IGNORED

Harley wins C.H.P. bid.

OldMotor

It isn't my list - it's BMW's list.

Several UK Forces use the 1150 & now 1200GS - but they are not supplied by BMW in the UK or Europe as a Police bike.

The Forces concerned are free, as any customer is, to buy a bike & modify it as they wish, & several UK Forces have done so BUT it doesn't alter the fact that BMW do not, at this time, offer the 1200GS as a Police bike. Obviously that may change in the future if the potential sales outweighed the cost of ratification.

My point was BMW NA even had an article about the authority GSs on their site and seemed to indicate that it was *at least in the US* an officailly supported bike. I can't find it on the site anymore... :-(

It isn't my list - it's BMW's list.

Several UK Forces use the 1150 & now 1200GS - but they are not supplied by BMW in the UK or Europe as a Police bike.

The Forces concerned are free, as any customer is, to buy a bike & modify it as they wish, & several UK Forces have done so BUT it doesn't alter the fact that BMW do not, at this time, offer the 1200GS as a Police bike. Obviously that may change in the future if the potential sales outweighed the cost of ratification.

My point was BMW NA even had an article about the authority GSs on their site and seemed to indicate that it was *at least in the US* an officailly supported bike. I can't find it on the site anymore... :-(

& I also said this "In view of the Honda ST1300 situation, BMW in Europe are really uncomfortable with offering for sale a machine other than as a complete package, TUV approved, & here in the UK PITO ratified.

BMW in North America may or may not follow the same protocols; I wouldn't know, I only know about the European situation."

I wonder if the fact that you can't see the GS on the site is due to the "fall out" from the European Honda ST1300 saga ? After all, one is led to believe you aren't exactly short of "ambulance chasing" lawyers over there

• 2 weeks later...

Any new information on this topic? Did the GOA branch of the California State government settle or what is going on? Any word on the test results? eek.gif

Well, the bidding process just started over. Honda and BMW are both going to bid. Have not heard if HD is going to try again or not. As far as 300 bikes ordered, I would not doubt it. CHP has approx. 175 bikes to replace right now.

Well, the bidding process just started over. Honda and BMW are both going to bid. Have not heard if HD is going to try again or not. As far as 300 bikes ordered, I would not doubt it. CHP has approx. 175 bikes to replace right now.

I would not be surprised if Honda were to offer the ST 1300 at a very low price to get some exposure. It remains to be seen how the ST will perform in the high speed stability tests.

skinny_tom (aka boney)
I would not be surprised if Honda were to offer the ST 1300 at a very low price to get some exposure. It remains to be seen how the ST will perform in the high speed stability tests.

Just what we need. eek.gif Another company to offer unproven bikes that will delay the purchase of replacement bikes even longer.

I was talking to a CHP motor officer the other day on the side of the road at an accident scene. He had just been issued an R1100RTP (yeah, an 1100) with 75,000 miles on it and he said that there are very few bikes in their stable with less than 60,000.

Harley needs to GTF outta the way and spend a lot more money on R&D before the next bid. I wonder how much money this failed collusion between the Governator and Harley has already cost the taxpayers of this state?

Based on UK experience, poorly.

• 4 weeks later...
This is ridiculous!!! A year has passed and no contract for new bikes.

This is ridiculous!!! A year has passed and no end in sight for this thread.

wallbash.gif

This is ridiculous!!! A year has passed and no contract for new bikes.

This is ridiculous!!! A year has passed and no end in sight for this thread.

wallbash.gif

+1! dopeslap.gif

I guess the CHP is unwittingly doing some research/advertising on how long their Authority bikes can go! thumbsup.gif

Oh, and nice new avatar, OldMotor!! lmao.gif

I heard again only rumor that CHP has ordered 300 R1200RTP. This was from my dealer telling us to order our 9 quickly, not to get stuck in the 300 units.

Go to the politics section of today's (Sunday12/17) Sacramento Bee (www.sacbee.com) for more dirt on the CHP bid practices!!

I went to read the SacBee story, but it requires one to be registered. How can I read the story without registering? TIA.

I wonder how much money this failed collusion between the Governator and Harley has already cost the taxpayers of this state?

Look on the bright side; it couldn't have cost near as much the illegal aliens, drug users, drunk drivers, tax cheats, military fraud, deadbeat Dads, and so on.

I do not have a lot of love for upper management. But if you were a private sector company, would you check out the builders for a multi-million dollar purchase? How much were they wined and dined compared to the purchase price?

I also tend to hold judgement on anything the Sacramento Bee prints until I have thought about it.

KMG_365,

I must admit, I thought that pic was too funny to pass up.

• 4 weeks later...

This is what I heard today. There is no longer a bid process for the selection of the new motor. An independent, unbiased consulting firm will be contracted to look at all motors, ie: HD, BMW, Honda. They will look at that RAW data for all motors up for bid and make a decision. Raw data being, performance, cost, reliability, etc.

The only thing I see is that the consulting firm will not have any "motorcycle riding" people. They will not know of the documented and inherent highspeed wobble that the HD has. They will not know the needs of the CHP officer in the field and what we want and expect. Just another ploy from the HD lawyer to shove the HD down our throats.

This is what I heard today. There is no longer a bid process for the selection of the new motor. An independent, unbiased consulting firm will be contracted to look at all motors, ie: HD, BMW, Honda. They will look at that RAW data for all motors up for bid and make a decision. Raw data being, performance, cost, reliability, etc.

The only thing I see is that the consulting firm will not have any "motorcycle riding" people. They will not know of the documented and inherent highspeed wobble that the HD has. They will not know the needs of the CHP officer in the field and what we want and expect. Just another ploy from the HD lawyer to shove the HD down our throats.

No such thing as "unbiased". The bias will be on how the data is weighted; is performance more important than cost? how much more important? how is performance measured? how are costs measured?

I kind of agree with you; looks like tables are set for a final, political decision. If there are no bids, then there is no way to lose. This sounds like what Congress does, everything a controversial issue comes up. They have a third party run a study, based on the ground rules they establish, which of course bias the study, and then they use the study as grounds for voting for what they wanted to do in any case, but didn't have the guts to propose themselves.

This "unbiased" consulting group will provides the justification for buying HD, because that's what the Govinator and certain State Senators and Assemblymen seem to want.

We'll see, I could be wrong, but the more "rebids" that occur, the more likely that the results will be manipulated to a predetermined end.

Hey, look at it this way, had we lost to HD, I would not have like it, but I got paid to ride. You are as good of a rider as the motor is.

I just read the last few pages of this thread.

It was mentioned that the old CHP contract with BMW specified returning the bikes to BMW when they had 60k miles.

I'm just curious. How many miles would CHP typically put on a car before selling it? More than 60k?

I just read the last few pages of this thread.

It was mentioned that the old CHP contract with BMW specified returning the bikes to BMW when they had 60k miles.

I'm just curious. How many miles would CHP typically put on a car before selling it? More than 60k?

The patrol vehicles are being pushed from 100K to 110K miles. The motors are now going to 100K. Approximately 80% of the CHP motor fleet have 80-85K + miles on them. Once they reach 100K, motor officers are told to park it and get in a car since there are no more new motors.

• 1 month later...

Hey, its not that bad, I patrol NYC on a Piaggio BV200. Everyday, some dope, thinking he's the first person to say this, goes, "What happened to your Harley". I look at him with a straight face, and say, "They all broke down".

The guys doing the around town duty will be OK if they get Harleys. Roadkings handle slow speed stuff real well. The guys I'll feel sorry for are those on freeway duty. They are just not designed for high speed work.

skinny_tom (aka boney)
If after this is all over, HD does win out, I am gonna die laughing! lmao.gif

I thought this whole freakin' ordeal was about making sure that Harley "won out." Except their bikes didn't perform to spec so they were rejected anyway...

Or did I miss something?

• 4 weeks later...

Bidding is closed. Bids are in and being reviewed. A decision is forthcoming.

Interesting rumor. Based on the "new" specifications and performance parameters in the latest bid proposal, no one but BMW dealers submitted a bid. Again, rumor only. Time will tell.

I thought this whole freakin' ordeal was about making sure that Harley "won out." Except their bikes didn't perform to spec so they were rejected anyway...

Or did I miss something?

Nope, you didn't miss anything.

I hope and pray that NONE of the leos charged with riding them DIE laughing or any other way! thumbsup.gif

This hopefully won't become a "Show me the money" decision but one based on performance thumbsup.gif......

Let us know the result please......

Phil........Redbrick

This hopefully won't become a "Show me the money" decision but one based on performance

Phil........Redbrick

You know darn well that it's all about money! eek.gif

• 3 weeks later...
On another thread on this board http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/849320/an/0/page/0#Post849320,There is a CHP Harley motor. What's up with this? confused.gif

I believe if you check it out again, that it was LAPD, not CHP, who stopped him. LAPD went to the Harleys more than a year ago. Good bike for low-speed, congested, city work. Low seat height. Low CG. Lack of cornering clearance not an issue. Timid acceleration (comparatively speaking) in heavy downtown traffic not an issue. Braking distances at those slow speeds, not an issue. All in all, not a bad tool for the job.

CHP, on the other hand, will be riding the new BMW R1200RT-P for the next 3 years. When the performance, braking and handling specifications for the recent re-bid were written, both Harley and Honda read them and bailed. There were only three bids. All from BMW dealers.

Paul Mihalka

CHP, on the other hand, will be riding the new BMW R1200RT-P for the next 3 years. When the performance, braking and handling specifications for the recent re-bid were written, both Harley and Honda read them and bailed. There were only three bids. All from BMW dealers.

Great! thumbsup.gif Is your Governator going to ride a Beemer? wink.gif

Great! thumbsup.gif Is your Governator going to ride a Beemer? wink.gif

Naw. Everyone knows that Hungarians, not Austrians, make good riders. thumbsup.gif

motorman587
On another thread on this board http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/849320/an/0/page/0#Post849320,There is a CHP Harley motor. What's up with this? confused.gif

I believe if you check it out again, that it was LAPD, not CHP, who stopped him. LAPD went to the Harleys more than a year ago. Good bike for low-speed, congested, city work. Low seat height. Low CG. Lack of cornering clearance not an issue. Timid acceleration (comparatively speaking) in heavy downtown traffic not an issue. Braking distances at those slow speeds, not an issue. All in all, not a bad tool for the job.

I been on motors for 15 years and I do not know where you have gotten your information on Harley's been a great town down, low speed etc........ I work in the city limits and hated the Harley's and so did my squad members. Acceleration is an issue if you are going after a speeding car downtown or not. Braking at low speeds is an issue and the best brakes are needed at any speed. I respectfully disagree about the Harley being a great downtown tool. Also I like to add that the heat that v-twin lets out in the summer at low speed just burn the inner thighs making it very uncomfortable. The windshield on the BMW can be lowered to allow air to the rider which adds in comfort. Also the adjustable seat on the BMW makes it a vehicle very rideble for any size rider.

John, when you retire (or before) BMWNA should recruit you to be their authority bike sales executive wink.gif

They already have a retired CHP motor Sergeant covering that position. But you never know when he might retire from his retirement job. grin.gif

I been on motors for 15 years and I do not know where you have gotten your information on Harley's been a great town down, low speed etc........ I work in the city limits and hated the Harley's and so did my squad members. Acceleration is an issue if you are going after a speeding car downtown or not. Braking at low speeds is an issue and the best brakes are needed at any speed. I respectfully disagree about the Harley being a great downtown tool. Also I like to add that the heat that v-twin lets out in the summer at low speed just burn the inner thighs making it very uncomfortable. The windshield on the BMW can be lowered to allow air to the rider which adds in comfort. Also the adjustable seat on the BMW makes it a vehicle very rideble for any size rider.

John, I respect your opinion and your experience. What I was going from is this. We serviced LAPD BMW's for some years. Some of those officers became civilian BMW owners, so we still see them on a somewhat regular basis. They give the HD a fairly good report for heavy downtown L.A. use. No, they don't like them on L.A.'s freeways, but on the crowded city streets where even 25mph is difficult, they think the bikes are fine.

I see your points, however. Still, without first-hand experience, I have to trust that at least in L.A.'s environs, the HD is a decent tool for the job. But it sure ain't for the CHP.

Archived