IGNORED

Youtube videos worth watching

AnotherLee

Joe Frickin' Friday

How the cops take care of things in Norway.  Probably should have called off the chase once they started whizzing by pedestrians in the park, but they kept it up and nobody got hurt...except maybe the perps.

Another insane moto chase in which, somehow, nobody died.  Yes, it really is a full 7+ minutes of insanity in which blind luck played a huge role in nobody getting hurt:

• Like 2

I went to high school with a guy that had a really good band then (also with Duane Allman he had a good band too : ) but had a career as an attorney. When he retired he started making and selling guitars, I wondered what all was involved in the process. Found this, it's an ad but gave me a pretty good idea.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Some years ago Masako and I were at an air show and walked under the wing of a parked 747.  The engine was windmilling slowly in the breeze, and it sounded awful - clankclankclunkclankclang...  Here's why.  (sorry, can't embed that video, just gotta click on the link.)

And here's what it sounded like (not my video):

19 hours ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Some years ago Masako and I were at an air show and walked under the wing of a parked 747.  The engine was windmilling slowly in the breeze, and it sounded awful - clankclankclunkclankclang...  Here's why.  (sorry, can't embed that video, just gotta click on the link.)

And here's what it sounded like (not my video):

Makes sense. If it were so tight as to act as a solid piece it could resonate. Being seperate, loose pieces would prevent that from happening. Wonder how many turbines were sacrificed to figure that out. Might also help with thermal stress.

Probably a good idea to not let passengers hear that while boarding.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2020 at 7:56 PM, roadscholar said:

This is longish at 11 minutes but pretty cool. Who says today's kids are nerdy : )

Crafty kid..but I think he trashed that nice paint job right at the very end of the vid. :facepalm: :grin:

3 hours ago, roadscholar said:

It was his buddy, he said he crashed it in another video..

Yeah, sometimes buddies do stupid $h!t like that, think it’s called “testing a friendship” :grin:

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Go Ironman:

Very cool.  I remember as a youngster seeing Captain Keds in one of the first jetpacks fly around the inside of Cleveland stadium back in the 1960s.  Those engines are very loud!  I can't help but think that there are some stability issues to get over with any of these ideas.  And just this week, a couple of pilots on approach to LAX reported seeing a guy in a jetpack.  At 3,000 feet!  What the heck happens when the guy runs out of fuel at that altitude??  No gliding in for a landing in one of these contraptions.

52 minutes ago, RandyShields said:

And just this week, a couple of pilots on approach to LAX reported seeing a guy in a jetpack.  At 3,000 feet!  What the heck happens when the guy runs out of fuel at that altitude??  No gliding in for a landing in one of these contraptions.

I just saw that this morning, first thought was he must of had a parachute. :dontknow:  If not, he’s not just crazy, but extremely crazy! :eek:

I want one! Seriously I want one.  I heard a jet pack manufacturer say this morning it likely happened but of the 4 companies that make them in the world nobody makes one that will go to 3000ft. Time for a little google work today

how about this motorbike instead

google search found this

With a 10,000 feet maximum altitude and 68 miles per hour forward flight speed, the JB10 can vertically lift a person off the ground from a tiny space and fly for up to 10 minutes. 

image.jpeg.dcd52b1a294bd00dd4b17cac82a0e479.jpeg

Joe Frickin' Friday
22 minutes ago, realshelby said:

I would also like to see the "blooper" video of it....

Check the first video I posted, starting around 1:31 (this link is cued to that time):

In other news, a Japanese company recently flew a helicopter with a vastly reduced footprint, employing eight fixed-pitch rotors and battery power:

Suitable for maneuvering in tighter spaces than you could fly a conventional single-rotor helicopter - although with fixed-pitch props, you won't be able to do an auto-rotation landing if something craps out on you.  

With that 8 rotor setup there may be some failsafes to rely on. 

OR...mount a Cirrus style parachute to the "rollbar". You don't have much directional control with autorotate either I dont' think!

• 2 weeks later...
Joe Frickin' Friday

Back in May, Ann Arbor eased a rule, making it easier for residents to start keeping chickens.   Bear in mind we are talking about suburban backyards, not rural homesteads.  

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, at which point we spot a chicken wandering through our yard (Barred Plymouth Rock, according to a Google search on "black and white striped chicken").  We've seen her pretty much every day since then - and about a week ago, she took to roosting overnight in a tree outside our kitchen window.  Amazingly punctual, she consistently hops up to her favorite branch between 6:15 and 6:30PM, doesn't matter if it's sunny or cloudy, she just knows it's time.  

I found out on Saturday she really doesn't like visitors:

• Haha 2

Greatpav, I've been touring for about 50 years.  Over the last ten years or so the term "professional truck driver" has dropped from my vocabulary.  Many (not all)  truckers these days are ill trained, un experienced, or just plain rude and unsafe. The skill, experience, and safety ethic is nil.  It's a job and there many newbies who have no clue.  jc

Edited by Red
grammar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
5 hours ago, Red said:

Greatpav, I've been touring for about 50 years.  Over the last ten years or so the term "professional truck driver" has dropped from my vocabulary.  Many (not all)  truckers these days are ill trained, un experienced, or just plain rude and unsafe. The skill, experience, and safety ethic is nil.  It's a job and there many newbies who have no clue.  jc

Hey Red

might be it's true.

• 2 weeks later...

Found this one from the New England Riders facebook page, great parody and Revzilla linked it.

Check out “SOMEWHERE ON THE MABDR?” from Putchfilms on Vimeo.

The video is available for your viewing pleasure at

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
Joe Frickin' Friday
On 9/16/2020 at 11:52 AM, TEWKS said:

Arnold wasn't always an A-list actor.  Here he is at age 22 in his first movie, Hercules in New York.  Such intensity and expressiveness!

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Joe Frickin' Friday

Anyone up for some speedballs?

First, Destin (the SmarterEveryDay guy) and his compadres build an air cannon that can launch a baseball at over 1000 MPH.  A lot of the video is about the design and construction of it, with field testing starting at 9:52.  If you just want to see a baseball behave like a liquid when it slams into a solid steel target, skip ahead to 19:58.

Those white shreds aren't thread, they're leather fibers.  These guys damn near atomized a baseball. 

Second video, Destin teams up with another YouTuber to study that guy's invention, a bat that virtually guarantees epic home-run hits with a gunpowder assist.  Lab testing starts at about 5:00, field testing starts at 12:33.

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
1 hour ago, Sonor said:

Bugatti Chiron - 304 miles per hour

Dayum.  That kind of speed in a ground vehicle is kind of terrifying to contemplate, especially considering how 20 years ago Mercedes was spontaneously flipping their cars off of the LeMans circuit at a paltry 185 MPH:

Car and Driver article here about the Chiron's speed run.  The article mentions VW's Ehra-Lessien test track, which has the 5.4-mile strait section where the speed run was performed:

More significantly, there is a high speed circuit with a straight approximately 8.7 km (5.4 mi) long. Although the straight portion of the track is perfectly flat and level for the entire length, when standing at one end of the straight one cannot see the far end due to the curvature of the Earth.

:cool:

That video reminds me of every time somebody is going to show me some stupid picture on their phone that I HAVE to see, then they scroll for 20 seconds trying to find it, then, just as they are about to show me, they pull it back and say "no, wait." More scrolling. "Oh, here it is." Then push it in my face and say "isn't that great?"

Yeah, great.

• Haha 1

Yeah, and they cannot be driven off.   I hope the truck drivers note the damage when they go to load them. HA    The auto transport companies usually get blamed, not the rail head personnel (or the rail road.) :dontknow:

John Ranalletta
9 hours ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

This might not buff out:

Appears rail car tops were purpose-built crumple zones.

Joe Frickin' Friday
4 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

Appears rail car tops were purpose-built crumple zones.

At the start of the video, you can see the first rail car has already been scalped.  I'm imagining this conversation in the locomotive:

<crumpling noises of first rail car being scalped>

Train operator: “you hear something?  Stop and back up.”

<train stops, backs up>

Junior: “I don’t hear nothing.”

Train operator: “OK, never mind.”
<full throttle forward>

Train operator: "Hey, there's that noise again.  Man, that's weird."

<train continues forward until someone notices the destruction>