crew saying "Hey, do that again, explain what you're doing, and then take it apart so we can shoot it one more time."

• Haha 1
John Ranalletta
49 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

More likely, he lost money when potential customers said to themselves, "Who wants to deal with that prick?"  I'd opt for Kindig any day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2