IGNORED

Harley wins C.H.P. bid.

OldMotor

It just confirms once again that politics decides what motorcycle the officers will be riding.

I know from my federal contracting background that these kind of shenanigans would doom the whole effort. Even if they eventually awarded the contract, there'd be law suits from every other bidder claiming unlawful favoritism. (But of course in Kalifornia, they've already been that route with contracts the likes of the Oracle contract a few years back under Gray Davis, where the state ended up buying more Oracle licenses than they had employees, while Davis got a nice campaign contribution the day the contract was signed...). I know that these kind of "redo's" would doom the contract at the federal level, but maybe the state can make up their contracting rules as they go along. I just don't see how California can avoid a whole new RFP/rebidding process. And it's an election season too ... you'd think that stuff would be all over the news.

I never understand anything, when it comes to government .... eek.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Rumors are out again. Talking to an owner of a BMW shop yesterday. They are hearing from BMW reps, that HD is officially out and the bid will go out again. HD will be excluded from the new bid because of the problems with the motor.

Again, Rumors abound!

Rumors are out again..... HD will be excluded from the new bid because of the problems with the motor.

Gee, and after HD went to all the trouble to fill up a whole saddle bag with new-for-them ABS technology.

Rumors are out again. Talking to an owner of a BMW shop yesterday. They are hearing from BMW reps, that HD is officially out and the bid will go out again. HD will be excluded from the new bid because of the problems with the motor.

My guess is that the CHP was under considerable pressure and did the right thing by allowing the procurement to run it's course. It will be interesting to see what Honda and BMW do next time. The current ST13 is near the end of it's run and the R12RT is selling very well in the civilian marketplace. I just hope the CHP can get some new modern bikes soon.

Again, Rumors abound!

I just got the unofficial work from the MSP guys who just did Police Vehicle testing a couple of weeks ago at the Shelby Proving Grounds which included a Road King, Electra Glide and the 1200 RT (first time bikes were tested by them). Honda decided not to show. The Harley's had the 103 cubic inch motors and the 0-100 time for the Electra Glide was over 20 seconds....the 1200 RT-P was 10 seconds.......

I just got the unofficial work from the MSP guys who just did Police Vehicle testing a couple of weeks ago at the Shelby Proving Grounds which included a Road King, Electra Glide and the 1200 RT (first time bikes were tested by them). Honda decided not to show. The Harley's had the 103 cubic inch motors and the 0-100 time for the Electra Glide was over 20 seconds....the 1200 RT-P was 10 seconds.......

Well, yeah maybe, but the HD sounded like 8 seconds flat, right?? lmao.gif

Tell your friend that you can shave a second or two if you shift the 103 before it hits the rev limiter.

You can shave even more if you don't hold it against the limter for a second before you shift.

What I don't like about the 103 is that the power doesn't fall off before you hit the limiter - you're always bumping into the thing.

I didn't hear it was near the end of it's run, exactly, but one of the big magazines reported that they are redoing it as we speak. Your guess is as good as mine as to what that means.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

The interesting part about all of this is that we're going to see how far the current batch of 1150's are going to run before they start getting catastrophic failures. I'm sure most of them are over the milage at which the CHP returns them by now.

The current ST13 is near the end of it's run

Huh? Where did you hear that?

Honda have pulled the ST1300-P from the UK police market as they have been unable to rectify high speed handling problems on the police model. These problems do not affect the civilian model, probably due to the large amount of extra weight the police kit entails.

Andy

I tried with our department and they said, Mercedes is the safest car out there and you do not see cops driving Mercedes.

You are missing out on a treat ! We use E-Class mercs. on the motorway (like your Interstate, I think) & it's a great car.

Our ST1300's are all off the road for the forseeable future, as with most UK Forces, with the instability problems Andy referred to. Honda have pulled it from their range for police sales, & the R1200RT-P will hopefully get the nod. clap.gif

The current ST13 is near the end of it's run

Huh? Where did you hear that?

Honda have pulled the ST1300-P from the UK police market as they have been unable to rectify high speed handling problems on the police model. These problems do not affect the civilian model, probably due to the large amount of extra weight the police kit entails.

Andy

I didn't hear that the ST13 is near the end of it's run. I surmised it because of the quantum leaps that BMW has taken with the K1200GT and the R1200RT. I don't expect Honda to sit on their hands.

Ben White/Austin, TX

Then I guess Honda US hasn't received that bit of information as they are still advertising and selling the ST1300P to US Motor Units, most recently the South Carolina Highway Patrol, which is switching from BMW to Honda. Be interesting to see what Honda does with the update on the ST.

Then I guess Honda US hasn't received that bit of information as they are still advertising and selling the ST1300P to US Motor Units, most recently the South Carolina Highway Patrol, which is switching from BMW to Honda. Be interesting to see what Honda does with the update on the ST.

An interesting question would be how big a lawsuit So Carolina could bring against Honda when they start having highspeed issues. Given that Honda knew it was an issue and knew that the UK had removed all ST1300Ps from service I would imaging So Carolina could finance their next bike buy just by suing Honda when something goes wrong.

I really wish Sacramento was being more transparent about this. Given that it is my tax dollars going to buy these bikes and pay and train the CHP, I really want them on the best bike. Not the bike the governator thinks they should be riding.

I was suprised the CHP website didn't have an equiptment page that listed what vehicles the CHP uses. Suprised because the CHP shows up at car and motorcycle shows with examples from their fleet. And the officers will answer just about any question whose answer they know.

What really needs to be asked is how the State Troopers here think about it, "instability" problems and all. They are the ones having to ride them.

I'm sure that Honda would think twice before issuing what has been described as a defective bike by some here to Police Officers, a know group that pushes the limits to an authority platform.

Knowingly offering a product with a stability problem, I wouldn't think so... I mean, you can't even get the Pan European topbox here in the states because some lawyer somewhere deemed it a (stability issue) in the litigous USofA (meanwhile, a number of my riding buddies have them and seem to have no problems at all). And what of the other departments across the US riding them? Anyone here with experience as a motor officer comment on the ST1300's driveability (anything different than my solid as a rock STeed experience)?

I was suprised the CHP website didn't have an equiptment page that listed what vehicles the CHP uses. Suprised because the CHP shows up at car and motorcycle shows with examples from their fleet. And the officers will answer just about any question whose answer they know.

Try this site: http://www.dgs.ca.gov/default.htm

What really needs to be asked is how the State Troopers here think about it, "instability" problems and all. They are the ones having to ride them.

I'm sure that Honda would think twice before issuing what has been described as a defective bike by some here to Police Officers, a know group that pushes the limits to an authority platform.

Knowingly offering a product with a stability problem, I wouldn't think so... I mean, you can't even get the Pan European topbox here in the states because some lawyer somewhere deemed it a (stability issue) in the litigous USofA (meanwhile, a number of my riding buddies have them and seem to have no problems at all). And what of the other departments across the US riding them? Anyone here with experience as a motor officer comment on the ST1300's driveability (anything different than my solid as a rock STeed experience)?

My understanding is the ST1300P can not go faster than 120 mph, it has a govnor on it in the US. Some departments I think the SCHP has the ST1300A which they put on the lights and siren themselves. The A does not have the govnor nor the other cops stuff, like the trunk.

I can give an opinion, which is purely personal ie not official. I also openly admit, as you might expect of someone on this site, to being a BMW fan, but I hope I am still objective.

The ST1100 proved to be a cracking Police bike, tough as old boots & cheap to run. It was (is) surprisingly nimble, & very good value for money.

We anticipated that the 1300 would be more of the same - & up to relatively high speeds it's fine.

However, & there are many variables here, at high speed - shall we say 110+ - a weaving sets in, which CAN degenerate into an out & out tank slapper.

When the first serious injury RTA occurred Honda took it very seriously, as you might imagine, & sent Tech. staff to all users, to liase with Workshop Staff & officers, physically checking each machine & setting the suspension up. They also stressed the need to keep the screen down.

Sadly, a few months later an officer undergoing training was killed. The only good thing was that it was witnessed by three colleagues, able to give a lucid & unsensational account of events. The Inquest has yet to be held, & no doubt it will be thorough, but I understand that as part of the evidence gathering procedure, at least one, possibly more test riders have been engaged to report on the machine's suitability for purpose.We have heard rumours as to the outcome of these tests, & await the publication of them.

Meanwhile most UK Forces have "grounded" the 13000, whilst a few others have left them in use, but subject to a speed restriction.

I have been riding long enough to know that a lot of motorcycling is "in the head", by which I mean that if a rider loses confidence in the machine he will detect faults. For instance, on more than one occasion I have convinced myself that a rear tyre is deflating, & I have pulled over & stopped. Bike up onto the stand, walk around to the back, give the rear tyre a kick, & all seems well. Now ride off & the problem has disappeared; well, the opposite also applies. Now that the doubt is there, I am constantly aware of a gentle weaving, real or imagined, at say 90+.

I have to say that I no longer have confidence in the 1300, but fortunately we still have a few 1100's - I hope we join the queue at BMW GB to order R1200RT's.

Well, it looks like round 2 has started. The bidding process is open again. Looks like BMW, Honda and H.D. will all be submitting bids.

The commissioner has apparently told the Dept. of General Services (DGS) that the CHP needs a signed contract in 60 days..... We will see.

Well, it looks like round 2 has started. The bidding process is open again. Looks like BMW, Honda and H.D. will all be submitting bids.

The commissioner has apparently told the Dept. of General Services (DGS) that the CHP needs a signed contract in 60 days..... We will see.

In the Federal Gov't contracting rules, a company with a bad record for responding to RFP's in the past would be excluded from subsequent competitive bids as an "unqualified vendor". It's cost the state a two year procurement delay and probably, tens of thousands of dollars screwing around with H-D. After all the resubmissions and retesting trying to qualify H-D last time, I can't understand why they'll permit H-D to bid, unless the fix is in.

I really have no problem with the State putting CHiP's on H-D's if that's the best deal out there, and they meet the minimum specifications for safety and such. But H-D hasn't delivered, and they'll just screw up the bidding process again. Some Assembly or Senate member is getting his palms greased; this is a ludicrious way to do business. (Arnie may be the govenator, but he doesn't cut the checks, the legislature does.)

The way things are going, the State will do some rush job and end up with the equivalent of a YUGO on two wheels just to get something done.

I heard the same thing. Down south I heard that HD was not going to be allowed to rebid because they did not have a satisfactory product in the first place.

SOP. We'll see what happens.

In the Federal Gov't contracting rules, a company with a bad record for responding to RFP's in the past would be excluded from subsequent competitive bids as an "unqualified vendor".
If they change the RFP requirements then HD might not be unqualified anymore. crazy.gif
  • 2 weeks later...

Today there was an article in the local paper about the CHP contracts, with a few intresting tidbits in it. You can go here to read it, article , or so you dont have to sign up here is the article.

Moderator edit:

Please do not quote articles in full as it is breach of copyright, which is a breach of our User Agreement..

Thanks, Andy

So what's the Cliff's Notes version? Any progress on the whole issue?

The Harley contract's been canceled due to high speed wobble. The Santa Cruz dealership that had the contract says that the testing officers are lying, that they just want BMWs. The state's contracting group apparently intends to come up with an objective way of detecting high-speed wobbles that won't come from the testing officers. The contract's going to go out to bid with more precise requirements for stability. There are still 492 BMWs in the CHP fleet, with no officer lacking a ride (according to the article; I thought we'd read differently here.)

It ends with a line that could've come directly from BMW marketing but spoken by a CHP spokesperson:

The CHP formerly sold the motorcycles back to BMW at 60,000 miles because that was part of the contract, she said, but "there's nothing to say the bikes can't be run to 100,000 or even beyond."

Here is a quote from another forum from a motor officer in Manchester, UK regarding the Honda.

Our fleet manager has been recently shown a video of a Police motorcyclist testing out an ST1300 being followed by a Police camera car at speed but not mad speed and he said you could see the back of the bike moving from side to side more and more as it went on, they radioed the rider who was completely unaware of the movement. He said this highlighted the problems with this bike. He went on to us the following....

Although Honda have consistently disputed there being a problem with the Honda ST1300 most Police Forces in the UK have ceased use or even returned their ST1300's and as a result of this Honda have now officially withdrawn this motorcycle for Police use. As they do not produce any other suitable motorcycle of this type it appears Honda will not be supplying the UK Police with any more motorcycles for the foreseeable future. So due to this BMW has been inundated with orders for the K1200GT to fill the gap.So there are no bikes to be had untill next year .

So due to this BMW has been inundated with orders for the K1200GT to fill the gap.So there are no bikes to be had untill next year .
Hmmm... I didn't even know they made a police version of the k12gt. Cool. thumbsup.gif
I think an American motorcycle cop should be riding an American motorcycle. In fact, I think all U.S. national, state and local government branches should only purchase American made vehicles. I am always amazed that many people who are critical of American made vehicles conveniently forget that the governments of Germany, Japan and Korea actually support their home-based vehicle manufacturers and help them to thrive. Here in America, that seems to have become a foreign idea. No wonder our auto industry is floundering.
When an American manufacturer builds a bike with the performance, handling and technology of a BMW/HonSuzKawYam/yada yada yada, I'll buy one. (I've owned a Buell and 2 Harleys. They just don't compare.)

In a lot of procurement systems, there is a "Buy American" preference, though it often is only a tiebreaker--in other words, if two equivalent products are bid at the same price, the domestic product gets the nod.

Anyway, I'm perhaps a little conflicted by the considerations here. I'd opine that the BMW probably is a better product for patrolling highways and it offers some safety advantages. And, heck, as a BMW owner, it's kind of cool to see LEOs on BMW motorcycles! On the other hand, as a taxpayer, I'd hope that the performance considerations would be balanced against cost considerations.

Be honest with yourselves, gang--if you read a story about a government agency buying BMW, Mercedes, or Lexus cars for agency use, isn't there the slightest chance you'd be concerned about whether your tax dollars were being spent wisely? If the State of California is getting as great a deal on the Harleys as some report, then you left-coasters should be pretty happy about this.

"The Harley contract's been canceled due to high speed wobble. The Santa Cruz dealership that had the contract says that the testing officers are lying, that they just want BMWs".

I'll venture to bet that the next news we hear is a lawsuit that will put a halt to the bid until the attorneys figure it out in court.

That means those of us who like to buy run-out CHP bikes will either get a very good deal or a very tired motorcycle.

The Santa Cruz dealership that had the contract says that the testing officers are lying, that they just want BMWs.

Nosirree, no lack of tact there.... grin.gif

The article did say that there would be a lawsuit but that it would be for recovering costs the HD dealer spent to get the bike ready for testing. A quarter million dollars eek.gif

That seemed totally out of whack to me. Their hourly rate must be really high in Santa Cruz!!

Remember they had to customer build the bikes almost...

ABS, New motor, centerstand, ... etc....

That is a lot of work to select the components and build the bikes and test them... 250,000 isn't a lot when you consider multiple bikes, multiple motors per bike, pipes, centerstands, bags, abs, lights, bars... all of that has to be installed and tested and tweeked even before handing the bikes over to the CHP.

I'm suprised HD wasn't more directly involved in the development though.

Actually as I understand it those are all things that they are offering as options or stock on the Road King and Electra Glide Police Package motorcycles across the board. They didn't develop anything for the CHP that they weren't offering as options or stock to any other agency who wanted to purchase it.

Last time I talked to the local Harley salesman, ABS was only offered on police bikes, not new bikes for us common folk. frown.gif I didn't exactly feel the love from that corporate decision. I wanted ABS and that was the main thing that sent me looking at BMWs and Hondas.

Jim

Last time I talked to the local Harley salesman, ABS was only offered on police bikes, not new bikes for us common folk. frown.gif I didn't exactly feel the love from that corporate decision. I wanted ABS and that was the main thing that sent me looking at BMWs and Hondas.

Jim

I bought a Harley last year and as a consequence was asked to participate in a monthly "advisory board" via the Internet. Most of the questions pertained to HD merchandise so the "board" was clearly a marketing tool.

Last month one of the questions was "would I be interested in ABS and at what price?".

Apparently they are exploring the possibility.

I own and have owned Harleys for many years. That being said, if they can't build a factory Police bike, they should not be in the running at all. Having also owned an RT, if I was a Motor Officer, I would feel much better going 90 plus on an RT rather than on any Harley, or trying to stop from that speed. It is really hard trying to make a silk purse out of a Sow's ear so to speak.

I think an American motorcycle cop should be riding an American motorcycle. In fact, I think all U.S. national, state and local government branches should only purchase American made vehicles. I am always amazed that many people who are critical of American made vehicles conveniently forget that the governments of Germany, Japan and Korea actually support their home-based vehicle manufacturers and help them to thrive. Here in America, that seems to have become a foreign idea. No wonder our auto industry is floundering.
When an American manufacturer builds a bike with the performance, handling and technology of a BMW/HonSuzKawYam/yada yada yada, I'll buy one. (I've owned a Buell and 2 Harleys. They just don't compare.)

In a lot of procurement systems, there is a "Buy American" preference, though it often is only a tiebreaker--in other words, if two equivalent products are bid at the same price, the domestic product gets the nod.

Anyway, I'm perhaps a little conflicted by the considerations here. I'd opine that the BMW probably is a better product for patrolling highways and it offers some safety advantages. And, heck, as a BMW owner, it's kind of cool to see LEOs on BMW motorcycles! On the other hand, as a taxpayer, I'd hope that the performance considerations would be balanced against cost considerations.

Be honest with yourselves, gang--if you read a story about a government agency buying BMW, Mercedes, or Lexus cars for agency use, isn't there the slightest chance you'd be concerned about whether your tax dollars were being spent wisely? If the State of California is getting as great a deal on the Harleys as some report, then you left-coasters should be pretty happy about this.

I was told the same when we did our bid for our motors. Mercedes makes a safe vehicle, but we do not drive Mercedes for patrol cars. Well if it is about money then KIA makes a cheap vehicle. When our comittee did the numbers, BMW was the cheapest out of the Honda and Harley. You have to add in the lights and siren to the cost and the BMW is the best for the buck, when also add in warrenty.

Actually as I understand it those are all things that they are offering as options or stock on the Road King and Electra Glide Police Package motorcycles across the board. They didn't develop anything for the CHP that they weren't offering as options or stock to any other agency who wanted to purchase it.

I believe the motor et al were available as dealer installed accessories not as factory options. That puts a lot of work into the dealers lap. The ABS may be factory on police bikes but the bigger motor + center stand + more, are not.

I tried with our department and they said, Mercedes is the safest car out there and you do not see cops driving Mercedes.

You are missing out on a treat ! We use E-Class mercs. on the motorway (like your Interstate, I think) & it's a great car.

I think everyone is forgetting that you DO see a Mercedes police vehicle in the US now:

charger.jpg

Just because it happens to be American made doesn't change the fact it is a German company.

I live in Ca. If the CHP turned to BMW or other non-US cars that were more expensive I would be OK with it. That is provided it was bid on and the less expensive cars didn't pass the criteria. I would have a harder time believe it for a regular patrol car but for an intercepter type vehicle it wouldn't suprise me at all if the american muscle/sport cars didn't fit the bill. I could totally see a BMW or Mercadies or even a Japanesse interceptor.

A few weeks ago I was in Virginia City, NV, where I took this picture. Right now the local sheriffs are on the RTs that you see, but they got the two Harleys for testing (all decked out with the flame job on the fairing).

When questioned, they all agreed that the BMWs were better for "the job"--but they all said they'd rather ride the Harleys. Thus, the two officers you see on the Harleys were the senior officers in the department, who snagged the HDs on that basis.

Sometimes it just isn't about logic. In fact, with respect to Harleys, it's never about logic. If it were, Harley would have gone the way of Indian motorcycles long ago.

NHP.jpg

It is simple as to why this is all happening! It is all about money and politics IMHO! I too believe the RT-P is vastly superior to anything Harley has as a police bike! The cost should be in no way the issue when it is so close when averaged out over the life of the two bikes to be so close! The BMW is a better tool in many ways! Safety is the biggest! Many will argue that slow speed manuvers are more difficult! They may be a little but what stability and capability do for the BMW more than makes up for the very slow speed stuff. It can be done and I know it can because I did it. Yes, I dropped the bike but many did on many diffrent bikes including Harley! As far as visibility of the motorcycles the BMW can be seen from much further away with the lights that come with it! Most Harleys will never see those type lights as they are too expensive to pass through budgets and instalation cost where they are already on the BMW! I do not care at all where a product is built, other than wishing the US would somehow come up to meet the demand of such a fine and safe motorcycle! BMW Best Motorcycle in the World!

So due to this BMW has been inundated with orders for the K1200GT to fill the gap.So there are no bikes to be had untill next year .
Hmmm... I didn't even know they made a police version of the k12gt. Cool. thumbsup.gif

They don't - & BMW GB assure me, they won't - they offer the R900/1200RT, the R850R, & the F650GS.

http://www.bmw-motorrad-authorities.com/authorities/en/index.html

BMW here on the UK have picked up a lot of orders, but they are mostly for the 1200RT. Another contender, indeed the only real alternative, is the Yamaha FJR1300.

http://www.woodwayengineering.co.uk/index4b.html

Honda have pulled the ST1300-P from the UK police market as they have been unable to rectify high speed handling problems on the police model.....

Did you see the ad in the classifieds of last Wednesday's Motorcycle News (UK) ?? There was a fleet sale of ex-police ST1300's..........so, people voting with their....feet??

As for no K12GT-P (I claim that title prize! tongue.gif ), just you watch......there are already some K-RS and GT (older model) in use in different places, because the air-cooled RT's weren't liked/whatever. They have a habit of leaving the bikes running on the centrestand, so air-cooled RT's aren't exactly enanmoured with that kind of treatment, and water cooled motors suit that better.

It's only a matter of time, just you wait and see......

They don't - & BMW GB assure me, they won't - they offer the R900/1200RT, the R850R, & the F650GS.

BMW here on the UK have picked up a lot of orders, but they are mostly for the 1200RT. Another contender, indeed the only real alternative, is the Yamaha FJR1300.

There are several police forces around the Bay Area that use R1200GSs in police form... so you list isn't complete. For a while the bike was highlighted on bmwmotorcycles.com under the news section.

I've seen them in Mountain View, Santa Clara, and San Jose.

There are several police forces around the Bay Area that use R1200GSs in police form... so you list isn't complete. For a while the bike was highlighted on bmwmotorcycles.com under the news section.

I've seen them in Mountain View, Santa Clara, and San Jose.

It isn't my list - it's BMW's list.

Several UK Forces use the 1150 & now 1200GS - but they are not supplied by BMW in the UK or Europe as a Police bike.

The Forces concerned are free, as any customer is, to buy a bike & modify it as they wish, & several UK Forces have done so BUT it doesn't alter the fact that BMW do not, at this time, offer the 1200GS as a Police bike. Obviously that may change in the future if the potential sales outweighed the cost of ratification.

The bikes that BMW offer in Police spec. come complete, liveried up & ready to go; all we have to do is plug in our radio packs & place our County logo on the sides, & off we go.

In view of the Honda ST1300 situation, BMW in Europe are really uncomfortable with offering for sale a machine other than as a complete package, TUV approved, & here in the UK PITO ratified.

BMW in North America may or may not follow the same protocols; I wouldn't know, I only know about the European situation.

Incidentally we had he same issues with Mitsubishi over Police spec. Evo 10 FQ340's, but they are now on the road - what a car !!!!!

http://www.worldofbmw.com/content/article.asp?article=646&artDate=17/10/2006

Archived