IGNORED

Harley wins C.H.P. bid.

OldMotor

motorman587

I respect what you are saying. I also wanted to add that and this is no lie, when I was on the Harley for five years my left elbow would hurt with pain when I would open and close my fist while I was riding or off working in the yard. I finally fiqured it out that it was from the pull on the Harley clutch. Since being on the BMW no pain and I can compare it to the hard clutch pull vs. the nice hydraulic pull of the BMW. Also which you would rather ride, a bike that was 900 lbs or a 700 lbs that keeps the heat off with a nice smooth clutch pull, and has a lower gear for low speed and windshield that you can put down so you can have the air hit in the face.

I would not want to work for BMW nor Harley, I do this because I believe an officer should get the best tool for the job. I had to go through this last year on a committee for about 3 months. I was hit with, why is this bike better, why is the bike easier to ride, why is bike cheaper. I was able to show that BMW R1200RTP is cheaper, safer,easier to ride and is the best tool for the job.

The retired sergeant that works for the Authority Program at BMW is Chuck Downing. As of a month ago he was stll with BMW. He really works for A&S and I called him about our fleet of RTPs last month when we got our motors in.

Harley fixed the clutch problem in 06. The pull now is about the same as BMW.

They made the heat worse in 07. Even with after market leg shields, that sucker still will cook a leg in stop and go.

The retired sergeant that works for the Authority Program at BMW is Chuck Downing. As of a month ago he was stll with BMW. He really works for A&S and I called him about our fleet of RTPs last month when we got our motors in.

Thanks, I had forgotten his name since it's been several years since he ran our department through the demo drills.

There has been a lot of talk about the new easier clutch on the HD. I've heard it's engagement position drifts around as the clutch is worked during drills. Some of the riders are trying to find a cure (older, heavier springs)?

Okay, I hate to ask and sound like a duba#%, but did BMW win or did Harley?

dopeslap.gif

The procedure is that the winning dealer is notified. They then have to prepare one CHP unit for visual inspection, to ensure that all of the lights, sirens, etc. are all in their correct locations and meet the specifications of the bid. Once that is done, they must prepare two units for physical testing at the CHP's training center and track up in Sacramento.

I believe the first step has been taken and the bike has passed visual inspection. The two test units are now being built and outfitted with the required equipment and will be taken to Sacramento and turned over to the CHP.

The winning dealer appears to be Long Beach BMW.

The winning dealer appears to be Long Beach BMW.

That will be interesting. A car dealership that sells bikes on the side wins. I hope they're ready for the flood of bikes the CHP needs.

Congrats to Long Beach BMW. I hope they can handle the load. Their showroom is in a small corner of the auto dealership and has display room for only 3 or 4 bikes tops along with the apparel. I haven't seen their service department but I'm sure they'll be quite busy. All the folks that work there are quite friendly and knowledgeable.

Congrats to Long Beach BMW. I hope they can handle the load. Their showroom is in a small corner of the auto dealership and has display room for only 3 or 4 bikes tops along with the apparel. I haven't seen their service department but I'm sure they'll be quite busy. All the folks that work there are quite friendly and knowledgeable.

The CHP apparently now "owns" the bikes they have (can't turn them in under the previous, now expired contract). I'm wondering if the CHP included turn-in provisions for the old bikes under the new contract, i.e. if Long Beach will be receiving a flood of both new and turn-in BMW units. Or, if the CHP will just auction the bikes off.

In any case, I'm not sure if I'm interested in a used "Mary" unit with about 190K miles on it. grin.gif (Just kidding: I've heard that they are running them out to something like 75K or 90K, but these motors will be ..ahem... well broken in. Parts bikes??).

I was just at Long Beach BMW today. I was back in the service department with the dealer rep and there was a number of brand new R1200RTP's there. Some were loaded on a trailer obviously ready to take a trip somewhere. Long Beach BMW has sold used LEO bikes before. They are serviced there and you have to keep in mind, this is not a repair shop it is a service dept. If anything goes wrong, they just install new parts. Expensive but effective I guess.

I believe if you check it out again, that it was LAPD, not CHP, who stopped him. LAPD went to the Harleys more than a year ago. Good bike for low-speed, congested, city work. Low seat height. Low CG. Lack of cornering clearance not an issue. Timid acceleration (comparatively speaking) in heavy downtown traffic not an issue. Braking distances at those slow speeds, not an issue. All in all, not a bad tool for the job.

I actually agree with this - for one (maybe two) simple reason.

I own a R1150RT - basically what CHP is using right now. And I've owned a cruiser V-twin (non-Harley, but I've ridden a Road King - the LAPD 'choice', I believe). IMHO, if I had to depend on my beloved R1150RT as sole transportation in stop-n-go traffic at average speeds of under 35 mph, I'd be a very unhappy camper. IMO, the combination of an R engine, with a powerband fairly high up in the rpm range, and a tranny with fairly tall gearing (especially in the first three gears), makes for a VERY unfriendly 'city' bike. My 1150 is not a particularly happy companion when traffic lugs down to a steady 25-30 mph with lots of slight speedups/slowdowns. There never seems to be a great combination of gearing and rpm range for regular speeds much under 40 mph. A R/RT is a horse that's built to GO - and is much better suited to rural and freeway travel at 40+ mph (45+ plus in all reality) - state trooper range. A high-torque, low-rpm torque-producing engine like a HD V-twin OTOH, is greatly suited to lugging around town in low-speed traffic all day.

Personally - as much as I love my RT, if I had to depend on it for regular commutes of under 35 mph? I'd own a different bike.

Interesting observation.

I feel obligated to point out however, that the RT-P is a different animal than our civilian models. They have an aux cooling fan set-up for the idling and slow speed stuff and they have a different tranny as well. When Maynard's tranny is finally done, I'm going to put an RT-P tranny in--if nothing else but for the slightly more reasonable 6th gear. wave.gif

Interesting observation.

I feel obligated to point out however, that the RT-P is a different animal than our civilian models. They have an aux cooling fan set-up for the idling and slow speed stuff and they have a different tranny as well. When Maynard's tranny is finally done, I'm going to put an RT-P tranny in--if nothing else but for the slightly more reasonable 6th gear. wave.gif

I have heard that it is a RS rear end in the RTP, but don't quote me! Faster take off but a tad slower top end.

I was just at Long Beach BMW today. I was back in the service department with the dealer rep and there was a number of brand new R1200RTP's there. Some were loaded on a trailer obviously ready to take a trip somewhere. Long Beach BMW has sold used LEO bikes before. They are serviced there and you have to keep in mind, this is not a repair shop it is a service dept. If anything goes wrong, they just install new parts. Expensive but effective I guess.

From what I hear the 1200 RT-P's are being loaded for a trip to the CHP academy in West Sacramento for testing and evaluation. I also hear motor instructors from the Los Angeles County Sheriffs Office will be doing the testing at CHP. CHP staff is being told to stay away from the testing procedure.

So still Harley has a chance to win?

I got a retired R1150RT-P recently and

envy new R1200RT-P if it is a new bike for CHP confused.gif

skinny_tom (aka boney)
So still Harley has a chance to win?

I got a retired R1150RT-P recently and

envy new R1200RT-P if it is a new bike for CHP confused.gif

Harley didn't bid on the latest round. It's not likely that the BMW's will fail the testing. The last nail has been set on the coffin lid and the CHP is preparing to drive it.

• 4 weeks later...

According to a local CHP Officer here in the the L.A. area, BMW was the only company to place a bid in the last round. They won the bid and Long Beach BMW is already processing the CHP order for their new 2007 R1200RT-Ps. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

I was at the Mt. View California BMW dealership on Tuesday and talked to a CHP Officer riding a pretty beat up R1150RT. He said the deal is done and they (CHP) are getting the new R1200RT's. They should start to see service in July of this year (2007)

Cheers!

Perhaps after long last, it is time to re-write the title of this thread? thumbsup.gif

Something like "Harley wins C.H.P. bid; BMW delivers the bikes." grin.gif

Perhaps after long last, it is time to re-write the title of this thread? thumbsup.gif

Something like "Harley wins C.H.P. bid; BMW delivers the bikes." grin.gif

lmao.gif

I dunno about changing it though, with coming up on 50,000 views to this thread the current one seems to be working well to set some sort of record! blush.gifgrin.gif

JerryMather
According to a local CHP Officer here in the the L.A. area, BMW was the only company to place a bid in the last round. They won the bid and Long Beach BMW is already processing the CHP order for their new 2007 R1200RT-Ps. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Bummer.......I was looking forward to seeing a Harley up on the Crest instead of a BMW.

I think it's dispicable the way we treat our government workers. Police, fire, rescue, even our teachers. These people put up with alot from the public. Not only having to deal with them one on one, but getting killed and maimed by them on the Highway. Especially in CA..

I say, give em all more money and just to save a buck stop adding insult to injury by making them ride Harleys!!! This just makes me livid!! What a slap in the face to our public servents!

ISTHTRH!!!!!!! bncry.gif

• 1 month later...

Here is what I got today. As everyone knows, BMW received the contract and Long Beach BMW is putting the bike together. They should start going out by the end of summer.

There are approximately 50 reconditioned/refurbished 2003/2004 RTPs that were cleaned up and ready to put back out to the field. They will go out first before the 1200s get issued.

Now here's the kicker. All the old motors will be turned in at 100k miles. They will not be sold to the public. They will be terminated. There will be two persons present when a bike gets turned and they will be the witnesses to ensure the bike gets crushed. Literally crushed. I guess the department is worried about liability.

Sorry to be bearer of bad news.

Im looking at the bright side. I will be riding a 1200 soon. Woo Hoo!!!

Here is what I got today. As everyone knows, BMW received the contract and Long Beach BMW is putting the bike together. They should start going out by the end of summer.

There are approximately 50 reconditioned/refurbished 2003/2004 RTPs that were cleaned up and ready to put back out to the field. They will go out first before the 1200s get issued.

Now here's the kicker. All the old motors will be turned in at 100k miles. They will not be sold to the public. They will be terminated. There will be two persons present when a bike gets turned and they will be the witnesses to ensure the bike gets crushed. Literally crushed. I guess the department is worried about liability.

I want one of those crushed RTP's. Can you find out what it takes to get one for me? It'll make a great coffee table!

ISYHTRAH

harleyjohn45

why would they crush them, there has to be at least one good part left on a 100k mile bmw. i suppose their stop sign cameras are paying off pretty good now.

why would they crush them, there has to be at least one good part left on a 100k mile bmw. i suppose their stop sign cameras are paying off pretty good now.

chp doesn't get the camera revenue. the cities do. can't be all that good; LA bought harleys.

James Clark

They're trying to hide the true salvage value of the bikes from the bean counters.

This could be bad for those wanting a used -P bike in the future in another way. If the CHP is driving these to 100k they might just study the maintaince required between the usual 60k and 100k and realize that maybe they can put many more miles on the bikes without that much additional maintence. Unfortunatly that means they will either continue to terminate the wonderful machines bncry.gifbncry.gif, sell them specifically for salvage bncry.gif or end up selling very high millage bikes frown.gif .

Anybody know at what millage HDs get retired?

This could be bad for those wanting a used -P bike in the future in another way. If the CHP is driving these to 100k they might just study the maintaince required between the usual 60k and 100k and realize that maybe they can put many more miles on the bikes without that much additional maintence. Unfortunatly that means they will either continue to terminate the wonderful machines bncry.gifbncry.gif, sell them specifically for salvage bncry.gif or end up selling very high millage bikes frown.gif .

Anybody know at what millage HDs get retired?

Harley's don't retire they die an untimely death.

ISYHTRAH

ISYHTRAH

Best I can tell Harley Davidson sold somewhere in the vicinity of 94,000 - 97,000 units in the first quarter of 07..I wonder how they did that? confused.gif

Best I can tell Harley Davidson sold somewhere in the vicinity of 94,000 - 97,000 units in the first quarter of 07..I wonder how they did that? confused.gif
Dunno, but the National Enquirer's circulation numbers are over one million. Not sayin' that there's any correlation there . . . I'm just sayin' numbers don't always mean that much . . . . wink.gif
Harley's don't retire they die an untimely death

Well, they'll prove their worth if they last as long as this thread. (When this thread started, there were still new '05 Harleys in the showrooms.) crazy.gif

That's possible, but I doubt it. There are such things as liability waivers to cover that problem, and besides, there's no harder entity to sue than the "King" (e.g. government). If this applies to RT-P's, how about the trucks, cars, and other vehicles that the state sells to the public by the thousands every year. If just one of those had a loose lugnut (or some nut created a "loose lugnut situation), imagine the liability potential.

I'm guessing that this has something to do with some unelected official deciding that he's seen too many "black and white" ex-CHP motors on the road without CHP officers riding them. I wouldn't be shocked if the CA legislature writes law outlawing B&W colors even for retired police vehicles. Perhaps there's merit in such a decision; perhaps not. (After all, an all-white or all-black RT-P with the crash bars and such still looks pretty "official", i.e. it's the profile of the bike as much as the colors that gives it a distinctive look.)

This is all guestimation, but @ perhaps $3500 to $4000 per bike wholesale/auction, times what - 200? 500? bikes, it's a big chunk of change to "crush". Heck, even at salvage rates, they could draw $2K to $3k per bike. After all, they're USED, not flood-damaged or wrecked.

Seems to me talking to Stout, he was going to consficate one of Padadena's BMW's stating that a portion of the Crest is in Pasadena and he had a right to acquire it under eminent domain.

Haven't seen him up there lately. Plenty of Squad Cars HP and Sheriff though.

The paving's finished and is loverly. wave.gif

First of all isn't this thread dead yet? I was up on the Crest yesterday coming home from an overnighter up at Camp Scheideck to see a buddy who was having a birthday party at Newcomb's. On the way up 9 Mile Rd. there was a CHP in a cruiser writing up a guy on a sport bike. The rider did not look happy AT ALL. Next, there was a bike accident about 4 miles from Newcomb's which I was told needed the helicopter to take the guy out and then on the way home there was another CHP cruiser inspecting a bunch of sport bikes. He seemed to be looking for illegal stuff on the bikes and had about 4-5 people stopped. Just another busy weekend at the Crest. It keeps reminding me why I don't go up there much anymore.

ISYHTRAH

America, the land of lemmings.

ISYHTRAH

ISYHTRAH

ISYHTRAH

Aren't we fortunate to be members of such an elite group? lmao.gif

ISYHTRAH

ISYHTRAH

Aren't we fortunate to be members of such an elite group? lmao.gif

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

ISYHTRAH

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This is the latest.

There is no end in site for CHP motorcycle dilema. There have been some technical issues with the motorcycle. Apparently, the BMW Code 3 lights are not DOT approved. Also the saddle bags are the wrong color. They have white lids and the specification calls for all black. Other minor little chicken Sh_T issues.

The CHP is going to purchase 10 1200RTP and put them out to the field for testing. The CHP motor staff have blown up two motors in their sustained high RPM testing. [Consensus is that 87 octane was used in the motorcycle. CHP fleet contract fuel is 87 octane]. Even though Calif DGS has approved the motorcycle, the CHP say they will have the final say as to which motorcycle will be selected. Further tests will follow.

Final selection of the motorcycle is not anticipated until the end of summer 2008 dopeslap.gif . Meanwhile, approximately 90% of the current BMW CHP motorcycle fleet is running between 80k to 95k miles. Motorcycles have to be turned in at 100k miles.

louisvillebob

Apologies for the thread hijack, but I have enjoyed reading through all 50 pages of this sorry story (too cold to ride much), and I wanted to add a note of appreciation for all the motor LEOs out there. We appreciate ur contribution to public safety (even as we try to avoid the tickets). Good work and ride safely.

Archived